Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

The same reason we think the old days were full of great movies/music/whatever; the good stuff stays while the rest died. Not even all the good stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
Good God, y’all, Episode 6 of Wayne is loving incredible. Do not sleep on this show.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Bruceski posted:

The same reason we think the old days were full of great movies/music/whatever; the good stuff stays while the rest died. Not even all the good stuff.

It’s why it always bugs me whenever a show or movie does the whole 80s or 90s throwback thing and every reference or background music track is something insanely popular that stayed in memory.

E: or they go for a major disaster in a nudge nudge wink wink way.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

muscles like this! posted:

Hey Netflix, I thought your all powerful algorithm was supposed to accurately tell what kind of stuff I'd like? Why would you think I'd want to watch a comedy special where the guy makes fun of someone next to him at the gym putting in his "bitch buds." Putting aside the fact that someone at the gym using headphones isn't anything out of the ordinary, how does that insult even make sense?

Is the audience laughing? Audiences, stop laughing at bad, nonsensical jokes just because you think you're supposed to.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Finally Counterpart gets some answers going.

Outstanding episode.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I'm rewatching Warehouse 13 on Freeview and oh my god do I hate it. Freeview, not Warehouse 13. I don't super mind the commercials even if they seem like they maybe do an extra break than even happens on TV. But they're 30 seconds so its not too bad. But they do that thing where the commercials are SOOOOO much louder than the show and its terrible. I hate them so much for it and I'm not sure if I can keep up the rewatch.

W13 itself starts off a little clumsy but they fall into a great brother/sister dynamic really fast and the charms starts up quick. They haven't even added whatshername to the cast yet and I know I enjoyed her teh first time around.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

STAC Goat posted:

I'm rewatching Warehouse 13 on Freeview and oh my god do I hate it. Freeview, not Warehouse 13. I don't super mind the commercials even if they seem like they maybe do an extra break than even happens on TV. But they're 30 seconds so its not too bad. But they do that thing where the commercials are SOOOOO much louder than the show and its terrible. I hate them so much for it and I'm not sure if I can keep up the rewatch.

W13 itself starts off a little clumsy but they fall into a great brother/sister dynamic really fast and the charms starts up quick. They haven't even added whatshername to the cast yet and I know I enjoyed her teh first time around.

The US Congress alllllllllmost outlawed this once. :eng101:

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
Is the loud commercial thing pretty much exclusive to streaming? I don't think I remember ever hearing it when I had Comcast and our DirecTV at work doesn't do it. Why do they think it's going to do anything other than annoying me enough to never ever purchase their product.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Inspector 34 posted:

Is the loud commercial thing pretty much exclusive to streaming? I don't think I remember ever hearing it when I had Comcast and our DirecTV at work doesn't do it. Why do they think it's going to do anything other than annoying me enough to never ever purchase their product.
It's illegal on broadcast TV and cable. https://www.fcc.gov/media/policy/loud-commercials The internet is exempted, so all the commercials on any streaming video are super loud.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Inspector 34 posted:

It's called negging

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

EL BROMANCE posted:

It’s why it always bugs me whenever a show or movie does the whole 80s or 90s throwback thing and every reference or background music track is something insanely popular that stayed in memory.

E: or they go for a major disaster in a nudge nudge wink wink way.

Same with the 60s and british invasion/summer of love stuff or the 70s and disco/hard rock. Those eras had entire genres and movements that pop history just tosses aside.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

FactsAreUseless posted:

It's illegal on broadcast TV and cable. https://www.fcc.gov/media/policy/loud-commercials The internet is exempted, so all the commercials on any streaming video are super loud.

They really need to get around to making this law apply to streaming because it sucks hard. Roku channels are especially bad about it

Patrovsky
May 8, 2007
whatever is fine

STAC Goat posted:

And just like any great sibling dynamic, they end it in the most logical possible way!

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Ok, I’m on the Wayne train. It’s very funny, the kids are great, and there’s a lot of memorable side characters.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Aw man, Phil Hartman is in this episode, now I'm sad

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

precision posted:

They really need to get around to making this law apply to streaming because it sucks hard. Roku channels are especially bad about it
I can 100 percent guarantee this will not happen.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PQvtX-N9IXY

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

oh my god

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
Woah it's Hector from Ghostwriter.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

People enjoying WAYNE - I see it's the writers from Deadpool, so I'm guessing same kind of humor etc as the films? My wife likes those movies too, so was thinking of seeing if she'd like the new show.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
They’re only the exec producers, but it does have some pretty violent humour at times. Sorry if I’m stealing this from anyone else here but it’s like The End of the F**king World meets Shameless (except replace Chicago with Boston)

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

Escobarbarian posted:

They’re only the exec producers, but it does have some pretty violent humour at times. Sorry if I’m stealing this from anyone else here but it’s like The End of the F**king World meets Shameless (except replace Chicago with Boston)

Actually, Reese and Wernick are the credited writers of Episode 3, so it seems like they were pretty hands-on, at least at the beginning. But yeah, it’s pretty much the most visceral parts of Shameless(*) and The End of the F***ing World thrown into a blender with just a shot of Four Loko. And it’s loving great.

(*In fact, Mike O’Malley, the one-time Nickelodeon GUTS host who wrote for Shameless before creating Survivor’s Remorse, has a recurring role as Wayne’s world-weary principal, and he’s loving great.)

Esco, I’m going to be super interested in what you (and others) think of Episode 6 when you get to it because I got downright wild over it. Like I used to do in the old days of TV IV; Friday Night Lights “Mud Bowl” wild. Vague spoilers: It’s not even like it’s a big game-changing episode. It’s just a case of a really good episode story that facilitates a gentle, appropriate, and absolutely wonderful heightening of the emotional stakes, and then...well...something happens, and (slightly less vague) I’ll never look at Vanessa Carlton the same way again.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
The hard cut to WAYNE at the end of Ep6 is beautiful

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
What exactly is Wayne about?

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Escobarbarian posted:

Ah must've misread the poster slightly, I'll see what she thinks about the first ep. Thanks!

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

I need to know why you won't look at Vanessa Carlton the same way again.

esperterra fucked around with this message at 05:46 on Jan 22, 2019

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

I've been rewatching BSG along with Tricia Helfer and Marc Bernandin's podcast, and man I forgot how good that first season was.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

bring back old gbs posted:

The hard cut to WAYNE at the end of Ep6 is beautiful

I no-poo poo applauded when that happened.

Rarity posted:

What exactly is Wayne about?

A 16yo Masshole (Wayne) who hates bullies and doesn’t seem to give the slightest gently caress about his own well-being takes his foul-mouthed crush (Del) away from her abusive family (headed up by Dean “Beeper King” Winters) and goes on a road trip to Florida, hoping to get back the Trans Am his mom stole from his dad when she abandoned the family. Del’s lovely family, the police, and the high school principal go after Wayne and Del for various reasons, pitting these two hosed-up young lovers against the world.

If you’re not intrigued, here’s a trailer. It’s a little spoilery, so turn it off as soon as you get the gist of how this show rolls.

If you ARE intrigued, skip the trailer. I believe the first episode’s free on YouTube.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

esperterra posted:

I need to know why you won't look at Vanessa Carlton the same way again.

It’s maybe not as wild as you’re thinking, and I apologize for that, but at the same time I don’t think I can do it justice. Just watch, or DM me if you really don’t have any patience.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

FactsAreUseless posted:

30 Rock has plenty of problematic elements, but the impression I've gotten in my many, many viewings of the show is that there was probably a mix of writers with the heads of the show being like vaguely center-left and older. You can see places where the show tries to be more progressive and others where it fails, and then the places where they just wanted to provoke a reaction.

Also I think there’s a difference between someone like Fey being a little out of touch and centrist and Louis CK being an actual sex offender.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Maxwell Lord posted:

Also I think there’s a difference between someone like Fey being a little out of touch and centrist and Louis CK being an actual sex offender.
Well yeah, that too.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

DivisionPost posted:

It’s maybe not as wild as you’re thinking, and I apologize for that, but at the same time I don’t think I can do it justice. Just watch, or DM me if you really don’t have any patience.

hmmmm maybe I need to watch this show.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
ep 5 of Wayne is also very good

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
I'm on board the Wayne train. EP6 wow

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

After a few episodes of Warehouse 13 on Freeview the audio isn't even remotely lined up with the video. I was starting to notice it slightly off and wasn't sure but by the end of the last episode i watched it was just entirely off by like a second or two.

I don't know if its the show or the service but either way it seems like a really bad streaming app.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Ok so those might have been the most confusing first 10 minutes of a pilot I've ever watched but wow is the pilot of Wayne a 10/10. :stare:

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
yeah, they released the first window smashing bit as a preview a few months ago and my takeaway was: "ok.....so this guy just goes around and lets people punch him? but he kinda won in the end? i think?"

and that was about right.

Popelmon
Jan 24, 2010

wow
so spin
I really loved the flashback of Wayne too. That show has so much heart.

Anyway, ep 2 of the new You're The Worst season was great. Gretchen me-tooing someone for his office sounds about right.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

howe_sam posted:

I've been rewatching BSG along with Tricia Helfer and Marc Bernandin's podcast, and man I forgot how good that first season was.

Didn't even know about this podcast! I was running low on podcasts to listen to, too, so this was fortuitous. All this has happened before....

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
https://twitter.com/topherflorence/status/1087755171717935104