Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

Ogmius815 posted:

Yeah the middle class is doing so well right now that’s it’s on the cusp of destroying the economy!

Cutting taxes would do jack poo poo in saving the middle class.

E: Bat Tax

Pigbuster fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Jan 21, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

Which kids from the video do you think they are?

Those are grown men.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Ogmius815 posted:

[Sees extremely progressive policy agenda]

[concludes that said progressivism is just an empty paean meant to cover for “corporatist” agenda]

[Is a goddamn moron]

What if instead of 3 Trillion dollars in bullshit tax cuts the government just paid off every dime of student loans.

LazyArtistry
Oct 11, 2002

Creating disasters and running away from them since 1981.

Ogmius815 posted:

[concludes that said progressivism is just an empty paean meant to cover for “corporatist” agenda]

[Is a goddamn moron]

We don't need more tax cuts, we need to tax the poo poo out of people earning huge amounts of money and hoarding insane wealth and then spend that taxed income on massive progressive projects and systems to help the middle and lower class. A tax cut doesn't mean squat when most middle class people don't earn enough anyway to take advantage of it.

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005
centrism is a hell of a drug

I can’t wait until Kamala wins the nomination with strong support from numerous traditional Democratic constituencies, you fuckers attack her mercilessly while supporting an rear end in a top hat leftistbro candidate with no chance of winning who refuses to drop out well into June, then you fuckers don’t vote and Trump wins. Then you all go “lol the Democrats are so bad they can’t even beat Trump”.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Taerkar posted:

It started out that way.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-MNZ5cJnQuk

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

Ogmius815 posted:

I can’t wait until Kamala wins the nomination with strong support from numerous traditional Democratic constituencies, you fuckers attack her mercilessly while supporting an rear end in a top hat leftistbro candidate with no chance of winning who refuses to drop out well into June, then you fuckers don’t vote and Trump wins. Then you all go “lol the Democrats are so bad they can’t even beat Trump”.

This is the plot of Mortal Engines.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Ogmius815 posted:

Can you guys make an argument without busting out "bro" like it's some kind of slam dunk?

twice burned ice
Dec 29, 2008

My stove defies the laws of physics!

Ogmius815 posted:

Nice meltdown, dude.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Ogmius815 posted:

It sounds like the problem there would be one of the democrats being terrible, yes. The point of an election is to convince people to vote for you. After 2016, the party will probably be a little more hands-off in determining who makes it out of the primary.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Ogmius815 posted:

good to see the hillary people are already fully mobilized in opposing any plausible leftist

Ornedan
Nov 4, 2009

Cybernetic Crumb

SocketWrench posted:

It's like the immigration issue. Yeah, Obama had kids locked up in cages, and that's bad. But it's a stopgap response to a particular issue. Whereas we have Trump separating families and assaulting people at the border because he's a dumb racist fucker. This is clearly worse and is gonna focus more hate against it.

Obama had the exact same reason for his cruel border and deportation policies as Trump claims to: discourage further people from coming. The difference is that Trump's a sadist who celebrates the cruelty while Obama was just a sociopath that saw it as an acceptable tool.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

https://twitter.com/tomscocca/status/1087380296620756992

https://twitter.com/willmenaker/status/1087383888786268160

Ogmius815 posted:

bernie would've won.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Ogmius815 posted:

Not that I agree with the read on any of this but lol about blaming voters for this scenario where Democrats do the same thing they lost with last time.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Ogmius815 posted:

She ain't gonna win, OP. The 'traditional Democratic constituencies' are far more likely to throw support behind Biden.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

It's cool we're at the point where we are already blaming leftists for a loss of a candidate that hasn't even made it through the primaries yet. If the Bros are so powerful they can sink politicians by staying home maybe candidates need to cater to them somewhat since that's the point of running a campaign.

C411
Jun 22, 2004
STUPID
DICK
https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1087374469222547461

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

I can't believe Kamala Harris is calling for more white mothers and babies to die during childbirth!

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

I dunno, the Democrats seem to be passing lots of legislation out of the one part they control

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

It's not that tax cuts or tax credits wouldn't help people -- even a tax credit directed to low-income renters will be helpful -- it's that there is notably better progressive policy that would be more effective at the same cost. A "middle class tax cut" is going to hit everyone making under $200,000 and is almost certain to disproportionately benefit people making more money, because that's how every last one of these things plays out. A low-income tax credit will be money in the pocket, but people are not likely to adjust their withholding so it just ends up being a bigger refund in April to people who are struggling to pay rent and feed their families.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

The WP hand sign has been a thing since the 80s. The visible hand is doing the W.

... No, it isn't. CHUDs made it up really recently

Edit: ohhhhh we're talking about different hand signs. My apologies

theflyingorc fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Jan 21, 2019

Zoph
Sep 12, 2005

Vote for the best person in the primaries and then vote for whoever is the general election candidate as if your life depends on it. It should be this simple.

Honestly, liberals and the left need to make "the GOP must not ever get power no matter what" a locked-in, undebatable tenet of their platform with the same control over politics as being pro-life has for the right.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything
https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1087374046805835776

or the place of our birth

How can you be created equally by God if racehorse theory is true?

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Driving into work there is a video billboard at a busy corner gas station. I just saw a Coldwell Banker Realtor ad for a local Realtor with his picture and blown up Q hand sign image. Like just a picture of a hand making that Q sign.

What the gently caress.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

mango sentinel posted:

I dunno, the Democrats seem to be passing lots of legislation out of the one part they control

they're even getting more Senate cooperation especially from Senators who aren't shelled reptiles than I expected so far!

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

Dad Jokes posted:

Love how regressives are doubling down on the racist teens on MLK day. Extremely cool and good country.

This was more or less inevitable. If you want to build a movement then you have to make sure the future members are protected and encouraged. Since the MAGA movement is based on racist resentment of non-whites (white supremacy), then they need to circle the wagons. Otherwise, children might be discouraged from becoming fully racist voters. They also have to defend the ability for members of their movement to wear their uniform. Wearing the MAGA hat is a demonstration of solidarity between racists, and is necessary to grow or at least maintain their base. Since in this case it's easy to inject enough doubt it's clear that they need to circle the wagons.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen
He was gone for like 10 minutes lol

https://twitter.com/jeffmason1/status/1087385118740791296

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Ogmius815 posted:

[Is a goddamn moron]

"extremely progressive", what? That's an astonishingly weak core platform considering the political context and where the Democratic base is at right now. The only good thing about it is that it addresses the problem of black women dying way more often in childbirth than everyone else. Every candidate except Biden and Klobuchar is going to be pushing M4A -- she doesn't really get comparative credit for including it, in the sense of "Would I rather vote for her over another candidate?". It totally lacks anything about the climate emergency.

She needs to update that pronto or she's going to lose young people entirely.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Zophar posted:

Honestly, liberals and the left need to make "the GOP must not ever get power no matter what" a locked-in, undebatable tenet of their platform with the same control over politics as being pro-life has for the right.

Which is how you end up with corporate sponsored Democrats indistinguishable from moderate Republicans demanding votes and loyalty from people they won't serve the interests of instead of earning them.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
Heh

https://twitter.com/GeoffRBennett/status/1087385149774458880

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

theflyingorc posted:

... No, it isn't. CHUDs made it up really recently

There are more hand signs than the co-oped 'OK' one.

Zophar posted:

Vote for the best person in the primaries and then vote for whoever is the general election candidate as if your life depends on it. It should be this simple.

And VOTE FOR LOWER OFFICES TOO. Even if you don't like the Democratic candidate for president show up and vote. There's more at stake than just the White House.

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

They left and came back so fast that the WH pool didn’t even have time to set up.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Eeyo posted:

This was more or less inevitable. If you want to build a movement then you have to make sure the future members are protected and encouraged. Since the MAGA movement is based on racist resentment of non-whites (white supremacy), then they need to circle the wagons. Otherwise, children might be discouraged from becoming fully racist voters. They also have to defend the ability for members of their movement to wear their uniform. Wearing the MAGA hat is a demonstration of solidarity between racists, and is necessary to grow or at least maintain their base. Since in this case it's easy to inject enough doubt it's clear that they need to circle the wagons.

Or, more succinctly:

Fluffdaddy posted:

Reinforcing white supremacy is a survival instinct for white folks

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.

Ague Proof posted:

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1087374046805835776

or the place of our birth

How can you be created equally by God if racehorse theory is true?

How in the gently caress can he have the gall to post that and at the same time attack immigrants.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Dad Jokes posted:

Love how regressives are doubling down on the racist teens on MLK day. Extremely cool and good country.

The idea that rich stupid white children would face actual consequences terrifies them; it is amazing

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Racial disparity in childbirth deaths is a noble problem to address but I'm not really sure what can happen at the federal level.

Urban hospitals tend to be better than suburban ones when it comes to Trauma (if you're shot or have a stroke in Atlanta, go to Grady) and everything I've read about this phenomenon places the onus at the feet of the individual practitioners.

fishing with the fam
Feb 29, 2008

Durr

I hope he goes full Howard Hughes by 2020 and just becomes a white house hermit.

The Super-Id
Nov 9, 2005

"You know it's what you really want."

Grimey Drawer
gently caress Kamala Harris. Also if you don’t think pretty much everyone here would vote for her in a heartbeat if she were up against Trump in the general you are pretty dumb.

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

BRAKE FOR MOOSE posted:

It's not that tax cuts or tax credits wouldn't help people -- even a tax credit directed to low-income renters will be helpful -- it's that there is notably better progressive policy that would be more effective at the same cost. A "middle class tax cut" is going to hit everyone making under $200,000 and is almost certain to disproportionately benefit people making more money, because that's how every last one of these things plays out. A low-income tax credit will be money in the pocket, but people are not likely to adjust their withholding so it just ends up being a bigger refund in April to people who are struggling to pay rent and feed their families.

I'm not gonna edit this, but I actually read the proposal now and it is at least somewhat more moderated than this (drops off at $100,000) but it also has all kinds of fun poo poo like being based on earned income, so it excludes the poorest who need it the most, and anyone in situations where your income doesn't qualify (like I'd get nothing because my income comes from grants/fellowships)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

https://twitter.com/ryanlcooper/status/1087381753650663428

https://twitter.com/ryanlcooper/status/1087384875416633352