Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

The one thing worse than a Patriots Superbowl win would be a Rams win over the Chiefs where the refs hand them the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nah
Mar 16, 2009

Hi everyone. Go Rams. I’m a Rams fan and a Miami Hurricanes fan. This is my payback from that call in the Rose Bowl in ‘03. Took long enough

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
Congrats Rams fans. Have fun. gently caress a Patriot.

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.
I didn't know it would be so stupid.
God drat it, now I have to cheer for the Rams in the Super Bowl.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
Rams are going to get murdered. gently caress this gay earth. gently caress this stupid NFL

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Shindragon posted:

Rams are going to get murdered. gently caress this gay earth. gently caress this stupid NFL

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!
Well, I think we all know who I'm rooting for!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5qJPTjMnwNk

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Coldforge posted:

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Given how good the Rams are this could easily end up as a Broncos vs. Seahawks situation, that is, masturbation fuel for Rams fans until the end of time.

King Hong Kong
Nov 6, 2009

For we'll fight with a vim
that is dead sure to win.

Coldforge posted:

Somehow this is going to end with a Rams dynasty extending into my 50s but same.

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!

Sodomy Hussein posted:

Given how good the Rams are this could easily end up as a Broncos vs. Seahawks situation, that is, masturbation fuel for Rams fans until the end of time.

Hey, buddy! As a Seahawks fan, I think you...

..just made an excellent point.

*fires up SB48 footage*
*turns lights down low*

See you guys at the draft

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Sodomy Hussein posted:

I said the same thing about the Chiefs and Chargers.

Never count out Touchdown Tom.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

shirts and skins posted:

Hey, buddy! As a Seahawks fan, I think you...

..just made an excellent point.

*fires up SB48 footage*
*turns lights down low*

See you guys at the draft

Rewatching 48 is a magical experience.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A2Z7g1q3JwQ

Superbowl 49 gives me a mild case of leprosy, though.

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!

Sodomy Hussein posted:

Rewatching 48 is a magical experience.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A2Z7g1q3JwQ

Superbowl 49 gives me a mild case of leprosy, though.

Sometimes rewatching it feels new, because I was extremely drunk and euphoric while watching it live

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Sodomy Hussein posted:

The Rams defense isn’t good and the Patriots just did a pretty good job on a better offense.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
Everytime someone says the Pats D is sihtty I'm like bull loving poo poo.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Congrats to the Los Angeles Uncalled Defensive Pass Interferences.

Man people are really fixated on that call, but there were plenty that went the other way too. Late in the 4th quarter there was a missed facemask penalty that would've given the Rams a first down at the goal line but instead they had to kick a field goal. It goes both ways

Shindragon posted:

Everytime someone says the Pats D is sihtty I'm like bull loving poo poo.

Yeah it's really not. McCourty might be the best corner in the league right now; he's up there that's for sure. And their D line is big, strong, disciplined in their scheme and very good at using stunts to create pressure. Even if they struggled a bit early in the season they are a good defense, especially now in the postseason.

The Rams are also playing much better defense right now than they have all year. So that's one promising thing. An even bigger negative though is that Todd Gurley clearly ain't right.

In my opinion the Rams really don't have a great chance to win. I'll still be cheering them on with all my heart but when that overtime coin flip came up Patriots I realized that they are going to win the super bowl

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Play posted:

Man people are really fixated on that call, but there were plenty that went the other way too. Late in the 4th quarter there was a missed facemask penalty that would've given the Rams a first down at the goal line but instead they had to kick a field goal. It goes both ways

Face masks get missed all the time, like many things. You have to accept if you watch football that not everything gets called. Things happen quickly, there’s a lot going one and bodies obstruct the refs view. But that was extremely, blatantly PI and a helmet to helmet, it happened on an island where there’s no excuse for not seeing it, and calling that correctly basically determines the outcome of the game. It was an absolute gimme, if you don’t call that what the hell do you call?

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
Mccourty is not the best cb in the league lmao

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Congrats to the Los Angeles Uncalled Defensive Pass Interferences.

Seriously

That poo poo was as bad or worse than 2012 seahawk era bump and runs

Play
Apr 25, 2006

YOLOsubmarine posted:

Face masks get missed all the time, like many things. You have to accept if you watch football that not everything gets called. Things happen quickly, there’s a lot going one and bodies obstruct the refs view. But that was extremely, blatantly PI and a helmet to helmet, it happened on an island where there’s no excuse for not seeing it, and calling that correctly basically determines the outcome of the game. It was an absolute gimme, if you don’t call that what the hell do you call?

Yeah one was a lot more obvious, true. But my point is that they both changed the game equally because with a touchdown there overtime wouldn't have even happened. It was a very bad Sunday for refereeing. Bunch of awful calls in the Chiefs/Pats game too.

The best part of the reffing this postseason has been the refs letting them play and cutting back on the flags, which has made the games flow much better. Obviously they took that doctrine way too far with that no-call. In fact it's kind of a strange policy to essentially have two sets of rules, one for the regular season and one for the postseason. On the other hand I hate flags

Tweak
Jul 28, 2003

or dont whatever

"let them play" is usually reserved for ticky tack calls not full on obvious game breaking ones

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

Tweak posted:

"let them play" is usually reserved for ticky tack calls not full on obvious game breaking ones

Those went in every direction tonight

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Tweak posted:

Yes, clearly. The whole concept is strange though, like everyone just basically accepts that there are two different sets of rules and standards, one for normal games and the other for postseason games. It's the same sport and maybe they should call it the same all the time in order to avoid confusion and awful calls like this one.

Sent from my iPad
Jun 19, 2000

Play posted:

It wasn’t a facemask.

https://twitter.com/footballzebras/status/1087119241206263810

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!
Watching that Super Bowl video makes me pine for Bevell

loving we wasted years of a potential dynasty with Cable

Play
Apr 25, 2006

There was actually a pull and the hand did close on the bars of the mask. Goff's head turned most of the way to the side, so I'm not sure if this tweet is actually correct. I will say that it happened very fast in real time I'm not that surprised it wasn't called, especially in the playoffs. In the regular season it probably would've

Manoueverable
Oct 23, 2010

Dubs Loves Wubs
Y'all, I sure as poo poo don't like the Rams, but I have never and will never root for Tom Brady under any circumstances. I am sorry if this offends anyone but I have principles God dammit

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

Play posted:

There was actually a pull and the hand did close on the bars of the mask. Goff's head turned most of the way to the side, so I'm not sure if this tweet is actually correct. I will say that it happened very fast in real time I'm not that surprised it wasn't called, especially in the playoffs. In the regular season it probably would've

You’re gonna tell me that this is blatant and gets called every time in the regular season?

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=7hZAMCTKqJM

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Play posted:

Yes, clearly. The whole concept is strange though, like everyone just basically accepts that there are two different sets of rules and standards, one for normal games and the other for postseason games. It's the same sport and maybe they should call it the same all the time in order to avoid confusion and awful calls like this one.

Welcome to every sport.

If this bothers you please never, ever watch hockey.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Good evening thread, lifelong fan of the NFC West checking in here. This division has a long and proud history in recent years -- in fact, they are the only division to have three-of-four teams represented in the Super Bowl this decade (if you stretch it out to this century, they and the NFC South are the only divisions to have all four teams make it to The Big Game).

Anyway, I'm really proud of my fierce but respected rival the Los Angeles Rams, and look forward to them taking home the trophy and making the Division of Champions proud once again. Thank you and God bless.

gently caress the Pats so loving hard

Play
Apr 25, 2006

iwentdoodie posted:

Welcome to every sport.

If this bothers you please never, ever watch hockey.

I don't even understand what penalties are for in hockey so I'm good there.

But here's a thought: if calling games the postseason way is better, maybe do that the whole year? Alternately if the other way is better do it that way. It makes no sense to expect players to internalize two different standards for fouls.

YOLOsubmarine posted:

You’re gonna tell me that this is blatant and gets called every time in the regular season?

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=7hZAMCTKqJM

That's not what I said at all. I said it probably would've been called in the regular season and I said that even though it was quick the hands do close around the facemask. But I also stated that at full speed it doesn't look like much, and also there's a bunch of guys around who were probably blocking the view.

The line judge who was responsible for the missed DPI should probably be fired, in my opinion. Whoever's job it was to watch that receiver and flag any penalties

I'm watching the game right now and it looks like the Saints just got a makeup DPI call during overtime to wash away the stink of the refs' earlier failure. Too little too late

Benne posted:

Good evening thread, lifelong fan of the NFC West checking in here. This division has a long and proud history in recent years -- in fact, they are the only division to have three-of-four teams represented in the Super Bowl this decade (if you stretch it out to this century, they and the NFC South are the only divisions to have all four teams make it to The Big Game).

Anyway, I'm really proud of my fierce but respected rival the Los Angeles Rams, and look forward to them taking home the trophy and making the Division of Champions proud once again. Thank you and God bless.

Glad most of you seem to fit into this category. Divisional rivalry is cool and good but actually feeling so much hate for a team that you would root for the Patriots... that's twisted and unhealthy

Play fucked around with this message at 07:05 on Jan 21, 2019

Sent from my iPad
Jun 19, 2000

Play posted:

I'm watching the game right now and it looks like the Saints just got a makeup DPI call during overtime to wash away the stink of the refs' earlier failure. Too little too late
It isn’t a makeup call if it’s a foul. Arnold was clearly held on the play.

It just looked minor compared to the uncalled DPI + defenseless receiver helmet to helmet which prevented the Saints from winning.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

I honestly don't hate the Rams, at all. The Ram goons are downright gentlemen. And it's hard to have an opinion about the Cardinals. The 49ers can get straight hosed though.

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

the rams are like a year removed from gregg williams and jeff fisher aiming for the Kill Shot and they still have the scummiest owner in the league. go pats

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Sent from my iPad posted:

It isn’t a makeup call if it’s a foul. Arnold was clearly held on the play.

It just looked minor compared to the uncalled DPI + defenseless receiver helmet to helmet which prevented the Saints from winning.

I don't think he was held, he just stumbled when he pressed in on Barron. Barron had his hands on him which created the illusion that he dragged Arnold down but he wasn't grabbing at all. In fact, I think Arnold actually tripped on the defenders heels as he was pressing in and preparing to make his break. The flag came in very late and this was probably not more than 5 plays after the missed DPI.

I don't think the refs are like "I'm gonna throw a flag on this play because I missed the last flag" but I do think that they are inclined to get strict when they miss a call and throw a flag they normally wouldn't. It definitely happens, we've all seen it but if that's the case here who knows. The play stood out to me as being something that normally wouldn't be called in the playoffs but maybe not.

The main DPI I've watched like ten times and tried to come up with theories about why they might think that was a legal play. Absolutely nothing comes to mind. It wasn't within two yards, the defender wasn't going for the ball (in fact he was completely ignoring the ball in favor of making a hit) and it wasn't incidental. They could've also probably called it a hit to a defenseless receiver even if they didn't call DPI. Everything about it was so blatant

Sodomy Hussein posted:

I honestly don't hate the Rams, at all. The Ram goons are downright gentlemen. And it's hard to have an opinion about the Cardinals. The 49ers can get straight hosed though.

Just out of curiosity why do you feel differently about the 49ers?

By the way I like your av. Have you seen The Other Side of The Wind on Netflix? It's excellent and if you're actually a Welles fan you'd probably like it

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Play posted:

By the way I like your av. Have you seen The Other Side of The Wind on Netflix? It's excellent and if you're actually a Welles fan you'd probably like it

Coldforge is mean :colbert:

Also no, I have not seen it yet. Good idea for the federal holiday tomorrow.

Kazak_Hstan
Apr 28, 2014

Grimey Drawer
I was ready to get happy about a rams-chiefs superbowl but since that didn’t happen: gently caress the rams!

One in the Bum
Apr 25, 2014

Hair Elf

As a hawks fan, I'm excited any time we make the playoffs. But I've long felt that division winners should not automatically get a playoff berth simply because the other 3 teams are even shittier. And I also think there should be allowances for wild card teams to be seeded above division winners when the wild card has a better record.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.
I didn't know it would be so stupid.

Sodomy Hussein posted:

Coldforge is mean :colbert:

It's true! Fun fact: the Seahawks retired their #12 jersey, an honor reserved for people who have died or left the game. Even they hate their fans and wish they were gone!

:glomp: