Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/partxref?q=66126955748&series=E46

https://thebmwminipartstore.com/parts/index.cfm?searchText=66126955748&make=BMW&action=oePartSearch&siteid=218365

166ea

but i'm not sure if you can program the key without a working key...you might need to figure that out first. you will also have to prove ownership of the car to them before they will send it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
I guess I can email them and see what the deal is with getting it programmed, thanks.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
yeah now that i think about it you shouldnt have any trouble doing it:

https://itstillruns.com/program-bmw-e46-key-7631549.html

might take a few tries but at least your wallet wont be hurting as bad

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

BraveUlysses posted:

yeah now that i think about it you shouldnt have any trouble doing it:

https://itstillruns.com/program-bmw-e46-key-7631549.html

might take a few tries but at least your wallet wont be hurting as bad

That would require me to be able to get into my car in the first place :cripes:

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

Popete posted:

That would require me to be able to get into my car in the first place :cripes:

That was an expensive night of drinking.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
When you order the key you use it to open your door

:boom:

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Somewhat Heroic posted:

That was an expensive night of drinking.

:rubshands:

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
At this point I'll probably just get one from BMW because after taxes/shipping it's only gonna be like $40 more and I want to be %100 sure it works. I'm not in any particular rush as the e46 is in the garage for the winter and I wasn't planning to drive it anytime soon.

But I may try that program method if I can source some cheap keys, cause it's ridiculous to pay this much for a single key.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Did you keep the keys to both cars on the same keyring?

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Popete posted:

At this point I'll probably just get one from BMW because after taxes/shipping it's only gonna be like $40 more and I want to be %100 sure it works. I'm not in any particular rush as the e46 is in the garage for the winter and I wasn't planning to drive it anytime soon.

But I may try that program method if I can source some cheap keys, cause it's ridiculous to pay this much for a single key.

you can only buy these keys from an authorized dealership, bmwminipartstore is an authorized dealer.

this is the address for the dealership
https://www.bmwstore.com/

they get the key from the same place that all dealers get them from. the key is pre-cut based on your vin.

if you go into a dealer they will do the same programming process that you will do at home.

lmao dont overthink this, its insane how much of a markup the dealers want.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Cojawfee posted:

Did you keep the keys to both cars on the same keyring?

Look we've already established I make poor choices.

BraveUlysses posted:

you can only buy these keys from an authorized dealership, bmwminipartstore is an authorized dealer.

this is the address for the dealership
https://www.bmwstore.com/

they get the key from the same place that all dealers get them from. the key is pre-cut based on your vin.

if you go into a dealer they will do the same programming process that you will do at home.

lmao dont overthink this, its insane how much of a markup the dealers want.

Alright if they can cut it then I'll give it a shot. Will have to email them and figure out how to show proof of ownership first.

EDIT: Their FAQ page details how to order a key, so I'll just follow that.

Popete fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Jan 21, 2019

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

That's still cheaper than what Honda wanted for a replacement. They quoted IIRC 4hrs labor. Was gonna be pushing $300.

Thankfully we found my keying a few days later. gently caress dealerships.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
Popete: you should probably just abandon it where it sits and buy an E92 M3, imho. Two replacement keys and you're halfway to a fifth of the cost of replacement bearings? No brainer. I mean, does anyone even have a non-V8 M3 anymore around here?

I put 50 bucks worth of 99 octane in mine (4.5 gallons) today then sloshed 5 gallons of Shell's Finest Vintage '91 on top of that, and then since it's sub-60 degrees out today in beautiful SoCal and with super clear air today after a week of heavy rains, I went and did some fun, loud and questionably legal things up on Mulholland and the surrounding twisty roads. The tunnels they built up there in the 30's and 40's are - in 2 words - "acoustically fantastic" for circa 2700-7700rpm pulls in highly strung 4.0 NA engines.

Midway through this taxing day of "commuting" I found a 991 GT3 bro with that really good flat concrete color they're making Porsches in now, and we carved some corners together/shared some exhaust blips for each other at stoplights for a bit before he turned down into Beverly Hills. 2nd gear rolling burnouts at 35 mph are not adequately appreciated around here (hat tip to Somewhat Heroic, our current 2nd gear rolling burnout champion currently), but the chilly weather along with my PSS's being pretty worn at this point + whatever psychological benefit walter-whiting my 95-ish octane gas solution into the car gave me - it made today a spectacular day for them, but I did not set up the gopro's external mic so alas from the footage I got today you would not know something fun was happening other than me bouncing off the rev limiter a lot - and possibly thinking I'm extremely inept at driving in a straight line.

Then on the drive back home I saw a burnt orange 1M parked up in front of one of the rich-kid morning coffee joints on Ventura but didn't get a chance to take a snap of it. I downshifted to second from about 5500 rpms to make sure if he was sitting at a table outside he (OR SHE) looked up.

~*randy newman: "I Love LA" playing in the background *~

Infinotize
Sep 5, 2003

what did I just read

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
i dunno, but burnout and v8 were mentioned in there, so it gets a pass, imo

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Infinotize posted:

what did I just read

Yeah that’s something else

ThirstyBuck
Nov 6, 2010

Unclear. But he should probably wipe down the keyboard at the very least.

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

angryrobots posted:

That's still cheaper than what Honda wanted for a replacement. They quoted IIRC 4hrs labor. Was gonna be pushing $300.

Thankfully we found my keying a few days later. gently caress dealerships.

My sister called me from the Honda dealer about her key not working, they were going to charge her like $300 to make a new one. I drove to her car with her key to check it out first, the steering column was just locked so once I twisted the wheel the ignition worked fine.

That same thing happened in college, friend called me saying her car was dead, I pull up and get in position to jump it, hop in her car and her radio was on. Just had to turn the wheel.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Now I'm waffling on buying the key and programming myself. I'm reading conflicting guides online saying you do need a working key to start the programming sequence.

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008

incels interlinked posted:

My sister called me from the Honda dealer about her key not working, they were going to charge her like $300 to make a new one. I drove to her car with her key to check it out first, the steering column was just locked so once I twisted the wheel the ignition worked fine.
Man, I'd lose my poo poo over that if it happened to someone I knew.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Popete posted:

Now I'm waffling on buying the key and programming myself. I'm reading conflicting guides online saying you do need a working key to start the programming sequence.

tfw you see posters put more faith in dumb bimmershit forums instead of somethingawful forum posters

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

BraveUlysses posted:

tfw you see posters put more faith in dumb bimmershit forums instead of somethingawful forum posters

Have you done this procedure before without another key? I'm not saying you're wrong, but every other guide insists you need a working key to put it into accessory mode before you can program a new key.

It would just suck to drop $160+ on a key and then still need to go to the dealer.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Popete posted:

Have you done this procedure before without another key? I'm not saying you're wrong, but every other guide insists you need a working key to put it into accessory mode before you can program a new key.

It would just suck to drop $160+ on a key and then still need to go to the dealer.

yes

https://www.bmwgm5.com/bmwgm5/key_recode.htm

quote:

This procedure is for the remote keyless entry only and has NOTHING to do with the ability to start the engine. It will not fix keys that do not start the engine and won't mess up a key so that it won't start the engine. Old Key/New Key information.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

My faith is in you AI Goon.

Popete fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Jan 22, 2019

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

I've low-key lurked this thread for years, so I appreciate all y'all's thoughts on things. Anyone in here own or have thoughts on the Mini Countryman? The wife drives a 2011 328i that we both love. We're looking for a family wagon and a manual transmission is a must. Are they big enough to take kid+large dog on a road trip? Are they reliable? I'd appreciate any advice on them.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Dik Hz posted:

Are they big enough to take kid+large dog on a road trip? Are they reliable? I'd appreciate any advice on them.

Yes, no. Do it.

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

I had the opportunity to change literally anything about the world and I used it to get a new av

“It” being a burnout.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

Bless this thread title change :moonrio:

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Somewhat Heroic posted:

Bless this thread title change :moonrio:

Yes

But don't buy a mini

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
Hello, goons, I am thinking about joining this BMW club. I'm looking at two 2015 3-series wagons. Same price. The only difference I see is that #1 has 49k miles and the luxury package and #2 has 23k miles without the package.

I'm not quite sure what the luxury package includes. I saw: heated steering wheel, heated rear seats, and a bunch of trim. Is there anything else?

Bluetooth audio should be on both models, right? I saw a 2014 review that said the lowest model only had Bluetooth calling and it freaked me out a little.

Thanks!

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Dik Hz posted:

I've low-key lurked this thread for years, so I appreciate all y'all's thoughts on things. Anyone in here own or have thoughts on the Mini Countryman? The wife drives a 2011 328i that we both love. We're looking for a family wagon and a manual transmission is a must. Are they big enough to take kid+large dog on a road trip? Are they reliable? I'd appreciate any advice on them.

Buy an M3

Uthor posted:

Hello, goons, I am thinking about joining this BMW club. I'm looking at two 2015 3-series wagons. Same price. The only difference I see is that #1 has 49k miles and the luxury package and #2 has 23k miles without the package.

I'm not quite sure what the luxury package includes. I saw: heated steering wheel, heated rear seats, and a bunch of trim. Is there anything else?

Bluetooth audio should be on both models, right? I saw a 2014 review that said the lowest model only had Bluetooth calling and it freaked me out a little.

Thanks!

Buy an M3

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

Uthor posted:

Thanks!

Miles are pretty key, but more than that would be maintenance performed and remaining (if any) warranty. Do you have service records for both cars since day one? Talk to your local service rep and ask them specifics about which one is following a better service guideline. Premium packs usually have other stuff like comfort access which is stuff like keyless entry and locking where you just touch the handle, folding mirrors, etc. Find an archived brochure online for a given model year and see what the packages entails and decide if that is worth it. Also if you can talk to the right people at a BMW dealership they can look up original MSRP (sticker) price. For example, the price delta of M3's of my vintage can swing over $20K from original MSRP for essentially the same car but a stripper vs loaded model. Lower miles would be better if interested in long term ownership and if you plan on putting more miles on a car, the lux package would be better if you plan on having it a relatively shorter amount of time and drive less miles than average.

Steely Dad
Jul 29, 2006

See if either of them has had the timing chain warranty fix done. That’s the most expensive known issue on those cars, so if the 49k has already had it replaced and also has reasonable service records, then it’s a safe-ish bet.

I’m pretty sure that Bluetooth audio comes with all US spec F30s. Check to see if the premium package includes the heads up display. The HUD makes a huge difference in day-to-day driving, especially with nav.

26k miles is a big difference, but F30s have been aging pretty well. I bought mine with 45k-ish miles and have added 30k more with exactly zero issues beyond maintenance or assholes running into the car.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Uthor posted:

Thanks!
My boss bought a 2016 for her daughter last year and she hasn’t had any issues with it and really likes it. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
Thanks for the input, all.

Dadliest Worrier posted:

See if either of them has had the timing chain warranty fix done.

Do you have a link or more information on this?

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Ether Frenzy posted:

Popete: you should probably just abandon it where it sits and buy an E92 M3, imho. Two replacement keys and you're halfway to a fifth of the cost of replacement bearings? No brainer. I mean, does anyone even have a non-V8 M3 anymore around here?

I put 50 bucks worth of 99 octane in mine (4.5 gallons) today then sloshed 5 gallons of Shell's Finest Vintage '91 on top of that, and then since it's sub-60 degrees out today in beautiful SoCal and with super clear air today after a week of heavy rains, I went and did some fun, loud and questionably legal things up on Mulholland and the surrounding twisty roads. The tunnels they built up there in the 30's and 40's are - in 2 words - "acoustically fantastic" for circa 2700-7700rpm pulls in highly strung 4.0 NA engines.

Midway through this taxing day of "commuting" I found a 991 GT3 bro with that really good flat concrete color they're making Porsches in now, and we carved some corners together/shared some exhaust blips for each other at stoplights for a bit before he turned down into Beverly Hills. 2nd gear rolling burnouts at 35 mph are not adequately appreciated around here (hat tip to Somewhat Heroic, our current 2nd gear rolling burnout champion currently), but the chilly weather along with my PSS's being pretty worn at this point + whatever psychological benefit walter-whiting my 95-ish octane gas solution into the car gave me - it made today a spectacular day for them, but I did not set up the gopro's external mic so alas from the footage I got today you would not know something fun was happening other than me bouncing off the rev limiter a lot - and possibly thinking I'm extremely inept at driving in a straight line.

Then on the drive back home I saw a burnt orange 1M parked up in front of one of the rich-kid morning coffee joints on Ventura but didn't get a chance to take a snap of it. I downshifted to second from about 5500 rpms to make sure if he was sitting at a table outside he (OR SHE) looked up.

~*randy newman: "I Love LA" playing in the background *~

As someone who spend time in LA for college in the mid-90s where this view would have just been a sea of smog, this photo brings loving tears to my eyes.

Steely Dad
Jul 29, 2006

Uthor posted:

Do you have a link or more information on this?

A quick searched pulled up this thread, which opens with a few links: https://x3.xbimmers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1482736

If you can confirm build dates on the cars, it looks like 2015-built N20s don’t have the issue. If one of them has a 2014 build date and hasn’t had the warranty fix done, that would be a concern.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?
I was researching the hell out of 328s maybe six months ago before I blew my car budget up, and it really doesn't seem like mileage should be a huge concern on the N20. The timing chain fix is super important, but otherwise it doesn't seem like you're going to have any major issues between a car with ~20k miles and one with ~40k miles, assuming they're in similar condition and have similar histories. I'd definitely take a higher mileage example that's been well cared for over a lower mileage one that hasn't. I'd probably choose a better optioned, higher mileage car over a stripped one too, all else being equal.

Regarding Bluetooth, F30s are not guaranteed to have Bluetooth audio. It sucks, but if the car wasn't coded for it then it's entirely possible you'll have Bluetooth calling and no audio. A dealership or indie can theoretically code this for you, but whether they will not is another story. If you want to be sure, run the car's VIN through a BMW VIN decoder and check the options. I'm not 100% sure, but I think if you see 6NH then you've got a basic rear end setup that won't do Bluetooth streaming.

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path
fitting into an infinite pattern.

Yours to manipulate, to destroy and rebuild.

Now, in the quantum moment
before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.
One point of space and time.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

Posting from outside my bmw. The lock tumbler has failed, please send coat hangers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Waffle House posted:

Posting from outside my bmw. The lock tumbler has failed, please send coat hangers
Automotive Insanity > BMW Thread: Please send coat hangers