Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EPIC fat guy vids
Feb 3, 2011

squeak... squeak... SQUEAK!
Lipstick Apathy
Sacrosanct blood magic is great with it too. That's what I'm going for now. Illusion + hemomancy is just funny as hell.

I had an illusion main playthrough on hold and it really felt the best alongside nightblade general elements.

TESO nightblade (if you play and like that) is very similar to hemomancy + skyrim nightblade so if you like that, you can head that way.

As Skwirl said too, Apocalypse works really well, Ordinator as well. If you like forgotten magic, that can work well too with quiet casting DoTs and warlock spells.

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

Does Dawnguard need you to enter the college? The closest I thought was when you were searching for the Moth Priest, and that's optional. You can just go to a carriage or an inkeeper.

I think it might for discerning the transmundane for the other scrolls. Unless.. you go to Signus right away - which you can I believe. Hell I'm at that part soon, so I should be able to do a trip report :D

Edit: VV Thanks for saving me the trouble :)

EPIC fat guy vids fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Jan 21, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Ignorant Sap
Nov 20, 2010

YOU AIN'T LOOKIN' AT A
BUNCH OF RHINOS, HERE.
You don't need to enter the College for the quest, you can just head north to his cave and the quest does continue normally.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

That Ignorant Sap posted:

You don't need to enter the College for the quest, you can just head north to his cave and the quest does continue normally.

Yes, but :pcgaming:IMMERSION:pcgaming:

KingFisher
Oct 30, 2006
WORST EDITOR in the history of my expansion school's student paper. Then I married a BEER HEIRESS and now I shitpost SA by white-knighting the status quo to defend my unearned life of privilege.
Fun Shoe

KingFisher posted:

Ok I uninstalled it via steam, and now:
D:\Steam\steamapps\common
is empty is that what you mean?
Or is there another location to delete files from before I try to reinstall?

I uninstalled steam and deleted everything in the directory, downloaded steam installed, it downloaded skyrim, reinstalled it.
Still crash to desktop, guess i'm going to have to reformat that partition and try again.

Reformatted the drive rinsed and repeat of the above, same thing CTD on new game....

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

KingFisher posted:

Reformatted the drive rinsed and repeat of the above, same thing CTD on new game....

Check your local appdata, uninstall your mod manager and any associated files. Also why partition your drive? This ain't 2006, there's no technical benefit, only organizational. There's no harm installing Skyrim to C:/Games. Frankly even installing program files isn't liable to cause too many issues if you're familiar with the rudiments of how windows handles write permissions and are cool with okaying UAC prompts, but there's no need to invite more problems.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

Does Dawnguard need you to enter the college? The closest I thought was when you were searching for the Moth Priest, and that's optional. You can just go to a carriage or an inkeeper.

Oh I went to an inn and a carriage and they were not helpful so I was trying to get into Winterhold to ask them. Do I have to go to a specific inn or carriage driver?

Simsmagic
Aug 3, 2011

im beautiful

KingFisher posted:

If you have a Skyrim folder in Documents/My Games, try deleting that. Your .ini's might need to be reset.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

EPIC fat guy vids posted:

I think I reached "getting tired of swinging a 2 hander sword" stage.... even with all perks, there's only so much you can do without being able to hotkey cast like in morrow/oblivion.

That's definitely 2 handed's weakness. Nightblade it is from now on I guess.

Is there a way to make sacrosanct work well with better vamps? Maybe I just missed it from the compatibility descriptions.

The mod SmartCast gives you a lot more control over magic, auto casting a spell or series of spells in certain situations, giving you spell rings that you can bind to hotkeys (to cast spells without having to go through the animation), etc. It really is the best mod if you wanna be a spellsword but not give up a weapon hand.

EPIC fat guy vids
Feb 3, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

bony tony posted:

The mod SmartCast gives you a lot more control over magic, auto casting a spell or series of spells in certain situations, giving you spell rings that you can bind to hotkeys (to cast spells without having to go through the animation), etc. It really is the best mod if you wanna be a spellsword but not give up a weapon hand.

Thank you very much for that. It's exactly what I was looking for.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
In VR I'm having the most fun playing a combat archer (gently caress stealth, I am Legolas) while whoring shouts and movement spells to jump around and dash while unloading arrows in all directions since you can fire hilariously fast if you're quick, at awesome trick angles once you get good, and it's a great workout to boot.

Once you break enchanting and crafting over your knee it becomes more a "how fast and how far away can I murder everything" game as you just blow people away. The ragdolls just add to the hilarity.

KingFisher
Oct 30, 2006
WORST EDITOR in the history of my expansion school's student paper. Then I married a BEER HEIRESS and now I shitpost SA by white-knighting the status quo to defend my unearned life of privilege.
Fun Shoe

Simsmagic posted:

If you have a Skyrim folder in Documents/My Games, try deleting that. Your .ini's might need to be reset.

I did this and did a fresh install, i was able to install unoffical patch/unbound/imperious races from within the ingame mod menu.

Next step will be trying to get beth.ini and SKSE working.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

DrNutt posted:

Oh I went to an inn and a carriage and they were not helpful so I was trying to get into Winterhold to ask them. Do I have to go to a specific inn or carriage driver?

I thought the Riften driver would point you to Dragonbridge. And then a guard from there will point you out of town. It's been a while though.

Red Metal
Oct 23, 2012

Let me tell you about Homestuck

Fun Shoe

EPIC fat guy vids posted:

Is there a way to make sacrosanct work well with better vamps? Maybe I just missed it from the compatibility descriptions.

from sacrosanct's compatibility page

quote:

Better Vampires: Incompatible. Both mods modify the same content. A compatibility patch is available on the Better Vampires page (classic/SSE). Warning: Instead of combining both mods, the compatibility patch is designed to prioritise Better Vampires. It removes most mortal form features from Sacrosanct (all innate and racial abilities, draining, blood magic progression, blue blood quest, Sacrosanct thirst stages, vampire rank progression, several powers and spells), breaks some perks related to feeding (Psychic Vampire, Foster Childe, Amaranth, White Wolf) and edits perks in unintended ways to match its own balance approach (Lamae's Pyre). For this reason, I will not provide support for Sacrosanct if the patch is used, and issues in mortal form should be reported to the author of Better Vampires.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer

KingFisher posted:

from within the ingame mod menu.

Stop doing that, that’s how you’re breaking your game.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
Maybe he's a masochist?

KingFisher
Oct 30, 2006
Fun Shoe

Ojjeorago posted:

Stop doing that, that’s how you’re breaking your game.

Yeah, so i stopped using the ingame mod menu.

I now am just using mods from mod organizer 2.

So last night I got a handful of mods working and then tried to add thunderchild, and then got CTD on any new game.
I deleted all the thunderchild files from the data folder but still get the CTD. I can't even start a new game by launching from Steam now.

I am confused why removing the mod from list, or the files from the data folder doesn't resolve the problem.

Also is there a ay to download all the game files from steam so I can reinstall faster each time I break it?

KingFisher fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Jan 21, 2019

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
Why are you touching the data folder at all. Stop that.

Put everything in MO2. Full stop. Use it to import them and everything else. Also wipe your install and install fresh and then use MO2 exclusively.

KingFisher
Oct 30, 2006
Fun Shoe

Fuzz posted:

Why are you touching the data folder at all. Stop that.

Put everything in MO2. Full stop. Use it to import them and everything else. Also wipe your install and install fresh and then use MO2 exclusively.

Well because removing the mods via MO2 didn't fix the problem so I figured I would delete the files.

Have any advice so I don't have to download skyrim from steam each time? Is there a way to create a backup i can reinstall from?

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

MO2 shouldn't be putting anything in your Skyrim data folder at all; AFAIK it works by somehow redirecting the game to read from a separate data folder managed by MO2.

Using MO2 exclusively to install/uninstall mods should be making it that much more difficult to completely bork your Skyrim install.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

KingFisher posted:

Well because removing the mods via MO2 didn't fix the problem so I figured I would delete the files.

Have any advice so I don't have to download skyrim from steam each time? Is there a way to create a backup i can reinstall from?

From inside Steam you can make a local backup of the game, I think you can get there from the right click menu on the game title. This will make a copy of just the steamapps files iirc. But the rest of the stuff will get remade on first launch.

Right click menu, verify integrity of game cache will rebuild the game files in sync with the Steam server list of what files the game should have.

Clear it all out, make a clean backup, and you can restore game from the backup source whenever you want.

Iverron
May 13, 2012

Currently making my way through Beyond Skyrim Bruma and while it’s fantastic I’m 150 hours into this run of Skyrim and I’m running out of steam. Have the following mods left to play through installed:

Clockwork
Moon and Stars
Falskaar
Project AHO
Helgen Reborn

Any suggestions on what to prioritize, what to skip, anything I should play through instead?

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Iverron posted:

Currently making my way through Beyond Skyrim Bruma and while it’s fantastic I’m 150 hours into this run of Skyrim and I’m running out of steam. Have the following mods left to play through installed:

Clockwork
Moon and Stars
Falskaar
Project AHO
Helgen Reborn

Any suggestions on what to prioritize, what to skip, anything I should play through instead?

Helgen Reborn's a good one to start with because you can follow it's questline from start to finish without really deviating to or from other places, plus you basically get an entire town of your own as a reward for finishing it, so why not do it first? Also if you haven't done it yet I'd recommend adding The Forgotten City to that list. Just beware, if you start TFC it's one of those questlines where there is no way to bail out on it unless you complete it or dive all the way back to a save from before you started it.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Wheels of Lull.

Rainuwastaken
Oct 30, 2012

Another blue ribbon for Hecarim.

Iverron posted:

Moon & Star is short, but cute if you really enjoyed Morrowind. I don't remember much more about it than that, sorry.

Clockwork is one I finished last night, and it's good. Not incredible, but solid. Locks you in for the duration of the questline, but it is nice enough to tell you first. The first part is an impressively creepy dungeon, but after that it kinda peters out into a big dwemer ruin dungeon crawl. That said, it was neat and it's not too long, especially if you have dwarven smithing (lets you shortcut it pretty hard).

Project AHO is another dwarven ruin focused questline, with two main dungeons you'll visit over the course, but unlike Clockwork they're both really unique and interesting. Also locks you in until about the 60% mark. Save before doing anything related to the mod though, as starting it can be really dicey. When you hit yes to the pop-up, an orc will come find you....when he feels like it and take you to the new zone, which can be really inconvenient. Still, I had a good time and learned how to cast The World.

It's a drat shame that Brhuce Hammar: Legacy hasn't been ported to SSE, because it's....an experience.

Iverron
May 13, 2012

Oh yeah I forgot I had Forgotten City installed as well.

And I made sure to download a delay Project AHO mod because that pop up is pretty egregious.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Skip all of those until a new character imo, they're early to mid game focused, though Forgotten City might work. Seconding Wheels of Lull if you want a grand final adventure.

Others... maybe Vigilant? It works best if you've played it on and off all character though. Undeath or Darkend could work too.

Lunchmeat Larry fucked around with this message at 11:27 on Jan 23, 2019

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

Rainuwastaken posted:

Clockwork is one I finished last night, and it's good. Not incredible, but solid. Locks you in for the duration of the questline, but it is nice enough to tell you first. The first part is an impressively creepy dungeon, but after that it kinda peters out into a big dwemer ruin dungeon crawl. That said, it was neat and it's not too long, especially if you have dwarven smithing (lets you shortcut it pretty hard).

Does 'impressively creepy' work out to 'lots of spiders'?

When it comes to creepy Bethesda only had one idea (at least until Dragonborn) and a distressing number of mod authors followed suit, for lack of existing assets I guess.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

No, actually. There are no spiders, from what I remember.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Nah it's actually done pretty well, if goofily, and there's not much fighting in the creepy parts

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Forgotten City should work at more or less any level since it's (mostly) non-combat. I found it to be somewhat buggy, but well worth working through the bugs.

Rainuwastaken
Oct 30, 2012

Another blue ribbon for Hecarim.

Eric the Mauve posted:

Does 'impressively creepy' work out to 'lots of spiders'?

There's one spider in the entire mod (unless you count clockwork spiders, of which there are a couple), and it's easily ignored. It's chilling out in one of those little spider ceiling tubes off to the side of the beaten path, totally content to just be disgusting on its own. The mod prefers ghosts and skeletons.

Is someone who is terrified of spiders, I'm similarly annoyed by how that seems to be the go-to spook method in Skyrim, but such is life. At least most of the time I can toss Inigo at a room full of bugs and let him sort them out for me.

BillyC
Feb 19, 2013

everythin' under heaven is in utter chaos, cloud

Bread Liar
Insects Begone is here if anyone wants to remove spiders and chaurus from the game and didn't know about it. Turns them into bears and any that get missed have the mesh changed to a static fox. Mod added critters might get missed if they don't use the vanilla paths.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
On the downside for that mod, it doesn't just replace spiders with spiders that look like bears; it replaces them with bears. i.e. whereas Frostbite Spiders are among the weakest critters in Skyrim, the bears they get replaced with will gently caress up an incautious low level player. Especially since Frostbite Spiders usually don't come one at a time, but 2-5 at a time.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
I just cleaned 70 gigs from my recycle bin :laffo:

I didn't delete my skyrim install or anything. That's mostly just leftover files and mods and poo poo

Midig
Apr 6, 2016

About drat time that the Nexus fixed their poo poo. Granted, the "Sassy teens" mod a couple of weeks ago got banned pretty fast, but it still (to my horror) reached the front page first...

https://www.reddit.com/r/skyrimmods/comments/aipbj4/newish_guidelines_for_content_related_to_child/

Midig fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Jan 24, 2019

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

The Iron Rose posted:

I just cleaned 70 gigs from my recycle bin :laffo:

I didn't delete my skyrim install or anything. That's mostly just leftover files and mods and poo poo

That's funny I definitely don't remember starting a parachute account in 2012.

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
You still going with Tucoguide and just replaced the character overhaul mods with Diversity? got any screencaps of that?

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Addamere posted:

You still going with Tucoguide and just replaced the character overhaul mods with Diversity? got any screencaps of that?

Yeah, I'm pretty settled with the mods I'm rolling with now, probably won't make any more changes until I decide to start over again (maybe get really nuts and follow Nordic to the tune of 300 or 400 mods like the other fellow in this thread). I'm phone posting at the moment but next time I get a chance I'll screen shot my mod list and post it here. As far as tucoguide goes I think it's a pretty good guide for new modders. He links several videos with guides as to not only the how but the why, which is crucial when you want to start adding your own mods into the mix. His guides on FINES and how to unpack and repack .bsa archives we're very well done. Not nearly as thirsty as Nordic, but still couldn't resist a few sexy lady mods. You can safely ignore anything that sounds like a sexy mod and have no consequences. The only sexy mod I might suggest keeping is the Tembtra Thief Armor. It's cringey as all hell but it does have a craftable "pouches" that you can wear with any armor in game and get 100 extra carry weight. There are bandolier and pouch mods out there also, but I didn't see any that were 100% compatible with some of the mods on the list so I've just let it be. Personally I think the carry weight limits are fine anyway as I like being forced to go home and pawn poo poo off and avoid hoarding.

Just my 2 cents.

EPIC fat guy vids
Feb 3, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Midig posted:

About drat time that the Nexus fixed their poo poo. Granted, the "Sassy teens" mod a couple of weeks ago got banned pretty fast, but it still (to my horror) reached the front page first...

https://www.reddit.com/r/skyrimmods/comments/aipbj4/newish_guidelines_for_content_related_to_child/

The ratio of people defending the right to "jack it to pixels" is not as high as I thought but still too high.

Good on the nexus to finally freaking stop those abominations.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Midig posted:

I'm glad they explicitly said "no, it doesn't loving matter if it's a millenia old vampire that just looks like a prepubescent child, you still have to keep its clothes on."