Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Board gamers aren't afraid to drop serious cash without warning. We had a buy 4 get one free program and we'd routinely see $400+ sales from customers we'd never seen before. That industry is booming and more comic shops are dedicating additional space because of the foot traffic they bring in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Hey Gavok, have you ever thought about a list article for Den of Geek where you talk about times other heroes actually praised Spider-Man? It seems like the running joke is that he's a joke despite being pretty incredible.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Hey Gavok, have you ever thought about a list article for Den of Geek where you talk about times other heroes actually praised Spider-Man? It seems like the running joke is that he's a joke despite being pretty incredible.

I recall some comic (maybe a Bendis issue of New Avengers?) when Captain America defended Spidey to someone. He said something to the effect of "You have no idea what this young man has been through. He has been through hell, his life ruined and ripped apart, and he always perseveres and never gives up." I have to admit, I got a little choked up!

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
Wasn't there an entire issue recently that was just that? Heroes praising Spider-man?

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

I recall some comic (maybe a Bendis issue of New Avengers?) when Captain America defended Spidey to someone. He said something to the effect of "You have no idea what this young man has been through. He has been through hell, his life ruined and ripped apart, and he always perseveres and never gives up." I have to admit, I got a little choked up!

I was actually thinking of when Cap asks Spider-Man to join during the initial Bendis Avengers run where he says "Every time I've fought by your side, I have been amazed."

Then Peter says "Sure why not, I could use the money". Cap goes "Oh, there's no money" and Peter says "Oh that's so me, it's not funny".

El Gallinero Gros fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Jan 21, 2019

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

I was actually thinking of when Cap asks Spider-Man to join during the initial Bendis Avengers run where he says "Every time I've fought by your side, I have been amazed."

Then Peter says "Sure why not, I could use the money". Cap goes "Oh, there's no money" and Peter says "Oh that's so me, it's not funny".

I remember that too, definitely from early in New Avengers. Probably the first story arc, "Breakout."

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Not exactly what you’re talking about but I love that Jonah and Peter have patched things up because Jonah’s a good ally.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

That's not a bad idea.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

Sounds like that recent comic about the guy making a documentary about Spider-Man.

Even though it's not fully about him, one I always loved was back when Bendis had that mostly-terrible talking heads documentary gimmick going on in New Avengers. The last issue of that started with Avengers talking about how every Avenger has people who think they're unworthy to be part of the team. Each hero would badmouth another, which would lead to the badmouthed hero to badmouth the next. Like Wolverine calling Spider-Man a menace before Spider-Man would criticize Noh-Varr.

The issue was about Luke and Jessica trying to convince Daredevil to join the team. That led to a reprise of the earlier bit to end the issue:

Hawkeye: So who is a worthy Avenger then? How about a selfless samurai warrior.

Wolverine: Or a misunderstood hero who never gives up.

Spider-Man: A cunning military mind from another culture.

Noh-Varr: A true master and protector of the mystic arts.

Dr. Strange: An unbreakable urban warrior.

Luke Cage: A futurist.

Iron Man: The best secret agent in the world.

Spider-Woman: The best marksman on the planet.

Daredevil: And... a swashbuckling ninja who can't say no to a friend.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

X-O posted:

Not exactly what you’re talking about but I love that Jonah and Peter have patched things up because Jonah’s a good ally.

Who wrote this, Zdarsky? Slott?

I'm a sucker for good Jameson stories, especially when he is written as a noble, caring, civic-minded man who does the right thing, and a good journalist/publisher. I can't be the only person who STILL wants a Jameson movie, ideally starring J.K. Simmons.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

It’s from the most recent issue of Amazing Spider-Man. The current arc has been about some demons catching up to Jonah.

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009
https://twitter.com/CadenBraylen/status/1086805547481935872

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I have been wondering lately if I should take some time off the forum.

Is it possible to request a probation? Or alternatively, is it possible to request a temporary ban so you can't actually see the forum for the duration?

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Can't you will yourself to not browse?

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Probably not. :(

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Wheat Loaf posted:

I have been wondering lately if I should take some time off the forum.

Is it possible to request a probation? Or alternatively, is it possible to request a temporary ban so you can't actually see the forum for the duration?

You could request a probation and the maximum time for that would be one month. That would mean you just can't post. If you actually wanted a ban you would have to pay the ten dollars when you wanted to come back. The system doesn't have a temp ban option.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Alright, I will have a think about it.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas

Is that a coloring error or did Captain America rip his moustache off?

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I've had a think about it. I have decided I will go away for a little while. I am on the Internet too much anyway.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

Opened my eyes.

Archyduchess posted:

He shaved, that's the joke.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Archyduchess posted:

I think he just said "get rid of the Hitler stache damnit"

X-O posted:

Is Fisk a Donald Trump stand in?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Madkal posted:

Is Fisk a Donald Trump stand in?

That's insulting to the Kingpin.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Kingpin is a semi competent criminal. So no.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Opened my eyes.
To think that now we can go back to the times Lex Luthor or Fisk or JJJ or the rear end in a top hat Captain America from Ultimate were elected and think "You know, it wasn't that bad."

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I get mildly irritated whenever any media or news outlet compares Trump to any well known villain.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Rhyno posted:

I get mildly irritated whenever any media or news outlet compares Trump to any well known villain.

The only one I would accept is Joffrey from Game of Thrones.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Opened my eyes.
I feel like Osborn in charge of HAMMER would be sort of apt

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Samuringa posted:

I feel like Osborn in charge of HAMMER would be sort of apt

Even at his worst depictions he wasn't a blatant racist. You can stretch the anti-Asgardian stuff but that was Loki's influence.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
Let's never forget Gold Skull from Al Ewing's delightful U.S.Avengers.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Opened my eyes.

Rhyno posted:

Even at his worst depictions he wasn't a blatant racist. You can stretch the anti-Asgardian stuff but that was Loki's influence.

I just feel like its the one that might have more hits than misses. Demented madman, cheated his way to power, fascist, history of sexual assault, rear end in a top hat to family, enforced official death squads under his rule, "Build The Wall" is around the same level of inane as "Siege on Asgard"

But yea, this kind of reference reminds me of the people who keep comparing politics to Harry Potter.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

Wheat Loaf posted:

I've had a think about it. I have decided I will go away for a little while. I am on the Internet too much anyway.

I understand that feeling. Take care of yourself, friend

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Norman actually killed the Skrull Queen. And his new defense force actually happened.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Rhyno posted:

A Captain Planet villain kinda works.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
(Since the ban I have asked for has not quite gone through just yet)

Rhyno posted:

Doctor Spaceman posted:

A Captain Planet villain kinda works.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Nothing wrong with a mental health break every now and then

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

"Build the wall" was actually Odin's idea, so I could see Loki being against it, if anything. In fact, he hosed a horse to ensure it didn't get completed.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Opened my eyes.
Odin wanted the Wall built for free, but the Ice Giant was going to manage it in time and take Freyja as payment. To thwart that he sent Loki to gently caress his horse and now I think I made this even more Trump-y instead of less

site posted:

Nothing wrong with a mental health break every now and then

I read that as "a mental breakdown every now and then" and was going to chime in that yea, you get used to it before realizing my mistake.

Esplanade
Jan 6, 2005

So what you're saying is, Loki is Mike Pence?

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Opened my eyes.
I have made that comparison in another subforum, still sounds likely.

edit: Story time, something that actually involves comics:

These are his sample pages btw:

Samuringa fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Jan 22, 2019

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?
Loki is Steve Bannon.

EDIT: They both massive grifters.

David D. Davidson fucked around with this message at 01:56 on Jan 22, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

X-O posted:

What made JJJ change his mind? Because I think Bendis actually handled it really well in the Ultimate universe.