Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
Ok loving hell I now feel compelled to compel people to pinch their fingers and go jazz handsing down the streets. Ain't no nazis gonna steal my fingers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Afriscipio
Jun 3, 2013

Cicadas!
Oct 27, 2010

A loving thumbs-up is a white power thing now too?! I'm rapidly running out of ways to nonverbally show approval or enthusiasm and I am extremely pissed about it!

Reign Of Pain
May 1, 2005

Nap Ghost

Cicadas! posted:

A loving thumbs-up is a white power thing now too?! I'm rapidly running out of ways to nonverbally show approval or enthusiasm and I am extremely pissed about it!

Cicadas!
Oct 27, 2010

Did you think that was a sarcastic post or something? It wasn't. I'm actually mad about jackasses with no morals whittling away at things that used to be inoffensive and harmless.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

Cicadas! posted:

Did you think that was a sarcastic post or something? It wasn't. I'm actually mad about jackasses with no morals whittling away at things that used to be inoffensive and harmless.

I think it was being put forth as an alternative.

Cicadas!
Oct 27, 2010

You know what, you're right. If nazis can make the OK symbol stand for white power, then we can probably make dismissive jerkoff motions translate to "good job!"

e: that could not have gone any worse

Cicadas! has a new favorite as of 12:41 on Jan 22, 2019

Steve Holt!
Aug 28, 2006

STEVE HOLT!

College Slice

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat

Guys THIS is the new White power hand signal MAKE IT HAPPEN!!!!!!!

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
https://i.imgur.com/mHBLjJV.gifv

What if people re-co-opted the OK hand gesture and made it a symbol used by people not espousing white power?

Like, imagine how pissed off some "Alpha" dude would be if he started seeing pregnant black lesbians, or whatever other combo you want, using it.

sandoz
Jan 29, 2009

Karate Bastard posted:

Y'all people are so goddamned ready to throw away everything just so you can point at some folks and go "Despicable!" in your best holier than thou voice. No it doesn't loving mean "White bower" just cause some idiots meant it that way. It does mean "arsehole" in some parts of the world though so you may take some solace in that.

These fingers never said white power and loving won't no matter how much you want them to.

E: A bit back some people were trying to stop people from doing thumbs up, because to some other people that means "shove this up your arse", which it obviously doesn't mean to most people on this planet, so no it doesn't mean that, except to very few people on the planet whose stupid opinions only matter if you are trying to communicate to them. If not then it doesn't matter that they think "thumbs up" means the same as "middle finger up", which by the way you have to do with two fingers in some other parts of the world whose stupid opinions on the matter don't matter one bit outside their wronghole.

E2: I just rewatched a newspiece on Cambridge Analytica and this seems like the exact sort of thing they'd get up to, that's how stupid this is.

lol

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

It's a super good idea to stop using a thing because a tiny set of idiots co-opted it, further empowering their tenuous grip on it, instead of just keeping using it like a normal person and diluting their bullshit into nothingness.

Have some aquatic themed stuff to wash away this really dumb derail.

https://i.imgur.com/Kuc4dLz.gifv

https://i.imgur.com/kQb1eUX.gifv

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Slippery posted:

I don't consider myself significantly beep boop about stuff but I found myself agreeing with whoever it was that pointed out the okay sign. I don't think it's innocent most times because it's not something you do on accident.

But whatever I'd love to be proven wrong and that one was just an innocent use of the sign.

Sorry, I wasn't actually aiming that at you.

I was trying to cut off the thousand posts by deliberately obtuse goons pretending that context doesn't exist.

(but sure enough, they still came)

Like with the racist kid who stared down a Native American veteran recently. Every "just asking questions" goon came scuttling out of the woodwork to point out that standing there with a grin on your face isn't listed in Merriam Webster as one of the definitions of racism, while totally ignoring the hundred or so other racists screaming insults and acting in a threatening manner.

But, this isn't a McDonalds drive-through.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Cicadas! posted:

I find this a good gesture to show approval.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

For as cool as that moment is, it was such a piss poor punch. My favorite nazi punch is this one:

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat

Geemer posted:

Have some aquatic themed stuff to wash away this really dumb derail.

https://i.imgur.com/kQb1eUX.gifv

Yeah I got triggered. Sorry!

On another note I've been thinking about that as the octopus' "head", but seeing this maybe it's more correct to think of it as the octopus' "snoot", for booping?

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

The point is that gesture is literally used by white supremacists and it's supposed to be innocuous so that when they do it and people who know say "whoa that dude's doing a nazi thing" people are like "lol these liberals/sjws/online people are so easily offended they're upset about an OK sign." This is not a bug. This is the intended effect, and when you get lovely when someone points it out you are falling for it, because when chuds all over keep doing it, it means exactly that.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

https://i.imgur.com/oPuLriY.mp4

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Seems like the only way to keep them from winning is letting them have everything they want. It's beautiful in its simplicity.

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

Frog puns are toadally awesome

It's more context specific, not every person doing it in a picture is a nazi. But a turd doing it while deliberately breaking a rule (like until the bird, that was the point of that video) probably is. Also if the person seems to be sneaking it in, like doing it at waist level, of they have a deadpan stare, then chances are they're a nazi.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

Solice Kirsk posted:

Seems like the only way to keep them from winning is letting them have everything they want. It's beautiful in its simplicity.

Explaining why a gesture is, in fact, bring used by some awful people, is not "letting them have" anything dipshit. It's explaining why people get concerned when they see people do this because nazis have deliberately muddied the water.

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

Sedge and Bee posted:

Also if the person seems to be sneaking it in, like doing it at waist level, of they have a deadpan stare, then chances are they're a nazi.

Or if you notice, you just lost at the circle game.

Glagha posted:

Explaining why a gesture is, in fact, bring used by some awful people, is not "letting them have" anything dipshit. It's explaining why people get concerned when they see people do this because nazis have deliberately muddied the water.

It looks more like going around telling everybody that the OK sign is a Nazi dogwhistle promotes it as such.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Lurking Haro posted:

Or if you notice, you just lost at the circle game.

Yeah, that’s how I know it, and it’s exactly that: low key get someone to notice you doing that and then they groan and everyone has a laugh.

Sestze
Jun 6, 2004

Cybernetic Crumb

Lurking Haro posted:

It looks more like going around telling everybody that the OK sign is a Nazi dogwhistle promotes it as such.
if the white nationalists use it as an identifier, it's good to mention that it's being used as such in the context where that's happening.

because it gets these idiots fired

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

"Just ignore the white supremacists, talking about them just promotes them" sure has worked out well in the past.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

Solice Kirsk posted:

Why is Solice Kirsk the only one making any sense whatsoever in this thread?

Unperson_47
Oct 14, 2007

Octo-booping.

Ghostpilot
Jun 22, 2007

"As a rule, I never touch anything more sophisticated and delicate than myself."
https://i.imgur.com/IKzfFbQ.gifv

Trebek
Mar 7, 2002
College Slice

Duuuuuuuuude

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

Glagha posted:

The point is that gesture is literally used by white supremacists and it's supposed to be innocuous so that when they do it and people who know say "whoa that dude's doing a nazi thing" people are like "lol these liberals/sjws/online people are so easily offended they're upset about an OK sign." This is not a bug. This is the intended effect, and when you get lovely when someone points it out you are falling for it, because when chuds all over keep doing it, it means exactly that.

I love how people lose their poo poo about whether this is real or not but if you say "in some [brown or black] neighborhoods wearing the wrong color sneakers if you live there can get you in trouble" everyone's like "well yeah that makes sense of course."

White supremacist movements are actual gangs and (like actual gangs - because they are one!) also have kids and adults that aren't part of them who think they're cool-as-heck and hop onto the gang culture. There's also feedback between those two sides where community feedback and inside jokes from hangers-on and fans infiltrates the actual gangs and become actual things.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Apologies for triggering a ruckus w/ my funny bird clip.

NoneMoreNegative has a new favorite as of 22:44 on Jan 22, 2019

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Also;

https://twitter.com/jonjones/status/1087565462286811137

aw yeah thats the spot :3:

dumb.
Apr 11, 2014

-=💀=-
https://i.imgur.com/37wCJ0a.gifv

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

Has science gone too far?

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

https://i.imgur.com/H1asMVv.gifv

spookykid
Apr 28, 2006

I am an awkward fellow
after all
that is some god tier chancla chucking

DryGoods
Apr 26, 2014

Dogs, on the other hand, can connect with that pathos.
https://i.imgur.com/EohVuL0.gifv

fishing with the fam
Feb 29, 2008

Durr
That's so god drat beautiful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Dannywilson posted:

that is some god tier chancla chucking

Someone edit it to make it look like it goes into RDR2 Deadeye mode.