Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Old Grasshopper
Apr 7, 2011

"Patience, young grasshopper."

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

Is it just me or is it more difficult than vanilla Quake? I've never been the best Quake player and can have some hair raising encounters even on easy but I've died quite a few times playing 1.5.

I think it's marginally harder, but Quake is a hard game. I played it Vanilla just to try and get a comparison and found myself getting wrecked after about an hour of play. I think modern games may have also made us a bit more stupid :thunk:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Q1 singleplayer isn’t that hard. I would rather play Q1 on nightmare than Blood on normal. Haven’t played 1.5 though

Barudak
May 7, 2007

toasterwarrior posted:

Q1.5 is making me think that Ogres are actually pretty garbage enemies in terms of design.

They are garbage design.

koren
Sep 7, 2003

Ogres are great.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
I think I figured it out: Q1.5 Ogres actually aim at you across the vertical plane now...and it reaaally sucks in some (most) places.

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
i like marathon troopers a lot more than ogres for doing the same thing in much faster, smoother way (not waiting for grenade detonation on ground) but there's nothing really wrong with them

koren
Sep 7, 2003

But z-axis aware ogres are even better and one of the best enemy variants in arcane dimensions.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
I'm not playing Arcane Dimensions, but if that mod has maps that aren't as tight or platform/trap-heavy as episode 1 of Quake, then I suppose they wouldn't be as soul-sucking to fight in there.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Ogres are one of the best enemies ever in a FPS. Great combo of danger at close range (with a loving chainsaw!) and at range with their weapon, which projectile can be avoided, with the twist is a grenade so you have to take care of the bounces and in what environment you are fighting.

That said, enemy design <> map design. One of the problems that a Quake map can have is abuse of ogres everywhere.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

My only big problem with the Ogre is that on Nightmare they take like one more shotgun shot to kill than they should imo

That's been my experience with most Quake enemies so far. They're fun to fight, but they're kind of bullet spongey.

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

toasterwarrior posted:

Q1.5 is making me think that Ogres are actually pretty garbage enemies in terms of design.
Bold move having your basic enemy use a grenade launcher, I like quake's transition from doom where no matter what episode you start with you're met with low health fodder in the first map so you think it's going to be like doom (lots of gun enemies with low health mixed with some heavier demons) but as soon as you reach map 2 it's just ogres all the way down.

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

Is it just me or is it more difficult than vanilla Quake? I've never been the best Quake player and can have some hair raising encounters even on easy but I've died quite a few times playing 1.5.

It has lots of the SMC mod in it so it has little tweaks like letting enemies aim up and down

Negrostrike posted:

Some random enemies just piss me off and I don't think that floating creature really needed a teleporting ability. It also makes the game a tad darker than it was, not sure if Darkplaces is to blame or the mod.

You can change the teleport chance in the home key options, the darkness can be the real time world lighting is turned on when it shouldn't or just need to turn up the lighting level in the options.

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

Flannelette posted:

You can change the teleport chance in the home key options, the darkness can be the real time world lighting is turned on when it shouldn't or just need to turn up the lighting level in the options.

Thanks. I didn't check the home key options too well.
Darkness is not much of a problem though, there's a flashlight in this mod. It's good enough.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Ogres are perfectly interesting enemies, but theyre wildly over designed and healthy for what is very quickly like the basic enemy of the game.

fadam posted:

My only big problem with the Ogre is that on Nightmare they take like one more shotgun shot to kill than they should imo

That's been my experience with most Quake enemies so far. They're fun to fight, but they're kind of bullet spongey.

The expansion which adds enemies looked at this problem and went, yeah whats wrong with the enemies in this game is there isnt a bullet spongey one for the base levels, lets fix that.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Ion Maiden's preview build has updated with a heap of new tweaks and features (including a new altfire key), as well as a new level.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OYmMPo6ckqY

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost
Awwww gently caress yeah. I was just thinking about Ion Maiden today, wondering when they'd give us a bit more cud to chew.

epic Kingdom Hearts LP
Feb 17, 2006

What a shame
Update looks good but getting massive stutters and screen freezes for 10+ seconds at a time.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

I bought Ion Maiden and played through the first level after watching that video. I really like the main character's voice actress.

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost
A new weapon, two new enemies, new voice lines (with a breaking bad reference), and the alt-fire modes are a great addition. They're fun and interesting on top of being incredibly useful, and shotgun goons can use the grenade-launching alt-fire as well. The secrets/easter eggs are still quality too. The finale sequence of the new level is pretty sick, but the map itself is nothing special compared to the masterpiece they released previously. The original demo might have set my expectations a bit too high with the quality of the level design, but this feels a lot more reasonable for a typical map.

I haven't been impatiently excited for a video game like this for ten or fifteen years.

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

Missed opportunity for a starwars/darkforces joke when you pick up the bowcaster.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
Is there a quick kick yet? :pray:

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

Convex posted:

Is there a quick kick yet? :pray:

There's a quick (change to) stick but no quick stick

Pathos
Sep 8, 2000

epic Kingdom Hearts LP posted:

Update looks good but getting massive stutters and screen freezes for 10+ seconds at a time.

I’m also getting these. Really weird. Fantastic game, though.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

the baton is great cause it can stun enemies, having it on a quick button would probably be OP

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

I wanna, finally, try my hands on some Doom map making. What's the easiest thing to use, if I just want to make single maps, that won't look strange in the vanilla set?

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

THE BAR posted:

I wanna, finally, try my hands on some Doom map making. What's the easiest thing to use, if I just want to make single maps, that won't look strange in the vanilla set?
GZDoom Builder Bugfix is the standard and has all the buttons you'll ever want to press, plus a few more. Doom Builder X has less fun buttons to press, but is a little stabler and has support for Lua scripting if you wanna mess around with generating poo poo via code. SLADE3 is mostly for non-mapping stuff like graphics. It does have a map editor that works on non-Windows platforms, but I rarely hear nice things about it from the people using it for whatever reason (Linux).

Linguica has prepared a fantastic tutorial on vanilla level design that should help you make your shaky first steps into the world of drawing lines on a grid.

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

THE BAR posted:

GZdoom builder bugfix and start making some boxes and go from there.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

juggalo baby coffin posted:

the baton is great cause it can stun enemies, having it on a quick button would probably be OP

It would own because you could do some cool combos and you need to be in melee range to use it anyway so there's an element of risk/reward that would be fun and cool.

Plus you can just macro this stuff, so there's no reason not to build the feature into the baseline controls.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause

treat posted:

I haven't been impatiently excited for a video game like this for ten or fifteen years.

Christ, same, and this is the same year with a new Metro, RE2Remake, Death Stranding, and Doom Eternal.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

Christ, same, and this is the same year with a new Metro, RE2Remake, Death Stranding, and Doom Eternal.

I'll add to that list Sekiro, The Division 2 (i like gun sperging AND number sperging), Dirt Rally 2.0, Devil May Cry 5...

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord

treat posted:

A new weapon, two new enemies, new voice lines (with a breaking bad reference), and the alt-fire modes are a great addition. They're fun and interesting on top of being incredibly useful, and shotgun goons can use the grenade-launching alt-fire as well. The secrets/easter eggs are still quality too. The finale sequence of the new level is pretty sick, but the map itself is nothing special compared to the masterpiece they released previously. The original demo might have set my expectations a bit too high with the quality of the level design, but this feels a lot more reasonable for a typical map.

I think this map is a bit more contained and smaller because it was a demo for Pax South.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."
I think I actually preferred this map to some of the individual parts of the previous one. It's a nice complex bundle of map, with tons of routes, shortcuts, not too insane secrets and some good double backs with new enemies. The only thing that bothered me is that the grenade arc is still just weird and hard to control.

The new alt fires are cool, especially the revolver lock on. Quick melee sure would be nice though.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

I didn't get a chance to test it, but is the max difficulty in Ion Maiden like the max difficulty in Doom/Duke3d where enemies respawn after killing them?

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

It definitely feels like they nerfed the homing capabilities of the bowling bombs.

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord

Plan Z posted:

It definitely feels like they nerfed the homing capabilities of the bowling bombs.

I love the added powerup for the bomb though

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
I've only ever played a bit of the first map, to try it out; does it look like the planned "seven levels" will be a sizeable campaign?

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

The Kins posted:

GZDoom Builder Bugfix is the standard and has all the buttons you'll ever want to press, plus a few more. Doom Builder X has less fun buttons to press, but is a little stabler and has support for Lua scripting if you wanna mess around with generating poo poo via code. SLADE3 is mostly for non-mapping stuff like graphics. It does have a map editor that works on non-Windows platforms, but I rarely hear nice things about it from the people using it for whatever reason (Linux).

Linguica has prepared a fantastic tutorial on vanilla level design that should help you make your shaky first steps into the world of drawing lines on a grid.

Flannelette posted:

GZdoom builder bugfix and start making some boxes and go from there.

GZDoom Builder is exactly what I wanted. Thanks, guys.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
Happy 11th birthday to the myth, the legend, Half-Life Full Life Consequences.

Jose Mengelez
Sep 11, 2001

by Azathoth

Diabetes Forecast posted:

Learning to make quake maps, while also just slamming out lots of my own textures to go with it because I'm basically incapable of holding back when it comes to personalizing my gamespaces. After a point this has stopped looking like Quake and more like something else entirely.
I will say though, Trenchbroom is rediculously fun to use!

nice, dm3 remake?

needs more panting and sweating.

Parachute
May 18, 2003
ok but who would win in a fight him or jacket from hlm?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause

Jose Mengelez posted:

needs more panting and sweating.

That's incel Soldier G65434-2's thing. Chad Hacker is too busy wrecking all of SHODAN's world domination plans one after the other like some kind of cyberpunk John McClane, hyped up on berserk, reflex, and genius stims, his lead pipe swinging at light speed cracking mutant skulls left and right, basically vomiting gas and frag grenades, turning Citadel Station into a cyborg graveyard before blowing it all to smithereens so he can get back to Earth and use his military grade implant to pirate 3 megabytes of hot RAM.