Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

Hi. I forgot your name. Whatever.
My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.
Minish Cap

Blue sky at night/Angel delight
Blue sky in the ground/Don't fall down

E: Phantom Hourglass part 2 was also at the end of the last page:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!

MeccaPrime posted:

They really do pack a ton of content into a seemingly small, handheld game and that's why I love it so much (despite its flaws).

5 levels and a final dungeon is not enough for a Zelda game, and is my only real issue with Majora’s Mask. I love the dungeon crawling aspects of these games

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.

Let the wind carry you, and your children fight for you.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
Wow, that dungeon is a linear-rear end snoozefest.

Bellmaker
Oct 18, 2008

Chapter DOOF

If you have to make the sidekick comment on how long your level is cut some of it out dammit

Microcline
Jul 27, 2012

CPColin posted:

Wow, that dungeon is a linear-rear end snoozefest.

I don't think it's a bad idea to break the pattern one or two mostly linear "gauntlet" dungeons, especially if they lean into the theme by being a constant ascent or descent. The problem is that this dungeon type relies entirely on combat encounters and single-room puzzles which are Minish Cap's greatest weakness.

Like the Ice Palace in Link to the Past is incredibly memorable but that's because it backs up the theme of a greuling descent into an icy hell by making you fight fast-moving enemies that deal four hearts of damage while dodging projectiles and environmental hazards on slippery ice floors.

MeccaPrime
May 11, 2010

Microcline posted:

Like the Ice Palace in Link to the Past is incredibly memorable but that's because it backs up the theme of a greuling descent into an icy hell by making you fight fast-moving enemies that deal four hearts of damage while dodging projectiles and environmental hazards on slippery ice floors.

the stairs down were the hardest enemies in that dungeon

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

MeccaPrime posted:

the stairs down were the hardest enemies in that dungeon

good lord that gif makes me angry t:mad:

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
Ironically, the ice medallion that freezes all enemies on screen was your best weapon in the Ice Palace. Freeze all killer penguins, crash them with the hammer to refill your magic, repeat.

Explopyro
Mar 18, 2018

I'm never quite sure what to make of the Palace of Winds. There are a lot of good points to it in a vacuum (I think I'd even say I like most of the individual rooms and puzzles), and it has excellent music, but the overall experience gets tedious and somewhat repetitive. The boss is pretty good too, one thing I definitely appreciate in this game is the way they incorporated the splitting mechanics into the boss fights.

It could also just be that it doesn't quite live up to the Cloud Tops area in my opinion, though looking back I'm not quite sure why I like that area so much either. The actual gameplay there is just as tedious and repetitive; I think I just like the music and atmosphere of it enough that that doesn't bother me, and I liked the hunt for kinstones and pedestals.

Still, I think most of my attitude toward this dungeon is the product of repeat playthroughs. The first time through, I loved it.

Torrannor posted:

Ironically, the ice medallion that freezes all enemies on screen was your best weapon in the Ice Palace. Freeze all killer penguins, crash them with the hammer to refill your magic, repeat.

I always just used Bombos, personally.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

The main design principle of this dungeon seems to be that you go through the entire thing twice.

You start at the bottom level, then use walkways and such to climb the thing on the outside. Then on the top level, you get the big key, use that to fall ALL the way down to the bottom, fight the Iron Knuckle, and then the second half starts, where you're going through the actual inside rooms of the dungeon, picking up the map and the compass, and climbing all the way to the top AGAIN where you can reach the boss.

It's not that the building itself is huge, is that the game makes you go through it twice.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?

Microcline posted:

Those big penguin dudes were chumps, just cast Bombos.

That said, tbf I do remember exactly which enemies you mean so hm.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.
Hookshot, my dudes. It instantly kills the Ice Palace penguins.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
You gotta love the first generation Hookshot. So simple, yet so magical

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

You gotta love the first generation Hookshot. So simple, yet so magical

It's still no magnet gloves

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
Just like how this gold bar is no cow turd

SorataYuy
Jul 17, 2014

That... didn't even make sense.
I don't think the Palace of Winds is an actual dungeon. I think it's a Wizard College, and that's why you have to face so many Whizrobes at once in that room early one. You just slaughtered an entire class, Thorn. :ohdear:

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

SorataYuy posted:

I don't think the Palace of Winds is an actual dungeon. I think it's a Wizard College, and that's why you have to face so many Whizrobes at once in that room early one. You just slaughtered an entire class, Thorn. :ohdear:

Good, gently caress Hogwarts

SorataYuy
Jul 17, 2014

That... didn't even make sense.

ikanreed posted:

Good, gently caress Hogwarts

I was thinking more along the lines of Unseen University, really.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
I like this dungeon. The occasional dungeon that's pretty much just a gauntlet with minimal (usually incredibly simple) puzzles mixes things up nicely. I mean, just imagine if you had to Mole Mitt your way up this tower twice instead of just stabbing everything.

LashLightning
Feb 20, 2010

You know you didn't have to go post that, right?
But it's fine, I guess...

You just keep being you!

SorataYuy posted:

I was thinking more along the lines of Unseen University, really.

The students would be too hungover to attack you, and you're more likely to be hit by a crossbow-bolt rather than a fireball should any of the staff take a disliking to you.

Bellmaker
Oct 18, 2008

Chapter DOOF

I don't hate this last dungeon, but all the stuff before it wore out anything other my desire to finish the game as fast as possible.

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.
Phantom Hourglass

It is at least a Zelda game.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

I kinda cheated at the mic use in this and Spirit Tracks. I tended to play in bed and I use use a CPAP machine so I'd just hold it over the exhaust vent. No need to worry about running out of breath (more an issue in Spirit Tracks which has some hold puzzles) or anything.

liquidypoo
Aug 23, 2006

Chew on that... you overgrown son of a bitch.

Would the murder of a wizard be magicide?

Explopyro
Mar 18, 2018

I made the same mistake as Thorn the first time I did this boss fight, I never noticed to count the horns until afterward. It's not really a difficult fight even then, just tedious and frustrating because it feels like a crapshoot whether it'll work or not each time.

I was pretty embarrassed when I figured it out. Overall I actually think it's a pretty decent boss design, though it's very unthreatening and I guess the fact you can win by trial and error could be considered a negative (in that the game doesn't really care if you solve the puzzle or not, and it's possible for the player to completely miss that there is even a puzzle at all).

SatansOnion
Dec 12, 2011

liquidypoo posted:

Would the murder of a wizard be magicide?

depends. If you're a wizard yourself, it's career advancement :v:

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.
Minish Cap

I was a little too pleased with myself for that title pun that I had to use it again.

Explopyro
Mar 18, 2018

For some reason I'd thought there were more figurines to go than that; still, I'm sure you're glad it's over.

I actually quite like the Great Spin Attack in this game - I don't know if you noticed, but it isn't just a straight line the way the demo makes it look, you can steer wherever you want. That makes it a lot of fun against enemies you need to hit from behind, like Darknuts or those boomerang bugs. And I seem to remember making use of it in one phase of the final boss. I think it's a solid upgrade and feels like a good final sword skill, especially compared to how disappointing some of the others are.

Pacing-wise, it's a bit weird they basically make you do half of the final dungeon before you can leave and get the collectibles that were gated behind the 4th clone. I'm never a huge fan of games doing this, because it interrupts the plot arc in a way that doesn't make sense narratively, but enough games do it that I can't blame this one in particular.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

I like how the Sword Beam and Peril Beam skills reference the original Legend of Zelda, but the Four Sword's beam attack is from Link to the Past.

Come to think of it, this implies that the Link from Zelda 1 learned the Sword Beam skill somewhere. Does he have a Tiger Scroll we don't know about?

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Commander Keene posted:

I like how the Sword Beam and Peril Beam skills reference the original Legend of Zelda, but the Four Sword's beam attack is from Link to the Past.

Come to think of it, this implies that the Link from Zelda 1 learned the Sword Beam skill somewhere. Does he have a Tiger Scroll we don't know about?

Why would you even assume that different Zelda games have anything resembling a similar way to gain skills, or even a similar set of skills for Link to be born with?

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.

Guess who still can't remember he has the Gust Jar

Explopyro
Mar 18, 2018

I see you ran into the same issue as I discussed earlier with the bob-omb room. I quite like that room now, though a lot of that may just be nostalgia for having been stumped by it.

The Great Spin makes a lot of this dungeon so much easier, the Darknut fights in particular. I actually enjoy them just as an excuse to use it, honestly, though of course the bomb method is fun too sometimes. I was going to say this game has my favourite spin attack in Zelda, but in truth I have to give it a second to the 2H weapon charge in BotW.

It's also lots of fun to use the Great Spin in that room with all the Keatons and four switches, you can split first and then send four copies careening down the room all at once.

There is apparently an actual timer during the bell segment (or maybe just the Darknut fight, the rest does seem to be scripted), and you can get a non-standard game over if you take too long and the third bell rings. I've never personally tested it, but I did manage to find a video.

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.
crthemighty nicely captures gunkle's deadpan face during Ezlo's advice.

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.
Phantom Hourglass

Unfortunately we didn't get to record as many parts for this as I'd hoped before I finally started the LP like I promised, so PH will be on a minor hiatus until we can build up more of a backlog.

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

If I recall correctly, that "unnecessary exit" does in fact serve a purpose later.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
Remember PizzaJoe, whatever happens, no matter what anyone tells you, never stab the Hourglass with a knife.

Not ever.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

I love how you get the hourglass and the temple makes a biiiiiig deal about how "If you stand anywhere besides the safe space the temple will suck the life out of you/suck the time out of your hourglass"

then you get to the second floor and the fairies immediately start having a long tutorial conversation about the big scary phantoms while Pizza Joe is clearly standing NOT in a safe zone.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Zanzibar Ham posted:

Remember PizzaJoe, whatever happens, no matter what anyone tells you, never stab the Hourglass with a knife.

Not ever.

He's PizzaJoe, not the artist formerly known as Prince, man.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

Watch out, this thread will drain the life out of you.