Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

From Electro Harmonix

quote:

"Chinese pirates of Electro-Harmonix software walk the plank!"

Shenzhen MooerAudio Co., Ltd., a Chinese manufacturer and marketer of electronic effects pedals, was flagrantly infringing on EHX's copyrighted software. Two of Mooer's effects pedals, an organ simulator named the "Mooergan" and an octave pedal called the "Tender Octaver" included exact copies of the compiled software contained in EHX's C9 Organ Machine and Micro POG pedals.

The infringement was so bold and blatant that Shenzhen Mooer audaciously copied the Electro-Harmonix copyright notice in the software powering the C9 and Micro POG. After becoming aware of this piracy, Electro-Harmonix retained counsel and aggressively sought recourse.

EHX President, Mike Matthews, stated: "Electro-Harmonix has successfully won battles with labor racketeers in the U.S.A. and ruthless mobsters in Russia. After almost two years of fighting the Chinese courts have awarded Electro-Harmonix a nearly six figure judgement. Our victory is now complete and these pirates have walked the plank!"

lol I knew that the Tender Octaver was being pulled from shelves due to pressure from EHX but they'd directly just ctrl-v ed the software from the POG.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Mike Matthews rules

whiter than a Wilco show
Mar 30, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
*Quietly ignores the ad copy for the new EHX flatiron fuzz that straight up says it's a rat clone*

OutOfPrint
Apr 9, 2009

Fun Shoe

whiter than a Wilco show posted:

*Quietly ignores the ad copy for the new EHX flatiron fuzz that straight up says it's a rat clone*

And Soul Food is a klone. I think the difference here is that they're accusing Mooer of stealing the software, not the circuits.

Mooer's stuff is all cheap clones of existing pedals. The only difference between them and the other Chinese companies is that Mooer is somehow respected enough to get into brick and mortars.

stillvisions
Oct 15, 2014

I really should have come up with something better before spending five bucks on this.

Anime Reference posted:

Somebody needs to make a tube-based power supply now so I can finally have an all-tube signal path. I have no idea how that would work but I'm sure it's possible somehow.

These guys come close - they have a power supply specifically for their tube based Eurorack modules:

http://www.metasonix.com/

They've cleaned up some of the more... colorful product names it seems. And they had the best flyer at NAMM or such a few years ago

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

OutOfPrint posted:

And Soul Food is a klone.
Wasn't that the reason the Klon guy came back?

whiter than a Wilco show
Mar 30, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

OutOfPrint posted:

And Soul Food is a klone. I think the difference here is that they're accusing Mooer of stealing the software, not the circuits.

Mooer's stuff is all cheap clones of existing pedals. The only difference between them and the other Chinese companies is that Mooer is somehow respected enough to get into brick and mortars.

Yeah totally, with the soul food it was a bit more nudge wink though, the actual ad copy for the flatiron uses the rat name lmao.

Gringostar
Nov 12, 2016
Morbid Hound

stillvisions posted:

These guys come close - they have a power supply specifically for their tube based Eurorack modules:

http://www.metasonix.com/

They've cleaned up some of the more... colorful product names it seems. And they had the best flyer at NAMM or such a few years ago

metasonix owns hard

https://youtu.be/UBsyWJdZHgM

Danyull
Jan 16, 2011

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

please source this for me

Nebraska Tim
Feb 2, 2010

I bet this one got a lot of negative responses.

Too bad they fell on deaf ears.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

this sounds like me when I get drunk and eat like $30 of chickfila tbh

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Truly stupid music poo poo. :gonk:

Screw that, I want to be 50 and still be able to hear relatively well.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

I honestly hate the gently caress out of the dumbshit that posted this, as someone who can't enjoy silence because my tinnitus rings in two different pitches in both ears gently caress this idiot. I have to fall asleep with a fan or a film to drown out the sound to fall asleep.

Concatenation
Jul 23, 2005

Your human mentality cries out for vengeance and thrives on the violence you say you can hardly endure.
Wonder how he feels about razors

Gnumonic
Dec 11, 2005

Maybe you thought I was the Packard Goose?
I used to play everything as loud as I could, stand in front of PAs at concerts with no hearing protection, etc. Then one day I saw an interview with Paul Gilbert where he talked about how deaf he was, and he just looked so loving sad that I decided I should take care of my hearing. Nothing sounds good enough to gently caress with your ability to hear anything a decade down the line.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

I have a habit of blasting music + videogames through my headphones but I play guitar either unplugged or at bedroom volumes. If I lived in the middle of the woods somewhere I would likely ruin my hearing in a week.

Danyull
Jan 16, 2011

Spanish Manlove posted:

please source this for me

It's a now deleted comment on a Reddit post about hearing loss.

When people tried to argue with the guy he had some strong points:

quote:

most musicians i know all have issues with hearing. it’s the truth. break the echo chamber. you’ve got too much reverb in your opinions. they sound messy

quote:

i am an audio engineer. my profession is dangerous. i accept the risks. you are an emt?? perhaps you are suffering from doctor burnout. your opinions seem tired.

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO
Short of in ear monitors, do they really make earplugs that let the sound come through evenly across the spectrum? I usually wear my hear-o’s anyway because I don’t want to be deaf, and they’re clearly better than the little foam ones, but it’s just a fact that I like the sound I’m putting out 10x better without them. And that’s where so much of the enjoyment and encouragement comes from.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Custom molded ones are reportedly the best but when I tried to get them fitted I was told I have weird ears.

I like the ones with the vented design best (eggz) becasue you get less bass occlusion and also they dont stick out of your ears like the christmas tree design.

darkwasthenight
Jan 7, 2011

GENE TRAITOR

Thermos H Christ posted:

Short of in ear monitors, do they really make earplugs that let the sound come through evenly across the spectrum? I usually wear my hear-o’s anyway because I don’t want to be deaf, and they’re clearly better than the little foam ones, but it’s just a fact that I like the sound I’m putting out 10x better without them. And that’s where so much of the enjoyment and encouragement comes from.

The more you spend the better the sound quality, but same as anything in music you get to a point where you have to spend a huge amount of money on professional moulds for a fractional increase in quality. In ears are the best option if you can afford it; if not you're best off just getting get the best quality ones you can access and then learning to accept the compromise. If you're a semi or full pro there are sometimes grants to cut down the price of hearing protection such as this one.

Personally, speaking as a thirty year old who after fifteen years of gigging regularly has to get through important meetings by lipreading, you're going to lose your high end hearing as you get older anyway so you want to minimise the damage whenever possible. I carry a cheap pair of cones in my jacket all the time in case I unexpectedly end up out at a club for an aftershow or something because exposure all adds up quickly. You look but a tit but I got lucky with my tinnitus which faded after a year of hardcore wearing plugs so I'm in no rush to test my luck...

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Not that I know of. I rock Fender earplugs and they do their thing really well, but it also kinda kills your vibe. During my previous stint as a hired gun I did get to rock IEM's, and goddamn do they make you "feel" the sound way better. :allears:

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Thermos H Christ posted:

I just started working in an audiology lab and I keep meaning to ask about recommendations on flat response earplugs but I remember people in here mentioned https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00K6CX7HU/?coliid=I2J77O5APH9U5I&colid=2DI5Y2VVTW5AZ&psc=0&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

I normally just use https://www.amazon.com/3M-90716-80025T-Corded-Reusable-Earplug/dp/B00284DIPK/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&qid=1547917224&sr=8-8&keywords=3m+earplugs for general home use cause I never play that loudly and I think it makes my amp sound better.

However, I play with headphones mostly because I don't want to make my cat deaf since he sits next to my amp. I'm not sure how much damage I've done with that but I don't often have ringing afterward. I should get my hearing checked again

Rifter17
Mar 12, 2004
123 Not It
Westone's TRU has non-custom and custom plugs that have filters of varying strength that can be used to attenuate more or less depending on the situation. Generally they're pretty flat response.

Westone is an earmold shop (there are a bunch of others) so they also make ones that accept Etymotic filters. Its basically the same thing as the TRU, but I suspect Westone figured out how to make them and just wanted to make them in house rather than buying them from Etymotic.

Etymotic has universal fit ones that have a 15 dB filter on them and they work fairly well.

In ear monitors are another can of worms since you have to figure out how to route the sound to them in a gigging situation. And really if you're in anything but a pro gigging environment, the musician plugs are much more simple to use.

Hearing loss sucks, and there's no reason to resign yourself to acquiring noise induced hearing loss.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Kilometers Davis posted:

Mike Matthews rules

Yea he has his own less than savory past. Nobody is cool here.

stillvisions
Oct 15, 2014

I really should have come up with something better before spending five bucks on this.

massive spider posted:

Custom molded ones are reportedly the best but when I tried to get them fitted I was told I have weird ears.

I like the ones with the vented design best (eggz) becasue you get less bass occlusion and also they dont stick out of your ears like the christmas tree design.

Alpine makes some cheap Christmas tree plugs (I found mine for 20 bucks) that have short ends so nothing sticks out. I got them when sleeping on my side in noisy environments, but they're also handy for concerts. I'm sure you can find them unbranded too for a bit less.

The only bad side is the instructions include using the applicator they have to stick them in, but never fully explain how you're supposed to get them out, so I've had them get embedded pretty deep and needing long fingernails or tweezers to get them out.

Fuck Your Website
Nov 29, 2003
FUCK YOU, AND FUCK YOUR WEBSITE
Worth noting that noted tinnitus-haver Pete Townshend attributes most of his hearing loss not to playing live, but to jamming at home with headphones while drunk. So headphones or not, moderate those sound pressure levels.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

Yea he has his own less than savory past. Nobody is cool here.

What’s wrong with Mike?

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Kilometers Davis posted:

What’s wrong with Mike?

The usual stealing IP claims but it's extra spicy because he is the most litigious motherfucker you've ever seen. If you so much as try to sell a muff clone, not a product line but rather you're just a hobbyist making a clone here and there, you'll get 20 lawyers up your rear end in a top hat. Within 12 hours. He's generally a good dude and has done a lot for effects and music but his curated image as this affable crank from the old days is a bit simplistic.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

That’s a fair criticism. Even without ever owning an EHX pedal he’s one of my favorite dudes in the business. He’s a wonderful interview. You can tell he’s extremely smart and talented but loves to lean into his goofy likable side. Can’t blame him there.

Fair Hallion
Jul 25, 2007

:toot: :toot: :toot: :toot:
1. Will Ibanez sue?
2. WHERE'S THE MONKEYHANDLE DICKHOLE

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Rules + is an improvement.

Actuary X
Jul 20, 2007

Not really the best actuary in the world.
Flesh colored fingerboard with a pink head, ok

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

That's not how you spell vi–

Oh.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Fair Hallion posted:

1. Will Ibanez sue?

maaaaybe for the disappearing pyramid inlay thing?

that and being hsh/floyd/gaudy are the only jem things and ibanez certainly doesn't have a copyright on hsh/floyd/gaudy :v:

Also the Vai I guess but that's more of a his choice to sue I would hope, it being his name and all

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Fair Hallion posted:

1. Will Ibanez sue?

Would. Without a doubt if they made a southpaw version. :colbert:

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.
I usually hate Traveler guitars but those honestly own.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Fair Hallion posted:

1. Will Ibanez sue?

THESE ARE AWESOME

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

It has to be licensed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU