Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ayn Randi
Mar 12, 2009

Grimey Drawer
i wouldn't even put unceasing top on that list, it's really hard to actually make unceasing top work consistently enough in my experience (in terms of "run winning relic", it's fine and good to just give you some extra card draw but if you're trying to set up the infinite turn deck don't bother). kunai and shuriken obviously are first and foremost, either one of those can win a run with just about anything but they also play hard into shivs and 0 costs if you happen to be going that way, as does fan. tough bandages and to a lesser extent tingsha are ridiculous build arounds. benefits nearly as much as defect from mummified hand/bird faced urn. specimen/snecko skull break poison builds wide open. pen nib into finisher/skewer. basically silent has so many ways to manipulate its card draw/energy usage and more opportunity to pick useful cards that play hard into whatever relics you get to allow scaling, where ironclad relies much more on scaling off their cards written effects.

e: letter opener too, orange pellets, silent gets more benefit out of a lot of relics because it's easier to manipulate your deck to do the things a given relic rewards you for doing

Ayn Randi fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Jan 16, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flea Bargain
Dec 9, 2008

'Twas brillig

Haha, today's daily has a big gently caress you where to get Curses! you need to keep the Normality you get late in the run, but when you kill Time Eater it gives you another Normality so you miss Highlander. Todays daily can suck a big one, I punted a couple of times but still it was quite hard to score high.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

Flea Bargain posted:

Haha, today's daily has a big gently caress you where to get Curses! you need to keep the Normality you get late in the run, but when you kill Time Eater it gives you another Normality so you miss Highlander. Todays daily can suck a big one, I punted a couple of times but still it was quite hard to score high.

I died on the Time Eater by 1 turn because Normality is a bitch

Lozareth
Jun 11, 2006

I never got a Normality and killed him on turn 3. :smug: He hit me for 45 on turn 2 though when I only drew 11 block so there went 100 points. :(

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves
Wow I have a lot to learn. About this game if you were 3 turning it. I was basically doing 60 every turn with perfect_strike.dek

Lozareth
Jun 11, 2006

I just had a Limit Break on turn 1 when I already had 8+ strength from curses + Vajra + whatever and was able to Whirlwind for 200+ damage on turn 3.

Gorgar
Dec 2, 2012

90s Shoes posted:

have fun and do stuff I enjoy like dual-color sealed draft runs

This has ruined me. I haven't even encountered the heart yet, because this is so much fun.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

so the THWACK Now You're In A Colosseum fight in act 2 is now a goblin nob and a slavemaster, rather than two goblin nobs.

is this a recent patch change, or has it just languished undiscovered because everyone ignores the hard fight and curses at the lack of rewards from the easy one?

Ayn Randi
Mar 12, 2009

Grimey Drawer
its new, it was in the patch notes from yesterday

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

so the THWACK Now You're In A Colosseum fight in act 2 is now a goblin nob and a slavemaster, rather than two goblin nobs.

Is it the slaver that's not in the first half of the fight (small hits + wounds)? Very nice if so, for symmetry.

e: apparently this is so, but it's the fake Gremlin Nob that doesn't vulnerable you. Should be a real one and put on the right to not mislead.

rchandra fucked around with this message at 13:39 on Jan 19, 2019

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

is this a recent patch change, or has it just languished undiscovered because everyone ignores the hard fight and curses at the lack of rewards from the easy one?

Oh wow, I might actually have a better shot than 1:20 to beat this encounter

Because I never turn it down.

Einwand
Nov 3, 2012

You idiot.
In this world it's pet or BE pet.

Yeah it's a good change, effectively fighting an act 2 elite and an act 1 elite for 2 relics 100 gold and a card is really reasonable instead of fighting 2/3rds of an act 2 elite and 2 act 1 elites at the same time. I always hated picking cowardice just due to the fact that the other option was literal suicide for almost every build that wasn't glass cannon ironclad.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

i discovered it by picking the Keep Fighting choice by accident

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.
honestly i didnt think that fight needed to be easier. it should really be something that only makes sense as a choice a small amount of the time because it's a really good reward

Hackan Slash
May 31, 2007
Hit it until it's not a problem anymore
The problem with it was it was a win-more fight. The only decks I would attempt it with didn't need the rewards

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Joinrbs made a good point against it being win-more, now that you mention it. Two Nobs are a very specific type of fight that certain decks win, but those decks aren't necessarily gonna beat A3/A4 or even something like The Champ. I think most people were skipping it exactly because of that, now that I think about it - I had a handful of runs where I looked at my deck and felt like it could deal with A2 easily, but couldn't really afford the damage from Double Nob if they wanted to be stronger.

Einwand
Nov 3, 2012

You idiot.
In this world it's pet or BE pet.

I think they made it too much easier but I'm not sure how they could tune it to be fair but also harder without tilting it back towards nearly guaranteed suicide.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

special mediocre relic reward plus a random one, perhaps

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Better Living Through Birding And Pessimism
Sometimes the winning combination is so simple. Flex+Limit Break+Panacea+Heavy Blade got me through ascension 8 on Ironclad so easily. Even when I got stuck with the potion relic gambling on a boss relic to start. But that really is stealthy-good, at least so far. Since I can use the potions so liberally.

I love Defect and Ironclad, but Silent I'm not too big on. I just find it too slow unless I get a great catalyst setup early on.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves
I am having issues with even Ascension 1 Iconclad.

It maybe because I keep trying to force a Corruption deck though. I had an amazing one that died on the stupid Bird Boss which had the Branch and Corruption AND the whenever you exhaust a card, draw a card. And 2 Exhumes to loop for infinite free cards.

Burginator
Sep 10, 2007

Two ALL BEEF patties,
Special Sauce?
Let Us Cheese.

Kawalimus posted:

Sometimes the winning combination is so simple. Flex+Limit Break+Panacea+Heavy Blade got me through ascension 8 on Ironclad so easily. Even when I got stuck with the potion relic gambling on a boss relic to start. But that really is stealthy-good, at least so far. Since I can use the potions so liberally.

I love Defect and Ironclad, but Silent I'm not too big on. I just find it too slow unless I get a great catalyst setup early on.

I feel like Silent just leans a little heavier on finding useful relics so it feels like a bit of a luck check more than anything especially on higher ascensions. I feel like I can make it to act 3 almost every game with the other two, but a lot of my silent games fall apart in act 2 because I just don't have any stand out relics.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Gridlocked posted:

I am having issues with even Ascension 1 Iconclad.

It maybe because I keep trying to force a Corruption deck though. I had an amazing one that died on the stupid Bird Boss which had the Branch and Corruption AND the whenever you exhaust a card, draw a card. And 2 Exhumes to loop for infinite free cards.

You can't loop Exhumes. Or at least you couldn't last time I tried.

zxqv8
Oct 21, 2010

Did somebody call about a Ravager problem?
Correct. You cannot exhume exhumes. If you have a nilry's it can create exhumes though.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

"Exhume can't target another Exhume" is one of those weird rules they don't tell you in the card text. Another obscure one: Ritual Dagger's value can only be increased once per fight, even if you Exhume it and can get multiple kills with it in one battle.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

Lottery of Babylon posted:

"Exhume can't target another Exhume" is one of those weird rules they don't tell you in the card text. Another obscure one: Ritual Dagger's value can only be increased once per fight, even if you Exhume it and can get multiple kills with it in one battle.
Is this true for feed also? I presume it's true for genetic algorithm also since that's like, near-analogue to ritual dagger.

I got a funny loop on the enemy that gives you a dazed every time you play a non-attack - I had the medical kit, so I could play a daze and get another daze, and dark embrace so I'd draw a card whenever anything exhausted, and charon's ashes so I'd do 3 damage any time I exhausted a card. I managed to have only dazes remaining in my draw pile and thus could play them until the monster died.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS fucked around with this message at 09:56 on Jan 21, 2019

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

Is this true for feed also? I presume it's true for genetic algorithm also since that's like, near-analogue to ritual dagger.

I got a funny loop on the enemy that gives you a dazed every time you play a non-attack - I had the medical kit, so I could play a daze and get another daze, and dark embrace so I'd draw a card whenever anything exhausted, and charon's ashes so I'd do 3 damage any time I exhausted a card. I managed to have only dazes remaining in my draw pile and thus could play them until the monster died.

genetic algorithm can at least be echo formed for double value

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Verviticus posted:

genetic algorithm can at least be echo formed for double value

That works?

Dammit game.

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

Is this true for feed also?

You can Feed multiple times in a battle with the same card, just not on minions.

Hackan Slash
May 31, 2007
Hit it until it's not a problem anymore
Another weird edge case is that feed only gives you the hp bonus in the triple regenerating slimes fight if it's the last one alive.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Live, laugh, kupo!

Hackan Slash posted:

Another weird edge case is that feed only gives you the hp bonus in the triple regenerating slimes fight if it's the last one alive.

Because they don't actually die until then.

AttackBacon
Nov 19, 2010
DEEP FRIED DIARRHEA
I could have sworn they changed that a while ago but I may just be misremembering them changing it so you get anything at all (rather that Feed et. all simply not working on them period).

Bumper Stickup
Jan 7, 2012

Mmm... Offshore Toast!

Grimey Drawer
Well got my first win with The Servant. Picked up Pandora's box as my first boss chest reward and was presented with what you see here minus a couple cards I snipped out. Regularly bursting enemies for upwards of 200 damage is a hell of a thing.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

The Servant is pretty busted. So many of her cards are phenomenally powerful compared to base game stuff ('1 Blight to all enemies each turn' is functionally the same as Demon Form, but a third of the cost) and even a scrappy Backlash deck still runs away with the game just because it stacks so many benefits together. It's fun and cool to play but I do feel kind of dirty winning a run with her. The other Touhous seem somewhat better balanced.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
it seems really easy to slam a few decent cards together and win as the slime, but its very fun to.

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

Full release Wednesday! Buy now for cheap $ price!

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Better Living Through Birding And Pessimism
Had another fun Ironclad win this time on Ascension 10: This time got Philosopher's Stone at the start then took the energy relic where you can't rest at the campfires. Had singing bowl though, and then got the vampire event and chomped my way to victory. Also had some big Reaper heals.

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

You have to say I can open my presents
I nearly beat Ascension 19 as Silent despite getting Broken Crown as my starting relic. What a fully miserable run.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Hackan Slash posted:

But you do get a buff to Ritual Dagger. It's dumb.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
Slay the Spire is officially 1.0!

https://steamcommunity.com/games/646570/announcements/detail/1714084208003916507

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
You know, I'm loving this game but is it just me or is it just way too random sometimes? I feel like it frequently just completely screws you over in ways that you can't do anything about.

It also feels like the battles are way too short to play with all the toys. Some stuff needs a lot of set up to get going well but you don't have the time as you'll eat a ton of damage if you try to get it rolling.