Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.
I dunno, even as a longtime metalhead I'm one of those guys who'd probably put Fear of a Blank Planet 5th or 6th in my PT album ranking

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

I only liked the first track of Fear. :shrug:

In Absentia, eh I liked it okay. I checked it out after liking The Incident. I'll give it a relisten. Gravity Eyelids was cool.

I'll explore more of their stuff.

Also, where's a good place to go with Soft Machine after Third?

sinepost
Nov 16, 2004

four o'clock and all's well

DoubleCakes posted:

It depends how much you liked Third. Fourth is the natural next choice as it's basically a slightly jazzier continuation of what they were doing on Third. Things get even darker and jazzier with Fifth.

If you want a slightly more structured, fusion take on Third then you probably want to try Six next, then Seven.

Or if your favourite track on Third is Moon in June, you probably want to hear more Wyatt on either of the first two albums.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Soft Machine - Seven Ate Nine

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

DoubleCakes posted:

I only liked the first track of Fear. :shrug:

In Absentia, eh I liked it okay. I checked it out after liking The Incident. I'll give it a relisten. Gravity Eyelids was cool.

I'll explore more of their stuff.

Half of Porcupine Tree's stuff only landed on me after the first time I saw them live. It's weird for a guy as introverted and prolific a writer and producer as Steven Wilson, but he's really a live musician. Getting that onstage connection helped me understand where he was coming from.

I usually recommend prog-heads get into the PT discography with The Sky Moves Sideways, though. Some people like to write that album off as some kind of half-assed aping of Pink Floyd's Animals because of the length and structure of the tracks on the album, but that's a really lazy comparison that doesn't fit the music at all.

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR

Vulture Culture posted:

I usually recommend prog-heads get into the PT discography with The Sky Moves Sideways, though. Some people like to write that album off as some kind of half-assed aping of Pink Floyd's Animals because of the length and structure of the tracks on the album, but that's a really lazy comparison that doesn't fit the music at all.
I mean, if you liked "Time Flies", which is a thinly-veiled remix of Pink Floyd's Animals, then maybe that's not such a bad thing.

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

Steven Wilson has himself commented, and admitted to the similarities of early albums, such as Sky Moves Sideways, to Pink Floyds music. So its really not strange that other people would.
Its still good music though.

JAMOOOL
Oct 18, 2004

:qq: I LOVE TWO AND HALF MEN!! YOU 20 SOMETHINGS ARE JUST TOO CYNICAL TO UNDERSTAND IT!!:qq:
Does anyone want to hear a Japanese idol group tackling prog?

here is a cover of "The Last Seven Minutes" by Magma

https://xoxo-ex.bandcamp.com/album/the-last-seven-minutes

and some weird "Hoedown/Karn Evil 9" mashup

https://xoxo-ex.bandcamp.com/track/progressive-be-bop

this stuff is like crack to me

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

JAMOOOL posted:

Well.......there was something I never expected to hear. I honestly enjoyed it, but it is definitely very weird.

Grudgerm
May 4, 2012

by Reene
I could never get into Van der Graaf Generator. Does anyone know a good album to start with?

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Grudgerm posted:

I could never get into Van der Graaf Generator. Does anyone know a good album to start with?

Pawn Hearts

OneSizeFitsAll
Sep 13, 2010

Du bist mein Sofa
I'd say Still Life. Though Pawn Hearts is a must-buy if you get into them.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben
Pawn Hearts was where I started, but I found Man-Erg really goofy and off-putting, and it turned me off the band for a while.

Godbluff is the album where VdGG really clicked for me, and might be the only one that I feel doesn't have any weak moments. Also as far as individual tracks go, the first one I heard that I really loved was the cumbersomely named Cat's Eye/Yellow Fever/Running from The Quiet Zone/The Pleasure Dome.

Grudgerm
May 4, 2012

by Reene
Just checked out Pawn Hearts. Holy hell, this stuff is hilarious, kidding! But I really dig it! Is that the lead singer in the blurred photo on the right side of the album cover?

RDreamer
Apr 10, 2009

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

Vulture Culture posted:

I dunno, even as a longtime metalhead I'm one of those guys who'd probably put Fear of a Blank Planet 5th or 6th in my PT album ranking

Same here. If it had included all the Nil Recurring tracks that might be a different story but as-is, it's really low on my PT list.

Though I think part of that is because I heard live recordings of them demoing the album before it came out. Listened to those like crazy and then the album dropped and it didn't impact quite as much. The vocals especially are way too subdued. It's like he was trying to make himself sound lethargic and hopped up on drugs. Thematically I get it, but man he had some amazing vocal parts on the live versions. Basically my favorite hooks were pretty much gone from the studio recording. Subsequent live recordings have been pretty decent, though.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 17 hours!
Dates for this summer for Crimson are slowly coming out. Going to Leipzig and the last night in London, here.

Colonel J
Jan 3, 2008

Rust Martialis posted:

Dates for this summer for Crimson are slowly coming out. Going to Leipzig and the last night in London, here.

On one hand I can't believe you go see KC that often, but on the other I'm really jealous.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 17 hours!

Colonel J posted:

On one hand I can't believe you go see KC that often, but on the other I'm really jealous.

At this point I think I know 20 friends travelling from US, Canada, and Europe to the June 20 show, plus I have gotten to know several band members. Leipzig is the F&F show, all I have to do is *get* there and it's free.

There's a later F&F show in Mexico City apparently as well, but I have my limits. :/

Then Three of a Perfect Pair Camp is in mid-August in the Catskills.

Meanwhile P@ is touring with Colin Edwin and ORk, who are opening for The Pineapple Thief (with Gavin) this spring in Europe. Stick Men are touring later in 2019 (Tony, Markus, P@) and into 2020.

Ade is kicking off a tour with an enlarged band, but I think US only.

Grudgerm
May 4, 2012

by Reene
On topic with King Crimson, Has anyone seen the 1984 King Crimson live in Japan video?

Here’s a link: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Bde9rKGEsk8

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

RDreamer posted:

Same here. If it had included all the Nil Recurring tracks that might be a different story but as-is, it's really low on my PT list.

Though I think part of that is because I heard live recordings of them demoing the album before it came out. Listened to those like crazy and then the album dropped and it didn't impact quite as much. The vocals especially are way too subdued. It's like he was trying to make himself sound lethargic and hopped up on drugs. Thematically I get it, but man he had some amazing vocal parts on the live versions. Basically my favorite hooks were pretty much gone from the studio recording. Subsequent live recordings have been pretty decent, though.
Yeah, I saw the album promo tour back in 2006 a couple months before the album dropped. They did Cheating the Polygraph in place of Way Out of Here. The whole thing had a ton more energy than the studio version captured, and the set was way more impactful with that track order. The replacement must have been a last-minute decision.

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR
New Soen single sounds kinda Pink Floyd-ish. (The other new singles sound more like Lykaia, which is fine by me.)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qLSh0E0Rikc

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 17 hours!
RPWL is touring again this summer. Their bassist apparently quit.

Grudgerm
May 4, 2012

by Reene
Echolyn came out with a new album a year ago (at least a year I think) and its pretty solid, especially “Warjazz”.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

Incoherence posted:

New Soen single sounds kinda Pink Floyd-ish. (The other new singles sound more like Lykaia, which is fine by me.)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qLSh0E0Rikc
I definitely get the Pink Floyd comparisons, especially in the solo. I originally heard the guitar tone and thought "that sounds a little bit more like Raven-era Steven Wilson to me", then remembered that album was engineered by Alan Parsons. Cody Ford's guitar work really does remind me of Guthrie Govan here, though.

e: engineered, not produced

Vulture Culture fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Jan 21, 2019

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Soen is insanely good. I’m surprised they’re not even more popular.

teen bear
Feb 19, 2006

Does anyone know the ticket pre-relase codes or details for the upcoming King Crimson shows? Looks like pre-release tickets are going on sale tomorrow for Toronto

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 17 hours!
https://www.dgmlive.com/tickets/2200

Colonel J
Jan 3, 2008

teen bear posted:

Does anyone know the ticket pre-relase codes or details for the upcoming King Crimson shows? Looks like pre-release tickets are going on sale tomorrow for Toronto

Woah, same question for Montreal. Regular tickets going out on friday but if there's a way to get them as a pre-release I need to know.

teen bear
Feb 19, 2006

Very tempting, but there's also a "facebook" and "ticketmaster" pre-sale listed on the ticketmaster page for tomorrow for regular tickets. DGM online only mentions pre-sale codes for mexico dates

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 17 hours!

teen bear posted:

Very tempting, but there's also a "facebook" and "ticketmaster" pre-sale listed on the ticketmaster page for tomorrow for regular tickets. DGM online only mentions pre-sale codes for mexico dates

Oh, TM... yeah sorry. Nobody at DGM I could ask would know those codes.

E: have asked folks back in Toronto who may know. Will update if lucky.

Rust Martialis fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Jan 21, 2019

teen bear
Feb 19, 2006

cool, thanks!

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

JAMOOOL posted:

holy poo poo, it's Katamari Damacy music

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

YOUR LIPS SAY 0, BUT YOUR EYES SAY 1.

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

holy poo poo, it's Katamari Damacy music

:magical:

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

Just discovered Soup and these guys kick rear end, highly recommended for people who dig Bruce Soord-type crossover stuff

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S_D1pHoQw-M

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

Vulture Culture posted:

Just discovered Soup and these guys kick rear end, highly recommended for people who dig Bruce Soord-type crossover stuff

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S_D1pHoQw-M

Speaking of, where the hell is the new Wisdom Of Crowds :(

Omnikin
May 29, 2007

Press 'E' for Medic
*makes a weird face*

*plays the poo poo out of the new Cheeto's Magazine album*

https://cheetosmagazine.bandcamp.com/album/amazingous

Fun, technical, immensely enjoyable?

Colonel J
Jan 3, 2008
Ozric Tentacles is considered prog right? At this point I'm convinced they're the best band to just leave on play for hours and you're always guaranteed a good time. Any other prolific instrumental jam bands like them?

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Colonel J posted:

Ozric Tentacles is considered prog right? At this point I'm convinced they're the best band to just leave on play for hours and you're always guaranteed a good time. Any other prolific instrumental jam bands like them?

let's not make prog even lamer by lumping it in with jam bands

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben
Quantum Fantay and Hidria Spacefolk are both very Ozrics-like. And of course most elements of Ozric Tentacles' sound are derived from Gong, especially the album You.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Colonel J posted:

Somehow I forgot these guys existed. I remember listening to them a ton in the late 00s. I’m going to revisit them now so thanks for reminding me.