Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before

Xenaero posted:

They blew it by not implementing competitive settings in regular play early on

yeah this should have been at 1.0 if they wanted a competitive scene and pick a map for it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
This happens more often than I'd like (console trash, sorry)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K-8wCJLgF9s

I've had it worse, once I was stuck in a wall for five minutes (but had a shotgun). Finally suddenly walked by me, I killed them from half in the wall and it somehow freed me.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

CornHolio posted:

This happens more often than I'd like (console trash, sorry)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K-8wCJLgF9s

I've had it worse, once I was stuck in a wall for five minutes (but had a shotgun). Finally suddenly walked by me, I killed them from half in the wall and it somehow freed me.

Wait, that fuckin' bug happens on consoles?! I thought it was some hosed up PC drivers or file loading thing, where the engine makes a bad assumption on your ability to load the necessary assets or your graphics drivers somehow bug out. How does this happen on a console?

BCRock
Dec 13, 2005
I'm huge in Japan
You understand that consoles are just worse PCs, right?

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

BCRock posted:

You understand that consoles are just worse PCs, right?

But they're the same, surely they could like....fix that poo poo?

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
Bugs? In a game? This is unpossible

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rQS-sBmnUu4

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Well that explains why I love the Vector, and why sometimes it feels like it acts bizarre. Maybe I've just used the Vector in low FPS places when I needed good recoil, and used it in high FPS places when recoil wasn't an issue and the quick time-to-kill had a demonstrably positive effect.

Xenaero
Sep 26, 2006

Slippery Tilde
Queued with 2 friends, we ended up in a 4 man game. Only one enemy. So we went around collecting every drop, it was kinda fun.

We eventually found him prone behind some haybale in a field somewhere and then the hail of mk14/awm gunfire commenced.

Very bizarre how the servers will act

e: also the thread will dig how stupid I was here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aTLkZmpeU1A

Xenaero fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Jan 18, 2019

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

Playing on a bad computer is getting you killed in close combat and has been since launch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WgT_mMS3fuo

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
I played the first 900 hours on a potato, can confirm I lost 100% of every 50-50 encounter I ever ran into. Feels bad, man.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

VulgarandStupid posted:

Playing on a bad computer is getting you killed in close combat and has been since launch.

Huh, I don't think I've ever seen something that stupid in a game that wishes it was esports ready. I wonder if that also effects how fast you run, or the likelihood that your three-seater bike will murder you.

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

VulgarandStupid posted:

:psyboom:

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
I played at 1024x768 for a few months and while I couldn't see anyone more than 250m out, I was winning everything at close range like it wasn't even close.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

VulgarandStupid posted:

There were a couple examples where the higher FPS was shooting slower because it wasn't in sync with the gun. lmao

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

VulgarandStupid posted:

I would love to be able to say this was the cause of a lot of my deaths, but nope. I'm going to stick with the fact that I'm just bad at this game.

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

Ice Fist posted:

I would love to be able to say this was the cause of a lot of my deaths, but nope. I'm going to stick with the fact that I'm just bad at this game.

I think about the only time this will contribute to your death is if you and your opponent start shooting each other at the same time. If you like to do hot drops and get in close this can be a serious issue.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Regrettable posted:

I think about the only time this will contribute to your death is if you and your opponent start shooting each other at the same time. If you like to do hot drops and get in close this can be a serious issue.

Or if your opponent starts shooting you, is bad and misses a bunch, and you're able to get on target, but not able to get to cover, so you just have to kill them as fast as you can.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
I bet it affects run speed too, the guys in my squad who have 1080's and up (I have a shameful 6gb 1060 and a low tax bracket i7-8700) always beat me (and barge past) into doors when it seems like there's no way using standard geometrical measurements they should beat me in a straight line, however the scum-class GPU guys in my unit (1050 and below) never have this trick work for them

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?
Just another way client-side calculations will gently caress you over.
If this was Quake 3 (or any other sane netcode), this would happen:

1. Player 1 shoots player 2. Client 1 sends the mouse-down event to the server and does preliminary simulation of the shot, calculates that it was a hit
2. Client 1 renders shot locally so player 1 sees his shot, shows blood
3. Server simulates shot at a predetermined tick rate, calculates hit
4. Server sends update to other clients: Client 1 shot player 2
5. Player 2 sees himself get shot
6. Player 1 holds button. Client 1 keeps rendering shots fired
7. Server keeps simulating shots fired (AT CORRECT RATE OF FIRE)
8. Player 1 stops shooting. Client 1 sends mouse-up event to server
etc

In PUBG, apparently this goes:
1. Player 1 shoots player 2. Client 1 simulates the shot at whatever FPS it is running.
2. Client 1 renders shot locally so player 1 sees his shot, sends "bullet spawned" message to server
3. Server gets info about bullet, retroactively correct its simulation so the bullet was spawned at the time the client said it was
4. Server updates other clients: Player 1 shot a bullet
etc.

In essence, the server doesn't know or care what buttons you press, it only cares about what results your client got from its simulation. Which is a great way to design a server, if you are absolutely sure no one, ever, will have any reason to hack their client to shoot everyone in the head through walls. And if you don't care about the simulation tick rate.

Saves a lot of server side CPU time and reduces the perceived latency for Player 1.

Hippie Hedgehog fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Jan 20, 2019

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

George H.W. oval office posted:

There were a couple examples where the higher FPS was shooting slower because it wasn't in sync with the gun. lmao

Yes but on average the taster computer shoots faster.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

VulgarandStupid posted:

Yes but on average the taster computer shoots faster.

Assuming consistent framerates, yes. PUBG is such a mess that your framerate will fluctuate wildly no matter how good your machine is, and because weapons have different FPS breakpoints where their damage output is maximized, your raw damage output also changes wildly from frame to frame. Of course your applicable DPS also changes since the recoil also becomes easier as your weapon shoots slower, though that could also throw you off if your muscle memory is based on your guns nominal firing rate.

Also this is just insane lol, this is like those crappy console ports where random game mechanics are based on frame rate, usually targeted at 30 FPS, so if your PC version runs at 60FPS your weapon durability drops twice as fast, or the physics engine completely freaks out or whatever.

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

Official non-response:

quote:

Obviously a non-technical response isn't fitting here. This is complicated and deserves a detailed and technical response.

We'll be working with the gameplay team and engineers to get a better understanding of what's happening and provide an explanation after the weekend, sometime early in the week.

lol

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Wow they didn't just ignore it? That's bold.

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

no wonder close-range fights were always such a shitshow when combined with the weird framedrops

what a goddamn mess.

John DiFool
Aug 28, 2013

Just imagine what it would be like if pubg had been developed by a competent team of programmers.

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

John DiFool posted:

Just imagine what it would be like if pubg had been developed by a competent team of programmers.

I will maintain to the grave that if someone with any level of technical competency had built PUBG it would have been counterstrike v2 in terms of how utterly ubiquitous it could have been.

It's a shame because they had the opportunity after making so many hundreds of millions in early access - hire a shitload of developers to make the game an actual game, then hit people with the storefront and keep it sustained on that.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
I thought part of the issue was that it's very difficult to acquire developers for anything that isn't mobile games in Korea?

ControlledBurn
Sep 7, 2006

Frost his bag!

Regrettable posted:

Official non-response:

lol

Translation: we don’t know what the gently caress is going on here, and don’t want to admit it.

Red Red Blue
Feb 11, 2007

Turns out Fortnite has that same issue so it's probably some deep engine thing rather than any specific bluehole incompetence

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000
I am a slimey vat of concentrated stupidity

Fun Shoe

Red Red Blue posted:

Turns out Fortnite has that same issue so it's probably some deep engine thing rather than any specific bluehole incompetence

Probably can't 'fire' until the previous shot has completed it's animation cycle, so if the current frame shows as still animating then the shot cannot happen until the next frame.

That would lead to the results they're seeing with high framerates being generally good and there being some pathologically bad low frame rate numbers.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

John DiFool posted:

I'll let you in on a secret: all code is terrible. Every program is a barely functional mess held together with duct tape and chewing gum.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

FunOne posted:

Probably can't 'fire' until the previous shot has completed it's animation cycle, so if the current frame shows as still animating then the shot cannot happen until the next frame.

No, it's the thing I wrote in my long-rear end post about how the client does the simulation of the next frame whenever it's done rendering the previous one. Instead of, you know, running the simulation at a constant tick rate independent of the rendering frame rate, which would be sensible.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

PUBG is officially pay to win.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Dev letter retooling the Vikendi weapon spawns.

https://www.pubg.com/2019/01/22/20999/

It seems super weird that a map like Vikendi is geared towards SMGs as opposed to say Sanhok. Or at least what they are saying it's supposed to be. Especially when late game turns into sniper fests, and it's never guaranteed you're going to be able to loot the people you kill, or run across some bitchin sniper rifle or DMR.

Edit: Not only that but at some point some update retooled the footstep sounds, and you can hear people from FURTHER away. An SMG can't really do any significant damage if you get the drop on people from far away so it kinda makes SMGs even more useless unless you drop into a heavily populated big city area.

Jiro fucked around with this message at 06:10 on Jan 23, 2019

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

I guess that would explain why there's so many compounds on Vikendi, but if they think that's what makes SMGs viable they don't play their own game since even a single play of the map would see that the giant open expanses between compounds are extremely punishing to an SMG loadout, because you have to choose between an AR/DMR or Bolt-Action for your secondary, so you can get screwed depending on whether the opponent is at 200m or 500m, and whether or not they looted a level 3 helmet.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
I haven't played for a while and now that I reinstalled I'm seeing a somewhat silly issue wherein the game will only maximize on my secondary monitor in "windows fullscreen" mode, when I try to have it in regular fullscreen mode on my primary monitor the game keeps minimizing the background.

Some googling shows I'm not the only person who encountered this but other than plenty of complaints I couldn't find any solution for this. Perhaps there's some goon wisdom on this topic? anyone managed to solve this?

(Running a Geforce GTX 780, latest driver)

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

emanresu tnuocca posted:

I haven't played for a while and now that I reinstalled I'm seeing a somewhat silly issue wherein the game will only maximize on my secondary monitor in "windows fullscreen" mode, when I try to have it in regular fullscreen mode on my primary monitor the game keeps minimizing the background.

Some googling shows I'm not the only person who encountered this but other than plenty of complaints I couldn't find any solution for this. Perhaps there's some goon wisdom on this topic? anyone managed to solve this?

(Running a Geforce GTX 780, latest driver)

Anti cheat.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

Jiro posted:

Dev letter retooling the Vikendi weapon spawns.

https://www.pubg.com/2019/01/22/20999/

It seems super weird that a map like Vikendi is geared towards SMGs as opposed to say Sanhok. Or at least what they are saying it's supposed to be. Especially when late game turns into sniper fests, and it's never guaranteed you're going to be able to loot the people you kill, or run across some bitchin sniper rifle or DMR.

Edit: Not only that but at some point some update retooled the footstep sounds, and you can hear people from FURTHER away. An SMG can't really do any significant damage if you get the drop on people from far away so it kinda makes SMGs even more useless unless you drop into a heavily populated big city area.

Interesting post, thanks!

I think it's great that they're reducing L3 armor & helmets. Everyone has been L3'd by mid-game and it makes the SMGs even more useless because they have lovely armor penetration.

I guess the point of including L3 helmets was to nerf bolt-action snipers a bit. But the wide-open spaces make it so instead DMRs are overpowered. Reducing the spawn for DMR attachments also seems like the right choice, consequently.
However, reducing DMR weapons spawn will make it even more of a lottery and the change might make it feel even more unfair when you have an SMG and die to someone with an SLR two-shotting you in an open field.

Edit: So, canted sights, new SMG, NIGHT MODE ON VIKENDI!

https://www.pubg.com/2019/01/23/test-server-update-25-patch-notes/

Also they added the most important feature from CS:GO.

quote:

With a BattleStat weapon skin applied, the number of players killed with that weapon is recorded/displayed on the skin.

Hippie Hedgehog fucked around with this message at 13:04 on Jan 23, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text
The battlestat gun is that specific AK only, it's locked behind a random chance of acquiring that crate with BP points, and then locked behind buying a key to open the crate, and then it's shielded behind a 0.16% chance of getting that gun in the crate.

That gun is going to sell for hundreds and hundreds of dollars. The crates might sell for decent amounts too if you can get one. So what I'm saying is, don't spend your BP this week. Spend it 1/29 when you have a chance to get those Erangel Police crates.

Also lol at "We are going to optimize maps to the type of play that we think suits those maps... Vikendi is an smg map... *raises AR and 4x spawn rates*..."

The decrease in lvl3 helmets is a good one. I'd prefer them just removing them all together. Also they really need to re-work the blue zones in vikendi for midgame, it's boring as all hell. And they STILL need to add dynamic bluezones to miramar and erangel.