Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

xzzy posted:

Also this reminds me, what's everyone's favorite repalm service?

Straight to Eagle directly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Just got back from my first real hockey league evaluation. I was expecting it to be like Rat Hockey, where I'm one of the worst 5 guys on the ice, but I was solidly in the middle of the pack. I find out which team I'm on later in the week. I'm really looking forward to this league! :dance:

YeehawMcKickass
Jan 2, 2003

WE WELCOME THE OPPRESSORS
I played like poo poo on Sunday night. Gave up two pretty bad goals. First was on a breakaway where it rattled around between my legs then trickled in. Second was another breakaway where I got the stop but directed the puck right behind the net for the opposition to grab it and bounce it in off my rear end cheek.

I know, “only two given up, the gently caress?”

It was on 9 total shots.

We won 5-2

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Only seeing 9 shots is probably tougher than seeing 30. Heck at that point you're basically cold in the crease.

YeehawMcKickass
Jan 2, 2003

Vargatron posted:

Only seeing 9 shots is probably tougher than seeing 30. Heck at that point you're basically cold in the crease.

Literally two shots in the second. I was pretty cold.

YeehawMcKickass
Jan 2, 2003

Speaking of pretty cold, I just got asked to tend an outdoor game tomorrow night. If it doesn’t get cancelled for snow storms, it’s supposed to be a bit under 30f out. Any recommendations on if I should add some base layers or not?

z0331
Oct 2, 2003

Holtby thy name

YeehawMcKickass posted:

Speaking of pretty cold, I just got asked to tend an outdoor game tomorrow night. If it doesn’t get cancelled for snow storms, it’s supposed to be a bit under 30f out. Any recommendations on if I should add some base layers or not?

Can you get some of those thermal workout clothes? Like sport tights and a long-sleeve shirt from Adidas or Under Armour or whatever? I've used a long sleeve shirt by itself just working out and was pretty hot so I feel like it would be enough under hockey gear if it's not like in the teens.

Maybe also a balaclava under your helmet - breathing heavily in really cold air for a while kind of sucks.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

xzzy posted:

Also this reminds me, what's everyone's favorite repalm service?

I looked into getting my Sherwoods repalmed, I'm just going to buy new gloves. Maybe they'll work better with this loving griptac poo poo.

I hate grip on sticks.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

sellouts posted:

Straight to Eagle directly.

I heard they do this, but I can't find anything on their site. Do you just use the contact form?

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

a mysterious cloak posted:

I hate grip on sticks.

I completely despise grip sticks, but it seems as if non-grip is a dying breed. I can never find right-handed non-grip sticks on sale. I had to resort to getting grip sticks this time and I hate it :( The True grip doesn't seem super sticky though, so it's somewhat bearable. The couple Easton grip sticks I had were like playing with football receiver gloves grabbing duct tape. It was terrible.

Henrik Zetterberg fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Jan 17, 2019

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Grip sticks are great.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
Just spray a light dusting of matte clear spray on your sticks and voila, no more grip.

As for outdoor games, 30 isn't cold, after warm-up it will feel like a normal game. I've never noticed any difference in comfort until temps got into the 20s/teens and it was mostly ears/toes. I'm from Michigan so I might be able to tolerate lower temps.

Wind will change things though

As for eagle, their palms are the best and you used to be able to order their palms and have any pro shop put them on any glove. It was magical.

They've since stopped selling their palms separately to shops and will only repalm eagle gloves themselves now. I'm pretty sure they don't accept other brand gloves to get the eagle palms.

Verman fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Jan 17, 2019

Jovial Cow
Sep 7, 2006

inherently good
A few years back I played a winter season at Lasker Rink in Central Park which are two outdoor rinks, there were numerous games where it was single digits at puck drop and all of the streets just act as wind tunnels so 80% of the time it was windy as hell, to the point where there were occasions that teams would switch sides half way through each period because the wind being with you was a huge advantage. You could literally hold out your arms and stand still and the wind would push you to the other side of the rink without having to take a stride on some nights.

Anyway, point is that even with single digits and brutal wind I would wear a long sleeve nike cold weather thermal compression layer, long compression pants and then just my normal gear and be fine. The first time I had a game in single digits I brought a ski gaiter to wear under my helmet, running gloves to wear under my hockey gloves, and then both the aforementioned thermal long sleeve plus a normal long sleeve. About a period into the game I was sweating my rear end of and basically ended up undoing most of my gear to take it off between the first and second anyway because I was boiling.

TL;DR you really won’t need much extra in 30 degree weather. Maybe wear a long sleeve compression layer instead of a tee, and compression pants instead of compression shorts, but you won’t need more. I’d also echo the toes are the coldest part bit so maybe slightly thicker socks if you currently wear really thin ones.

Jovial Cow fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Jan 17, 2019

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Played at a semi-indoor rink that was 24 degrees at the time the puck dropped on Monday night. Only my fingers and toes got cold. Fingers were only cold because I'd gotten a bunch of snow on the glove and it melting made the glove fingers cold and wet. I had a long sleeve base layer, but it wasn't thermal. It also really helps there's practically no wind.

Once I got moving it didn't really bother me other than breathing hard in cold air.

I gotta say though, that ice was pretty loving great.

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

In the grim darkness of the future there is only Oakley.

Doctor Butts posted:

Played at a semi-indoor rink that was 24 degrees at the time the puck dropped on Monday night. Only my fingers and toes got cold. Fingers were only cold because I'd gotten a bunch of snow on the glove and it melting made the glove fingers cold and wet. I had a long sleeve base layer, but it wasn't thermal. It also really helps there's practically no wind.

Once I got moving it didn't really bother me other than breathing hard in cold air.

I gotta say though, that ice was pretty loving great.

I saw this and was completely confused. Then I realized it was not celsius.

Bradf0rd
Jun 16, 2008

Agent of Chaos

YeehawMcKickass posted:

As a goalie who has played outdoors, I didn't go any different on base layers and gloves until around 20F. Assuming you're moving a bunch, it'll be like a normal game.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

I'd love to play an outdoor game but I live in the South so that poo poo's not happening unless I travel for the winter.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."

Vargatron posted:

I'd love to play an outdoor game but I live in the South so that poo poo's not happening unless I travel for the winter.

They can do outdoor ice in the winter in the south, Nashville has a little 3v3 size outdoor rink right now.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

xzzy posted:

I heard they do this, but I can't find anything on their site. Do you just use the contact form?

Yeah I emailed them and they responded.

YeehawMcKickass
Jan 2, 2003

Bradf0rd posted:

As a goalie who has played outdoors, I didn't go any different on base layers and gloves until around 20F. Assuming you're moving a bunch, it'll be like a normal game.

Seems about right. Forecast for during the game is 29-30 degrees, snow, winds at 10-15mph. The rink itself is in the middle of a circle of bildings. (Parkway Bank Park in Rosemont IL, if anyone wants to look it up)

DuoGodOfDeath
Feb 20, 2007
Does anyone know of any inline rinks near the DC/VA area? Been looking for a while and the only thing I can find is maybe 2 outdoor rinks that seem to be for street hockey.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug
How far are you looking to travel? I have a few friends who played roller hockey in that area but it may be places like Laurel, etc. I'll ask them if they have any suggestions.

YeehawMcKickass
Jan 2, 2003

Outdoor game report:

Two 30 minute run time periods.
5-4 Win in the single dumbest ice hockey conditions I've had the pleasure of playing in.
Temps never dropped below 28 and wind wasn't really a factor, so normal long sleeve shirt and compression pants were plenty for warmth. Only thing on me that got cold was my toes.

The snow storms predicted in the area kicked in exactly five minutes before game time, and all semblance of a traditional beer league hockey game went out the window. By the time the puck dropped, we had an inch or so of snow coating the surface. Add in the practically non existent lines in the first place and people were going offsides constantly because they weren't looking to the sides for the blue lines. Stick handling didn't EXIST in this game and icing the puck was impossible. It was more like field hockey or soccer. You had to dump the puck ahead 5-7 feet, skate to it, and repeat to get anywhere. If you tried to carry, you just built up a huge mound of snow and buried the puck as you skated past it.

The puck was incredibly hard to track for everyone. Players would lose it in a pile of snow on occasion, overskating the puck was a constant thing, refs had a hard time discerning if the puck had moved. Not only could I not see the puck coming off of a stick on shits, I couldn't see the blade of the stick through all the snow. Luckily the snow caused a ton of misfires. There was probably a few inches of powder on the ice by the end of the first.

They tried to Zam the ice between periods to clear away a bit of snow. That failed miserably. The thing got jammed up so many times that both teams and the refs just grabbed a ton of shovels to manually clear the ice of snow. We couldn't clear the whole ice, and by the time the second period started back up the snow was still falling fast enough to just jam everything up again.

Refs were horrible aside from offsides calls. One of the goals against involved a skater from the opposing team physically picking up the puck from his defensive goal line, skating with it in hand to the defensive blue line, dropping it, then skating in for a score. Clearly no shits were given. Goals against were giant clouds of snow shots, the should have been disallowed breakaway, and net swarming.

I'd been warned by several people that tracking the puck above the boards could get difficult to impossible, but it was opposite day thanks to the snow. I could easily see anything aerial and snag it out of the air. So could skaters, so the best passes ended up being low saucer style.

All in all, I had a smile on my face the whole time and I'd do that again in a heartbeat. Have a post game team picture. I look like a moron. Yes, I tend with my glasses on.

Now I get to tend a normal rear end game at 10:50.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

First game outdoors?

YeehawMcKickass
Jan 2, 2003

sellouts posted:

First game outdoors?

Yes.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005

Thats a poo poo ton of snow on the ice, guessing even after shoveling.

Had a game like that at my last outdoor tourney, it was snowing so hard you could only see the puck moving under the snow because of the rooster tail it shot up. Everyone was over skating it, everyone ended up shoveling halfway through the game. Its better than rain I guess.

I'm very excited our outdoor tournament is this weekend. I just spent a week in Hawaii and will now be spending a weekend in the snowy mountains, then next week going to florida. My body is going to get weather confused.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I think I'd rather skate in that than the weather we got tonight!

YeehawMcKickass
Jan 2, 2003

Verman posted:

Thats a poo poo ton of snow on the ice, guessing even after shoveling.

The shoveling happened about 35 minutes before that. Snow slowed down a little before the end of the game, but still.

xzzy posted:

I think I'd rather skate in that than the weather we got tonight!

It was super fun and I can wholeheartedly say if you should take the chance if you get it.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
I forgot about my broken skate until a few hours before my game last night, rushed to the shop to get the new pair naked and sharpened.

I know you’re supposed to wait 24 hours after baking to skate on them but I didn’t really have a choice. I ended up putting the skates in the freezer for 2 hours before the game to try and solidify everything.

I skated better then I have in a while, guess I’m retiring the old skates anyway.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

I scored 2 goals in the first 10 minutes of Rat Hockey today, then sucked for the other 80 minutes. I'll take it.

Tank44
Jun 13, 2005

We want the ball & We're going to score

Verman posted:

I'm very excited our outdoor tournament is this weekend. I just spent a week in Hawaii and will now be spending a weekend in the snowy mountains, then next week going to florida. My body is going to get weather confused.

#MeToo...

Was in Brazil last week, Winthrop outdoor tourney this weekend. Then cabo right after. Beer at Carlos'?

Verman
Jul 4, 2005

Tank44 posted:

Beer at Carlos'?

You have a hot tub that needs to lose 2 feet of water again?

I'm in.

Our game times this year actually aren't too bad. We also have one big place we're all staying in and we're bringing a smaller team (10 skaters plus goalie).

Game (1) - Friday 2:40 pm
Game (2) - Saturday 9:40 am
Game (3) - Saturday 6:50 pm
Game (4) - depends on performance

Tank44
Jun 13, 2005

We want the ball & We're going to score
Staying at same place and have a good schedule too.

Game (1) - Friday 11:10 pm
Game (2) - Friday 7:10pm
Game (3) - Saturday 3:20 pm
Game (4) - depends on performance sat 9pm or sun 945am.

Bootcha
Nov 13, 2012

Truly, the pinnacle of goaltending
Grimey Drawer
So, this happened:

quote:

“The 2nd game players were very irritated as I stood by the locker room doors and told them they could not take a shower. The player in the front of the forming line was not going to take no for an answer and he forced his way in asking a player getting suited up if the shower could be used. The player getting suited up said yes as the guy was already halfway to the shower anyway. The line just followed him in at that point. There was nothing I could do short of physically grabbing the guy with one foot in the shower and blocking the rest of them. As said, they were already irritated so it was best to let it go and not start a big argument. The situation we did not want happened. There were 2nd game players in the locker room after all the 3rd game players were on the ice. If they wanted to, they could have gone through bags and pilfered items without detection.

I had made a sign which says players using the curtained area will not have shower access, however the sign was not up in time. If we want to deny access to the showers Thursday night and in the future, we should probably point out the sign to each and every player arriving and going to the curtains.

This is the second time I’ve seen this happen, although the first time was not so many irritated guys. Not sure how they developed the mob mentality tonight. Robert spoke to them before I did but I understand that he was telling them that I was looking into it, which was right, that’s when I was speaking to you by phone.”

Context:

A-Leaguers (highest non-invite skill level in Austin) wanted to shower. It's suspected by the rest of the league they are also the guys that have been making GBS threads in the bushes and leaving broken beer bottles in the parking lot.

Basically A-Leaguers ruin everything.

Bootcha fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Jan 25, 2019

z0331
Oct 2, 2003

Holtby thy name
Finally figured out how to feel comfortable with tight turns - go to public skate and just do them for like 30 minutes, then play two games in a row. By the second game my turning felt amazing. I even felt OK turning back away from a forechecker in my d-zone, which I almost never do because I practically assume they'll strip the puck from me.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Bootcha posted:

So, this happened:

Context:

A-Leaguers (highest non-invite skill level in Austin) wanted to shower. It's suspected by the rest of the league they are also the guys that have been making GBS threads in the bushes and leaving broken beer bottles in the parking lot.

Basically A-Leaguers ruin everything.

I've never understood this obsession with using locker room showers. Those things are loving gross and I'll just shower at home.

drizzle
Jul 7, 2004

The world is a fine place and worth the fighting for and I hate very much to leave it.
Dunno if I would really call good hygiene an obsession but ok

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

drizzle posted:

Dunno if I would really call good hygiene an obsession but ok

Dude you really think there’s better hygiene in those showers vs a short drive home to shower?

Only time I use em is when we are at the nicer rink and I’m going out after an early game.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

+1 to the hop in the shower at home crew.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drizzle
Jul 7, 2004

The world is a fine place and worth the fighting for and I hate very much to leave it.
Are you guys rolling around on the floor or something. You are supposed to use sandals