Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
I don't think you'll be able to actually get him to get stuff into a playable state, because he's very clearly enamored of this awful thing, but tell him to look at some of the other pokemon tabletop games out there, and also to burn it all to the ground.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

quote:

"For example, let's say you want to know how much damage Tackle does. You open the app, notice that the Power is 40. You duplicate the 4 and that gets you the type of die you should roll for damage, in this case a 1d8. You round anything below 40 to a 1d4 and you divide accuracy by half to get your to-hit bonus rate. You add +1 to damage per every 10 Attack you've got over their respective defense and you add +1 to hit and damage per every 5 Speed you've got the enemy Pokemon. I'm a tad annoyed at how simple the conversion system turned out but it'll have to do until I can find a more efficient formula.

Just reading this bit gave me a sharp pain above my left eye.

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you
He needs to be made aware that not everyone knows all the pokemon stuff by heart, especially if they've only played one game years ago. Not everyone has that knowledge in their brain. Also that he's trash because the game shows you how much HP the enemy have, not numerically mind you, but you do see how close a thing is to getting KO'd so you know when you are most likely to capture it so if his game doesn't do that its even more super bad than it already is.

Burn it down. He won't fix it and it'll always be bad so the best you can do is not play it.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

EthanSteele posted:

He needs to be made aware that not everyone knows all the pokemon stuff by heart, especially if they've only played one game years ago. Not everyone has that knowledge in their brain.

that guy knows this, he's very obviously designed the system to reward you for having that knowledge. there's no way that the problem here is ignorance

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
I have nothing kind to say about about your friend the Pokemon mastur. He's missed the point of Pokemon almost to the degree of someone writing My Little Pony rape fic, and... seriously, he's making you write OOC tests on the subject, while obfuscating everything you'd reasonably know IC? This is PG Magical Realm poo poo.

Edit: I had a GM who did this kind of thing with Star Trek. Huge Trekkie, enormous Trekkie, astronomical grognard. He just didn't understand that none of the rest of us gave anywhere near the same degree of a poo poo about the subject.

Bieeanshee fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Jan 20, 2019

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

also shame on the players going 'but ackshually you can't control it all' when in games a loving ten year old can get the Pokegods of Time and Space to beat up a little slug just because the kid asks it to.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
setting aside the thematic meaning of pokemon (which, really, who cares) it is admittedly a game about charop and how well you understand an obscured and fairly complex mathematical system

the thing to keep in mind though is that your actual build decisions in pokemon are fairly simple and condensed, which is very important when you're probably going to be doing a bunch of them, and that the obscurantism is one of the series' biggest flaws (and one the earlier games are more guilty of by far)

e: the GM controlling everything and growth responding to what you do rather than your decisions also tells me this person has a really bad case of engineer brain. decisions are inherently interesting to engage with. complex systems are not. they're interesting to design, but that literally does not matter when you're talking about a game that will actually be played

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Jan 20, 2019

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
That bit about being annoyed at how simple the math conversion was is a pretty clear indicator of engineering brain, yeah.

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

"Federal regulations mandate that at least 30% of our content must promote Reptilian or Draconic culture. This is DJ Scratch N' Sniff with the latest mermaid screeching on KBLD..."

i can't hate on the guy for that. he's a grog doing his grog thing and he's got absolutely no self awareness about it at all and the only actually bad thing about it is that it happened to involve other people.
you do you, grog. your system sucks but that's okay because you're having fun making it :downs:

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Azran posted:

I guess this is sorta cat-piss - a friend of mine is trying to make his own Pokemon RPG. And he's using D20 for it. Today he asked if we could come over and give it a try and oh god:

The system
  • Likewise, all enemy stats are also obfuscated. We are meant to capture Pokemon while mentally keeping track of their health based on their HP from the videogame. He refused to tell us what the catch rate formula was and instead said the formula was also a stripped down version of the one used in the game, so we were free to try and reverse engineer it ourselves if we really wanted to know.

I'll bet a dollar on "it's not stripped down at all" while I'm here.

Aniodia
Feb 23, 2016

Literally who?

Azran posted:

I guess this is sorta cat-piss

quote:

There are feats
Damage and to-hit formulas are done by him
insists on sticking to the game's values and effects
we are not meant to know what the other people in our party can do
Likewise, all enemy stats are also obfuscated.
He also said types were also hidden information, including enemy type.
how well we did on a 6-question exam about Pokemon lore
Critical Fumbles were A Thing, too.
sorta cat-piss

:wtc:

This sounds like that old Returners Final Fantasy RPG, in that someone took something that worked perfectly fine in a video game and tried to make it work without electronics, except they kept all the math that was able to be done by computers in milliseconds and have shoved it onto human players and dice-based methods and are hoping it works exactly the same.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
Oh from a creative standpoint, absolutely, go hog wild. In fact, if you want to tell me about your ideas and look for feedback, feel free. Just, uh, don't make me play it. He's the reason I'm on permanent DM duty - he's willing to play pretty much anything and likes that I go for relatively rules-light systems, in comparison to 5e at least, since that is all the group gets to play during the rest of the year since we all live in different parts of the country. It's just that whenever he gets to be DM it's always going to be a painful player vs DM slog because he really likes that and the rest of the group is used to that. I once got called 'too merciful to be a DM' by like half the group because I refused to kill a character who rolled a 1 while swinging a flail at low HP.

The most bizarre aspect by far is that he loves heroic systems but he runs them trying to be as deadly as possible. I think I posted it over on the DW thread, but he once tried to run DW at my suggestion (he was looking for a light D&D-adjacent game for a one-shot). When we actually got together to play, he showed us his reworked ruleset which included grid movement and the removal of any narrative-affecting move (even stuff as inocuous as "You can ask 'what here is evil' when you pray") from the selection of playbooks he had curated. The changes to the rules themselves included no experience on a miss because he didn't like the idea of people looking to fail to cheat the system, the removal of 'truthfully' from any 'the GM must answer' clause, etc. It's astounding how dedicated he is to the idea that the heroes are meant to be bumbling, incompetent idiots, no matter the system.

Regular board games though? He's a great person to play with and he's a ton of fun. It's just RPGs that get him like this, it seems.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Yawgmoth posted:

I'll bet a dollar on "it's not stripped down at all" while I'm here.

It's amazing how insane this formula is when the actual in-game tutorials just emphasize reducing its HP and applying Sleep or Paralysis, and that works. The only reason to go into this math is if you want to know the exact % chance to catch something is, and that's because you're mad as hell something won't just get in the loving ball.

Pokemon has a lot of amazingly complex math behind it and understanding most of it is completely unnecessary to enjoying the game, and it seems like this DM has forgotten that.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

also the pokeball formula changes significantly across-generations so knowing it doesn't guarantee that you'll know how HIS system works.

Tempest_56
Mar 14, 2009

Aniodia posted:

sorta cat-piss

:wtc:

This sounds like that old Returners Final Fantasy RPG, in that someone took something that worked perfectly fine in a video game and tried to make it work without electronics, except they kept all the math that was able to be done by computers in milliseconds and have shoved it onto human players and dice-based methods and are hoping it works exactly the same.

As one of the people who made that game, I take offense.

We never did anything nearly as bad as this abomination. It was ugly and bad, but

quote:

"For example, let's say you want to know how much damage Tackle does. You open the app, notice that the Power is 40. You duplicate the 4 and that gets you the type of die you should roll for damage, in this case a 1d8. You round anything below 40 to a 1d4 and you divide accuracy by half to get your to-hit bonus rate. You add +1 to damage per every 10 Attack you've got over their respective defense and you add +1 to hit and damage per every 5 Speed you've got the enemy Pokemon. I'm a tad annoyed at how simple the conversion system turned out but it'll have to do until I can find a more efficient formula.

That needs to be dragged out back and shot.

Seriously Azran, :sever:.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.

Azran posted:

I said I'd think of useful feedback, but nothing comes to my mind except for "burn it all down" :v:
I was thinking "eat a bag of dicks."

Seriously, it's awful and full of so many RPG red flags that I would give it the widest of berths.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

Azran posted:

I said I'd think of useful feedback, but nothing comes to my mind except for "burn it all down" :v:

"This is aggressively unfun for me and I do not want to play it again" is useful feedback.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

"This is aggressively unfun for me and I do not want to play it again" is useful feedback.
I think for it to be actually useful you have to add "...because [reasons, so many reasons]" in there. Or just show him this thread.

I remember trying to make a d20 pokemon game way back in high school, and it was just something like "basic pokemon get 1d8 HD, stage 1s change to d10s, stage 2s get d12s" with types determining saves and bab. Attack damage was something like 1d6 per 20 or something lazy like that. I don't remember how I did pokeballs and catching pokemon but it was something I could do in my head.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
I know "d20 causes brain damage" is a thing, but seriously this is some serious d20 brain damage.

One of the few saving graces of my first lovely college RPG hackjob was at least it wasn't d20

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

3d6 for life

Pope Hilarius II
Nov 10, 2008

Two months ago I began to DM after our previous DM quit, and we're now getting sights on the end of the campaign (the official DnD 5e 'Storm King's Thunder' campaign). Does anyone have good pointers for a follow-up campaign for players that are around level 10-12?

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Splicer posted:

I know "d20 causes brain damage" is a thing, but seriously this is some serious d20 brain damage.

One of the few saving graces of my first lovely college RPG hackjob was at least it wasn't d20
Is it really "brain damage" if all you're exposed to is D&D with VtM as "the game that weird kid with all the cuts on his arms wants us to try"?

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

"Federal regulations mandate that at least 30% of our content must promote Reptilian or Draconic culture. This is DJ Scratch N' Sniff with the latest mermaid screeching on KBLD..."

It's still awful even if you don't know any better, yes.

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011

Azran posted:

[*]I asked who were the artists of the fake Pokemon he used because the designs were neat and I wanted to check them out in more detail and he said he couldn't tell me that if he wanted to keep the sense of wonder alive and asked us not to google till we were done with the playtesting.

This would have been an excellent time to tell this idiot that you are, in fact, done with playtesting his unfun grognard bullshit.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.
The Pokemon DM sounds like one of those guys who designs and programs one of those god awful "mature" pokemon fan games. You know, the ones where all the fun is replaced with bullshit and grinding and use of the word gently caress being substituted for depth.

There might be a fun system for rolling random encounters, battling and capturing random mons, but 1) this aint it. 2) The games already exist. He's not just re-inventing the wheel, but he's committed to making it square.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

The pokemon reborn LP thread liked the story

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Yawgmoth posted:

Is it really "brain damage" if all you're exposed to is D&D with VtM as "the game that weird kid with all the cuts on his arms wants us to try"?
I meant pokemon guy but yes I'm sorry the sickness is inside you.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

I started running Dragon Heist for some friends of mine a couple weeks ago. We've only had the one session so far since holidays and my work schedule have gotten in the way, so, they're still in Xanathar's hideout, looking for Volo's friend

One of the players is brand new to D&D, she elected to play a kenku druid named Squeak, named for the pet mouse from her Urchin background.

Prior to entering the sewers, they took a long rest, since the fight in the warehouse kicked their rear end and they wanted to go in fresh.
I see no problem with that, the quest isn't really on a strict time table and I didn't want to tpk them on their first mission, so, they find a cheap inn for the night.

They enter the sewer, and at the part with the goblins at the arrow holes, they made enough noise that the goblins woke up and started shooting at them.

Squeak rushed up and stuffed one of the hotel pillows she had made a point to steal into the arrow hole so that they'd quit getting shot at long enough to circle around and corner the goblins.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

That's fantastic, I think you got a keeper there.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company
Well loving done Squeak. That is a good player.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

The most essential part of the Adventurer Experience is accumulating random crap to pull out the moment the GM forgets about it.

Rorac
Aug 19, 2011

And here in my own campaign I'd figured I'd just one-up the goblins by stuffing a gun into the hole and shooting back.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
My guys were actually quiet in the sewers which surprised the poo poo out of me.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Josef bugman posted:

My guys were actually quiet in the sewers which surprised the poo poo out of me.

Squeak made it a point to splash around.
For some reason, her character is dedicated to being a filthy bird person, and she wasn't going to waste a chance to splash around in nasty rear end sewer water.
This of course led to the bard and the warlock asking her "Why would you do that?" fairly loudly and informing Squeak that it was, in fact, gross and disgusting.

Freudian
Mar 23, 2011

Should I (18f) kick my boyfriend (20m) out of my D&D campaign

quote:

My boyfriend recently Introduced me to playing Dungeons and Dragons and I found it really fun. I talked about it with my friends (who live on my freshman female dorm floor) and they said they would be down to play if I would DM (Dungeon Master, basically orchestrate the game).

My boyfriend was super supportive, and as I was fairly new to the game he was super helpful in answering my questions and stuff.

He took me to a game store where I bought a starter set D&D pre written adventure that also came with a basic rule book.

Being the DM, I generally have the final say in how things are done. Eventually I got the hang of things and my boyfriend began to condescendingly suggest how to run the sessions as well as try to include complicated rules that aren’t applicable in the simple game that I bought (intended to bring characters from level 1 to level 5)

I asked him to stop and he agreed that he was overstepping and promised to work on it.

Then we get to session 0 where people make their characters. My friends had little to no experience with D&D prior so he was really helpful to have around.

Then I had to prepare my DM book for the actual campaign. I spent about 6 hours in total preparing 16 pages of campaign. Every time I tried to excitedly tell my boyfriend about my progress he would condescend and bring up things I could possibly be doing wrong.

Then we get to the actual campaign. Since it’s simple and We’re playing with absolute beginners I’m making what to do pretty obvious and he’s completely disregarding it and trying to do out of the box spells and actions because he knew I wouldn’t have that kind of stuff prepared. I.e. “there’s a letter on the ground in front of you, would you like to open it?” “I light a match and set it on fire”

My friends were even asking him to stop in the game, he was being that obnoxious.

Later I broke down in the car because I was so frustrated and he only showed remorse when I was crying. He maintained that he didn’t do anything wrong and wouldn’t reason with my intention to have an easy game to get my friends into playing long term.

He’s a great guy and I love him, but he has a problem with needing to be the center of attention and being an rear end in a top hat in an attempt to be funny.

TL;DR -my boyfriend encouraged me to DM a game of dungeons and dragons with my beginner friends -was a condescending rear end in a top hat about the process by which I was running the game that I was elected to run -ruined my first ever experience as a DM by purposefully unraveling my plot and causing unnecessary difficulty

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Sever.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.
:agreed:

Freudian
Mar 23, 2011

Which artery were you thinking?

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

and someone in that reddit brings up a good point that's obvious in hindsight but rarely noticed: collaborative games like this really tells you a lot about the person.

And given this guy is condescending, rude, refuses to stop even when it's clear he knows he's ruining people's fun, he - and I don't like using the term lightly is toxic. I hope OP not only kicks him out, but breaks up with him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Robindaybird posted:

and someone in that reddit brings up a good point that's obvious in hindsight but rarely noticed: collaborative games like this really tells you a lot about the person.

And given this guy is condescending, rude, refuses to stop even when it's clear he knows he's ruining people's fun, he - and I don't like using the term lightly is toxic. I hope OP not only kicks him out, but breaks up with him.

I would suggest the same for the same reasons.