Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

silicone thrills posted:

I spent years dunking on idiots in the news comment sections.

I did that too, for a while. It got to the point you realize that a lot of them are mentally unwell or disconnected from any reality not feed to them by right wing media.

After a while, I think to myself: what she's out day about me that I'm sitting here with crazy purple.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

I'm good... I Haven't slept for a solid 83 hours, but yeah... I'm good...

Lipstick Apathy

WoodrowSkillson posted:

Never trust politicians in general.

I’ll show myself out... :sigh:

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

"I want to see what she's in love with."

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

How is AOC not gonna just burn out sometime over the next 2 years let alone potential decades?

Send her a letter telling her how much you appreciate the work she is doing.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
Who could sustain a 5-20 post/day internet output, that is clearly unsustainable and, frankly, unprecedented in modern times~\

E: have you ever even seen a millennial text??

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
AOC is getting paid and is given a staff so she can post her very widely read opinions on social media, "how could she possibly keep that up" asks the people who do that constantly all day with no audience for free

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

https://mobile.twitter.com/TaylorPopielarz/status/1087761941135835139

One super racist and one super racist

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Stereotype posted:

AOC is getting paid and is given a staff so she can post her very widely read opinions on social media, "how could she possibly keep that up" asks the people who do that constantly all day with no audience for free

Also, she is spending time on cool tweets that is otherwise used to try to beg money out of donors

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

Tweeting poo poo is part of AOC's job, and it's probably going to be part of every new, relevant politician's repertoire going forward. Blame Donald Trump if you want, but even if he never came along and did what he did, at some point social media was always going to become a major way that new politicians got their message across.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Stereotype posted:

"How could anyone not get tired from being so very online??" asks the poster on a forum where people have been posting constantly day in and day out for nearly two decades.

She doesn't suck at it, nobody here knows what that's like

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

Young Freud posted:

Oh man, I'm hoping that Giuliani just goes ballistic on Trump if he finally fires him. Like rats and shits on him the rest of his life.

And every single one of those smear attempts makes Trump’s case way stronger.

reitetsu
Sep 27, 2009

Should you find yourself here one day... In accordance with your crimes, you can rest assured I will give you the treatment you deserve.

Skippy McPants posted:

There's that famous reddit post about the different tiers of wealth and even that guy sets the low bar at 10mil so I think it's fair to go lower.

I always like the part where he talks about how the super-rich are literally incapable of forming emotional attachments.

I live under a rock on the internet and hadn't heard of this post, so thanks. The example of how to imagine $400mil/yr blew my mind. Still, what an inconceivable and unnecessary amount of money. Christ

Typical Pubbie
May 10, 2011
What is AOC's username?

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Koalas March posted:

Medicaid will cover a new pair every 1-2 years.

People get new glasses 1-2 years as adults? I've had the same prescription since I was 17 and have had this pair since 2012.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

GoutPatrol posted:

People get new glasses 1-2 years as adults? I've had the same prescription since I was 17 and have had this pair since 2012.

My eyes have gotten 1/4 step worse every year for 25 years.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I think there's something to the idea that AOC being "extremely online" and really aggressive on Twitter seems like the recipe for fighting unnecessary fires and dividing focus.

But I'm happy to give her the benefit of the doubt that all of this is new and a learning process and like government isn't even open so once work actually stabilizes she'll find a balance that works. If she doesn't we'll find that out.

Just wait and see.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
https://twitter.com/ddale8/status/1087892568157900800

Rudy Giuliani everybody

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

New class is best class

https://mobile.twitter.com/RepRashida/status/1087864499762282496

https://mobile.twitter.com/RepWexton/status/1087870820221964288

https://mobile.twitter.com/RepDebHaaland/status/1087892793635295238

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

Crow Jane posted:

Well if you criticize the lovely white private school boys now, it might hurt their chances of going on to become lovely white rapey frat boys in college, and we can't have that

Remember during the Kavanaugh hearing when one of the dinosaur senators said something like "If this can happen to him, it can happen to ANY of us!!!" as his reason to fight back against the sexual allegations?

Groovelord Neato posted:

she voted for fisa reauthorization and for the defense budget increase.

Obama voted for FISA when he was in the senate so I think we have a great democratic nominee on our hands here!

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
Giuliani is the gift that keeps on giving and it is hilarious that they are only just now realizing that maybe just maybe he's not helping Trump's situation. I for one hope they keep him around because I think there's a non-zero chance that he will literally give out some incriminating information about Trump while trying to exonerate him.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Old Kentucky Shark posted:

My eyes have gotten 1/4 step worse every year for 25 years.

Is this you?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wVwHydEgzAA

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
I know how guilty Trump is, that's how I lie so good about it.

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

STAC Goat posted:

I think there's something to the idea that AOC being "extremely online" and really aggressive on Twitter seems like the recipe for fighting unnecessary fires and dividing focus.

...as opposed to your president, who is the exact same drat thing?

I feel like she's approaching this correctly TBH. Trump may have opened the can of worms with tweets that incense his opposition, but that doesn't mean other politicians can't, nor shouldn't, use his exact same tactic, only a lot better and without coming across like spoiled orange-haired babies.

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Koalas March posted:

Medicaid will cover a new pair every 1-2 years.

Is there a cap on cost I wonder? Not all glasses are created equal and when you have awful vision there is a world of difference between thick uncomfortable lenses with no anti-glare and reasonably thin ones with some addons. This isn't an aesthetic thing, it's a quality of life thing.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

STAC Goat posted:

But I'm happy to give her the benefit of the doubt that all of this is new and a learning process and like government isn't even open so once work actually stabilizes she'll find a balance that works. If she doesn't we'll find that out.

Just wait and see.

Here's the thing: other than being "extremely online" the total individual political power of a single freshman congressperson can best be described as faaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaart. Being one of 435 means sweet gently caress-all. Power in the House is best measured by your ability to deliver large amounts of donations to your national committee, your ability to form a sizable block of like-minded congresspeople as a united front in order to stymie leadership (see: Freedom Caucus), and your political ties outside of the House, and other than option B, options A and C depend heavily on personal wealth and seniority, which is why the House is ruled by decrepit geriatrics.

AOCs doing a remarkably good job with the cards dealt to her so far.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

I am prohibited by my doctor from getting LASIK as it would not leave me with enough cornea to function.

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

In the grim future, there is only commerce.
still feel like at some point we find out Pelosi or Mueller were somehow involved in an incident that cured Giuliani's asthma that kept him out of law school.

edit: I feel like I've made this exact post before.

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

this is definitely a dril tweet

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003

Cool thing about this, speaking as someone with a bunch of native cousins in that region, traditionally both Pueblo and Navajo peoples specifically understood that non-gender conforming people existed and even specifically had a third gender for people who fit somewhere between the two and it was in no way at all a negative thing. I know in the navajo context they were seen as having a special perspective and thus a valuable source of insight, among other qualities.

dud root
Mar 30, 2008
Stop, stop they're already d-

(never stop AOC)

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

CrazyLoon posted:

I feel like she's approaching this correctly TBH. Trump may have opened the can of worms with tweets that incense his opposition, but that doesn't mean other politicians can't, nor shouldn't, use his exact same tactic, only a lot better and without coming across like spoiled orange-haired babies.

I agree with this. Trump introduced the concept of cutting out the middle man (media) to tweet his message directly to his people. It's no surprise that actual intelligent people started adopting the same technique that has demonstrably worked so well, and proceeded to do it effectively and consistently. This is the left using one of their advantages that they have over the right; they're smarter.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
I'll wait on AOC to make a stairs in house and being protected comment before freaking out.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Typical Pubbie posted:

What is AOC's username?

Big Peeler.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

lol, seems like he knows that the House speech is probably a no show.

doesnt he have brain damage from a fall or some poo poo? like he was always a law and order shithead who milked his 9/11 fame and other problematic poo poo, but at one point he knew a loving mobster when he saw one and hell he helped destroy some. now he is basically being a punching bag/defender of one.

reitetsu
Sep 27, 2009

Should you find yourself here one day... In accordance with your crimes, you can rest assured I will give you the treatment you deserve.

Thank you for posting these. I saw Ilhan Omar's Instagram post on the bus and teared up a bit, too:

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bs8brBMjbTN/

Herstory Begins Now posted:

Cool thing about this, speaking as someone with a bunch of native cousins in that region, both Pueblo and Navajo specifically understood that non-gender conforming people existed and even specifically had a third gender for people who fit somewhere between the two and it was in no way at all a negative thing. I know in the navajo context they were seen as having a special perspective and thus a valuable source of insight, among other qualities.

And, wow, thanks for sharing! I'd heard of the concept but not that it was related to the Pueblo and Navajo. I'll have to do some more research when I get a chance.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

CrazyLoon posted:

I don't really see how "Donald Trump does it" is an argument for something we should encourage or want more of.

But I also don't see why he should be the marker for it since like social media in politics was a thing before Trump, he just took it in an incredibly stupid direction. I literally said I'm giving AOC the benefit of the doubt that she can find a working balance. Right now its clearly working for her.

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

In the grim future, there is only commerce.

Herstory Begins Now posted:

Cool thing about this, speaking as someone with a bunch of native cousins in that region, traditionally both Pueblo and Navajo peoples specifically understood that non-gender conforming people existed and even specifically had a third gender for people who fit somewhere between the two and it was in no way at all a negative thing. I know in the navajo context they were seen as having a special perspective and thus a valuable source of insight, among other qualities.

Four, actually! :eng101:

Essentially recognizing the distinction between trans-masc and trans-fem.

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

What, drawn, and talk of peace! I hate the word, As I hate hell, all Montagues, and thee

Gatts posted:

I'll wait on AOC to make a stairs in house and being protected comment before freaking out.
Some day, someone is going to ask why he's afraid of stairs, and he's going to yell about protection.

The media will ignore it as just another senility moment, but we'll know. We'll know the terrible secret.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003

morcant posted:

Thank you for posting these. I saw Ilhan Omar's Instagram post on the bus and teared up a bit, too:

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bs8brBMjbTN/

And, wow, thanks for sharing! I'd heard of the concept but not that it was related to the Pueblo and Navajo. I'll have to do some more research when I get a chance.

I believe that it is somewhat different between the two, though I don't know by how much. From the Navajo perspective it was absolutely seen as a positive thing and people were basically allowed to live as whatever gender they felt like. I know that the Pueblo in practice allowed people to live as whoever they wanted, though I don't know the specifics of how they were viewed. I have an auntie who would know more about the Navajo side and I really should ask her next time I see her.

Der Waffle Mous posted:

Four, actually! :eng101:

Essentially recognizing the distinction between trans-masc and trans-fem.

My bad, you are correct :)

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
https://twitter.com/kylegriffin1/status/1087898980355330050

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

Cactus posted:

I agree with this. Trump introduced the concept of cutting out the middle man (media) to tweet his message directly to his people. It's no surprise that actual intelligent people started adopting the same technique that has demonstrably worked so well, and proceeded to do it effectively and consistently. This is the left using one of their advantages that they have over the right; they're smarter.

If only the general population weren't so staggeringly dumb.

AOC owns though.