Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Trimson Grondag 3
Jul 1, 2007

Clapping Larry
a pile of shipping containers is at least designed to have the individual components stacked atop each other.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

so is turning old traincars into lovely diners not a thing that anyone does anymore or what

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Shame Boy posted:

so is turning old traincars into lovely diners not a thing that anyone does anymore or what

millenials are killing meals out!

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
no, see, we'll just build a massive frame of I-beams and place the cars and also the stairs on them. then nothing has to really stack, and also each apartment will be untethered from the main structure except for a few weld points on the floor

Shame Boy posted:

was anyone trying to build a mid-rise out of lovely diners?

infernal machines fucked around with this message at 05:14 on Jan 22, 2019

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

infernal machines posted:

why are you reposting an uncritical take on an obviously fake viral marketing stunt?

wait... never mind

i like that whoever made it up thinks that someone would explicitly say "on their Instagram story(tm)" instead of just "on instagram"

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
reminder that shipping containers are designed to be essentially disposable and using them for their intended purpose they churn

lol at using them for permanent building material

also they’re like 7’10” wide on the inside without any kind of insulation

seriously they’re pre-assembled shanties at best

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

FrozenVent posted:

reminder that shipping containers are designed to be essentially disposable and using them for their intended purpose they churn

lol at using them for permanent building material

also they’re like 7’10” wide on the inside without any kind of insulation

seriously they’re pre-assembled shanties at best

also the plywood floors are impregnated with chemicals that are designed to kill all bacteria, fungus, and life in general inside, so by the time you buy a container that's not rusted or dented, replace the floor, and add interior walls, you might as well have just bought corrugated steel sheet and some 4x4" sections and welded up on site

i'm not a big defender of shipping container houses. i just love the idea of living in an old star trek iv bart car.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Shame Boy posted:

i like that whoever made it up thinks that someone would explicitly say "on their Instagram story(tm)" instead of just "on instagram"

i like that the account was created the day the shutdown started and this is their first and only post

i love that one of the last posts in the reddit thread is the idiot who tweeted it asking the OP to DM him to confirm the story

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Shame Boy posted:

you do understand that they moved over to purpose built prefab buildings that just looked like railcars a good 100 years ago right

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

fishmech posted:

you do understand that they moved over to purpose built prefab buildings that just looked like railcars a good 100 years ago right

✓ tangentially related to the topic
✓ irrelevant to the point being made
✓ presented argumentatively

that's a fishmechin'!

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Sagebrush posted:

✓ tangentially related to the topic
✓ irrelevant to the point being made
✓ presented argumentatively

that's a fishmechin'!

nice meltdown

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

this discussion made me remember the lian li case that was a train and the upgraded version came with a length of track

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IHAE9KADYLA

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

infernal machines posted:

problem: our garbage rear end scooters are clogging up sidewalks and roadways, becoming e-waste because no one wants to haul around to find them and charge them for nickels a day

solution: using the magic of computers, make them drive themselves through busy streets and thoroughfares when no one is on them, like a roomba, but infinitely more likely to cause a traffic incident or kill a senior citizen.

great now we have to worry about electric scooters and bicycles going all “Firetruck!” too

jimmyjams
Jan 10, 2001

King Kong of Megadongs
Gobblin' them mega schlongs
Makin' sure they mega long
Stroke' 'em if they mega strong

fishmech posted:

nice meltdown

nice meltdown

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
Did I make it here in time to watch Fishmech and Canadian Professor Fishmech China Syndrome each other?

:ohdear:

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
wait, hold on, you can't tell me a fuckin' stack of railcars is going to stand up to a serious earthquake

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

wait, hold on, you can't tell me a fuckin' stack of railcars is going to stand up to a serious earthquake

My dude, have you ever read a little non-fiction book called Ready Player One?

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
Stack the train cars on top of each other in one of the most seismically active parts of the country. Do it. I loving dare you. It's what you deserve, Berkeley

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Schadenboner posted:

My dude, have you ever read a little non-fiction book called Ready Player One?

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

i don't think you could even stack them three deep without a superstructure expensive enough to obviate any savings or purpose gained from using them

unless they're being swapped out on the reg, like as prison cells arrayed in a tower like the double max holdings of butcher bay

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
I think Dahir Insaat honestly has a better take on apartment buildings than this

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

Celexi posted:

hey we could approve a high rise building but how about no lets stack up a bunch of old trains, disruptive
approving a high rise would mean a new building and new buildings mean luxury

therefore the only acceptable construction is of buildings that are decrepit before they finish

Spatial
Nov 15, 2007

there's a podcast about ready player one with the mst3k guy. it's p funny, the book is worse than you could possibly imagine

Dirk Pitt
Sep 14, 2007

haha yes, this feels good

Toilet Rascal

LanceHunter posted:

Yeah, Jerry Media definitely spent too much time jerking themselves off about how tremendous their Fyre promo video and social media campaign were (literally no one gave a flying gently caress about those orange squares). They never refuted the lie about how the island they were shooting that promo video on had belonged to Pablo Escobar, when in fact it was run by the significantly less famous/glamorous cocaine trafficker George Jung. Probably because they kept talking about that video as though it was some groundbreaking thing when it was on the level of a mediocre Sports Illustrated Swimsuit Issue behind-the-scenes doc.

From an event production standpoint the Netflix one was a little funny because they had a whole "ticking clock" element (with things like "21 days to Fyre" appearing on title cards) to try and raise tension, but by the time they even started there was so little time remaining it was impossible for them to pull off the event. Like, it was less time than Burning Man spends preparing their event, and they don't even provide anything but super-minimal infrastructure.

The Internet Historian Fyre Festival video is still the most informative out there (but also problematic as Historian is a bit of a channer shitlord) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UBPg5ftCMv8

But really, this tweet sums it up perfectly:

https://twitter.com/blanketboat/status/1086849463761612801

I chuckled pretty hard when watching the Hulu documentary and saw Aubrey loving McClendon, a man I sat in three meetings with in my time as a silverlight developer at Chesapeake Energy. that billy kid really learned to grift from the best.

still to this day my wife and I are not allowed to suggest to our family’s that Aubrey killed himself.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

fishmech posted:

nice meltdown

it checks out

but don't we all

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

mystes posted:

Self driving cars are like a kickstarter campaign. It's only fraud if they specifically intend to pocket the money without even pretending to try to work on what they're promising, and I'm sure they'll pay some guy to work on it. The fact that there's a 0 percent chance that they'll deliver on it seems to be beside the point for some reason.

mystes.org

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Spatial posted:

there's a podcast about ready player one with the mst3k guy. it's p funny, the book is worse than you could possibly imagine

372 pages we’ll never get back, it’s real good.

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

They do the oft-maligned sequel as well, which is so bad as to be a parody unto itself

e: that is, a parody unto a parody unto itself

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

You Am I posted:

The Marshal Law future is becoming real

:madmax:

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

Schadenboner posted:

372 pages we’ll never get back, it’s real good.

what’s the name of this podcast?

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider

Dirk Pitt posted:

I chuckled pretty hard when watching the Hulu documentary and saw Aubrey loving McClendon, a man I sat in three meetings with in my time as a silverlight developer at Chesapeake Energy. that billy kid really learned to grift from the best.

still to this day my wife and I are not allowed to suggest to our family’s that Aubrey killed himself.

why do your families care about this slimeball?

refleks
Nov 21, 2006

LanceHunter posted:

Yeah, Jerry Media definitely spent too much time jerking themselves off about how tremendous their Fyre promo video and social media campaign were (literally no one gave a flying gently caress about those orange squares). They never refuted the lie about how the island they were shooting that promo video on had belonged to Pablo Escobar, when in fact it was run by the significantly less famous/glamorous cocaine trafficker George Jung. Probably because they kept talking about that video as though it was some groundbreaking thing when it was on the level of a mediocre Sports Illustrated Swimsuit Issue behind-the-scenes doc.

From an event production standpoint the Netflix one was a little funny because they had a whole "ticking clock" element (with things like "21 days to Fyre" appearing on title cards) to try and raise tension, but by the time they even started there was so little time remaining it was impossible for them to pull off the event. Like, it was less time than Burning Man spends preparing their event, and they don't even provide anything but super-minimal infrastructure.

The Internet Historian Fyre Festival video is still the most informative out there (but also problematic as Historian is a bit of a channer shitlord) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UBPg5ftCMv8

But really, this tweet sums it up perfectly:

https://twitter.com/blanketboat/status/1086849463761612801

I really liked how they went all "how can you expect us to check if this venture we are closely working with is a scam or not?" but yeah... everything is basically peak social media marketing and people ENGAGING BRANDS and CREATING EXPERIENCES ONLINE and dumbassess falling for it.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

refleks posted:

I really liked how they went all "how can you expect us to check if this venture we are closely working with is a scam or not?" but yeah... everything is basically peak social media marketing and people ENGAGING BRANDS and CREATING EXPERIENCES ONLINE and dumbassess falling for it.

they had the class action plaintiff’s lawyer at the end cover that though - talent just has to say it’s an advertisement

refleks
Nov 21, 2006

hobbesmaster posted:

they had the class action plaintiff’s lawyer at the end cover that though - talent just has to say it’s an advertisement

Yeah, thats an excuse for all those INFLUENCERS, but what about the actual companies producing the video and the online campagins...

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

those are clearly ads though? and the guy ordering the messages to be sent is in prison?

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
I owe my brother big time for this!

FrozenVent posted:

what’s the name of this podcast?

372 pages we'll never get back

Dirk Pitt
Sep 14, 2007

haha yes, this feels good

Toilet Rascal

El_Elegante posted:

why do your families care about this slimeball?

they are Oklahoma City natives and Aubrey bought the goodwill of Oklahoma by being relatively generous. so every time we joke that Aubrey offed himself, my father in-law tells a tale about a friend of his who was always scared shitless riding in the car with Aubrey.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

necrotic posted:

372 pages we'll never get back

Don't sign your post history

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Wheany posted:

Don't sign your post history

slaaaam

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Shame Boy posted:

there's one cable car house and one train car diner left in sf, the diner will be gone in the next year or two

the bart thing is cute but it's dumb because the amount of work needed to turn those into housing is insane. it would be better to sell the cars cheap to people in the community and let them do stuff