Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

That's cool I run servers for money and sleep in a bed with my wife

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

I'm giving Intel the finger and going with Epyc. It's gives me way more calcs/dollar and my application can scale wide. Those CPUs are looking really good for most workloads these days

you'll be back, jim keller cpu designer status: alpha 21164 and 21264 -> amd k7 & k8 -> apple a4 & a5 -> amd zen -> now at intel (project not yet known)

(this is not a serious prediction, but it did work predicting the success of zen with kellers return)

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

I wouldn't put it past Jim to get intel the kind of shot in the arm that got them off netburst for core but that's going to be a 5 year lead-time and Zen2 is looking really good for consumer grade stuff, especially with the re-work of the memory controllers so you have consistent latency and bandwidth from all cores to all addresses

SRQ
Nov 9, 2009

is zen still unstable with certain memory speeds

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

Everything I've heard said it's been sorted out for over a year with one of the agesa profile updates. You can get it running reliably with most any DDR-3000 kit and minimal bullshit and if you do something invalid (odd number for CAS interval) it will override you. No more of that samsung b-die 3200 whatever nonsense

SRQ
Nov 9, 2009

I still hear stuff about it so AMD needs to find a way to counteract this FUD.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
i remember back in the athlon xp days when amd held a two day marketing event, one of the primary items of which being workshops for systems integrators to train them on not cracking the CPU die during assembly.

they had a seriously bad reputation for reliability, because the fat fingered fuckwits assembling the systems couldn't quite wrap their heads around the idea of applying even pressure when mounting a heatsink on the exposed die.

of course it was a design issue too, because intel had none of those problems after moving to the integrated heat spreader on the late gen socket 370 and socket 478 products

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
lol i remember on socket 939 when i neglected to twist while pulling the heatsink out, and managed to rip the CPU out of the socket without unlocking the arm. that was a total buttclench moment there. good times

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
maybe my next desktop CPU will be AMD. we'll see. i probably won't need to buy for another year or two anyway

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

my 2500k is struggling but I think I can squeak another year out of it

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

lol i remember on socket 939 when i neglected to twist while pulling the heatsink out, and managed to rip the CPU out of the socket without unlocking the arm. that was a total buttclench moment there. good times

happens pretty often on older cpus where the thermal paste has glued them together. it's definitely a little scary, but then it kept happening to me and they always worked so i stopped worrying and learned to love lovely sockets

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

my 2500k is struggling but I think I can squeak another year out of it

man jesus it seems like every loving computer nerd but me got a sandy bridge chip

i went straight from core 2 duo to an i5-4670

URL grey tea
Jun 1, 2004

IT'S A SAD THING THAT YOUR ADVENTURES HAVE ENDED HERE!!

enterprise software thwarted again

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

URL grey tea posted:

oh no not my PRN stash

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

URL grey tea posted:

IIS_hosting.txt

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

that samsung b-die 3200 whatever nonsense

i believe the term you are looking for is TCCD

infernal machines posted:

i remember back in the athlon xp days when amd held a two day marketing event, one of the primary items of which being workshops for systems integrators to train them on not cracking the CPU die during assembly.

they had a seriously bad reputation for reliability, because the fat fingered fuckwits assembling the systems couldn't quite wrap their heads around the idea of applying even pressure when mounting a heatsink on the exposed die.

of course it was a design issue too, because intel had none of those problems after moving to the integrated heat spreader on the late gen socket 370 and socket 478 products

also slipping with the screwdriver when fastening the clip. 939/940/754 was a huge improvement in heatsink retention over socket A. significantly fewer board RMAs i bet

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
winbond bh 5

SRQ
Nov 9, 2009

bring back slot processors

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

paid for the whole processor but you only get the edge[connector]

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
windows keeps asking me if i want to go out with cortana while she stands awkwardly in the distance and pretends not to watch

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

michaelsoft is... good?

https://twitter.com/GossiTheDog/status/1088002102859911169?s=20

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

i indeed have it but it has not been enabled by default on my phone at least? :s

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

i indeed have it but it has not been enabled by default on my phone at least? :s

they shipped it but it’s off by default

but given this it seems to be working, so I’m wondering when they’re gonna start blocking Twitter

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

ms putting cool tech into products no one is uses again

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

ah yes, mobile edge, the browser i didn't know still existed

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Endless Mike posted:

ah yes, mobile edge, the browser i didn't know still existed

it is not the wp actual edge, it is the usual chromium-derived browser which exists for bookmark/tab/password sync

it has no particular advantage otherwise, but i use it since i happen to have that stuff in edge to start with

Jon Pod Van Damm
Apr 6, 2009

THE POSSESSION OF WEALTH IS IN AND OF ITSELF A SIGN OF POOR VIRTUE. AS SUCH:
1 NEVER TRUST ANY RICH PERSON.
2 NEVER HIRE ANY RICH PERSON.
BY RULE 1, IT IS APPROPRIATE TO PRESUME THAT ALL DEGREES AND CREDENTIALS HELD BY A WEALTHY PERSON ARE FRAUDULENT. THIS JUSTIFIES RULE 2--RULE 1 NEEDS NO JUSTIFIC

quote:

I remember a few years back I checked and saw I had consistently been downloading over 5TB a month. Turns out it was the microsoft app store downloading gears of war 4 over and over and over in the background.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

we're struggling to use microsoft's odata libraries at work, encountering problem after problem.

found that if you expand too many properties you get a stack overflow, which lead me to this absolutely excellent bug report response from a microsoft employee:

https://github.com/OData/WebApi/issues/829

ah yes, you see, the problem is that you were trying to use the api! glad you found the cause of the issue *closed*

this poo poo still happens to this day, kills the entire iis process and all current requests. good job using the stack to parse the query string guys.

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

The entire OData spec is amazingly dumb, and the odata.org website remains impressively incomprehensible.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

:hmbol:

microsoft blew up their cloud services worldwide, logins to everything fail intermittently, but more often than not

the product dashboard of course shows green, but nothing is actually accessible.

someone done hosed up their DNS

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

lol: https://outage.report/microsoft/

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
:rip: :yayclod:
https://twitter.com/azuresupport/status/1090366788972404737

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we have some government relations clients that have been pushing for a cloud services migration for business continuity reasons, i can only image the hollering and screaming if we had actually gone ahead with it

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003
if you actually went ahead with it you would have gone with aws, duh. friends don't let friends host on azure

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

yes. i'm going to host canadian govt adjacent data in aws.

also, what? roll my own exchange?

e: oh hey, they have a canada region now

infernal machines fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Jan 29, 2019

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003
oh uh i didn't consider office 365 part of azure cloud services. because one of those things actually works and is used by top companies worldwide! and the other is azure cloud services

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

and both are inaccessible right now

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before
Can confirm it was hosed in my region, the services we use seem back now though.

Azure seems like a dumpster fire that exists only because of the amount of brand loyalty government departments have to Microsoft. I honestly think that this is being very rapidly eroded though and I suspect there will be lots of "Potential Migration - AWS, GCP" calendar invites coming out.

Tertiary to all this but the Microsoft guys I've dealt with in person has had a very transparent sales strategy of "marry this entity to Azure as much as physically possible" to the point where any solution that isn't literally "do the same thing, but in azure" is treated very dismissively.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

50 percent of the time my rear end

also, lol if you were using azure 2fa for sign-ins, you are just fuuuucked