Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flagrama
Jun 19, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
Only attached joycons actually. But yeah, these are still issues: https://lakka-switch.github.io/documentation/faq.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Retroarch is working fine but carries a higher risk of getting banned. Lakka still sucks. Up to you

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
If you mod your Switch you should stop caring about getting banned and just use it for whatever your heart desires. If you want to play Smash online then buy another Switch.

Nonviolent J
Jul 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Soiled Meat
The only reason lakka is ok is better n64 emulation, but retroarch will improve over time when the proper dynarec releases/ different cores

Nonviolent J
Jul 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Soiled Meat
Just to provide a bit more context and hopefully clear some doubts:
- The déjà-vu exploit chain goes browserhax > nvhax > gmmuhax > nspwn > [undisclosed] > warmboothax;
- What is going to be released is a browser exploit for firmware versions 4.0.0 to 6.0.1 and the "nvhax" exploit which allows you to take over the nvservices' process and access the GPU MMU (which we used for gmmuhax).

I know it's not much yet, but this will grant those with ipatched units the ability to explore the system further and look for even more vulnerabilities on a higher privilege level.
For general users (with ipatched units), the benefits will depend on the firmware version you are on:
- 4.1.0: vulnerable to the entire déjà-vu chain so it can go up to nspwn right away (full userland takeover and therefore, homebrew);
- 5.0.0 to 5.1.0: nspwn was patched in this version, but workarounds are possible by abusing gmmuhax;
- 6.0.0 to 6.0.1: many changes made exploitation really hard to achieve, but there are still workarounds.

6.1.0 patched the browser exploit that will be released (others are already being worked on) and 6.2.0 patched "nvhax" (closing down the current exploit chain).

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
How is PSP emulation on switch, any good?

baram.
Oct 23, 2007

smooth.

Empress Brosephine posted:

How is PSP emulation on switch, any good?

i think it's full speed on lakka, but it isn't in retroarch on horizon yet.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

The ppsspp core is really good, theoretically it should run flawlessly once somebody ports it to horizon

It's one of the things I'm looking forward to the most. That and kodi.

flavor.flv fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Dec 23, 2018

Defenistrator
Mar 27, 2007
Ask me about my burritos
Hey folks, I don't care about the whole banning issue for my switch as I never play online.

My only worry is bricking the system. I have a newer model that's patched to 8.2.0, and I know there are newer cfw that works with it. What is the likelihood of bricking and is there a way to save the system after being bricked?

Any guidance is appreciated :)

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

6.2.0 has been cracked, so as long as you're using one of the earlier hardware revisions you'll be fine. If you don't care about being banned, https://reinx.guide is the easiest method. It's tested and proven, and the instructions include a nand backup so you'll have insurance against possible future bricking

Defenistrator
Mar 27, 2007
Ask me about my burritos
Tried it. Looks like my switch is ipatched so I i gotta wait

Son of a Vondruke!
Aug 3, 2012

More than Star Citizen will ever be.

Defenistrator posted:

Tried it. Looks like my switch is ipatched so I i gotta wait

Ouch. I was looking for a switch earlier today, but everything I found had ipatched serial numbers. I think I might have to look for something used.

Defenistrator
Mar 27, 2007
Ask me about my burritos

Son of a Vondruke! posted:

Ouch. I was looking for a switch earlier today, but everything I found had ipatched serial numbers. I think I might have to look for something used.
Won't the ipatched get hacked soon enough though? Why not just wait it out? That's what I'm planning on doing

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?
I'm still sitting on a 4.1 system waiting for this thread to start talking about coldboot. It's... been a long wait.

ROCK THE HOUSE M.D.
Oct 9, 2003

I've got a case of malt liquor stashed in the trunk, Mr. Marvin Gaye on the CD. We are gonna get all the way down.

Mailer posted:

I'm still sitting on a 4.1 system waiting for this thread to start talking about coldboot. It's... been a long wait.

I'm on 1.0 waiting for coldboot. :sympathy:

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

As long as you're careful in making the right kind of backups and doing the right kind of updates, you can fuselessly update to whatever version you want, enjoy all the hacks, then eventually revert to exactly where you were if/when coldboot is unveiled.

That's my theoretical plan with my 1.0 -> 5.1 system, though honestly I might not bother for a good while because the thing basically never turns off in practice.

Son of a Vondruke!
Aug 3, 2012

More than Star Citizen will ever be.

Defenistrator posted:

Won't the ipatched get hacked soon enough though? Why not just wait it out? That's what I'm planning on doing

I'd rather not take the chance. Hacking the thing is half the fun, and it could end up like the 3DS. It took a long time to find an exploit for firmwares higher than 4.3.

Nonviolent J
Jul 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Soiled Meat
From Hexkyz's write up:

The updated exploit code (for 4.1.0, 5.x and 6.0.0) will be pushed to PegaSwitch over the next few days.

http://hexkyz.blogspot.com/2018/12/the-switch-memoir.html

Nonviolent J fucked around with this message at 06:27 on Dec 30, 2018

Nonviolent J
Jul 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Soiled Meat
SciresM's write up on how the kernal was originally hacked

https://gist.github.com/SciresM/425aa51f34f2dec68c97848e45dd17d9https://gist.github.com/SciresM/425aa51f34f2dec68c97848e45dd17d9

Nonviolent J
Jul 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Soiled Meat
N64 dynarec beta is out now, look up mx4w on twitter for the link

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

hey my 3ds is on 11.8.0-41U and the latest luma am I safe to do whatever system update it's asking me to do? think luma predates this update

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

Super No Vacancy posted:

hey my 3ds is on 11.8.0-41U and the latest luma am I safe to do whatever system update it's asking me to do? think luma predates this update

yeah it's fine. 11.9 didn't mess with any system stuff. Just another browser update and removed the nicovideo app off of japanese 3ds units

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

thanks

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Screwing around with a Wii I dug up and got the Homebrew Channel installed. But now I'm running into problems with the Homebrew Browser. All the applications have a create date of 1970, when downloading an app creating folder always fails, and eventually it'll error out saying something like DSI Extraction failed or something like that.

Doing some research, it seems the Homebrew Channel Browser has long ago stopped being supported for the Wii. Is that true or is there something I can do to correct that? Or do I have to download applications individually from a computer to an SD card and load from there?

Or should I just shrug my shoulders and grab a Wii U for a better modding experience?

EDIT: Holy crap I finally got something to work without crashing. Looks like I'll just be avoiding the Homebrew Browser thing and downloading the apps directly.

notthegoatseguy fucked around with this message at 02:00 on Jan 14, 2019

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
What guide did you follow? Just type "wii Homebrew 2018" into YouTube and you'll find something that still works.

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy
Dumb question but how can I know if a homebrew wad has been formatted to work on the WiiUs vWii? I got the itch to play some old Wii games and I still have my old external harddrive with all my games so I finally modded my vWii. I remember I used Wiiflow so I'm going to try that again and hope my file structure is still accepted and it'll Just Work.

Nonviolent J
Jul 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Soiled Meat
It should just work

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Stan Taylor posted:

Dumb question but how can I know if a homebrew wad has been formatted to work on the WiiUs vWii? I got the itch to play some old Wii games and I still have my old external harddrive with all my games so I finally modded my vWii. I remember I used Wiiflow so I'm going to try that again and hope my file structure is still accepted and it'll Just Work.

Just play the wads in usbloadergx instead of cluttering up your system menu. I remember my system menu was slow as poo poo until I got a class 10 SD card

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy

Uncle at Nintendo posted:

Just play the wads in usbloadergx instead of cluttering up your system menu. I remember my system menu was slow as poo poo until I got a class 10 SD card

I want to use wiiflow as a launcher, I'm not trying to make icons for each game. There's a disclaimer after the vWii install tutorial that says to make sure any wads are fomatted to be used with that instead of an original Wii or you run a risk of bricking the vWii. It's been a long time since I messed with Wii Homebrew, I remember having to install forwarders to make channels instead of launching apps from the Homebrew browser.

Also, while I'm back into futzing around on the WiiU hack front, anyone have a recommendation for emulators on the Wii U side of things. I'd like to get DS, and N64 going in particular, but also all the Nintendo stuff before then. I like having discreet emulators for each system instead of something like retroarch, which I never really gelled with.

Nonviolent J
Jul 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Soiled Meat
For PlayStation / N64 you're better off getting wiisx and wii64 and making forwarders for your Wii U main menu so you can overclock them

Keito
Jul 21, 2005

WHAT DO I CHOOSE ?

Stan Taylor posted:

Also, while I'm back into futzing around on the WiiU hack front, anyone have a recommendation for emulators on the Wii U side of things. I'd like to get DS, and N64 going in particular, but also all the Nintendo stuff before then. I like having discreet emulators for each system instead of something like retroarch, which I never really gelled with.
The libretro cores are the only worthwhile emulators on the system, time to suck it up.

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy

Keito posted:

The libretro cores are the only worthwhile emulators on the system, time to suck it up.

:mad:

Also is there a way to make the WiiU stop prompting me to format my USB hard drive I use for Wii games?

Nonviolent J
Jul 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Soiled Meat
There's a build of mocha that has a bug where it makes the Wii U think that a HDD is an SD card so it won't ask to format, but it disables your real Sd card after you run it so use haxchi for everything and Mocha when you want to use a hardrive thats for both vWii and Wii U

Nonviolent J fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Jan 16, 2019

el3m
Jun 18, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Stan Taylor posted:

Also is there a way to make the WiiU stop prompting me to format my USB hard drive I use for Wii games?

https://gbatemp.net/threads/ustealth-wii-u-format-disk-nag-workaround.352786/

Haven't tried this myself, but it should work by "hiding" the non WiiU partition

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
Overclocks coming soon, to make handheld performance on switches a little less anemic:

https://twitter.com/loleaguesin/status/1085226687741206537

https://twitter.com/m4xwdev/status/1085628051281625088

Going to the 460 MHz clock seems to already have quite a nice effect on performance, but if you want to run handheld at the same clocks that docked mode runs at (768 MHz), there's a patch for atmosphere that lets you toggle between handheld and docked clock speeds at runtime.

Author posted:

If you're really interested in running docked GPU speed in handheld, you're more than welcome to give mine a shot. It's for Atmosphere. I'll attach it in a zip. Holding ZL and clicking down the left stick activates it. ZL + Right stick returns it to whatever it was before. If you want to be 100% sure it's working ZR + Left stick will output a file to sdmc:/clock.txt with what the system reports the clock speeds are. I don't have any games that seem to benefit from it a lot though, so I'm going by what the system reports.

http://s000.tinyupload.com/?file_id=56468597866230067301

Use at your own risk, since the power draw running at full speed docked mode could be more than the battery can handle. The dock has more power output than the battery and doesn't need to power the screen simultaneously.

HenryEx fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Jan 18, 2019

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Lol if this hack starts a galaxy note 7 battery kerfuffle

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

Nah, it would cause crashes or power-downs, not spontaneous combustion.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

If you over discharge a lithium they will very much burn or at the least balloon up and push the screen out.

Nonviolent J
Jul 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Soiled Meat
With the new dynarec and overclocking everycn64 game I throw at my switch is near perfect, apart from goldeneye of course, but it's crazy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack
Anyone bought one of those rcm payload things from aliexpress? Are they any good? Or should I get the SX OS one