Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

I really want Noob and Shang Tsung back tbh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

also shang tsung??

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

if we're talkin' time travel shenanigans I can't see how Noob "Bi-Han, the first Sub-Zero" Saibot is missing from this outing

Revealing that Noob was actually the first rear end in a top hat Sub-Zero in Deception is still the coolest revelation in the MK lore

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

Friends Are Evil posted:

You all joke, but the way NRS has been going, if they revise Drahmin a bit, he could actually be a cool gross fighter.

I'd be very hard-pressed to say "_____ should never come back" because they've already shown that no character is married to their original concepts, and the gameplay has so vastly improved that they HAVE to be reworked in that aspect as well.

So at the same time, since they can redo an old character and make them completely different, they don't necessarily have to give characters a second chance and just make up new ones (Why bring back Nitara when you can create D'Vorah? Why bring back Mavado when you can create Takeda? etc). It all depends on what kind of fondness you have for Hsu Hao and Kai and poo poo like that, where you want to see them be reworked.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

I liked: Kobra, Kira, Havik, Ashrah, Li Mei, Mavado, Nitara, Frost

Li Mei's specials and fatalities were good (one was Fist of the North Star!) I used her a lot while playing, and I'd like to see them continue with her redesign from MKX story mode and give her a fighting outfit. Nitara had the cool vampire gain back health mechanic.

Any of those characters returning for MK11 would be good. I'd weight my preference towards the latter 4.

Jerkface fucked around with this message at 07:57 on Jan 22, 2019

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
I wish i had an opinion on these bad 3d era characters, but I only played deadly alliance and boraicho is the only character i remember from that era

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

I just thought or something I haven't thought about in like 20 years. When I was in middle school I wrote Daniel Pesina a letter care of the gym all those MK guys trained at and he actually wrote back. I'm a bit hazy on the timeline of whether it was in the MK1 or MK2 era but I asked whether either Reptile or Smoke had a backstory or whether he was just an easter egg and I got a letter back with a signed MK trading card saying he was just an easter egg for now and he'd get a story later.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

Kurtofan posted:

I wish i had an opinion on these bad 3d era characters, but I only played deadly alliance and boraicho is the only character i remember from that era

I was extremely disappointed that they had an opportunity to overhaul Pukey Doodooman, but decided he should continue to be a Tattoo Assassins reject anyway.

My only hope is that it's not canon because he was a DLC character, and if he does return proper, they'll seriously reconsider doing something interesting with him.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

They should bring back mokap

Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~
I have never played any of the console only MKs and I don't believe I've missed much.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Jamesman posted:

I was extremely disappointed that they had an opportunity to overhaul Pukey Doodooman, but decided he should continue to be a Tattoo Assassins reject anyway.

My only hope is that it's not canon because he was a DLC character, and if he does return proper, they'll seriously reconsider doing something interesting with him.

he was in Story Mode for MKX so he's canon af. it's funny considering how he trained Kung Lao/Liu Kang and is legit strong as poo poo but is not allowed to participate in Mortal Kombat due to his residency in Outworld, so technically he would have represented the opposing faction.

Broose
Oct 28, 2007
Doomguy or no buy.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

DLC Inc posted:

he was in Story Mode for MKX so he's canon af. it's funny considering how he trained Kung Lao/Liu Kang and is legit strong as poo poo but is not allowed to participate in Mortal Kombat due to his residency in Outworld, so technically he would have represented the opposing faction.

The character is canon, yes, but he didn't fight Shinnok with his fart powers, so I'm hoping they don't feel committed to going that route with him if he's ever a bigger part of the new games beyond DLC.

It's a very small amount of hope. Please let me cling to it.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

In a climactic showdown that will determine the fate of all Earthrealm, Mortal Kombat 11 ends with a lengthy courtroom battle over Outworld zoning laws and procedural tournament regulations.

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

Is your refrigerator running?

exquisite tea posted:

In a climactic showdown that will determine the fate of all Earthrealm, Mortal Kombat 11 ends with a lengthy courtroom battle over Outworld zoning laws and procedural tournament regulations.

The courtroom battle still involves swords somehow

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

Raiden Wins: Technicality.

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa
Considering they're doing celebrity voice casting now, I want them to not only bring back Shang Tsung, but finally do what they should have done ages ago and get James Hong to voice him.

EDIT:

DLC Inc posted:

I haven't played X's story mode in ages. Did they explicitly say that? Because, you know, Kano is definitely from Earthrealm, and Shang Tsung probably is unless they've retconned it again, and they've both fought for Outworld. Not to mention Quan Chi joining in during 9's story mode, plus at various points in time the Ninja and Cyborgs.

RoboChrist 9000 fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Jan 22, 2019

HMS Beagle
Feb 13, 2009

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

Considering they're doing celebrity voice casting now, I want them to not only bring back Shang Tsung, but finally do what they should have done ages ago and get James Hong to voice him.

EDIT:

I haven't played X's story mode in ages. Did they explicitly say that? Because, you know, Kano is definitely from Earthrealm, and Shang Tsung probably is unless they've retconned it again, and they've both fought for Outworld. Not to mention Quan Chi joining in during 9's story mode, plus at various points in time the Ninja and Cyborgs.

I think it comes up in DA or Deception, but the actual rules of the tournament have been hazy. I think the idea is that someone from Earthrealm has to defeat Goro to stop the takeover. So Sub-Zero could be the last man standing and they go "whelp, I'm not fighting Goro" and Outworld wins by default. Goro says he wasn't expecting to fight in MK9. We need Gavok back, he's the loremaster.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

james hong shang tsung would be too powerful

HMS Beagle
Feb 13, 2009

Babe Magnet posted:

james hong shang tsung would be too powerful

Get back Cary-Hiroyuki Tagawa back for Shang Tsung. Give me an "It Has Begun" at the beginning of every fight.

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa
Por que no dos? Hong as Lo Pan/Old Man Tsung, and Tagawa for young Tsung.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

DLC Inc posted:

if we're talkin' time travel shenanigans I can't see how Noob "Bi-Han, the first Sub-Zero" Saibot is missing from this outing

Revealing that Noob was actually the first rear end in a top hat Sub-Zero in Deception is still the coolest revelation in the MK lore

Fun fact: That was actually my doing.

Back in the day, after Deadly Alliance came out, I wrote up this massive MK plot canon FAQ. I stopped updating it a few years later once I got locked out of my Gamefaqs account, but it was extremely extensive and detailed about every character, race, faction, realm, etc. One day John Vogel, the guy who was in charge of the storyline stuff, emailed me to compliment the FAQ and tell me that I nailed the accuracy on stuff.

While talking to him back and forth, I mentioned this theory I had that Noob Saibot was to the first Sub-Zero's undead form, like he was the same kind of being as Scorpion. There were hints like how Noob was revealed to be Shinnok's henchman, but there were no mentions of him in MK Mythologies. In MK4, Noob wore the same kind of skull mask as Scorpion and one of his Fatalities was copied from Sub-Zero, down to the use of ice. It would give context to his ninja appearance.

Vogel said that that was a great idea, but legally they couldn't use that since it was coming from me, a fan. I understood. Then he got back to me and said that technically, I was just pointing something out and not telling him my ideas. He said he wanted to run a version of that concept to Boon and see what he thought.

Then Deception came out and there it was.

HMS Beagle posted:

I think it comes up in DA or Deception, but the actual rules of the tournament have been hazy. I think the idea is that someone from Earthrealm has to defeat Goro to stop the takeover. So Sub-Zero could be the last man standing and they go "whelp, I'm not fighting Goro" and Outworld wins by default. Goro says he wasn't expecting to fight in MK9. We need Gavok back, he's the loremaster.

That sounds about right.

Grey Fox
Jan 5, 2004

Vakal posted:

I think ID software stuff is owned by Zenimax these days.

So any guest DLC would have to be pulled from something WB owns in this list: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Warner_Bros._franchises

Fingers crossed for Captain Planet.
voting Wesley Snipes playing Blade

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Gavok posted:

Fun fact: That was actually my doing.

Back in the day, after Deadly Alliance came out, I wrote up this massive MK plot canon FAQ. I stopped updating it a few years later once I got locked out of my Gamefaqs account, but it was extremely extensive and detailed about every character, race, faction, realm, etc. One day John Vogel, the guy who was in charge of the storyline stuff, emailed me to compliment the FAQ and tell me that I nailed the accuracy on stuff.

While talking to him back and forth, I mentioned this theory I had that Noob Saibot was to the first Sub-Zero's undead form, like he was the same kind of being as Scorpion. There were hints like how Noob was revealed to be Shinnok's henchman, but there were no mentions of him in MK Mythologies. In MK4, Noob wore the same kind of skull mask as Scorpion and one of his Fatalities was copied from Sub-Zero, down to the use of ice. It would give context to his ninja appearance.

Vogel said that that was a great idea, but legally they couldn't use that since it was coming from me, a fan. I understood. Then he got back to me and said that technically, I was just pointing something out and not telling him my ideas. He said he wanted to run a version of that concept to Boon and see what he thought.

Then Deception came out and there it was.

holy poo poo this is awesome. what a great way to take several little details they never thought of and incorporate them as an official thing. makes sense since I was certain they didn't come up with the "noob is bi-han" thing until later on and like you said, all the puzzle pieces were there to put in place.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

Mortal Kombat is like wrestling. Goro is World Champion, Shang Tsung is General Manager, and Shao Khan is Chairman.

Liu Kang is Stone Cold Steve Austin.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Liu Kang's descent into loving madness over Raiden's bumbling poo poo is great. The trajectory from the do-gooder boy scout to saying "gently caress this poo poo" and getting damned in hell in MK9/X was a great way to give his character more pathos. Though that being said I really am liking his "dragon kid" outfit seen in the trailer.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Ketchup and Mustard have been posting detailed breakdowns of the revealed characters:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-154zuKMe4M

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wPVAGBkD3Wo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aJlAAsEcqYg

epic Kingdom Hearts LP
Feb 17, 2006

What a shame
I'm interested in using a controller with this game on PC. Is there a consensus on what the best one is?

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

This might be the first MK where I try to main Scorpion.

epic Kingdom Hearts LP posted:

I'm interested in using a controller with this game on PC. Is there a consensus on what the best one is?

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
So the game's going all-in on Subby using an axe this time. One of his customization slots is what his ice axe looks like.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Secret mode details....one might be a fabled HD remake of MK1, the other looks like the Krypt

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_5_SFs9FpVM

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

beyond hyped for HD MK1

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Jamesman posted:

Mortal Kombat is like wrestling. Goro is World Champion, Shang Tsung is General Manager, and Shao Khan is Chairman.

Liu Kang is Stone Cold Steve Austin.

Goro is the Brock Lesnar of Mortal Kombat. Only fights once every generation, goes 500 years undefeated, only puts over the boring chosen one hero.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Wouldn't that just be the first third of MK9?

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

Technowolf posted:

Wouldn't that just be the first third of MK9?

Yes, but that's the only one with a proper Mortal Kombat tournament. MK2 is a new challenge with a "winner take all" stipulation being offered by Outworld, and Raiden and company are enticed to accept by the assault on the Shaolin temple.

Then MK3 is just all-out invasion to eliminate any opposition as Khan prepares to merge the realms. When he does, that violates the rules of the Mortal Kombat tournament agreement, and therefore the Elder Gods finally intervene.

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

They should just go nuts with celebrity voices and give everyone a skin like Jax’s Carl Weathers skin in X

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax
Art Lean skin for Geras

Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~

epic Kingdom Hearts LP posted:

Xbox One controller, no contest.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

DLC Inc posted:

Secret mode details....one might be a fabled HD remake of MK1, the other looks like the Krypt

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_5_SFs9FpVM

I watched a youtube of some behind the scenes footage featuring the actors from Mortal Kombat 1 and it’s totally insane how after a few takes they’ll just snap into the iconic pose you recognize from the games. If MK11 came with an HD remake of 1 and netplay I might just favor that (Sonya OP).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!

ROFL Octopus posted:

They should just go nuts with celebrity voices and give everyone a skin like Jax’s Carl Weathers skin in X

I would love to see them do dumb things instead of just action and horror movie guys. Though that Carl Weathers was pretty great.

Requesting Hangover DLC. It's a WB property.

Bradley Cooper as Cage, Zach Galifianakis as Stryker, Ken Jeong as Raiden and Ed Helms in drag as Sonya.

Attack on Princess fucked around with this message at 14:40 on Jan 23, 2019