Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sunken fleet
Apr 25, 2010

dreams of an unchanging future,
a today like yesterday,
a tomorrow like today.
Fallen Rib

T-man posted:

Can't have cops if you don't have a state.

:wrong:

as long as there are humans there's always gonna be some strong guy with a bigger stick telling everyone else what to do. Cops are pretty terrible but they're actually probably the least bad of the possible options

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

T-man posted:

Can't have cops if you don't have a state.
And what would the alternative be?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Fatty Crabcakes posted:

Peloponnesian city-states.

Serf
May 5, 2011

sunken fleet posted:

as long as there are humans there's always gonna be some strong guy with a bigger stick telling everyone else what to do. Cops are pretty terrible but they're actually probably the least bad of the possible options

you sure about that chief

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

sunken fleet posted:

I assume everyone who goes "there will always be a Master who will rule over the weak" is secretly into some DD/lg kink and/or the metaphorical stick is a dick. Which, y'know, you do you but I'm too much of an existentialist postmodern marxist to think that human nature is magically fixed like that.

e:

Fatty Crabcakes posted:

anarchist communes and lots of weed

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Fatty Crabcakes posted:

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

I think this puts it best

https://twitter.com/stavvybaby/status/1087532397359435783?s=19

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

zoux posted:

Alas that we only have the one lever to pull to influence foreign policy

One thing that everyone agrees is great for the environment is nuclear warfare

Dave Grool
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Can't have global warming if we have nuclear winter

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

If climate change is real, explain the stratospheric layer of atomized debris and earth that currently blots out the sun, destroying all civilization, libs.

TurkeyFried
Oct 9, 2012

:thunk:
A very sad Chinese story:

朣楢琴执㝧执瑩浻牡楧㩮㔱硰执㝧执獧浻牡楧敬瑦瀰絸朣杢㑳执獧扻捡杫潲湵潣潬㩲昣昸昸㬸慢正牧畯摮椭慭敧敷止瑩札慲楤湥楬敮牡氬晥潴敬瑦戠瑯潴牦浯㡦㡦㡦潴捥捥捥戻捡杫潲湵浩条㩥眭扥楫楬敮牡札慲楤湥潴昣昸昸攣散散戻捡杫潲湵浩条㩥洭穯氭湩慥牧摡敩瑮琨灯㡦㡦㡦捥捥捥㬩慢正牧畯摮椭慭敧獭氭湩慥牧摡敩瑮琨灯㡦㡦㡦捥捥捥㬩慢正牧畯摮椭慭敧楬敮牡札慲楤湥潴昣昸昸攣散散戻捡杫潲湵浩条㩥楬敮牡札慲楤湥潴昣昸昸攣散散汩整㩲牰杯摩䐺䥘慭敧牔湡晳牯楍牣獯景牧摡敩瑮猨慴瑲潃潬卲牴昣昸昸䔬摮潃潬卲牴攣散散㬩潢摲牥硰猠汯摩⌠㙣㙣㙣搻獩汰祡戺潬正潭潢摲牥爭摡畩㩳瀲㭸漭戭牯敤慲楤獵㈺硰敷止瑩戭牯敤慲楤獵㈺硰戻牯敤慲楤獵㈺硰执獧搴摻獩汰祡戺潬正瀻獯瑩潩㩮敲慬楴敶执獧搴筮楤灳慬㩹湩楬敮戭潬正漻敶晲潬

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Love too do centrism
https://twitter.com/ChrisCuomo/status/1087754145145208832

Wohl: I heard that Kamala Harris is uh a lizard person from the Killuminati
Cuomo: When will Harris address these shocking claims

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

sunken fleet posted:

People who say things like this think they’re really smart and have a sober understanding of the practical reality of whatever thing is being discussed but they’re actually brainless pieces of poo poo too stupid to contemplate anything other than an eternalized status quo, and enough of a rube to be convinced the truisms they repeat are actually natural law and not just backwards socially constructed consensus

Plus only a piece of poo poo idiot actually thinks everyone is bad and evil like them so we need more rapacious squads of wandering socially empowered bandits

TurkeyFried
Oct 9, 2012

:thunk:

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Frog Act posted:

People who say things like this think they’re really smart and have a sober understanding of the practical reality of whatever thing is being discussed but they’re actually brainless pieces of poo poo too stupid to contemplate anything other than an eternalized status quo, and enough of a rube to be convinced the truisms they repeat are actually natural law and not just backwards socially constructed consensus

Plus only a piece of poo poo idiot actually thinks everyone is bad and evil like them so we need more rapacious squads of wandering socially empowered bandits

These are the same people that 300 years ago would argue the only functional government has a king in them somewhere.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

How many societies have existed in which nobody ever decided "I want more than I have" and worked to take charge over other people?

The only one I know of was the Moriori of the Chatham Islands. They had an extremely pacifist culture because they were a small population in an area with limited food security, so they outlawed all forms of killing and war and learned to handle all aspects of life peacefully to avoid dying out from conflict.

Then in the 1830s the Maori sailed over and completely exterminated them.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

love 2 lovingly guide the jackboot onto my own neck

hyperhazard
Dec 4, 2011

I am the one lascivious
With magic potion niveous

MizPiz posted:

Sorry, but the CIA are the kings of MLK day this year

https://twitter.com/CIA/status/1087364695860727808?s=19

I agree that it's hilarious to see them praise MLK, but I'm not sure what their alternative is. Ignore it, while the other government agencies are posting tributes? That doesn't look good. Apologizing for their treatment of him? That would be awesome, but there's no way anyone would sign off on that. Posting a generic feel-good blurb is the lesser of the evils, brand-wise.

Professor of Cats
Mar 22, 2009

Frog Act posted:

Turn your Monitor on, etc etc.

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer
this entire account is insane

https://www.instagram.com/lex_j_432hz/

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Here's all you need to know about statism

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

sunken fleet posted:

This gets thoroughly disproven anytime a police force goes on strike or is otherwise effectively shutdown (like in the aftermath of severe natural disasters). The only "strong guy with a bigger stick" is the state.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

Frog Act posted:

So what stops the stateless society from becoming tribalism and then feudalism and then monarchy all over again this time?

E:

MizPiz posted:

This gets thoroughly disproven anytime a police force goes on strike or is otherwise effectively shutdown (like in the aftermath of severe natural disasters). The only "strong guy with a bigger stick" is the state.

This is some "it's cold outside so global warming isn't real" scope mishandling.

Professor of Cats
Mar 22, 2009

But can we at least agree that when a cop pulls over a person that is passing traffic by going into the bike lane, is good schadenfraude?

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Somfin posted:

So what stops the stateless society from becoming tribalism and then feudalism and then monarchy all over again this time?

E:

This is some "it's cold outside so global warming isn't real" scope mishandling.

Feudalism did not arise from lack of a state or tribalism what are you on about.

Feudalism arose specifically under the ward of a state in fact.

snergle
Aug 3, 2013

A kind little mouse!

is that steven king author and does he have brain worms? i get that its a misquoute but unless he is tpusa levels of trumpers the fbi or cia commenting about how they love mlk is going to remain the biggest :eyepop: of mlk day

Leavemywife posted:

What did she do that was so bad? A very quick scan of her Wiki page didn't yield anything useful.

female joe aripagio but in a higher position of power.

snergle has a new favorite as of 19:57 on Jan 22, 2019

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

snergle posted:

is that steven king author and does he have brain worms? i get that its a misquoute but unless he is tpusa levels of trumpers the fbi or cia commenting about how they love mlk is going to remain the biggest :eyepop: of mlk day

I think that's an elected representative, not Stephen King

snergle
Aug 3, 2013

A kind little mouse!

Serperoth posted:

I think that's an elected representative, not Stephen King

just googled him and jesus gently caress. Ok he wins

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
Did the FBI tweet this year? Because if so I have to give it to them by default considering they actually wrote him a letter telling him to kill himself

hyperhazard
Dec 4, 2011

I am the one lascivious
With magic potion niveous

There is a 99% chance this guy is a serial killer and a 100% chance he has a DeviantArt with people morphing into shoes.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

christmas boots posted:

Did the FBI tweet this year? Because if so I have to give it to them by default considering they actually wrote him a letter telling him to kill himself

They did in 2017.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

CharlestheHammer posted:

Feudalism did not arise from lack of a state or tribalism what are you on about.

Feudalism arose specifically under the ward of a state in fact.

You're right, feudalism was the wrong term. You think tribalism won't exist in a stateless society?

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

Somfin posted:

E:

By using macro-mutual aid system that provides people with a good standard of living and incentives the creation of non-hierarchical, egalitarian organizations in place of the government and private industry.

And if someone tries to reinstate a hierarchical system, then it means that they've volunteered to be made into a gruesome example by their community.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

snergle posted:

female joe aripagio but in a higher position of power.

Horror novelist Stephen King is just a boomer lib. Iowa congressman Steve King is the most openly racist person in national politics.

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

hyperhazard posted:

There is a 99% chance this guy is a serial killer and a 100% chance he has a DeviantArt with people morphing into shoes.

Didn't you hear? Serial killing is out. Violent weirdos are doing mass shootings now

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

MizPiz posted:

By using macro-mutual aid system that provides people with a good standard of living and incentives the creation of non-hierarchical, egalitarian organizations in place of the government and private industry.

And if someone tries to reinstate a hierarchical system, then it means that they've volunteered to be made into a gruesome example by their community.

Yeah, a big mistake people make is thinking that a stateless society doesn't condone violence. BIG mistake.

Seldom Posts
Jul 4, 2010

Grimey Drawer

CharlestheHammer posted:

These are the same people that 300 years ago would argue the only functional government has a king in them somewhere.

"Listen—I say that justice is nothing other than the advantage of the stronger."

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

I took a political test and it said I was a communist and I've been trying to process that.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
e: this discussion is dumb

Elysiume has a new favorite as of 20:18 on Jan 22, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Of all the dumbass derails in the history of this thread, trying to debate statism vs anarchism has got to be in the top ten.