Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!
Thanks for the feedback everyone :)

What’s the airbrushing part for the blood reavers?

Priming, color blocking the flesh and pants, then conventional brushing everything else?

Because you did like 120 of them on that super cool dipping speed painting!!

JIZZ DENOUEMENT fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Jan 21, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

For folks that mainly do airbrushing... what % of the total model paint process is done with airbrush vs conventional brush?

Like 5% priming
90% air brush
5% conventional brush touch ups?

What level of detail can you do with air brushes?

My budget is pretty tight so I’m figuring out if I should bother with airbrushes to start if I’m gonna need to do a fair amount of conventional brushing anyway.

Depends on the model. Dreads, armor, infinity models, lots of marines, drukhari vehicles/coven stuff, and Necrons see heavy airbrushing. CSM is more blocking out. Edge highlights are almost always gonna be by hand.

What the airbrush buys you (other than saving time and paint) is incredible efficiency in shading, zenithal highlights/OSL, and color blocking. It also helps avoid brush strokes on large surfaces. Once you're more comfortable with it, you can do most Tau/marine stuff incredibly fast. Aggressors are a good example, and probably inceptors (I haven't painted any yet). If I were spitballing, I'd say it cuts the time on leviathan dreads and ravenwing flyers by about 75%. Similar for poxwalkers, plague marines, daemons in general

The only way to get more comfortable is to do it. You don't need a $200 brush yet, though

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes
Here's the thing about airbrush equipment...

Money buys longevity and reliability, not better results.

By that I mean, that the difference between a $50 compressor and a $250 compressor is that one will last you a year of constant use, and one will last you 10+ years. Otherwise they both pump the same air at the same rates.
The difference between a knockoff airbrush you get in a package deal on Amazon, and a $150 Iwata is that the Iwata is going to last practically forever, be easy to clean and maintain, get parts for and you won't strip the threads if you try to disassemble/reassemble it. Otherwise they spray the same paint with the same precision.
Even Airbrush paint is just pre-thinned model acrylics in dropper bottles. Properly thinned you can use your existing paints.

This means that if you're on a tight budget or just looking to dip your toe in and see if you want to try airbrushing and see if you like it. Buy the cheap kit off Amazon and give it a try. If you like it, upgrade to quality gear as the starter set starts wearing out or you advance beyond it's abilities.

Yes if you buy quality equipment from the beginning you'll save yourself some money in the long run, IF you continue to use it regularly, but if it turns out it's not your thing or you only use it to prime and basecoat, you'll save a few hundred bucks right now.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

For folks that mainly do airbrushing... what % of the total model paint process is done with airbrush vs conventional brush?

Like 5% priming
90% air brush
5% conventional brush touch ups?

What level of detail can you do with air brushes?

My budget is pretty tight so I’m figuring out if I should bother with airbrushes to start if I’m gonna need to do a fair amount of conventional brushing anyway.

As others have said this is entirely down to the colour scheme and miniature.

My last 40k army was 90% airbrush, my current 30k army is nearly 100% apart from some oil washes and a couple of sharp highlights.

Serenade
Nov 5, 2011

"I should really learn to fucking read"
I procrastinate a lot for mini painting, so I kind of don't use an airbrush besides priming and top coats.

Except outside of mini painting. Airbrushing has been great for little tasks around the house like containers, fixtures, and labeling outdoor stuff. Someone I know wants their light switch covers to be a particular pale yellow and couldn't find them anywhere. I can just do that for cheap and for little effort.

As gauche as it is to say in a miniatures painting thread, airbrushing is also good for not miniatures painting. It's a tool kit and, like most tool kits, has many uses.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Cat Face Joe posted:

i thought this was a computer rendering at first

Gareth Gobulcoque posted:

That's dope af, ijyt.

Cheers!

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
I cannot give you public praise until my commission is finished.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Are diamond-dust files too strong for plastics? If so, what do you guys recommend instead?

Gareth Gobulcoque
Jan 10, 2008

40k cross post. I painted some things. Pretty happy with how they turned out all things considered. I wanted to keep total paint time under 2 hours per model so the blending is a little quick and dirty by my standards even though ok overall. I might try and do that differently next time with single brush blends maybe.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
Those are excellent and the grass you used for basing color really nails the scheme. Great work.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Sab669 posted:

Are diamond-dust files too strong for plastics? If so, what do you guys recommend instead?

Nah that stuff's great, but I'd follow it up with some fine grit sandpaper/emery boards.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

Sab669 posted:

Depends. What are you trying to do exactly?

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Doctor Zero posted:

Depends. What are you trying to do exactly?

Just filing down where my flush cutters couldn't get a clean cut. Trying to step up my assembling /model prep game this year.

Just picked up the GW mold line tool and it's nice. Pretty expensive and I'm sure a hobby knife would've been fine but I like not having to worry about cutting myself :downs: Has a great weight to it.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

Sab669 posted:

Just filing down where my flush cutters couldn't get a clean cut. Trying to step up my assembling /model prep game this year.

Just picked up the GW mold line tool and it's nice. Pretty expensive and I'm sure a hobby knife would've been fine but I like not having to worry about cutting myself :downs: Has a great weight to it.

Yeah that world work, but I prefer an exacto and using the flat of the blade to scrape away plastic. Files make the plastic rough, which is actually okay if you’re going to glue it (not about more surface - just that it won’t be seen. Plastic glue literally melts the plastic together so surface area doesn’t matter as much as long as there’s contact).

But yeah, you’ll lose blood doing it that way. Deffo. You’ll also ruin the blade so get extra or use an older blade.

I think I made a video at one point. Maybe I can find it.

Found it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ahyiWLwjYk0

Doctor Zero fucked around with this message at 00:59 on Jan 22, 2019

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Yea I've noticed the files kind of rough up some of the plastic. It's hard to be precise with them but I think now between that and the mold line tool I should be much better off.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
I use two pairs of files. Cheap files that grind down really well, but leave marks, and miniature files that have less bite, but leave no marks.

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

40k cross post. I painted some things. Pretty happy with how they turned out all things considered. I wanted to keep total paint time under 2 hours per model so the blending is a little quick and dirty by my standards even though ok overall. I might try and do that differently next time with single brush blends maybe.

These are some of the best Thousand Sons I've ever seen. They really pop, and echoing everyone else on the basing.

Duct Tape
Sep 30, 2004

Huh?

What did you use for that grass? The pink/orange is absolutely crazy and I love it.

Gareth Gobulcoque
Jan 10, 2008

Just regular static grass tufts. Primed white, then spectra tex fluorescent wild berry, pink, and orange. All through the airbrush.

There's also fluorescent paint on the flames on the icon. It's a really easy way to provide intense and vibrant pop to miniatures. It's even more effective in person where the colors are a little more eye searing than a screen a reproduce, but it does take a little practice and some planning to make sure they're acting as an eye catching accent without overwhelming the rest of the model.

Gareth Gobulcoque fucked around with this message at 06:12 on Jan 22, 2019

Thanqol
Feb 15, 2012

because our character has the 'poet' trait, this update shall be told in the format of a rap battle.
I've posted blurry, out-of-focus shots of my Infinity mans before, but here they are in GLORIOUS HACH DEE

I will say I am insanely glad I decided to go with the yellow-and-white for my tiny model count spec ops infinity army and not for my genestealer cultists.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
Have a crow X-post

BULBASAUR posted:

Thanks to some nice goon pointers I now have better pix of my suicidal bird men. Here are the latest 'volunteers' along with some better shots of stuff I painted last year. I initially thought the recon squads would look like garbage because the poses looked hunched over and weird, but as a group they look really really dynamic.

richyp
Dec 2, 2004

Grumpy old man
Cross-posting the results of "Dry January" (and the last two weeks of December)

richyp posted:

Here's the 1480pts of my Grand Host of Nagash from the Realm of Life that started as 4 Glaivewraith Stalkers last month, and spiralled out of control a bit.

And some of the units

Mr Boss McBones

Mrs Deadington (complete with messed up finecast face)

Senior Skullomancer

Old Man Spooks

The Inhuman Torch

Souls without Hosts

Hosts without Souls

More Skeletons (or Skellingtons as I'm informed they should be called)

Banhammers.

Goregoyles

I do still have Arkhan the Black and a Zombie Dragon to paint, but they're waiting for my Airbrush setup to be finished before I go anywhere near them. Those two and the remaining skeletons I have will make it to around 2500pts.

Ghazk
May 11, 2007

I can see EVERYTHING

BULBASAUR posted:

Have a crow X-post

:popeye:

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
So I'm just starting out (I painted a space marine at PAX Unplugged and enjoyed it so I got some stuff to do more painting) -- I need matte medium to make my own wash from my paints? That's why I wasn't at all happy with what I got by just watering down my paint last night? On the plus side it was a bone monster so I'm not at all unhappy with what the watered down grey did to his ivory, because I figure he should look dirty, but the results were definitely not the making-the-details-pop result I got when I put watered down Nurgle Oil on my trial space marine at the Games Workshop booth.

gilljoy
May 3, 2009
First completed model of the new year.

On another note why did I decide to play admech they're hateful to paint

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

gilljoy posted:

On another note why did I decide to play admech they're hateful to paint

Yeah but look how cool it looks

darnon
Nov 8, 2009

CapnAndy posted:

So I'm just starting out (I painted a space marine at PAX Unplugged and enjoyed it so I got some stuff to do more painting) -- I need matte medium to make my own wash from my paints?

Matte medium would make your paint thinner in color consistency, but not overall body (it's basically acrylic paint without color). For a wash you would want flow improver (W&N or Liquitex you can get a bunch of cheap) and water, possibly a brush dab of dish soap to act as a surfactant to aid the flow improver. For most washes though it's just easier to buy a ready-made product like GW's Agrax Earthshade and Nuln Oil or Army Painter's Strong and Dark tone.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

darnon posted:

Matte medium would make your paint thinner in color consistency, but not overall body (it's basically acrylic paint without color). For a wash you would want flow improver (W&N or Liquitex you can get a bunch of cheap) and water, possibly a brush dab of dish soap to act as a surfactant to aid the flow improver. For most washes though it's just easier to buy a ready-made product like GW's Agrax Earthshade and Nuln Oil or Army Painter's Strong and Dark tone.
So what do I do if I want to make some out of stuff I can get at Michael's because any miniatures store is at least a 40 minute drive and I don't feel like paying the markup/waiting for shipping? This guy says 4 parts water, 4 parts matte medium, 1 part paint and no mention of flow improver.

darnon
Nov 8, 2009
You should be able to get Flow Improver at Michael's as well. Pledge Future (or whatever name it's going by this month) can also work as that article mentions and is also useful as a gloss varnish. A regular big box store might have it with their floor care stuff, although I ended up finding mine at the nearest Valu home improvement store albeit a little pricey.

The problem with just using matte medium is it doesn't break up the surface tension of the thinned paint so it will still want to stick on flat surfaces instead of settling mostly in the crevices. Notice in the article you linked the librarian they example ends up gray and dirty looking. They do have a flow aid recipe for making washes further down.

darnon fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Jan 22, 2019

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Yeah, a youtube lady just told me the best recipe is (9 parts water:1 part flow aid) to an equal amount of matte medium to make stock, then add ink for pigment.

Do regular paints work or does it have to be ink?

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
You need an ink, because it does not break down in water, which an acrylic paint will do.

Gareth Gobulcoque
Jan 10, 2008

CapnAndy posted:

So what do I do if I want to make some out of stuff I can get at Michael's because any miniatures store is at least a 40 minute drive and I don't feel like paying the markup/waiting for shipping? This guy says 4 parts water, 4 parts matte medium, 1 part paint and no mention of flow improver.

You definitely want flow aid for it to behave wash like in addition to the matte medium. Paint is also a poor wash material and ink is highly preferable.

I made my own washes for years and kept a pre mixed bottle of about 50% matte medium 50% water with about 10 drops of flow aid in a 1 oz. bottle.

However, I strongly encourage you to reconsider and just pay the mark up. Making your own washes is an art in itself. If you're just starting out you'll save yourself a ton of frustration by buying premade.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.

CapnAndy posted:

Yeah, a youtube lady just told me the best recipe is (9 parts water:1 part flow aid) to an equal amount of matte medium to make stock, then add ink for pigment.

Do regular paints work or does it have to be ink?
Inks and paints generally have different opacity properties, but that recipe would probably work decently well for most purposes. You need the matte medium to keep the paint from "breaking" (changing the pH enough that the pigment is no longer in suspension), but most matte medium has a fair amount of "body" or viscosity to it. Getting really thin (consistency) matte medium can be tricky. It costs the earth (because it's a GW product), but Lahmian Medium is really nice in that it is both very watery in consistency, yet still functions as a medium.

Also be aware that certain colors are more susceptible to breaking than others, so a recipe that works for one color might not necessarily work for others. YMMV.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

However, I strongly encourage you to reconsider and just pay the mark up. Making your own washes is an art in itself. If you're just starting out you'll save yourself a ton of frustration by buying premade.
Yeah, I'm starting to get that. Is there at least a lesser option to Games Workshop's usual usury?

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
I CAN BARELY MAKE IT A WEEK WITHOUT ACTING LIKE AN ASSHOLE
Grimey Drawer

CapnAndy posted:

Yeah, I'm starting to get that. Is there at least a lesser option to Games Workshop's usual usury?

Not that's anywhere near as good

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Yeah, when I was starting out I made a lot of washes out of paint and water and I'd say the results were generally "mediocre". Pre-made washes gave me much better results. After painting for a year or so and gaining a much better feel for paint flow/consistency and the like I had much better success making washes. Following a recipe you saw online only gets you so far, at least in my experience.

CapnAndy posted:

The Army Painter stuff is pretty popular and noticeably cheaper. That said if you have any local stores that sell GW stuff I'd just get that.

Badablack
Apr 17, 2018
Paints are just expensive, it’s not really a GW problem. You’re paying for someone else’s perfected wash recipe, and when you try and cut costs you start getting what you paid for.

That said, there’s some cheaper washes like the Vallejo game color or army painter stuff, but it’s not gonna behave the same as GW washes.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

The Moon Monster posted:

The Army Painter stuff is pretty popular and noticeably cheaper. That said if you have any local stores that sell GW stuff I'd just get that.
I got dick-all for local stores besides Michael's. Amazon has Army Painter and Games Workshop both on Prime, though, so the only question is if GW is worth the extra $7 given that it's got three shades less.

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
I CAN BARELY MAKE IT A WEEK WITHOUT ACTING LIKE AN ASSHOLE
Grimey Drawer

CapnAndy posted:

I got dick-all for local stores besides Michael's. Amazon has Army Painter and Games Workshop both on Prime, though, so the only question is if GW is worth the extra $7 given that it's got three shades less.

The gw washes are better, washes in pots instead of droppers are way easier to use, and you will probably never use the extra three shades.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serenade
Nov 5, 2011

"I should really learn to fucking read"
What's the difference between an acrylic paint and an ink? If acrylic and oil paints are defined by their binders, are inks as well?