Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
She's just so out of her depth and an awful statesman.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

May modifying the Good Friday deal is somehow going to end with a unified Ireland that contains Scotland as well.

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

She's so unwilling to change anything about her EU deal she's gonna gently caress with the GFA instead?? This can't be real. How is this even supposed to work. How can she think there's time for this kind of nonsense?

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid

Glenn Quebec posted:

She's just so out of her depth and an awful statesman.

I'm always quietly pleased when the news is on at work and someone says they feel sorry for Theresa may

because then I can explain to them at length why she's a loving moron who created a hell of her own making that we all have to live in by making the single stupidest, most shortsighted decision she possibly could at every point, you moron, you idiot

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

hobbesmaster posted:

May modifying the Good Friday deal is somehow going to end with a unified Ireland that contains Scotland as well.

celtic union when

Bear Retrieval Unit
Nov 5, 2009

Mudslide Experiment

:yeshaha:

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

This related Op-Ed made me lol

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

UMMMM

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

(and can't post for 25 days!)

Raskolnikov38 posted:

celtic union when

"Celtic Republic" has a nice ring to it you have to admit. Hell, get Wales and Brittany in there too why not.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

I fear that the universe is too stacked against the welsh for that to happen

Ika
Dec 30, 2004
Pure insanity

What is she going to do, cross out the work not in the text "there will not be a hard border"?

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
https://twitter.com/hendopolis/status/1087112946726174721

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

how do you amend an agreement that;s already been signed

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

how do you amend an agreement that;s already been signed

if the involved parties want to amend an existing agreement it can usually be done.

but lol @ trying this with the good friday agreement of all things

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

All the IRA guys gotta go back to prison.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Hentai Jihadist posted:

we're gonna get an extension, may will continue to do nothing, we run out of time again. we do a second ref. vote to leave again. process restarts

this is actually likely because brexit is the only thing keeping May in power, even british chuds can't defend her so they're rallying around brexit instead

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013

Truth is game rigging is more difficult than it looks pls stay ded
The good friday agreement is one of those things that even if you're going to do some stuff that's against it, you should just quietly do the stuff whilst still paying lip service to the good friday agreement. You shouldn't just say gently caress the good friday agreement.

Like that poo poo has never ever been followed to the letter, everyone knows it's a slightly idealistic thing and when the reality doesn't quite match the agreement you gloss over it because the idealised symbol that can be pointed at is valuable/noble/useful in itself.

Getting real sick of tories loving about with things more important than they are lads

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Hentai Jihadist posted:

She's not going to change her deal, her only plan is to wait until it's her deal or no deal and that hasn't changed just because of a little thing like a historically resounding defeat.

We've basically got a moronic dictator who parliament refuse to get rid of because of arse covering and decorum. We coulda got rid of her after the contempt vote but the very foundation of UK politics is that the powerful must never be punished.

Neville Chamberlin?

hakimashou posted:

And it's all because you don't iodize your salt.

In another thread somebody explained ring mains and having to wire your own plugs and I genuinely thought they were bullshitting me

Re Scotland splitting, one hilarious thing about it would be that Royal Navy facilities, including the port where your ballistic missile subs dock, would be in another country I guess?

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Vitamin P posted:

The good friday agreement is one of those things that even if you're going to do some stuff that's against it, you should just quietly do the stuff whilst still paying lip service to the good friday agreement. You shouldn't just say gently caress the good friday agreement.

Like that poo poo has never ever been followed to the letter, everyone knows it's a slightly idealistic thing and when the reality doesn't quite match the agreement you gloss over it because the idealised symbol that can be pointed at is valuable/noble/useful in itself.

Getting real sick of tories loving about with things more important than they are lads

"but what has the good friday agreement done for us recently?"

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Me (Clueless): There's no way she can top this.

An insane mind
Aug 11, 2018

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

Me (Clueless): There's no way she can top this.

Narrator: She did

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013

Truth is game rigging is more difficult than it looks pls stay ded
It's interesting how every single good thing Blair ever accomplished has been or is in the process of being torn down.

Inequality is the only issue, if you don't have the guts to tackle that then every valuable thing, done by you or not, will inevitably be degraded and sacrificed. Inequality is everything.

twoday
May 4, 2005

C-SPAM Times best-selling author
Anthony Burgess was right

twoday
May 4, 2005

If you like reading about disastrous coups that lead to the destruction of the UK, check out the CABAL ministry

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib
http://ruralconservative.co.uk/the-car-crash-involving-hrh-the-duke-of-edinburgh-our-response/

quote:

The car crash involving HRH The Duke of Edinburgh – our response
By Robert J Davies

A TWEET from the Rural Conservative Twitter account yesterday generated quite a lot of debate – by our standards anyway. For those who haven’t seen it, we wrote the following:

“How very disrespectful of the police to breath-test His Royal Highness, the Duke of Edinburgh, following his car accident today. Let us all give thanks to God that Prince Philip emerged uninjured. Our thoughts are with him tonight.”

[...]

I chose, on behalf of the Rural Conservative Movement, to express displeasure at this and here’s why: it is my view that it was not necessary on this occasion. Had there been fatalities or serious, life-changing injuries then it would have been different but that was not the case.

I can't tell parody any more. I hoped for a moment that I had stumbled on some kind of neo-Day Today project but I think this site is legit.

quote:

Once you start ploughing that furrow you will end up saying that there is nothing special whatsoever about the Royal Family and that we are not to accord them any privileges at all, in any shape or form. That they are just like us, just one of us, and should be treated accordingly. Fine, but then that is the end of the Monarchy as we know it.

Clyde Radcliffe
Oct 19, 2014

Any idea of tearing up the GFA is just the worst.

One of the very few good things the Blair government managed to a achieve was the NI peace process resulting in the GFA, leading to the IRA laying down arms and committing their movement to purely political means.

Any form of Brexit shits all over the GFA. It was an agreement written up and passed into law by two EU member states under the assumption that both states would remain part of the EU for basically forever.

The DUP position is loving mental, in true DUP fashion. They have always been opposed to the GFA, and a return to the violence of the past is not seen as a bad thing from their perspective, as sectarian hatred and bigotry is the driving force behind their politics.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

An insane mind posted:

Is there even something she can give the DUP that won't piss off the Tory rebels or vice versa? Or create new rebelions from scratch?

No. She can't even unify her own party because there's too many people very pro Brexit and almost as many pro Remain.

A second referendum would have a majority in Parliament but probably would not have a majority of her own party and she cares more about keeping her party from splitting than the country at large.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

ReelBigLizard posted:

http://ruralconservative.co.uk/the-car-crash-involving-hrh-the-duke-of-edinburgh-our-response/

I can't tell parody any more. I hoped for a moment that I had stumbled on some kind of neo-Day Today project but I think this site is legit.

Anybody who isn't a republican in 2019 is basically a child.

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

As for privilege – theirs has been a life of remorseless duty. The Duke retired from public life less than two years ago, already well into his 90s. The Queen’s service to the nation will be lifelong. Not for them the privilege accorded to the rest of us, of working until we’re about 60 and then enjoying a long retirement, doing as we please.

And he's done it, ladies and gentlemen! He's put the whole boot in his mouth! Incredible!

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
overthrow the monarchy or move to almost any other country :shrug:

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
imo we should simply pretend that E2 is the eternal undying monarch for the rest of time and just do away with all other trappings of royalty etc, no updating coinage, no drunken princes nearly murdering people

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

Anybody who isn't a republican in 2019 is basically a child.

is Jeremy Corbyn a republican? figure i would have heard more about it if he was

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

i say swears online posted:

is Jeremy Corbyn a republican? figure i would have heard more about it if he was

He is absolutely a republican and has stated that when the Queen dies no one should succeed her.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Corbyn refused to bow to the queen or kiss her hand, or something that makes manchildren mad for disrespecting mommy.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

lmao that owns, nevermind

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

not a cult posted:

As for privilege – theirs has been a life of remorseless duty. The Duke retired from public life less than two years ago, already well into his 90s. The Queen’s service to the nation will be lifelong. Not for them the privilege accorded to the rest of us, of working until we’re about 60 and then enjoying a long retirement, doing as we please.

And he's done it, ladies and gentlemen! He's put the whole boot in his mouth! Incredible!

please respect the queen, who tirelessly has to live in an opulent palace waited on hand-and-foot while occasionally appearing in parades thrown in her honor

Bryter
Nov 6, 2011

but since we are small we may-
uh, we may be the losers
When Corbyn was appointed to the privy council there were literal weeks of non-stop fevered speculation in the papers about whether he would or would not kneel and kiss the Queen's hand because British journalists' brains are riddled with parasites

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Baloogan posted:

imo we should simply pretend that E2 is the eternal undying monarch for the rest of time and just do away with all other trappings of royalty etc, no updating coinage, no drunken princes nearly murdering people

build the Golden Throne

twoday
May 4, 2005

I’m pretty seriously concerned about the wellbeing of my British friends come springtime. April will surely be the cruelest month.

It’s been a car crash in slow motion over the past couple of years, sure, but now it’s really getting to be crunch time, and there’s not much of that slow motion sequence left.

Some of you are still joking about it and keeping a stiff upper lip, while others are preparing for something like the siege of Sarajevo. I think one severe problem at hand is that almost everyone in the U.K. who didn’t live through the blitz on some level fundamentally believes that they, as a Brit, are not ever going to be subject to the famines and crises which are experienced by other countries.

Food shortages? In my Britain? It’s more likely than you think.

Please take care of yourselves, Britgoons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Bryter posted:

When Corbyn was appointed to the privy council there were literal weeks of non-stop fevered speculation in the papers about whether he would or would not kneel and kiss the Queen's hand because British journalists' brains are riddled with parasites

i like how the uk tries to pretend it's no longer a monarchy sometimes and then whoops