Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Yeah, all alps made me do is go "oh poo poo, alps? Let me equip these 12 dogs i have for this one particular enemy"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about spending hundreds of dollars on Mass Effect 2 emoticons and Avatars.

Oven Wrangler

Gantolandon posted:

This meant that proper fights with alps were long and tedious, especially in the forest. You mostly lost soldiers by getting bored and trying to speed things up, which lead to an isolated group being hit with sleep and slowly scared to death. This was the exact opposite of fun and I'm glad they decided to rework the monster.

To be fair, every fight is 10 times worse when it happens in a forest. Often less for the difficulty and more for the tedium it adds.

CrowdControl
Aug 2, 2011

Uhh Tommy, I think I'm just gonna sleep at my house tonight...
Yea, I really wish forests had some open tracts, clearings, or maybe a dry creek for terrain variety. Right now I do everything I can to avoid any major forest fight.

TheBeardyCleaver
Jan 9, 2019

Gantolandon posted:

The problem with alps was that if you figured out how their ability works, they stopped being a challenge at all. Their sleep attack was an area attack with the radius of 1 and also they couldn't use it on an empty hex. Incidentally, you usually had only enough APs to move one tile and wake someone up. This meant that to be safe, you have to scatter your bros to always leave an empty tile between them - an alp could then only make one of them fall asleep and there was always someone around to wake them up.

This meant that proper fights with alps were long and tedious, especially in the forest. You mostly lost soldiers by getting bored and trying to speed things up, which lead to an isolated group being hit with sleep and slowly scared to death. This was the exact opposite of fun and I'm glad they decided to rework the monster.

Yea. I get it. I just never fought them enough to get annoyed with it I suppose. Haven't had a chance to fight any of the new ones yet. Loads of amusing complaints on steam though. Still seems like dogs and high hp is the way to go.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
I know his MA is a little low but I can't not try this guy out:

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

TheBeardyCleaver posted:

Yea. I get it. I just never fought them enough to get annoyed with it I suppose. Haven't had a chance to fight any of the new ones yet. Loads of amusing complaints on steam though. Still seems like dogs and high hp is the way to go.

The only time I've actually fought alps was when they ambushed me in a forest at night and it took something like an hour of real time out of my life to tediously track down all seven of them with such low visibility moving one tile per turn. Once I got my guys into the correct formation to not die there wasn't any risk of taking serious damage, but it was just so slow and boring that I avoided them ever since because why go through all that again?

It's a good change. Combat in this game tends to be pretty quick and fun, so for them to introduce an enemy that's slow and boring instead was a bad change and I'm glad they're making it more like the rest of the fights in the game.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

Dreylad posted:

He is actually pretty good.

TheBeardyCleaver
Jan 9, 2019

Dreylad posted:

Question now is, what build will he have :v:

Probably greatsword for +% to hit?

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Uh, so, I had a routine fight with orcs, then explorer crashed (I have some electricity spike issues in my apartment, which means the occasional reboot), and when my machine rebooted, Battle Brothers was deleted :confused:

I mean, I can deal, but now my autosaves are gone and I'm 10 days behind :eng99:

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

TheBeardyCleaver posted:

Question now is, what build will he have :v:

Probably greatsword for +% to hit?

but his name is John Maul

Yeah that's what I thought I'd do. I'll break out the maul for orcs when needed.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
Thanks for the ambush by 6 goblins on day 9, game. I barely managed to take them out without losing anyone.

redpleb
Feb 1, 2013
do the names in this game make anyone else giggle?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

redpleb posted:

do the names in this game make anyone else giggle?

I think I've mentioned it in here before, but I saw a recruit with the nickname "The Mountain" so I eagerly hired him only to discover that his only traits were Fat and Insecure.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Well I just met my first Unholds. That was fun.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
http://www.adammil.net/blog/v133_Battle_Brothers_mod_kit.html#modkit

SickZip
Jul 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Another minor tweak patch:

Changelog for 1.2.0.25
Added a +5% chance to hit for you, and a -5% chance penalty to hit for the enemy, on 'Beginner' difficulty. Other difficulty levels remain without any such bonus or penalty.
Added additional line to combat log to clarify things in case a ranged attack goes astray and hits another tile than intended, both for you and the enemy.
Changed efficiency vs. armor for all bows to be 10% lower.
Changed maximum amount of Alps in a single encounter to 10, down from 12.
Changed size of Alp parties roaming the land outside of contracts to be slightly smaller on average.

Extremely good. This game needs some good mods

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

:supaburn: :derp:

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist

SickZip posted:

:raise:
Why not buff crossbows and throwing weapons instead?

Oh gently caress yeah.

Osci
Oct 11, 2016
Unpacking and reading the scripts is actually really interesting.

Some small things:

Wardog armor is 55, heavy doggy armor is 85.
There's no title connected to iron lungs, so no use checking that if you're trait hunting.
Alps actually have 999 initiative. Ghosts have 999 range defence
Schrat attacks are unsuprisingly very hard hitting (70-100 dmg, 85% armor, 50% pen)
Bandit leaders (and possibly some other units) have a special perk called sundering strikes. This increases armor damage by a flat 20%. (So 80 to 100, 150 to170 etc)
Hedge knights take it a step further and have a perk that increases ALL damage by 20% (multiplicative).
Knights also have a 3% chance of having a named weapon, just to put a number on it. (split evenly between 1h flails/swords/axes and 2h axes/hammers)

Digging into this might just be my evening. Makes for some fun reading while sick.

Osci fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Jan 21, 2019

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist
I'll see if I can find and extract the actual stat ranges for different backgrounds later so I can finally upgrade my Steam guide.

This is how I wanted to do it initially anyway but my knowledge of C is rudimentary at best so I couldn't figure it out then.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
I just want a mod that increases uniques.

Also, I've always been curious how many AP various enemies have.

Osci
Oct 11, 2016

vyelkin posted:

I just want a mod that increases uniques.

Also, I've always been curious how many AP various enemies have.

Most enemies have 9 just like the brothers.

Wolves have 12, with the attack taking 4 ap (so they can move twice and attack twice)
Spiders have 11 and both their skills take 6 ap. They also have pathfinder so they can move around quite quickly
Lindworms and Schrats have 7, both have pathfinder.
Alps have 6.
Undead vary. Most zombies have 6, but fallen heroes and necromancers have 7. Savants have 8.

I'm actually going to check how uniques are generated. Those that are carried around by enemies are a simple % check when the unit is generated, but I have no clue how stuff from lairs or shops are generated yet.

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist
So far the mod I'll definitely make is turning longaxes and polehammers into dual type weapons similar to the goedendag.
Also change throwing spears to use ammunition instead of being single use only.

Uniques should probably just be cheaper to buy from stores, not necessarily more common.

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
Thanks to Adam the 18 brothers mod is alive again.

misguided rage
Jun 15, 2010

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:
Just fought the new alps for the first time and I'm pretty sure they're more tedious than the old version.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves
Oh well time to start mining ranged skill statistics

TheBeardyCleaver
Jan 9, 2019

SickZip posted:

Well, I may have reason to bring more crossbows and throwing weapons now.

Wizard Styles posted:

:raise:
Why not buff crossbows and throwing weapons instead?

Not sure Man With Crossbow should be given more incentive :ghost:

ED IT: Yea no kidding about the new alps. Got jumped by a gang in the night, and got well ganked by them shades. Only way to seemingly beat them would be to manage to take out their shadows on the first spawn, but that requires careful dagger and spear prep i think.

TheBeardyCleaver fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Jan 22, 2019

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Does shieldwall take effect if allied house troops are shieldwalling?

jerman999
Apr 26, 2006

This is a lex imperfecta
BB devs seem pretty open to modding: https://www.reddit.com/r/BattleBrothers/comments/ainxfh/i_asked_the_battle_brothers_devs_what_they/

misguided rage
Jun 15, 2010

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

TheBeardyCleaver posted:

ED IT: Yea no kidding about the new alps. Got jumped by a gang in the night, and got well ganked by them shades. Only way to seemingly beat them would be to manage to take out their shadows on the first spawn, but that requires careful dagger and spear prep i think.
It's basically that they're the same as the old ones in that they lock your guys down and deal damage after a turn but also now 'waking up' your dudes can miss.

Maybe they're less of an absolute chore in the late game now (although I kinda doubt it) but early on they are sooooo much worse. Best way to beat them is probably just to group everyone up and have one guy with footwork chase them down.

misguided rage fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Jan 22, 2019

TheBlandName
Feb 5, 2012
Hahaha. I felt I had to share this wonderful bug with someone. I don't have video of it, but luckily the combat log shows the bug off.

If you follow the log, you'll see that just after the southern direwolf finishes mauling my joke of a minstrel, an unusual exchange happens between the northern wolf and Ewald.

The wolf goes after Ewald, then Ewald attacks the wolf, OFF-TURN, using up 4 of the wolf's own AP. After bopping the wolf on the nose the wolf uses its last 4 AP to miss again.

Ah Ewald. Truly you are the best of my utter shitters who exist only to use shieldwall and then die when your luck runs out.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Are you sure it wasn't just a case of the wolf trying to move out of your bro's zone of control and giving you a free attack? The AI can be dumb like that sometimes.

TheBlandName
Feb 5, 2012

Wafflecopper posted:

Are you sure it wasn't just a case of the wolf trying to move out of your bro's zone of control and giving you a free attack? The AI can be dumb like that sometimes.

Ah, that makes more sense.

TheBeardyCleaver
Jan 9, 2019

misguided rage posted:

It's basically that they're the same as the old ones in that they lock your guys down and deal damage after a turn but also now 'waking up' your dudes can miss.

Maybe they're less of an absolute chore in the late game now (although I kinda doubt it) but early on they are sooooo much worse. Best way to beat them is probably just to group everyone up and have one guy with footwork chase them down.

Hmm. Not sure if the footwork guy wouldn't eventually get mobbed by shades, being the higher threat, but worth a shot. I'll likely just use vampire tactics for them. Tight formation melee bros, pikes on the inside and move slowly across the map cornering the bastards one by one. Problem is they usually jump you in the night, so I'll have to put up a new formation just for night traveling. Ah, well. I guess faffing about in the dark should carry more risk.

GodspeedSphere
Apr 25, 2008

TheBeardyCleaver posted:

Hmm. Not sure if the footwork guy wouldn't eventually get mobbed by shades, being the higher threat, but worth a shot. I'll likely just use vampire tactics for them. Tight formation melee bros, pikes on the inside and move slowly across the map cornering the bastards one by one. Problem is they usually jump you in the night, so I'll have to put up a new formation just for night traveling. Ah, well. I guess faffing about in the dark should carry more risk.

Foot work guy will ABSOLUTELY get mobbed the moment he's out of the groups general attack range. The answer to the new Alps is to move as one larger, more condensed roving blob of daggers and spears. If you outnumber the alps sufficiently (I'd say 2:1 to be safe) you can break off in independent groups.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Do you guys think it's worth going 100% crossbows for your ranged attackers now that bows have been nerfed? Or is it still worth going 50/50?

CrowdControl
Aug 2, 2011

Uhh Tommy, I think I'm just gonna sleep at my house tonight...
Maybe not 100% but polearm mastery makes crossbows a top ranged option just for the extra damage of being able to fire and melee in the same turn.

stopgap1
Jul 27, 2013
why has no one mentioned you can fire and bow in the same turn as well? one bow shot plus a polearm mastery hit is still 9!

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

The Lord Bude posted:

Do you guys think it's worth going 100% crossbows for your ranged attackers now that bows have been nerfed? Or is it still worth going 50/50?

I haven't played the new patch yet but I'd imagine all bows is still fine. When I use archers they're going after lightly-armored stuff like enemy archers or orc berserkers. And they'll still be just as good at finishing off weakened targets or applying overwhelm. Crossbows are powerful but the difference in range and rate of fire means they just don't really fill the same role.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

There’s nothing like having your 5 man band take out 4 orc young on day 7; then being king poo poo because one of your front liners has an orc cleaver. He turns bandit thugs into mulch.

My ambition is to turn him into a cleaver plate duelist eventually.