Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Welp
gently caress the Pats
gently caress the Rams?
gently caress the Refs
gently caress
View Results

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

I think we can all agree that the Saints and Chiefs deserved to lose and that the Patriots deserve to lose to the Rams.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bellmaker
Oct 18, 2008

Chapter DOOF

shirts and skins posted:

The Pats may indeed win the Super Bowl, but I don't agree with people here who think they'll romp over the Rams. The Rams have the current best player in football, and if there's one thing that has given Brady trouble in the past it's interior pressure.

Sean McVay will absolutely scheme players open on offense too. I honestly think the Saints were the best team in the league this year and they should have won, but that being said the Pats D is not on the same level as the Saints and the Rams should score plenty in that indoor stadium.

I know you mean Aaron Donald but I think it's Gurley that makes the Rams go. If Gurley is still hurt or whatever the hell happened yesterday not sure that's gonna matter. I don't think Belichick is nearly as afraid of Louie Anderson. That offense has been slowing down the last 6/7 weeks with Gurley hurt.

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Ask me about how my football team's success determines my self worth, and how I wish I lived in New Orleans.

ELO Musk posted:

I think we can all agree that the Saints and Chiefs deserved to lose and that the Patriots deserve to lose to the Rams.

Saints yes

Chiefs no

Patriots yes

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib

Bellmaker posted:

I know you mean Aaron Donald but I think it's Gurley that makes the Rams go. If Gurley is still hurt or whatever the hell happened yesterday not sure that's gonna matter. I don't think Belichick is nearly as afraid of Louie Anderson. That offense has been slowing down the last 6/7 weeks with Gurley hurt.
Nah it looked good against the Cowboys (who had a good defense) and the last two weeks of the regular season (those were against two dumpster fire teams), and they also outgained the Saints by quite a bit yesterday

The Gurley situation is puzzling though

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF
The OT rules are garbage and the second the Patriots won the toss the game was over

Also refs trash all game

Go Rams gently caress da Patriots and especially Tom Brady who definitely makes out with children

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!
https://twitter.com/MySportsUpdate/status/1087365300868272128?s=19

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!

There is one good game in there.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

Bellmaker posted:

That same Anderson is the one that gashed the Pats when Osweiller was helming the Broncos.

I'm curious why Gurley sat out for most of that game. Injury?

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

ELO Musk posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i1Pxndp5r_E&t=47s

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.
Man, the NFL jobbed out London this year on those games huh

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

CyberPingu posted:

As is generally the case

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

Intruder posted:

As is generally the case

On paper, the Eagles Jags game should have been amazing, it just so happened that both teams turned into a pumpkin

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib

Ughh Mexico City AGAIN for the Chiefs? AND against a divisional team? That sucks. I hope it's a Chargers home game

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

Let's see if there's actually a field in Mexico this time otherwise it's another LA home game

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

SalTheBard posted:

Ughh Mexico City AGAIN for the Chiefs? AND against a divisional team? That sucks. I hope it's a Chargers home game

It is.

Well, it's a game that would have been played in LA otherwise at least.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

CyberPingu posted:

They always do because every good team will always lobby hard against the league about having to sacrifice one of their home games to play in London. So there’s always a good team that’s playing an away game and a poo poo team that’s at “home.”

cpranger
Nov 6, 2009

I want you to take out Big Bird's knees.
https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/01/20/nfl-decides-against-issuing-statement-admitting-error-in-rams-saints-for-now/

I agree with this move because there is nothing to gain by publicly admitting you made a mistake. PFT is wrong though because there isn't anything to lose by ignoring it. No one is going to stop watching over a missed call.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
Gurley wasn't injured he was just playing like poo poo. He dropped a pass leading to an interception, he dropped 2 other easy catches and wasn't running like CJ Anderson was so McVay rode the hot hand.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

Man, thats actually surprising that they are having a divisional game in london. I expected all those to be states only.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

shirts and skins posted:

the Pats D is not on the same level as the Saints

You're right, the Saints defense gave up more points than the Patriots in 2018 (#14 in points allowed vs. #7.)

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it

So the possibility of Chargers @Raiders in San Diego still exists???

:getin:

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Flikken posted:

Why do you hate me

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

Flikken posted:

Hahahaha oh god I can’t believe the league is in a position where that’s actually a possibility.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Better Living Through Birding And Pessimism

a neat cape posted:

Why do you hate me

This would be such an amazing anomaly though you gotta admit. Like imagine if the Ravens moved to Toronto and then the Redskins moved to Baltimore. Then the Baltimore Wechangedthenames faced the Toronto Ravens in Baltimore like the next year. That'd be nuts.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

Kawalimus posted:

This would be such an amazing anomaly though you gotta admit. Like imagine if the Ravens moved to Toronto and then the Redskins moved to Baltimore. Then the Baltimore Wechangedthenames faced the Toronto Ravens in Baltimore like the next year. That'd be nuts.

Would you start supporting the Redskins then?

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it

a neat cape posted:

Why do you hate me

Because you root for the Patriots.

Grand Theft Autobot
Feb 28, 2008

I'm something of a fucking idiot myself
Wade Phillips and Aqib Talib will save us again.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Kawalimus posted:

No, it would be like if the Steelers moved to Philadelphia and the Browns played a year in Pittsburgh for whatever reason

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Eifert Posting posted:

I don't feel real bad for the Saints fans in stadium seeing as they were blasting whistles all game. :colbert:

That wasn’t people blowing whistles, that was one dude and his natural whistle.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
The bottom line is that there were 3 50-50 reviewable calls and as usual, the MAGA Patriots got all 3 as well as the joke roughing the passer as has been the case since 2001.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

CyberPingu posted:

Would you start supporting the Redskins then?

If they changed the name probably. I'd likely end up supporting both.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

Kawalimus posted:

If they changed the name probably. I'd likely end up supporting both.

I....i thought you hated the Redskins?

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

CyberPingu posted:

I....i thought you hated the Redskins?

If they moved to Baltimore and changed the name? It'd be a-ok.

If they change the name now I'll not root for them but I'll stop hating them. That's my offer to them. I'll put it all in the past and not worry about them anymore.

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

never, like, count out Touchdown Tom, man

mcmagic posted:

The bottom line is that there were 3 50-50 reviewable calls and as usual, the MAGA Patriots got all 3 as well as the joke roughing the passer as has been the case since 2001.

Children complain about games not being fair

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

Kawalimus posted:

If they moved to Baltimore and changed the name? It'd be a-ok.

If they change the name now I'll not root for them but I'll stop hating them. That's my offer to them. I'll put it all in the past and not worry about them anymore.

So. If they kept the same owner, same team, same everything except just moved to Baltimore and changed their name. Your infamous hatred for the Skins suddenly just goes away. This entire hatred just comes from their name???????

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

mcmagic posted:

none of those reviewed calls were 50-50. that call was bullshit though.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Phobeste posted:

Children complain about games not being fair

The game is rigged. It just happens to be in your favor so you're cool with it.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!

mcmagic posted:

Bill Barnwell posted:

It was a terrible call. I'd also point out that it's the fourth time Brady has benefited from a roughing the passer call in 1,002 postseason dropbacks since returning from his torn ACL in 2009, which is one penalty for every 250.5 dropbacks. Teams like the Cardinals and Vikings have benefited from roughing the passer penalties more frequently over that same time frame, and the mark is right in line with the Pats' regular-season average since 2009 (224.5 dropbacks per roughing the passer call). It was a bad call, but it's also not representative of special treatment for Brady in the postseason, as much as that one play might suggest otherwise.

Bill Barnwell posted:

Using data from ESPN Stats & Information, I went back through 2009 (when Brady returned and the new rule was enforced) and analyzed how frequently each team benefited from a roughing the passer call. New England's opponents were penalized 28 times, which is the 18th-highest total in football. The Cleveland Browns have picked up more roughing the passer calls on their quarterbacks than the Patriots.

If you adjust the numbers for the fact that the Patriots have thrown the ball quite a bit over the past decade, the case gets weaker. The Pats generate a roughing the passer call once every 224.5 dropbacks on offense, which is 20th in the NFL. If we look only at snaps in which Brady is under pressure from the defense, that number improves to once every 48.8 dropbacks, but that's still only good for 12th. There's no evidence Brady gets roughing the passer calls at a disproportionate rate.

The team benefiting from the most roughing the passer flags against their opponents, coincidentally, is a team whose fan base might be the most vocal in complaining about a different set of rules for Brady. The Buffalo Bills and their various quarterbacks from 2009 to 2018 lead the league in roughing the passer calls drawn (43, tied with the Chicago Bears), roughing the passer rate (once every 135.5 dropbacks) and roughing the passer rate while under pressure (once every 35.3 dropbacks).

Whatever helps you sleep at night.

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

never, like, count out Touchdown Tom, man

mcmagic posted:

The game is rigged. It just happens to be in your favor so you're cool with it.

And yet teams overcome that "rigged game" pretty frequently, considering the patriots have only 5 of the last say 20 super bowls

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cpranger
Nov 6, 2009

I want you to take out Big Bird's knees.
Ain't here to complain. But I am worried about those guys eyes.

https://twitter.com/ocsaint1/status/1087387121222991872?s=20