Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alpine Mustache
Jul 11, 2000

If I find and activate a portal (after using a monolith), but forget to leave a beacon before flying away, how do I find it again if I'm too far away for the icon to show up on my compass thing or in my scanner scope view?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Alpine Mustache posted:

If I find and activate a portal (after using a monolith), but forget to leave a beacon before flying away, how do I find it again if I'm too far away for the icon to show up on my compass thing or in my scanner scope view?

You'd have to give another relic to a monolith on that planet to have it direct you to the portal. If you lost track of it's location, trying to find it again by flying around is nearly impossible since there is only one per planet.

You can quickly find a monolith by giving a navigation data to a portable scanner and telling it to look for artifacts. If you have explorer frigates, you can also land on them to scan the system for monoliths (but they may find them on a different planet than you want).

Alpine Mustache
Jul 11, 2000

Thundarr posted:

You'd have to give another relic to a monolith on that planet to have it direct you to the portal. If you lost track of it's location, trying to find it again by flying around is nearly impossible since there is only one per planet.

You can quickly find a monolith by giving a navigation data to a portable scanner and telling it to look for artifacts. If you have explorer frigates, you can also land on them to scan the system for monoliths (but they may find them on a different planet than you want).

I already tried the nav data thing, but it just found the same monolith that it found the first time and a few ancient ruins. This is on a moon, instead of a planet so it might only have one monolith.

Can the signal booster coordinates be translated to portal runes? Maybe I can portal here from somewhere else and drop a beacon? Then go back through the portal and teleport back?

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

If you got the portal's address when you activated it you could travel to it from another portal. I'm not sure if you can get a portal address out of a signal booster's coords though.

A moon should still have multiple monoliths unless it's exotic or dead.

Alpine Mustache
Jul 11, 2000

Thundarr posted:

If you got the portal's address when you activated it you could travel to it from another portal. I'm not sure if you can get a portal address out of a signal booster's coords though.

A moon should still have multiple monoliths unless it's exotic or dead.

I figured it out.

I found a signal booster coordinate to portal code converter (https://www.xainesworld.com/galacticcalc/ )
Under the "galactic coords" tab put in the last four quartets of hex numbers, and in my case the planet index was the fourth digit of the first quartet (which looks like it is NOT HEX) from the signal booster.

Went through a portal on a different planet, landed in my desired location, dropped a beacon, returned through the portal, then when I got back to my moon the normal way, the booster was still there.
It did give me a warning about not being an exact match but it would put me to the closest destination. Probably because my signal booster was on the complete other side of the moon.

TipsyMcStagger
Apr 13, 2013

This isn't where
I parked my car...
60 hours in, built my base fully I believe with all the exo crafts and has a hydroponics farm going for cash.

Wondering if there's much more than just warping and landing on planets now..

Couple questions:
-can you seriously not build a teleport on your freighter?
-what's the point of freighters really if you can't teleport to them? Ship storage?
-what are the Atlas seeds for?
-daily grind stuff with polo and Nada.. what do you get from these guys other then Quicksilver and nanites?

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC
Freighters are mobile bases. People usually build all the farm/manufacture stuff on them instead of on planetary bases because it means you always have access to those things. Also you can have a fleet of frigates that basically give free money and loot from expeditions and you can only manage them from your freighter.

And yeah, there isn't much else to do but warping around and landing on planets. That is even the gist of the main story missions.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!
The bare basics of the gameplay loop is indeed just warping and landing on planets. It's a game where you make your own goal and then follow it.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

It's kind of crazy that less than a year ago there was a tiny fraction of the content there is now. As bare bones as the gameplay is today, the game was really nearly unplayable not too long ago. Unfortunately it seems like the flurry of updates might be over, but I am holding out for one big QoL update to fix most of the dumb poo poo still left in the game. Or at least some kind of modding tools so the community can definitively fix the remainder of the issues themselves.

Dalaram
Jun 6, 2002

Marshall/Kirtaner 8/24 nevar forget! (omg pedo)

ToastyPotato posted:

It's kind of crazy that less than a year ago there was a tiny fraction of the content there is now. As bare bones as the gameplay is today, the game was really nearly unplayable not too long ago. Unfortunately it seems like the flurry of updates might be over, but I am holding out for one big QoL update to fix most of the dumb poo poo still left in the game. Or at least some kind of modding tools so the community can definitively fix the remainder of the issues themselves.

Yeah. I skipped the whole release debacle, and have only been playing since NEXT.

I tried mucking around with the code to implement some QoL fixes, but there is no penetration into the game mechanics, just tables and graphics.

I’d love to see:
1. Ability to sell/scrap ships. Because come the gently caress on, why do I have to have 6, and can only trade up/down? I want to be a spacecraft restorer
2. Ability to unmount ship upgrades/tech. Same vein - if I want to recover my 4K worth
3. Some more enemies. Why can’t any of these aliens pick up arms and shoot me?
4. Some kind of matter manipulator upgrade, so I don’t have to mine out a patch of chromatic metal fodder for the billionth time

I’m glad I waited, and can see how people would have been upset if there was less than exists now, but for something this freeform, I feel like a nodding API is kind of a must these days.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Yeah selling ships really needs to be a thing. But also more than 6 ships would be nice. Not sure why there is a limit when I am almost positive that stuff is client side. Same with storage being so limited. You can use various cheats to mess with your storage/inventory/ships IIRC, which means it is all client side, which means there is no reason to limit that stuff since it isn't taking server space some where. Let me horde poo poo dammit. :argh:

Other than that, faster sorting in the UI would be nice, like drag and drop swapping. And proper sorting of the teleporter list (and having that actually update the names properly..) Oh and having an actually functioning mission log... And being able to dismiss frigates...

TipsyMcStagger
Apr 13, 2013

This isn't where
I parked my car...
my major beefs are:
-Ship management is designed by idiots
-Log(Quest log?) doesn't actually give any information.. thing is terribly bad at telling me what i have and where to go.
-all bases are exactly the same... scan a secured signal and voila, exact same manufacturing plant
-ocean worlds are 50 feet deep
-not able to teleport to freighter
-Horrendously bad quest finishes/switches... i have to open log, move to quest, then wait for it to clear to talk to npc again. painfully slow.

Anyways, I think i'm done with the game now.. worked out to 50 cents an hour for entertainment which is a bargain so worth the buy..

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
There are planets where the ocean goes down as far as other planet mountains go up. Like the procgen just takes a normal planet and covers it with water up to the highest peak. I think they're called "Submerged" planets?

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Ate there any planets that are covered in like knee deep water like that one planet in Interstellar? Or planets that have huge bioluminescent plantlife? Game needs more weird poo poo.

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

You have to say I can open my presents
What I'd like from the game is some kind of plot. Have the three main factions start a war against eachother and have players pick sides and join in (or try to profiteer off being neutral).

I realize this goes completely against the game being an open world exploration game, but what I'd like would be the ability to drop in and out of the "plot/war" by going to contested star systems vs roaming into the great nothing.

All my ship upgrades end up not really doing much because space battles aren't meaningful currently.

darkwasthenight
Jan 7, 2011

GENE TRAITOR

chaosapiant posted:

Ate there any planets that are covered in like knee deep water like that one planet in Interstellar? Or planets that have huge bioluminescent plantlife? Game needs more weird poo poo.

I dropped into one full of giant luminescent mushrooms that went up further than I could jetpack. There were these weird looping lights that were classed as biological/animal. It looked amazing but I quickly realised that was nearly all that was on the planet and there were only three types of the mushroom copy pasted because the big ones classed as terrain rather than flora. Mile wide and six inch deep unfortunately.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
I remember coming across some of fast moving rock formation that made trails along the ground that scanned as animal.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

There's some cool weird planets but the problem is they are cool weird planets and nothing else. Walk 200 units from a landing spot anywhere on them and you've seen everything they have except for maybe a boundary failure. It'd be nice to see weirdness occur a little more 'naturally' where there's like a tropical planet with heatstorms but for some reason there's also glowing anomalous cubes embedded in the ground, or a sunken planet has cabling emerging from the depths. Instead once you've seen a cabled planet you've seen every cabled planet.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

The_Doctor posted:

I remember coming across some of fast moving rock formation that made trails along the ground that scanned as animal.

That is one of the weird new creatures they added in one of the last couple of updates. Unfortunately there isn't much else to it, and you will start seeing them in lot's of places.

Ghostlight posted:

There's some cool weird planets but the problem is they are cool weird planets and nothing else. Walk 200 units from a landing spot anywhere on them and you've seen everything they have except for maybe a boundary failure. It'd be nice to see weirdness occur a little more 'naturally' where there's like a tropical planet with heatstorms but for some reason there's also glowing anomalous cubes embedded in the ground, or a sunken planet has cabling emerging from the depths. Instead once you've seen a cabled planet you've seen every cabled planet.

Agreed. I have to wonder how much of this kind of thing is limitations due to console memory issues? I would love for an unrestrained attempt at NMS.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
I played NMS on my PS4 slim, and it ran fine and quietly, but recently I've been playing on my boyfriend's original PS4, and goddang, it sounds like a jet engine when the fan kicks in.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

I think the exploration in the game would benefit greatly from having multiple biomes per planet and more realistic terrain generation (so you'd have more reason to spend time on any given planet, and other planets you visit would feel less samey). This would of course make The Algorithm way more complex, and probably system requirements too since you'd need the resource loaded to transition between biomes seamlessly.

Some more concrete goals for people who want them would also be good. Wandering in search of cool screenshots and base Legos are both cool but you can only really spend so long on that, and the game's scope is too vast by orders of magnitude to support such a shallow sandbox.

Maybe by the time real humans are colonizing space we'll have a space game that combines the better aspects of NMS, E:D, and EVE without being a giant scam to extract money from early backers.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

It'd be nice if other sentient life had loving working legs and you could find them exploring, in danger, etc on planet surfaces and not just sat down in the same spots in every structure.

Dalaram
Jun 6, 2002

Marshall/Kirtaner 8/24 nevar forget! (omg pedo)

s.i.r.e. posted:

It'd be nice if other sentient life had loving working legs and you could find them exploring, in danger, etc on planet surfaces and not just sat down in the same spots in every structure.

:yeah:

Even the Vy’Keen are pretty content with just sitting around, jamming daggers full of dope into their arms. Not what I’d expect from some kinda war-dog race.

Also echoing the storage sentiment. Why can I only stuff a couple hundred units of stuff in a crate, when my backpack, literally a twentieth of the size, can hold 10 times more?

(And if the answer is that the crates need all the space for teleporters between crates, then I’d like to know why I can’t just ‘port to my frigate, when my ion batteries sure can)

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

I’m still stuck trying to find a vykeen dagger. Since I was given the quest to find 2 (by my weapons dude? Exocraft guy?) forever ago, I’ve not had any turn up ever.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

I think expeditions can return with them. Other than that, it is pure luck whether NPCs decide to give you one for whatever reason.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Bartering units with NPCs at space stations will get you random faction items, including Vykeen Daggers, but you'll have to empty a space station or two to fulfill the Weaponeer quest. It's worth doing every time you can though because the items are more useful than 1,000 units.

Beethovens Fist Symphony
Oct 21, 2008
Oven Wrangler
In my experience every ship landing at a trading post will have multiple of the two faction items to sell for whatever species controls the system too, that's been my go-to.

Alpine Mustache
Jul 11, 2000

After working on a farm base for a while, I just saw on reddit that if a base is too close to a portal, other players won't be able to see it. The actual limit for this isn't clear though
My base computer in this case is just over 500 units from the portal, and the majority of the base is farther than that.

Could someone check this portal address and let me know if they can see it or not?

If you head south after portaling you should start to see lights and glitches in the trees before the rest of the base shows up.
I'm not done planting everything, but you should be able to make a few circuit boards/living glass/explosives while you're there.

Edit: Euclid

Alpine Mustache fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Jan 25, 2019

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

darkwasthenight posted:

I dropped into one full of giant luminescent mushrooms that went up further than I could jetpack. There were these weird looping lights that were classed as biological/animal. It looked amazing but I quickly realised that was nearly all that was on the planet and there were only three types of the mushroom copy pasted because the big ones classed as terrain rather than flora. Mile wide and six inch deep unfortunately.

Yeah, this is why, no joke, I tend to get more bang for my buck out of Starbound. It at least has multiple biomes and sub-biomes per planet.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
Sony sent me an email that said I played this game for almost 200 hours in 2018. Christ.

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum

I've got my monies worth for sure as the core game loop of flying around looking at a proc gen'd planets appeals hard.

But it really feels like a lot of the "addon" features were left half baked and feature patches bring dozens of new bugs that it becomes exhausting. There is also a heavy focus on crafting with a whole bunch of intermediaries and variants, which on paper is a feature I'm into, but the UI and QOL stuff hasn't scaled to make it or inventory management fun.

So it's sort of become a game that is enjoyable like 25-50% of the time and the rest is (not really optional) tedious busy work.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

The_Doctor posted:

I played NMS on my PS4 slim, and it ran fine and quietly, but recently I've been playing on my boyfriend's original PS4, and goddang, it sounds like a jet engine when the fan kicks in.

PS4 Slims are magic that way. RDR2 doesn't even make my slim's fan speed up. It's so weird.

toiletbrush
May 17, 2010

Speedball posted:

Yeah, this is why, no joke, I tend to get more bang for my buck out of Starbound. It at least has multiple biomes and sub-biomes per planet.
Biomes would be cool but what would be nicer was if they generated flora procedurally using any one of the bajillions of techniques that have existed since the 60s instead of using about 15 prefabs

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

I think if HG had delivered on the scale of the planets, biomes would make a lot of sense.
As it is, it might make the game feel cramped or get as illogical as a minecraft biome transition. You can do anything you need to do on a planet within a couple square kilometres anyway, so you can just use some mental gymnastics to fill in the suspension of disbelief. Flora is weirdly absent from the randomness though, I think every hostile plant is one of a handful of types which is a shame.

I just picked this up this week after running into some recent screenshots that showed a lot of progress (i.e. bases and things to do) and I've found it a very enjoyable time sink.

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

So I kinda need more inventory slots for my exosuit but I'm not really understanding the process of finding drop pods. From what I've read, you need to seek out distress signals (like you do when looking for a crashed ship) and just hope for the best. Apparently you can also get drop pod coordinates from NPCs, but I've yet to find any. Am I missing something...it seems like something that's going to cost me a bunch of chromatic metal and ionised cobalt shouldn't be such a hit-and-miss prospect.

Also, what's the best way to obtain phosphorus? None of the planets in the four systems that I've visited have had it as a major element.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
I believe it usually shows up in deposits on extremely hot planets.

Don't bother with drop pods imo. Focus on making tons of money and just buy an inventory upgrade from the exosuit upgrade guy at each new station you visit.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

You can usually buy a drop pod coordinate from the inhabited shelters, but there's a relatively small patch in progression where they're worth it - they cost ~350,000 and then the ingredients, but from memory you can max your out main inventory for much cheaper by just bouncing around stations and buying their expansion slots. They start being more efficient around when you're on the high-capacity and tech slots, but even then you quickly start making enough money that hunting down drop pods isn't worth saving a few million units.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Yeah, drop pods are useless and a waste of time. Find the location, get all the way over there, find you don’t have everything you need to fix it, and then it’ll hang around, cluttering up your UI for as long as you’re in that system.

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

Ok thanks; I've been to some space stations and I don't recall the vendors selling more inventory slots but I'll check again. Also do you ever get a ground vehicle?

e: one more thing, how much can you push your luck with sentinels? If they catch you mining something can you finish what you're doing or will they start shooting? Can you manipulate terrain around them if you're not drawing minerals? (i.e. just digging dirt)

Seventh Arrow fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Feb 11, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Seventh Arrow posted:

Ok thanks; I've been to some space stations and I don't recall the vendors selling more inventory slots but I'll check again. Also do you ever get a ground vehicle?

e: one more thing, how much can you push your luck with sentinels? If they catch you mining something can you finish what you're doing or will they start shooting? Can you manipulate terrain around them if you're not drawing minerals? (i.e. just digging dirt)

The slot is the blue hologram behind the leftmost vendor. you get a ground vehicle by working through the base missions and getting the vehicle expert. you can see the indicator of the sentinel seeing and trying to identify what you're doing, they don't go after you until it goes red.