Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
Want to know a secret?

none of the submarines are actually good

:wink:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Bad Guy
Jun 28, 2006
The ATT (pre-school for FC's, ET's) building in GL had a water pipe on the 2nd deck burst on my weekend duty day. Thousands of gallons on deck, but it really wasn't that bad since a building can't sink. Duty section and a bunch of students from the barracks had things looking alright after a few hours with shop vacs.

No, I did not shoot the pipe while disassembling a weapon.

Commoners
Apr 25, 2007

Sometimes you reach a stalemate. Sometimes you get magic horses.

Mr. Bad Guy posted:

Sounds like a misdirection to cover up the fact that you disassembled the pipe. :thunk:

in navy-idiot news, I just took the non-flight portion of the ASTB and got a 65 for my OAR. Going to be putting in for intel and supply corps for when I graduate this summer and aiming for that retirement pension at 42 for being a desk jockey.

Are they as toxic as I know SWOs are, or are those two communities at least a little bit less poo poo than our surface/sub communities?

Commoners fucked around with this message at 07:33 on Jan 22, 2019

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

Mr. Bad Guy posted:

The ATT (pre-school for FC's, ET's) building in GL had a water pipe on the 2nd deck burst on my weekend duty day. Thousands of gallons on deck, but it really wasn't that bad since a building can't sink. Duty section and a bunch of students from the barracks had things looking alright after a few hours with shop vacs.

gently caress that old rear end building. I hope 100 NIDA trainers washed away.

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

Commoners posted:

Sounds like a misdirection to cover up the fact that you disassembled the pipe. :thunk:

in navy-idiot news, I just took the non-flight portion of the ASTB and got a 65 for my OAR. Going to be putting in for intel and supply corps for when I graduate this summer and aiming for that retirement pension at 42 for being a desk jockey.

Are they as toxic as I know SWOs are, or are those two communities at least a little bit less poo poo than our surface/sub communities?

All the supply officers I met seemed to enjoy life, but I know a few of them got in some hot water for fraud.

Military intelligence sounds like it would be loving awful

Dorstein
Dec 8, 2000
GIP VSO
Does anyone know much about becoming a "cyber" officer? I'm finishing a Computer Engineering degree, starting a master's in same, and always kinda wanted to fill out frequent flyer forms with "Commander".

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Kawasaki Nun posted:

All the supply officers I met seemed to enjoy life, but I know a few of them got in some hot water for fraud.

Military intelligence sounds like it would be loving awful

Don't be an intel weenie. I watched a dude have a nervous breakdown from overwork, it's not worth it

orange juche fucked around with this message at 11:04 on Jan 22, 2019

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

Mr. Bad Guy posted:

Memmmmories

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Commoners posted:

NFOs are the only line officer even close to SWOlife. Being a SWO is also really just dependent on your command. I've had good COs and bad COs, and all of the SWOs here can say the same.

Supply is pretty chill. Your first tour will likely be as an assistant suppo on a smallboy or if you go submarines you can just be the suppo. Intel is also pretty chill, but you won't ever see a window again and will spend the rest of your service in cold small rooms with nothing but artificial light and the warm glow of LCDs to keep you company.

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia

Commoners posted:

So if you took the ASTB are you trying to go for any flight jobs, or were you just looking to take the OAR?

For what its worth, the supply guys I graduated from OCS with seem to be enjoying it so far (though we only have two years in so far), and quite a few of the people I know who got attrited from aviation have also made their way supply side. All in all, it seems pretty chill.

Intel might be more mixed, there were some alright guys heading that way, but there were a lot more interesting characters there. I don't really talk with any though so I'm not sure, I never see them.

If you don't mind being a line officer, NFO so far isn't a bad gig, especially if you can get MPRA. Downside is depending on your timing you might get jet drafted and talking to my friends going fighter they all seem pretty miserable.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

I don't believe in anything, I'm just here for the violence.

Jimmy4400nav posted:

If you don't mind being a line officer, NFO so far isn't a bad gig, especially if you can get MPRA. Downside is depending on your timing you might get jet drafted and talking to my friends going fighter they all seem pretty miserable.

:crossarms:

Wonder Free
Jun 19, 2006

Throw some D's..
The intel officers I worked with on the MPRA side didn’t seem to do too much when we were home, and when we were deployed it was mostly making sure their IS’s did all the post mission products and debriefs correctly. You’ll spend a lot of time behind a locked door in an office without windows regardless.

No idea what life is like at larger staff commands where there are a bunch of intel nerds clustered together.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Wonder Free posted:

The intel officers I worked with on the MPRA side didn’t seem to do too much when we were home, and when we were deployed it was mostly making sure their IS’s did all the post mission products and debriefs correctly. You’ll spend a lot of time behind a locked door in an office without windows regardless.

No idea what life is like at larger staff commands where there are a bunch of intel nerds clustered together.

The windowless rooms just get a bit larger.

Also shim's description of an AF intel officer is pretty close to a navy intel officer, although the navy ones are a bit less jesusy in my experience. Maybe that's because sailors worship the sea alone because Poseidon doesn't give a gently caress what Yhwh is up to in the clouds.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

My SCIF has windows. :c00lbert:

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Odd discussion time for my fellow sailors -

I crossed the line in 2011. We did the ceremony a few weeks later. On my second pass through the ship-long gauntlet (king neptune did not accept me on pass one) I got my head stuck in a cargo net while trying to climb over some fenders. This was amidships on a DDG. This is right after I ripped open my coveralls, underwear, and rear end while scooting on nonskid singing the spongebob song while getting soaked by the topside chemical counterwash sprinklers on the forecastle. The combination of my head getting stuck in a cargo net plus the bleeding rear end made me say "gently caress this, this is loving stupid" very loudly, getting up, and walking back inside the skin of the ship. No one tried to stop me, and all of the people around seemed to understand. I went to my stateroom, took a shower, and threw my ripped clothes and favorite pair of sneakers that were now ruined overboard.

I got a little bit of poo poo from the wardroom for not finishing, but not much. A few sailors talked some poo poo as well, but after a bit of shittalking back nothing ever really came of it and life went on. Fast forward to last year. My mom decided that she was going to do something special for me and bought me one of those bigass framed certificates for crossing the line. It's sat in my closet since, because I personally don't think I should hang it up. I see it as similar to wearing an award I did not earn. She thinks I'm putting way too much thought into it and no one else would ever know or care.

I haven't actually asked other sailors what they think. Am I being an idiot for actually caring?

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

Speaking at this from the enlisted side having seen new IntelOs at big intel center and sea duty, knowing colleagues at the schoolhouse, and talking to senior IntelOs so, your results may vary.

New IntelO is gonna do the OSC/ROTC/Academy thing and then go to Dam Neck for initial training in how to do intel. During that period you'll pick orders and most likely either end up at a sea billet (either shipboard, staff, or air squadron) or shore billet (big intel centers). Of course, there are the unicorns doing special things, but that's not really covered here.

For sea duty, you'll go to a ship or staff and be the Intel Os (Ship's Intel Officer, O-4 type usually) assistant and Division Officer for your intel div. For air, you'll be the IntelO and supervising your ISs like Wonder Free talked about already. Like any job in the Navy, who your IntelO is, who your LCPO is, and who your Dept Head is will massively shape how your experience goes. Also if you're in the yards or actually deploying too. For shore duty, you'll go to a big intel center and learn to do analysis and probably be a division officer on paper for some Sailors or other joint service members. If you're sea duty then you'll head to shore duty for perhaps 1-2 tours at different commands, maybe go to NPS, maybe do an IA, maybe resign and move on. Then you'll screen as an O-3 for DESRON N2 or O-4 for PHIBRON/Big Deck SIO to check the box for a sea duty deployment.

Mr. Nice! posted:

The windowless rooms just get a bit larger.

Also shim's description of an AF intel officer is pretty close to a navy intel officer, although the navy ones are a bit less jesusy in my experience. Maybe that's because sailors worship the sea alone because Poseidon doesn't give a gently caress what Yhwh is up to in the clouds.

Agree 100% with this. I only found senior Os as religious types, but not nearly the same as your average field grade AF O.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
Yes you’re being stupid for thinking that your half-participation in dumb hazing means you didn’t earn it. You were aboard for the ceremony so you’re a shellback.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

My heads too big to get stuck in a net.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
I'm NCF so every thing that happens here is it's own unicorn in a way, but I stayed enlisted versus going for supply or Intel partly because those cats here are definitely having a very bad time

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

Mr. Nice! posted:

I crossed the line in 2011. We did the ceremony a few weeks later. On my second pass through the ship-long gauntlet (king neptune did not accept me on pass one) I got my head stuck in a cargo net while trying to climb over some fenders. This was amidships on a DDG. This is right after I ripped open my coveralls, underwear, and rear end while scooting on nonskid singing the spongebob song while getting soaked by the topside chemical counterwash sprinklers on the forecastle. The combination of my head getting stuck in a cargo net plus the bleeding rear end made me say "gently caress this, this is loving stupid" very loudly, getting up, and walking back inside the skin of the ship. No one tried to stop me, and all of the people around seemed to understand. I went to my stateroom, took a shower, and threw my ripped clothes and favorite pair of sneakers that were now ruined overboard.

I got a little bit of poo poo from the wardroom for not finishing, but not much. A few sailors talked some poo poo as well, but after a bit of shittalking back nothing ever really came of it and life went on. Fast forward to last year. My mom decided that she was going to do something special for me and bought me one of those bigass framed certificates for crossing the line. It's sat in my closet since, because I personally don't think I should hang it up. I see it as similar to wearing an award I did not earn. She thinks I'm putting way too much thought into it and no one else would ever know or care.

I haven't actually asked other sailors what they think. Am I being an idiot for actually caring?

You played the games. Your ship sucks. Hang your certificate.

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

Mr. Nice! posted:

Put your mother's nice gift up and stop talking about our venerated rituals or you will anger the sea

Commoners
Apr 25, 2007

next time you have guests over and they see that I'm gonna burst out from whatever hiding spot i can find and tell them "He didn't actually EARN that certificate this man's entire life is fraud" and then they'll all stand up and clap for me and you'll have to leave.

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

Mr. Nice! posted:

I wouldn't hang it up, but then again things like HONOR, COURAGE, and COMMITMENT mean something to me you slimy wog.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

PneumonicBook posted:

I wouldn't hang it up, but then again things like HONOR, COURAGE, and COMMITMENT mean something to me you slimy wog.

Ah, I see your mind is also permanently poisoned.

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
Incredible lol at romanticizing anything about going to sea unless you're someone's mom giving them a lovely gift

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

I know it's dumb, but I feel like a liar if I do hang it. I might be a bit more broken than I realize.

Serjeant Buzfuz
Dec 5, 2009

I would just be embarrassed to try and explain wtf "crossing the line" is to someone who isn't a sailor.

If I walked into someone's house and they had a shellback cert proudly hanging on the wall I'd wonder about their sanity and self-respect IMO.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

Lou Takki posted:

I would just be embarrassed to try and explain wtf "crossing the line" is to someone who isn't a sailor.

If I walked into someone's house and they had a shellback cert proudly hanging on the wall I'd wonder about their sanity and self-respect IMO.

If someone explained to me that they had something stupid framed on their wall because their mother went to the trouble of framing it for them I'd totally understand.

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

Mr. Nice! posted:

Ah, I see your mind is also permanently poisoned.

For real though, you did it all, hang it up.

But only if you also hang up every piece of congratulatory paper the navy gave you, including letters of appreciation. People not familiar with the military will be amazed, everyone else will laugh hysterically. Win win!

Serjeant Buzfuz
Dec 5, 2009

McNally posted:

If someone explained to me that they had something stupid framed on their wall because their mother went to the trouble of framing it for them I'd totally understand.

Well, yeah. Coming from my Mother would make me think again about it.... Maybe post it in my work office not at home?

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Lou Takki posted:

Well, yeah. Coming from my Mother would make me think again about it.... Maybe post it in my work office not at home?

I was thinking about work office, personally, if I ever did put it up. I was just curious what other people thought. I have to actually find another job first, though.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
Yeah man it's the nice thing your mom did, put it up somewhere eventually

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

Lou Takki posted:

Mr. Nice! posted:

I was thinking about work office, personally, if I ever did put it up. I was just curious what other people thought. I have to actually find another job first, though.

People having a wall in their house that regular guest walk by with stuff like that is suspect; people hanging that stuff in an office is a-okay to me (I have a plaque the Mess I was accepted into hanging as well as the diplomas for my BA and MS in my home office).

Also just hang it, you pushed the ticket and took the ride.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
You crossed the loving line, get over it.

OTOH if you put a line crossing certificate on your wall you’re a doofus.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

I have certificates from lots of people's mothers on my wall, just hang it

Commoners
Apr 25, 2007

simplefish posted:

I have certificates from lots of people's mothers on my wall, just hang it

They're all so proud of their handsomest, young man in their lives

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia

To clarify, a lot of NFOs have MPRA or E2s as their big wishlist item, by the time we're done with initial flight training at VT-10 a typical class might have one or two guys/gals out of a class of 10-20 people that actually want jets but in quite a few classes maybe one or two people pick up those big slots, while everyone else gets shuffled to jets. The training environment with the jets is pretty meh, you have a high tempo of stuff to do, and the civilian and military instructors are mostly the kind of alpha bro dudes who don't do a whole lot to foster learning and do more to make students feel like crap. Coupled with the fact that one or two bad events can get you kicked out its not a fun place to be. On top of that, you also have most people in your class then panicking trying to get a Growler slot since according to a lot of the Hornet NFOs there not as good of a quality of life for them out in the fleet since a lot of pilots don't really see a need for them (owing to the fact the Hornet pilots train first as single seaters).

Of course, all that said they still are going to be able to fly in some really cool and badass planes, but I can understand it from the viewpoint of the guys who didn't really want to be there. Plus if there another OBOGs problem in the T-45 it'll mean more months of no training.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Argh the base Wendy’s is covered with newly arrived carrier sailors.

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

LingcodKilla posted:

Argh the base Wendy’s is covered with newly arrived carrier sailors.

Make those pinless swabbies call you petty officer and order one to get you a mcflurry. They're probably new enough to not know you're a reservist puke who deserves only scorn

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

Jimmy4400nav posted:

To clarify, a lot of NFOs have MPRA or E2s as their big wishlist item, by the time we're done with initial flight training at VT-10 a typical class might have one or two guys/gals out of a class of 10-20 people that actually want jets but in quite a few classes maybe one or two people pick up those big slots, while everyone else gets shuffled to jets. The training environment with the jets is pretty meh, you have a high tempo of stuff to do, and the civilian and military instructors are mostly the kind of alpha bro dudes who don't do a whole lot to foster learning and do more to make students feel like crap. Coupled with the fact that one or two bad events can get you kicked out its not a fun place to be. On top of that, you also have most people in your class then panicking trying to get a Growler slot since according to a lot of the Hornet NFOs there not as good of a quality of life for them out in the fleet since a lot of pilots don't really see a need for them (owing to the fact the Hornet pilots train first as single seaters).

Of course, all that said they still are going to be able to fly in some really cool and badass planes, but I can understand it from the viewpoint of the guys who didn't really want to be there. Plus if there another OBOGs problem in the T-45 it'll mean more months of no training.

It's more that your story conflicts with everything else I've ever heard over the last 15 years with respect to MPRA NFOs.