Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

LIVE AMMO ROLEPLAY posted:

This would have zero problems passing as a parody completely unchanged.

lol yeah, for sure- but it also reads as super-real if you've ever worked in an environment where this kinda thing is normal

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

yeah those wasteful federal employee welfare queens with their rnb ringtones and new balance sneakers always buying expensive lobster with their free obamaphones - someone very smart who reads the capitalism.txt/.png thread

not compensating people for work is bad, not compensating the full value of work is bad, and it is my sincere hope that this shutdown encourages a lot of people to reconsider this whole "wages" bullshit before the murderdrones come to the first world with the same gusto as their middle east deployment.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Zombiepop posted:

My Gf is in this situation since her roomie moved out , she can move to a cheaper apartment, roughly half the size of her current one and save as much as 50€/month! Sometimes it's just not worth moving to a smaller place.

I live in a university city so there just aren't any small apartments available for a reasonable price.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Speedway had a page about all the things they had employees do in miserable weather that was supposed to inspire us or something?

*This store manager didn't leave for two days
*This crew person slept in their car in the parking lot
*This person got a room at the hotel next door

gently caress you Speedway.

Zombiepop
Mar 30, 2010

Jerry Cotton posted:

I live in a university city so there just aren't any small apartments available for a reasonable price.

Capitalism!

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Peanut Butler posted:

the cost of your lovely Plantronics $50-$75 headset is deducted from your first check,

Ha ha funny.

Wait what you're serious? What's next, your desk and chair?

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

cakesmith handyman posted:

Ha ha funny.

The hydraulics on my chair started going out fall 2017 and I asked for a new one and was told "soon". By March if you sat down you would go straight down and when standing up the chair would spring upwards.

Since a new chair was pushed back because "we're getting remodeled soon" I took it on myself to fix it. Now I have the squeakiest, grindiest chair in the office due to the PVC pipe grinding on the base and rubbing against the part that leans back. But my chair is at a height that doesn't cause me pain after extended use.

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

spacetoaster posted:

I work with a shitload of federal employees.

- They buy a house that's too big (for example I work with a guy who has no kids, but he and his wife live in a massive home because they could get a big loan for it).
- They lease really nice cars
- They eat every meal at a restaurant. Like, every meal. It's crazy.
- They have a lot of expensive, re-occurring, bills. Stuff like gym memberships, club memberships, etc, etc.
- Expensive as gently caress cellphones and a plan to match
- And they just buy a lot of....stuff. Clothes, jewelry, electronics, furniture. All on credit because they don't have the money to pay cash for anything.

That's the layout for at least 5 guys I work with personally.

If you replace "federal employees" with your minority of choice and replace your suburban stereotypes with the stereotypes of the minority of choice, this is the exact same bullshit Reaganites spouted about welfare queens.

So 1) I don't believe you and 2) I think you think you're better than these people and you probably aren't.

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

cakesmith handyman posted:

lol yeah at the gov't contractor they said some horseshit about "this allows us to give you good benefits and it's a durable piece of equipment that'll last your whole career here, it'll pay for itself, blah blah"

at the shadier one where I sold satellite radio the line was a least more honest, "we have a contract with the manufacturer so you have to buy them"

scrooge mcduck, his face indicating capitalism

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

spacetoaster posted:

- They buy a house that's too big (for example I work with a guy who has no kids, but he and his wife live in a massive home because they could get a big loan for it).
- They have a lot of expensive, re-occurring, bills. Stuff like gym memberships, club memberships, etc, etc.
- And they just buy a lot of....stuff. Clothes, jewelry, electronics, furniture. All on credit because they don't have the money to pay cash for anything.

Given that I work in a field where anyone and everyone can google each other's income, it's INSANE to me how many people make as much or more than me, but don't save any money. Sure, you don't know what someone's background and some come from big money and don't need pay whereas I grew up with free school lunches, WIC, etc, so I didn't come from anything resembling having money. But holy poo poo, watching people retire after 20-30+ years of work with no option other than to work until they die makes no loving sense given the benefits and pay. These same folks will then bitch about how kids these days don't make enough money and buy too many video games, etc, despite being in the top quintile of the US pay scales, living in cheap-rear end cost of living locations.

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

if you have constant and unceasing propaganda infiltrating every aspect of our lives bombarding people to go out and buy poo poo don't be surprised when people go out and buy poo poo

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

spacetoaster posted:

Yeah and you waste your money on internet forums.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Hey everyone. Guy too stupid to understand why saving money is pointless here, and let me tell you why the poor are lazy,

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

comedyblissoption posted:

if you have constant and unceasing propaganda infiltrating every aspect of our lives bombarding people to go out and buy poo poo don't be surprised when people go out and buy poo poo

it's not just that either. if people stopped doing what the post describes, the global capitalist system would collapse in a couple months tops. they *have* to live outside their means or capitalism fails

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
Old rich man voice: If I were Freaky Fridayed into a poor person of color, here’s what I’d do!

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

mlmp08 posted:

Old rich man voice: If I were Freaky Fridayed into a poor person of color, here’s what I’d do!

Use your penis since it's functioning for the first time since the Reagan administration? :v:

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Use your penis since it's functioning for the first time since the Reagan administration? :v:

realistically, probably get beat up when they start using the N-word now that they think they’re the right color to do so as well as reflexively saying “I’ve heard of that” every time a book or article is mentioned.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Speak for yourself. I know what it’s like being black, I watched the wire.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

22 Eargesplitten posted:

I wrote The Wire. Le bloque, c'est moi.

Pooky
Aug 29, 2004

I post fox news so u don't have to 💋

22 Eargesplitten posted:

As an owner of all 4 seasons of The Boondocks on DVD I can say for certain that...

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Pooky posted:

As an owner of all 4 seasons of The Boondocks on DVD I can say for certain that...

That's how I know you're a fake. It was poo poo without Aaron McGruder.

Wait, poo poo, that part wasn't ironic.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

22 Eargesplitten posted:

That's how I know you're a fake. It was poo poo without Aaron McGruder.

Wait, poo poo, that part wasn't ironic.

Such a massive drop in quality it was insane

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

spankmeister posted:

Ah yes and this anecdotal evidence of course holds true for all federal employees.

Yes. Every single one of them, without exception.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

spacetoaster posted:

Yes. Every single one of them, without exception.

The underlying premise of the whole argument is flawed because "if everyone just stopped living outside their means" then the consumer economy would collapse and we'd be in Great Depression II.

Moridin920 has issued a correction as of 22:31 on Jan 20, 2019

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Moridin920 posted:

The underlying premise of the whole argument is flawed because "if everyone just stopped living outside their means" then the consumer economy would collapse and we'd be in Great Depression II.

Aren't we just putting off the inevitable?

I was really angry when obama bailed out the corporations with our money (and then they still foreclosed on millions of americans) because I figured we were just kicking the can down the road.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

spacetoaster posted:

I was really angry when obama bailed out the corporations with our money (and then they still foreclosed on millions of americans) because I figured we were just kicking the can down the road.

Yeah pretty much

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

spacetoaster posted:

My dad's a federal employee and my mom was a state employee until she retired and they both drive old lovely cars my dad kept running long after they should have fallen apart and live in a house they got cheap in a foreclosure and have already paid the mortgage off years ago and my dad gripes over spending $10 for anything you "don't really need"

Shame Boy has issued a correction as of 22:45 on Jan 20, 2019

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

spacetoaster posted:

We all know the real reason this upset you was his skin color. :shrug:

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Shame Boy posted:

My dad's a federal employee and my mom was a state employee until she retired and they both drive old lovely cars my dad kept running long after they should have fallen apart and live in a house they got cheap in a foreclosure and have already paid the mortgage off on years ago and my dad gripes over spending $10 for anything you "don't really need"

The difference between them, and the dudes in my office, is probably impulse control. Or maybe priorities?

Do your parents have hobbies? Because when you talk to the guys I was posting about it's just them telling you about the things they've bought.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

spacetoaster posted:

The difference between them, and the dudes in my office, is probably impulse control. Or maybe priorities?

Do your parents have hobbies? Because when you talk to the guys I was posting about it's just them telling you about the things they've bought.

Yeah my dad meticulously repairs old 60's VW's to better-than-factory condition with either new old stock parts or parts that he makes or modifies himself because he's insane, and my mom makes her own jewelry and fancy cards and stuff. I guess they're busy doing fun things they enjoy instead of buying dumb poo poo?

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

When Australia investigated the big banks last year and asked why one had hired some guy with previous shady financial dealings to do the top job, the answer was that it was pretty much impossible to find someone for a high end financial position who hadn't done anything shady.

Modest Mao
Feb 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

SniperWoreConverse posted:

could be wrong but i'm p sure it's so they can map their space math to earth math. They might use isomorphic anticalculus or some poo poo that's effectively the same thing but a totally incompatible system. With the right charts and poo poo you can make a translation map so that the rest of the message makes sense?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ibByF9XPAPg

lol they put in 3 color images

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Moridin920 posted:

Yeah pretty much

we shouldve never ended the rationing and public works systems from the depression

Shame Boy posted:

Yeah my dad meticulously repairs old 60's VW's to better-than-factory condition with either new old stock parts or parts that he makes or modifies himself because he's insane, and my mom makes her own jewelry and fancy cards and stuff. I guess they're busy doing fun things they enjoy instead of buying dumb poo poo?

i guess kids these days should just pull themselves up by their bootstraps then instead of being the consumers our society conditioned them to be since they were born

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost
Wrong thread

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

got any sevens posted:

i guess kids these days should just pull themselves up by their bootstraps then instead of being the consumers our society conditioned them to be since they were born

What exactly is your point, are you arguing that overconsumption is a good thing? Or do you think that I'm somehow blaming young people for overconsuming? Or did you miss the part where I'm responding to someone who was stereotyping federal workers as people who mindlessly overconsume by providing a counterexample?

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
"federal workers" spans like, your postpeep all the way to bob mueller. it'll span the whole human range from insane fecklessness to inhuman will

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

Shame Boy posted:

your parents sound cool as heck they can live on my post capitalism gay commune if they enjoy the taste of lentils

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Lots of people in the world are bad with money. Bad with money ranges from using your rent savings to go on a bender at the club to buying a tiny house for your tiny horse.

The commonality is that whether or not you are bad with money, the vast majority of people are living paycheck to paycheck, and not getting paid for your labor is very illegal and literally every furloughed worker should have put their hands in their pockets when the checks stopped coming.

That is, of course, an ideal world where every worker has class consciousness and the organization to all agree on a collective action. We don't live in that world.

We live in a world where the POTUS serves hamburders and resort workers are given letters threatening their jobs if they don't risk their lives to come to work.

:killing:

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

T-man posted:

your parents sound cool as heck they can live on my post capitalism gay commune if they enjoy the taste of lentils

This is why people are afraid of communism. loving lentils man.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ScrubLeague
Feb 11, 2007

Nap Ghost
The Fyre Festival documentary on Hulu is extremely good, btw.