Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: GhostofJohnMuir)

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

exmarx posted:

this hbomberguy twitch stream is incredible lol. real gamemaster anthony's party poo poo

is that the cortez twitch or the other one twitter found tonight, that went around harassing women

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.
the former

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

only worse.
reading the, animorphs forum

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

whats ur insanity meter at? mine's at 69%

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

R. Mute posted:

whats ur insanity meter at? mine's at 69%

mine is deep fried

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

my god, my ex-brother-in-law is such a humongous piece of poo poo. wanna powerbomb him off a cliff.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

exmarx posted:

praxis.txt

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

exmarx posted:

Tbf I wouldn't call animorphs stunningly Marxist except I just remembered most of the good aliens are collectivist, or at least the one made out of blades was

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
The main God of animorphs is also literally a gamer, and causes the extinction of his species because of it

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

only worse.

Mature Reboot-What it might involve (Read 444 times) posted:

I highly doubt there would ever been a reboot of the series for the fans who since grown up, the relaunch failed and somehow I don't think KA is interested in the series anymore. That said if I had a magic wand and could make it happen here is what I think a reboot would involve, some good things some bad.

The good:
1. Older characters from the start. The characters were around 13 in the first book I think a reboot would have them be 17-19 as people of that age have more dramatic options open for them.

2. A focus on sexuality: The two main romantic sub-plots of Cassie/Jake and Rachel/Tobias were left for the most part at Disney Channel level action maybe once or twice creeping up to ABC Family levels. A mature reboot would necessarily go all out on how physical the characters got but I think "fade to black" moments would be almost a certainty. You don't stick healthy teenagers in high stress situations, have them have to rely on each other to live or die and have them not get ideas.

If it was done tastefully it could really add to the characters. For instance I'd see Rachel as the one to instigate things with Tobias, hell maybe even have a reverse of the classic "he wants to go all the way, she wants to wait" story line (a story line that I'd love to see done even if not in the Animorphs) while Cassie and Jake would more likely "just happen." One of them would be comforting the other after a particularly grisly battle and one thing would lead to another.

3. Drug use and possible addiction: since the Animorphs were younger in the original books I think their access to drugs and alcohol would have been limited. Older characters would likely already have had an illicit drink or two and its not hard to find harder stuff if your willing to look at most high schools. The stress of their new lives could very well lead a few of them to seek solace in self medication. Its also possible one or more of their parental units would have them put on medication once the night terrors began.

4. More focus on technology: In the late 90s the internet was still more or less a cool side show to start a plot line, it hadn't become as crucial to our lives. Now every Animorph would have been on facebook and twitter and every morph and demorph would be risky since you never know when some airhead with a camera phone (which is every airhead in the country now) might catch them. They would enjoy a brief spat of youtube fame before they were infested (and worse, demonitzied).

5. This is more a personal preference but Rachel could not die and we could avoid the ruddy "ram the bladeship" ending.

6. There's a chance there could be a few funny moments when the Animorphs infiltrate a "furry" convention.

The Bad:

1. Forced retcons for "diversity:" right now there is a bit of a cult movement in YA literature around having diverse casts, Animorphs was racially diverse from the get go and took a fairly colorblind approach to it. That approach is now considered tantamount to bigotry in some circles, many people would demand that the characters ethnicity become a bigger part of their character. Marco would become an undocumented immigrant, Cassie would become a constant victim of profiling, Jake and Rachel would deal with antisemitism. One or more of the characters would be rewritten as bi or gay and any objection to these changes would be shouted down as bigotry.

It's important to note a key word in the above point "forced:" focusing more on the identity of the characters and how their religion and race mold them isn't always a bad thing but its nearly impossible to do without seeming like your forcing it and derailing the main plot for a PSA on whatever pet political cause in en-vogue at the moment.

2. An overly political focus: KA and her ghost writers got political in a few books and those were generally low points in the cannon. Today's world is so hyper politicized that some people demand celebrities and artists who just want to create art take a stand on various issues, even though many already do so without being asked. People looking for an edgier retelling of their favorite book might find themselves subjected to a 300 page screed on why the filibuster is bad.

3. Getting too edgy:
While taking a look at some more mature topics would be good there is always the risk of taking it too far and winding up a Riverdale like bastardization of the source material (pleas note, I'm saying Riverdale is bad, I've never seen it, but it's a far cry from the original comics). Instead of having Rachel and Tobias having a physical relationship we'd have Rachel getting pregnant and getting an abortion, instead of having a few of the Animorphs taking solace in booze or dope we'd have Marco almost overdose on black tar heroin in a bad part of town.

Those are my thoughts at least, feel free to disagree with me as I am far from infallible. What do you guys think would be a part of a more mature reboot? How do you think the characters will change? How will the they stay the same? How much of a change would you expect in the series.

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
animorphs: after dark

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
also didn't the animorphs lady write a more mature-themed series featuring older teenagers

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

i hate this person

The Muppets On PCP posted:

also didn't the animorphs lady write a more mature-themed series featuring older teenagers

its called remnants and it was really really weird

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
https://twitter.com/williamhanson/status/1087106064858972160

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

mandatory lesbian posted:

i hate this person

its called remnants and it was really really weird

she also did an isekai series. at a certain point they teach mythological aliens how to use gunpowder. eventually they teach celtic faeries capitalism

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

I only read like one Animorphs book but this person is otherwise garbage.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
While I was out hubby looked into the yard just in time to see old mate drop a log, stand up, wipe his rear end with a hanky, then go to leave. He confronted the man and was told ‘I thought it was just scrub’. The place he thought was a bush dunny was right between our ride on and a wood pallet with an esky on it, across from a fire pit and less then 5m from the chook pen. There is a clear view to that area from our very obvious house and very big glass doors. My 8 year old son witnessed it too.

the paradigm shift
Jan 18, 2006

https://twitter.com/natalie_allison/status/1087412997067280384
https://twitter.com/natalie_allison/status/1087414453178716161
https://twitter.com/natalie_allison/status/1087419702291369984

rev barber is the best

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

only worse.
yeah https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mg63AYzPwN0

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

only worse.

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

a beautiful, soft meat sack
Clapping Larry
Hell, yeah.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

she also did an isekai series. at a certain point they teach mythological aliens how to use gunpowder. eventually they teach celtic faeries capitalism

Lol that owns

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

the oldest trick in the book

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
This forum and its fyad lite are the worst goddamn poo poo on the planet

the paradigm shift
Jan 18, 2006

ArfJason posted:

I hear Idiocracy is a documentary

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

Clapping Larry
That duck is good however.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

the paradigm shift posted:

I hear Idiocracy is a documentary

Not really a surprise, given whats going on with the world.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

ArfJason posted:

Please point out on this doll where the CSPAM mods touched you.

the paradigm shift
Jan 18, 2006

ArfJason posted:

Not really a surprise, given whats going on with the world.

still pretty funny how you got so mad at cspam you went chain probing people for old fyad posts

lmao that's the level of chill I expect though

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
Hella mad atm

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

Clapping Larry
Did I miss something funny?

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
i've never actually looked into cspam

what's it like?

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
after seeing the new poll showing any no name democratic politician outpolls 60-40 i'm beginning to understand the insane clown car that's forming for the 2020 primaries

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
i'm ready for elon musk's stainless steel starship

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

i've never actually looked into cspam

what's it like?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YhEs9KUQ4qo

The Muppets On PCP