Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

LastInLine posted:

Well the official Dark Sky app is where I was going to start. It looks like to get the to-the-minute data and notifications it's $3/year but survey money makes that a non-issue.
Thanks. I don't yet hate this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Since we're talking about weather apps now, what's everyone's favorite radar app/section of an app? I've been using Storm Radar for a while and it's... fine, I guess.

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000
I am a slimey vat of concentrated stupidity

Fun Shoe

hooah posted:

Since we're talking about weather apps now, what's everyone's favorite radar app/section of an app? I've been using Storm Radar for a while and it's... fine, I guess.

Do you want real radar? RadarScope is the raw data feed that the chasers use.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

FunOne posted:

Do you want real radar? RadarScope is the raw data feed that the chasers use.

$10 is too much for something I'll look at once a week or so, and it's probably more specialized than I know how to read.

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!
I'm getting tired of the official Twitter app working like poo poo. What's a good unofficial app?

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

BisterdDave posted:

I'm getting tired of the official Twitter app working like poo poo. What's a good unofficial app?

Stevie Lee
Oct 8, 2007

BisterdDave posted:

they all suck pretty hard

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Please offer actually useful advice, the thread title is ancient.

https://www.androidcentral.com/flamingo-one-best-twitter-clients-android-dead

https://www.androidauthority.com/fenix-reaches-twitter-token-limit-689158/

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

CLAM DOWN posted:

Please offer actually useful advice, the thread title is ancient.

Guess I’m more out of the loop than I thought. I used Fenix back in mid-2017 for a bit on an LG G6, didn’t realize it was so long ago, so I figured it was still viable. My bad.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

I still use Flamingo, and can use Fenix, but that's because I bought both before they were removed, so I tend to forget that that happened.

The developer of Fenix has made Fenix 2. No idea when it will hit the token limit.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Variable_H posted:

Guess I’m more out of the loop than I thought. I used Fenix back in mid-2017 for a bit on an LG G6, didn’t realize it was so long ago, so I figured it was still viable. My bad.

You aren't wrong, the new Fenix is about as good as you can do now that Flamingo is no more. That's not to say it's good, but it definitely exists. ETA: Fenix 2 is what I was referring to.

There's also the Twitter Lite client, which I think is just a webview you can pin to your app drawer. It's better than the official client but again, low bar. The only reason I know about it is that Flamingo asks you to install it so it can piggyback for notifications.

ClassActionFursuit fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Jan 15, 2019

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Didn't twitter change something with the main feed/timeline to cripple third party apps despite the token limit?

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Yeah, it was their APIs or somesuch and it crippled everything. Tweetbot on iOS went from being the best Twitter client to just a decent once due to all of the features it lost.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

CLAM DOWN posted:

Didn't twitter change something with the main feed/timeline to cripple third party apps despite the token limit?

Some things, yes. Some things flat out aren't supported, like polls, and other things like notifications aren't available. I think there's some limit on refresh rate. Plenty of quality of life things just to make it miserable.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

CLAM DOWN posted:

They are always working on new ways to do this, yes. Not sure to what extent they've managed at present.

Ghostpilot
Jun 22, 2007

"As a rule, I never touch anything more sophisticated and delicate than myself."
I don't know how it stacks up to some of the other options, but I've been using Talon to access Twitter for a while now.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

gently caress twitter.

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!
Cool, thanks everyone. Guess I'll check out Fenix 2 and Talon for now.

Also,

CLAM DOWN posted:

gently caress twitter.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Wtf, Chrome Beta changed back to the old tab UI

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Maybe update the thread title so people don't get confused? Genuine suggestion

stevewm
May 10, 2005

Zorak of Michigan posted:

I never used Bluetooth for anyone other than basic telephony or audio functions before, but my new car can browse some of my phone's audio apps, like Google Music or Rocket Player. I don't know what that feature is called, but does anyone know a podcast player that offers it and that also works with Android Auto? It would be nice to have easy access to the same podcasts whether I felt like wiring my phone up or not.

This is a feature of Bluetooth called Media Browsing. Any app that hooks into the MediaBrowser API in Android will appear here. PocketCasts is one such podcast player that does exactly this. It exposes a few elements like New Releases, Unplayed Podcasts, a full listing of all your subscribed podcasts, etc... I use it this way all the time in my car, its pretty nifty.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

vyst posted:

Maybe update the thread title so people don't get confused? Genuine suggestion

I'm open to better ideas!

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

CLAM DOWN posted:

I'm open to better ideas!

I'm not sure it was ever appropriate to switch away from Grimbo's Blog tbh

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

i have a nexus 9 that's stuck on android nougat (so not very new, but not ancient either) and i want to occasionally use it as a secondary monitor. i'm only looking to buy an app only if there's no sub involved. i think splashtop requires a subscription.

my general use case is when i'm playing games on my main monitor and want to watch some youtube videos during the wait times and to also occasionally watch a clip before i go to bed which would move the tablet away from my monitor by about 20 feet or so. i'm okay with some delayed response as long as the movie streams fine. but based on my use case would prefer one that can handle via usb and wireless.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Why not just do those things natively on the tablet?

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

because my hand is already on my mouse and keyboard so reaching for touch controls is more of a hassle.

if i'm at my bed and i'm going to watch a quick youtube video sure, i may just use the native app but that doesn't solve my other requirements.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Strong Sauce posted:

because my hand is already on my mouse and keyboard so reaching for touch controls is more of a hassle.

if i'm at my bed and i'm going to watch a quick youtube video sure, i may just use the native app but that doesn't solve my other requirements.

You can't extend the PC desktop to the tablet. But you can use remote viewers like VNC to control the tablet from the PC. You'll pull up a second window on the PC and open the video on the tablet's native app. Not simpler or better than simply using the tablet standalone. Don't you let go of the mouse or keyboard to scratch your nuts?

Kirk Vikernes
Apr 26, 2004

Count Goatnackh

Need a quick recommendation for an easy to use music player that can play a mix of mp3 and flac files. My wife wants music on her phone for down time at work. I still have 100+ gigs on one of my drives in our HTPC and just need something with a user-friendly interface once I load her SD card.

BTW, I realize it's 2019, but she's an x-ray tech and mobile data is non-existent in that part of the building and the wifi has all the streaming services blocked.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Mammal Sauce posted:

Need a quick recommendation for an easy to use music player that can play a mix of mp3 and flac files. My wife wants music on her phone for down time at work. I still have 100+ gigs on one of my drives in our HTPC and just need something with a user-friendly interface once I load her SD card.

BTW, I realize it's 2019, but she's an x-ray tech and mobile data is non-existent in that part of the building and the wifi has all the streaming services blocked.

PowerAmp? It's $4, but plays both MP3 and FLAC.

foutre
Sep 4, 2011

:toot: RIP ZEEZ :toot:

Strong Sauce posted:

i have a nexus 9 that's stuck on android nougat (so not very new, but not ancient either) and i want to occasionally use it as a secondary monitor. i'm only looking to buy an app only if there's no sub involved. i think splashtop requires a subscription.

The best option I've found is actually still splashtop, just the wired version.

E: this only works with a USB connection, but honestly the wireless ones generally had so much latency it wasn't worth it anyway : https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.splashtop.xdisplay.wired.pro.

I believe it's a one time $7 fee. Still some weird display issues sometimes, but it was the best of the ones I've tried.

foutre fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Jan 19, 2019

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.

Mammal Sauce posted:

There's a bunch of these. As far as I know, they all offer either lite versions or trial versions, so just download several and have her actually pay for the one she likes most (assuming she needs the extra features, etc). Personally I use Rocket Player, but mostly because I like the iSyncr/iTunes rating integration.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=another.music.player

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.maxmpz.audioplayer

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.jrtstudio.AnotherMusicPlayer

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=in.krosbits.musicolet

rolleyes
Nov 16, 2006

Sometimes you have to roll the hard... two?
Regarding the changes to Weather Timeline, someone I know emailed the original developer earlier and got the response quoted below.

Tl;dr: unsustainable costs, no real options to increase monetisation that wouldn't cause even more problems, and Weather Underground killed their API anyway. Doesn't sound like anything nefarious is going on, but it's sad that even such a nice app as that can't be profitable.

quote:

I’m sorry to hear you’re having trouble with the app. Unfortunately due to rising costs and dwindling downloads, I had to unpublish the app last September. Charging so little for unlimited access to weather data is not feasible. The average user uses about 25 requests a day, which is 9125 requests a year, or 71p. The cost of the app only gives me 69p after Google takes their cut and VAT, so after about a year of usage you have already costed the same amount you paid for. I had no other options, increasing the app price would mean nobody downloaded it, and introducing an in-app subscription would make everyone angry as they would have to pay for the app again, and again, and again. Users have revolted against subscriptions in Dark Sky since it was released, and that’s for a free app with subscriptions, I’d be asking for them for a subscription in a paid app. I’ve gotten emails wishing that I get cancer because I added a donate button in a paid app, so I don’t even want to think of what people would be hurling at me if I did that. On top of this, Weather Underground killed their API when IBM bought them a few weeks ago so that would have had to be removed anyway.

The app was rescued by the company who makes the MyRadar app, which is an app with millions of downloads and happy users and some of the best radar tech in the business. They are a team of people with their own scientists who can really take the app forward. They have already introduced faster notifications for rain and will probably add their great radar into the app soon (both things that I would have loved to have down, but don’t have the resources for).

In a perfect world, or one with fewer costs and higher downloads, I’d keep the app going myself, but that’s just not the case. If you have any specific issues then you can contact support@weathertimeline.com or the contact option on the play store page.

Dyscrasia
Jun 23, 2003
Give Me Hamms Premium Draft or Give Me DEATH!!!!
I noticed the change during a Weather Timeline update last night. Alot of new 1 star reviews regarding a potentially problematic privacy policy regarding your location data with MyRadar. I'm not sure if it's any worse than other weather apps. The new bad reviews could just be backlash.

Dyscrasia fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Jan 20, 2019

rolleyes
Nov 16, 2006

Sometimes you have to roll the hard... two?
The policy doesn't look particularly nefarious although some reviews are saying it's not GDPR compliant, which I'm not in a position to comment on. My main gripe is that MyRadar forecasts for where I live are crap.

I'll give it a while to see if the new owners undo any of the damage, but will probably end up using Dark Sky instead since the UI is fairly similar and the forecasts are better.

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.
Oh hey the Weather Underground widget and app seem to have stopped crashing on load on Android 9 now, so I might just go back to that since MyRadar isn't great at forecasts for my area either.

hedgecore
May 2, 2004
Hello I made a very serious live wallpaper. I hope self promotion is okay.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.stephanwozniak.dvdwallpaper

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

hedgecore posted:

Hello I made a very serious live wallpaper. I hope self promotion is okay.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.stephanwozniak.dvdwallpaper

Lol I'll allow it

BoldFace
Feb 28, 2011
I love how you implicitly acknowledge breaking copyright laws by explicitly denying it.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Lol my battery is going to go dead from me trying to watch the logo perfectly hit a corner like in the office

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
Anyone been having issues with Android auto not re-enabling wifi after you turn it off/get out your car?