Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Stereotype posted:

Boomers were told that they could do anything and then had everything handed to them and now they are all cocky smug gullible idiots
Gen-X were told they could do anything, had nothing given to them, then were roundly criticized by Boomers for doing worse them and grew cynical
Millenials had the same treatment as Gen-X, but also had more perspective seeing how Gen-Xers were treated and are now basically like "cool gently caress u boomers" and live nomadic lifestyles moving from job to job and city to city waiting for the world to die
Gen-Z is probably going to be just constantly sarcastic after Millenials told them about how hosed they are.
Thats it, there won't be any more generations because the earth is dying.

I don't think that millennials gained perspective from gen-x getting shafted as much as the millennials' access to the internet allowed them to see that people were getting systematically shafted by the boomers in ways that Gen-X could not.

Gen X largely only had their experiences, their close friends, and pop culture (which was mostly kept to a sufficiently boomer-friendly tone by the boomers in management positions of media outlets). A millennial on the other hand grew up in a time where with a few taps or clicks they could commiserate with people who were dealing with the same poo poo and could see that things are actually pretty lovely everywhere, not just here.

There is a transformative power in realizing that whatever you are dealing with isn't just your fault or a local thing. Being alone makes you want to give up and withdraw, being part of a group encourages you.

Edit: tax

Shifty Pony fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Jan 23, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

way too loving late lmao

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

KickerOfMice posted:

So if buzzfeed's not full of poo poo with that story, I just wonder, why would a person choose buzzfeed to publish it? Aren't they known more for (like the lame two-thirds of HuffPo) top-ten lists and goofy puff articles, than granite-hard news?

You go back and read Lord of the Rings this instant! No XBOX until you finish your homework!

They broke the Steele dossier story first if I recall correctly

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Do a book report on a book no ones actually read and just make the story up wholesale.

I once wrote out a large portion of Secret of Mana as an original story we had to write in the 7th or 8th grade. I hedged my bets that the old teacher wouldn't be familiar with an early SNES RPG.

VH4Ever
Oct 1, 2005

by sebmojo

Shifty Pony posted:

I don't think that millennials gained perspective from gen-x getting shafted as much as the millennials' access to the internet allowed them to see that people were getting systematically shafted by the boomers in ways that Gen-X could not.

Gen X largely only had their experiences, their close friends, and pop culture (which was mostly kept to a sufficiently boomer-friendly tone by the boomers in management positions of media outlets). A millennial on the other hand grew up in a time where with a few taps or clicks they could commiserate with people who were dealing with the same poo poo and could see that things are actually pretty lovely everywhere, not just here.

There is a transformative power in realizing that whatever you are dealing with isn't just your fault or a local thing. Being alone makes you want to give up and withdraw, being part of a group encourages you.

And to add to this, yeah, it took being Extremely Online in my after high school, post-AOL broadband phase that started my transformation from a high school LOLbertarian into a way more liberal motherfucker now. Before that I was firmly cloistered in white suburbia.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Pollyanna posted:

I've been doing a media blackout this weekend. Is this in reference to media being lovely about those racist kids, or did they also make wildly unsubstantiated claims?

* Buzzfeed says that someone told them that Trump Tower in Russia was a huge thing for the investigation
* Muller team does rare press release saying that very specific parts of their article are inaccurate
* Everyone assumes that Buzzfeed got screwed
* Buzzfeed produces reciepts that the tower was way, way further ahead in planning than was admitted, backing up their original statement.

InsertPotPun
Apr 16, 2018

Pissy Bitch stan
Just a basic question sorry if dumb: why a month? Why so long between things actually happening?

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

DarkHorse posted:

They broke the Steele dossier story first if I recall correctly

they published it while everyone else was clutching their pearls about propriety

and they got the trump tower moscow story in the middle of the summer, which no one touched or matched until it was confirmed like a month ago

reitetsu
Sep 27, 2009

Should you find yourself here one day... In accordance with your crimes, you can rest assured I will give you the treatment you deserve.

TyroneGoldstein posted:

I'm from the End of X ('78) and this is the essence of that whole cohort. It's one of the reasons, even though I've laughed at both, I find both South Park and Jon Stewart pretty distasteful. It's not what they did, essentially, it's that they were the whole 'nothing matters' and 'LOL, oh well, what can we do, right??! snark snark snark' response to very real poo poo that really does matter and needed to be addressed right then and there.

That was even the response I had from people today. "Well, there isn't really anything we can do." Oh, word? I guess just roll over and keep punching the clock, and ruminate how, "hey, at least I'm not as likely to face direct transphobic discrimination because where I can afford to live and where I'm able to work." gently caress that poo poo. Maybe the world's hosed, but if I can do things that make even one transperson's life easier, so that it's just the tiniest bit better for the next non-binary kid growing up, I want to do it. More and more cynicism and apathy both just make me angrier.

Now my life just needs to chill for a minute so I can figure out how to turn that anger into action, lol

e: added forgotten word and removed unintentional bonus word

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

The strigoi is being forced back into the crypt. Good.

I am sure it will be entertaining enough. Lots of teases of stuff at least.

ascii genitals
Aug 19, 2000

This Today Show interview with The Sandmann is going to be gross, look how they have him dressed jesus christ.

love the follow up video to the interview teaser

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

KickerOfMice posted:

So if buzzfeed's not full of poo poo with that story, I just wonder, why would a person choose buzzfeed to publish it? Aren't they known more for (like the lame two-thirds of HuffPo) top-ten lists and goofy puff articles, than granite-hard news?

I don't know the exact names they use to differentiate but their Actual News division is entirely separate from the lovely part you mentioned, and has been buying up reporters for a while.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

Pollyanna posted:

I've been doing a media blackout this weekend. Is this in reference to media being lovely about those racist kids, or did they also make wildly unsubstantiated claims?

Another poster broke it down a few posts up but also adding to the media being lovely, I think trump did something so stupid that it shifted focus to that immediately and a few other things.

Rich Uncle Chet
Jan 20, 2005

The Law? Law is a Human Institution.

Honestly I hope Trump keeps Rudy around as long as possible.

Not only is his incompetence entertaining, I feel like it would only lead to more bad things for Trump if his lawyer kept going on network TV and confessing the President's crimes.

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"
Article

https://twitter.com/desideriodc/status/1087873969187971073?s=21

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

https://twitter.com/_waleedshahid/status/1087767731041112064

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

ascii genitals posted:

This Today Show interview with The Sandmann is going to be gross, look how they have him dressed jesus christ.

love the follow up video to the interview teaser

Chris Hayes is about to do a segment on it too. It doesn’t sound like he’s too pleased with it either.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Well it is the natural conclusion when you realize that poverty is institutional and that no amount of charity can eliminate it.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

https://twitter.com/OsitaNwanevu/status/1087841319219802113

KickerOfMice
Jun 7, 2017

[/color]Keep firing, assholes![/color]

Spaceballs the custom title.
Fun Shoe

Damnit William, that a pretty lolbertarian thing to say, and I've defended you before! I mean thanks for obliterating a terrible disease, but that's the government's job, no? Yours is making my computer.

E- Not really hating on Bill here, but we shouldn't have to depend on the good will of the super-rich. I mean, Andrew Carnegie had a lot of worthwhile charitable causes, and some really really bad ones.

Admiral Joeslop posted:

I don't know the exact names they use to differentiate but their Actual News division is entirely separate from the lovely part you mentioned, and has been buying up reporters for a while.

Hey a rarity, I learned a thing today! :v: Thx to those above who answered, as well.

KickerOfMice fucked around with this message at 02:10 on Jan 23, 2019

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

On the Buzzfeed credibility thing, the Washington Post and Woodward and Bernstein got raked over the coals by the Nixon' admin and the media when one of their anonymous sources burned them hard with bad info

None of this is new

TulliusCicero fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Jan 23, 2019

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Oh man, I'm hoping that Giuliani just goes ballistic on Trump if he finally fires him. Like rats and shits on him the rest of his life.

lizardman
Jun 30, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Dapper_Swindler posted:

Cohen should make really obvious teases like, "There were other important matters that Trump told me to lie about but I can't go into details... YET!"

And all the attendees go "ooooooOOWWWHOOOO!" like the studio audience used to do on Saved by the Bell whenever they implied two characters might hook up.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
*be a closeted trans woman*

*check news*

ascii genitals
Aug 19, 2000

Buzzfeed gave us Andrew Kaczynski and has been doing great political writing even back in the Obama-Romney election. They're trying to make money on the dumb listicles and spend it on investigative journalism. I really hope they're vindicated when this all comes out in February.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

KickerOfMice posted:

You go back and read Lord of the Rings this instant! No XBOX until you finish your homework!

but the ents are soooo boring

KickerOfMice
Jun 7, 2017

[/color]Keep firing, assholes![/color]

Spaceballs the custom title.
Fun Shoe

Radish posted:

The sort of response I should have expected from a poster so hasty. Keep it up and I'll make you memorize the Silmarillion. :shrug:

Mister Mind
Mar 20, 2009

I'm not a real doctor,
But I am a real worm;
I am an actual worm

nine-gear crow posted:

Chris Hayes is about to do a segment on it too. It doesn’t sound like he’s too pleased with it either.

Rick Wilson was just on, calling Trump “The Shart of the Deal,” so that was fun.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

KickerOfMice posted:

Keep it up and I'll make you memorize the Silmarillion. :shrug:

There's people who haven't?

:staredog:

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"

TulliusCicero posted:

On the Buzzfeed credibility thing, the Washington Post and Woodward and Bernstein got raked over the coals by the Nixon' admin and the media when one of their anonymous sources burned them hard with bad info

None of this is new

Yea, watched "All the President's Men" again (which is streaming on Amazon Prime) because of the Buzzfeed blow up and the movie ends pretty much around where they get raked over the coals.

Watching it provides useful perspective.

Trying to imagine what the blowback would have been if social media and Fox had existed back then.

VH4Ever
Oct 1, 2005

by sebmojo

Mantis42 posted:

Well it is the natural conclusion when you realize that poverty is institutional and that no amount of charity can eliminate it.

Just validates me making GBS threads on him no matter how many charities he runs. Don't trust billionaires. Even supposedly altruistic ones. There's a reason they're billionaires.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Radish posted:

Anybody who genuinely enjoys the drawn out Ent poo poo has no taste.

Related note, I still hate Peter Jackson for taking the best ending (Sauruman invades the Shire) out of the movies, but giving me almost a loving hour of Grey Havens bullshit in the special edition. gently caress you

Also Eowyn owns and is way loving better than Arwen as a character

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

https://twitter.com/DeeDeeMegaDooDo/status/1087849976309309440

The Super-Id
Nov 9, 2005

"You know it's what you really want."

Grimey Drawer

VH4Ever posted:

Just validates me making GBS threads on him no matter how many charities he runs. Don't trust billionaires. Even supposedly altruistic ones. There's a reason they're billionaires.

It is impossible to be a billionaire and be even a decent person. Anyone of any worth would give away anything over hundreds of millions and even that would probably be so much wealth that you would be out of the running. I don’t pretend to know how much money is the maximum before you become poo poo but anything with billion is out of the running.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

It'd be funny if it wasn't so sad.

https://twitter.com/ndrew_lawrence/status/1087877767482523650

or do I have that backwards?

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug

eke out posted:

they published it while everyone else was clutching their pearls about propriety

and they got the trump tower moscow story in the middle of the summer, which no one touched or matched until it was confirmed like a month ago
i totally agree that buzzfeed news is great, but wapo broke that story iirc
https://www.washingtonpost.com/poli...m=.d883e74559a2

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

The Super-Id posted:

It is impossible to be a billionaire and be even a decent person. Anyone of any worth would give away anything over hundreds of millions and even that would probably be so much wealth that you would be out of the running. I don’t pretend to know how much money is the maximum before you become poo poo but anything with billion is out of the running.

I'll put the mark at 10 mil. Nobody gets that by being a good person, and nobody keeps it by being a good person. I can be persuaded that the number is significantly lower.

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

"I want to see what she's in love with."

Dapper_Swindler posted:

The strigoi is being forced back into the crypt. Good.

I hope trump holds onto rudy until the end. He just keeps walking out these amazing lines, and I can't wait for them to be evidence.

VH4Ever
Oct 1, 2005

by sebmojo

awesmoe posted:

i totally agree that buzzfeed news is great, but wapo broke that story iirc
https://www.washingtonpost.com/poli...m=.d883e74559a2

EDIT: nevermind. I was confused on which Buzzfeed story you meant.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Treebeard is the best side character in LotR I can't believe people don't like that chapter

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

I'll put the mark at 10 mil. Nobody gets that by being a good person, and nobody keeps it by being a good person. I can be persuaded that the number is significantly lower.

5 mil is around where you have enough that you're immune to financial worry. Below that things like recessions and medical issues can still bankrupt you. That's probably a reasonable-ish cutoff.