Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

Ignorance, the root of all evil

Meskhenet posted:

I cant seem to craft the basic mek stuff.

There is no rec in jei for the basic gas tank, or the basic power thing as well a few other bits and pieces. Meaning i cant complete a number of quests because the top tier needs the lowest to start with....

Maybe download a new instance of the pack? I know it's lovely to have to go to this kind of trouble to get a game working but I really liked E2:E and think it's worth it.

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

Found this list of minecraft modpacks, figured I'd repost it here since we get the "which pack should I play?" question sometimes.

--

<snip>

This is great, thanks for posting. I might download Peace of Mind for my kids to play, since they don't like playing with mobs.

Ambaire posted:

Started playing this a few days ago and it was interesting, but I had to stop after I realized the pack maker had made Argon a 'fuel' for the blacksmith worktable. I went on his discord and asked about that and the pack maker said that he didn't know it was an inert gas.. also he wasn't changing it. And the pack had you extracting it from liquified air at a 1:1 ratio... lol.

One of the things that makes Gregtech New Horizons so good is the attention to detail and realism of processes where possible.

I don't really care too much about realism in a game with zombies and dragons but yeah this just smacks of laziness. How difficult is it to spend two minutes googling argon?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

Be they sad or be they well,
I'll make their lives a hell
Wait, I thought Argon was one of those made up resources like iridium, cinnabar, or quartz? :downs:

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

MaliciousOnion posted:

Maybe download a new instance of the pack? I know it's lovely to have to go to this kind of trouble to get a game working but I really liked E2:E and think it's worth it.

Yeah i caved in and did that.....

Copied my saves, options (didnt help) and journey map folder.

Forgot my astral sorc........ bye bye all my perk levels.

But now i can craft basic tier mek stuff.

However, will a bank of EnderIO vibrante capacitors be better/worse than a similar size bank of top mek induction cells?

And why does my cryfluxduxt not keep my machines at top power? Do i need to switch to mek ultimate cable?

OniPanda
May 13, 2004

OH GOD BEAR

Ambaire posted:

Started playing this a few days ago and it was interesting, but I had to stop after I realized the pack maker had made Argon a 'fuel' for the blacksmith worktable. I went on his discord and asked about that and the pack maker said that he didn't know it was an inert gas.. also he wasn't changing it. And the pack had you extracting it from liquified air at a 1:1 ratio... lol.

I can kinda maybe see it if you squint and turn your head to the side, argon is used a shield gas for keeping oxygen out of places you don't want it, but that's clearly a post hoc rationalization cause that guy clearly failed high school chemistry

MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

Ignorance, the root of all evil

Meskhenet posted:

Yeah i caved in and did that.....

Copied my saves, options (didnt help) and journey map folder.

Forgot my astral sorc........ bye bye all my perk levels.

But now i can craft basic tier mek stuff.

However, will a bank of EnderIO vibrante capacitors be better/worse than a similar size bank of top mek induction cells?

And why does my cryfluxduxt not keep my machines at top power? Do i need to switch to mek ultimate cable?

iirc resonant thermal cells with holding IV are the best single block batteries, but the mek induction matrix multiblock is orders of magnitude better than anything else until you get to draconic.

The important thing with power transfer at this stage is to make sure your storage output and input are up to scratch. This should be easily achievable with the induction matrix. The cryo-fluxduct should definitely be up to the task - I had just that, an induction matrix and two NC fusion reactors powering my entire base.

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Such comfortable, magical pants!
Lipstick Apathy

Ambaire posted:

One of the things that makes Gregtech New Horizons so good is the attention to detail and realism of processes where possible.

:smuggo:
https://warframe.fandom.com/wiki/Argon_Crystal

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

That was my first thought as well.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
i immediately associated it how star citizen simulates the amount of argon in ship/station atmosphere while none of the game actually exists

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler
I'm aware that argon is used in inert gas welding, but that's as the INERT gas. And iirc one of the quests says that the worktable burner 'burns methane, acetylene, or argon'. Arglblargl. I can suspend my disbelief fine if the mod uses fictional / completely made up stuff, but to blatantly use a real life gas, have an extraction process for it from air, then say it's loving burnt by the burner.. if that were true, the atmosphere would have spontaneously combusted billions of years ago.

Telum
Apr 17, 2013

I am protector of the innocent! I am the light in the darkness! I am truth! Ally to good! Nightmare to you!

Kobata posted:

1.13 is right now about the worst possible version for mods in general: The major framework (and thus the majority of mods) is currently stuck on 1.12 due to various reasons. There's a smaller alternative thing that showed up recently, but that is targeting 1.14 and has a couple smaller mods for it, so 1.13 is in the weird middle spot between those two.

dragonshardz posted:

Basically, 1.12.2 is the new 1.7.10.

Well, drat. I'll talk to them about moving back to 1.12, then.

Any other suggestions for QoL features to look for? I remembered veinminer last night while playing, that's definitely going on the list.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Ambaire posted:

I'm aware that argon is used in inert gas welding, but that's as the INERT gas. And iirc one of the quests says that the worktable burner 'burns methane, acetylene, or argon'. Arglblargl. I can suspend my disbelief fine if the mod uses fictional / completely made up stuff, but to blatantly use a real life gas, have an extraction process for it from air, then say it's loving burnt by the burner.. if that were true, the atmosphere would have spontaneously combusted billions of years ago.

The first thing you do is punch a tree down

Suspend your disbelief

Fortis
Oct 21, 2009

feelin' fine
Neat, Azanor has actually stated that he's considering passing TC on to someone else: https://minecraft.curseforge.com/projects/thaumcraft?comment=1220

I hope that if he does, he passes it on to a non-trash dev.

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

Fortis posted:

Neat, Azanor has actually stated that he's considering passing TC on to someone else: https://minecraft.curseforge.com/projects/thaumcraft?comment=1220

I hope that if he does, he passes it on to a non-trash dev.

Now would be a good time for power crystals to come back to Minecraft :v:

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Such comfortable, magical pants!
Lipstick Apathy
McJty!

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

Thaumal Expansion

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
Am I the only one who's super over thaumcraft and wouldn't really miss it? Then again I haven't really liked it since like...tc2. Now it's just another mod I won't touch clogging my inventory with garbo I won't use, dunno. Kinda wish I could have an item that just voided thaum items immediately.

Like yeah it's well made and all but I just...don't wanna ever do it again?

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

Light Gun Man posted:

Am I the only one who's super over thaumcraft and wouldn't really miss it? Then again I haven't really liked it since like...tc2. Now it's just another mod I won't touch clogging my inventory with garbo I won't use, dunno. Kinda wish I could have an item that just voided thaum items immediately.

I'm sort of this way, but mostly about mods that have research. If Thaumcraft had the typical tech-up treadmill I wouldn't mind it as much, because you at least get to build some cool poo poo along the way. Research is... burning items while standing around a single block doing nothing.

Fortis
Oct 21, 2009

feelin' fine

StealthArcher posted:

Thaumal Expansion

Not gonna lie, I'd be down for Thermal Conjuration.

Light Gun Man posted:

The trick is to only do it once and cheat in the research in subsequent playthroughs. One of my big hopes is that if Azanor passes TC to someone else, that person DOESN'T completely reinvent the mod each MC version, because I think fear of missing out w/r/t research being changed every version is a major contributor to TC fatigue.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Fortis posted:

The trick is to only do it once and cheat in the research in subsequent playthroughs. One of my big hopes is that if Azanor passes TC to someone else, that person DOESN'T completely reinvent the mod each MC version, because I think fear of missing out w/r/t research being changed every version is a major contributor to TC fatigue.

The research is the worst part of TC easily and the solutions changing each version is definitely part of it. Doing it the first time is interesting, but way too time consuming to be interesting even a 2nd time.

Even if I wouldn't exactly miss it if it were gone (it'll live on on servers who still cant' move past 1.8 any way) it's one of the most complete feeling mods out there. There's stuff to do from fairly early on in a game and it lasts all the way through a playthrough and culminates in a decently interesting dimension to raid.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003
I like TC6's research minigame but it could stand to be sped up a little. Like, get more points out of the research process.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

What's a good mod/modpack if I want to recapture the joy of those old buggy minecart launchers that would send minecarts hurling down the tracks at ludicrous speeds? I haven't played vanilla in years, but I always remember powered carts and powered rails being a mixture of underwhelming and too expensive to really do fun things with.

I'd say I want an outright train mod, but I'm a little scared how complex something like that could be given the games/mods I've seen tailored towards train fans. :v:

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Light Gun Man posted:

It's in every pack and I never use it. Because there is always something else that does cooler things and easier.

Every mod pack maker has misunderstood how thaumcraft should be used. It would be perfect in a small pack where it is the only way to boost production. Then all the poo poo you have to go through would make sense and feel rewarding.

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

Ironic that Thaumcraft, the archetypical "you can do poo poo with magic" mod, is the only one to handle pollution in any reasonable sense and requires you to understand pressure dynamics to handle its piping and involves staring at a manual, yet we've got hundreds of thousands of tech mods that all equal to the same "throw down a magic block and it'll mysteriously provide everything with no effort."

I wish Thaumcraft research worked like Psi, where you could load into a new world and when you make the thaumonomnicon, it would pop up and say "hey it looks like you've done this before do you wanna just skip to having everything."

I also wish half of Thaumcraft's stuff wasn't tied into Thaumcraft. The golems could be loving great in their own mod, the infusion altar works better than most magical infusions, but jesus loving christ do the benefits not remotely match the amount of bullshit effort you have to do every single time. It's why I like Astral Sorcery; sure, the start might be a bit dull, but by the time you're endgame in it, you're so potent you're afraid to walk near your crops due to how quickly they'll grow, you're oneshotting almost everything, and you move so fast you start looking into how to respec to make yourself less powerful.

It kinda reminds me of Witchery somewhat. I miss Witchery.

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

Whalley posted:

I wish Thaumcraft research worked like Psi, where you could load into a new world and when you make the thaumonomnicon, it would pop up and say "hey it looks like you've done this before do you wanna just skip to having everything."

Same but making a smeltery.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

the smeltery thing is more every mod using it to gate their early game

it uses clay so it's balanced

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003
Clay is balance, all hail clay.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Whalley posted:

This would solve a lot.
Admittedly, the new research mechanic is my favorite of the lot, and a ton of quality of life changes have been integrated over time, like scanning inventories and knowing what items have what essentia without needing to first scan everything in the world to register it. I'd much rather play the slightly-customizable card shuffle which can feel rewarding and much quicker than the old hex-connecting matching game. It's come a long way, but I agree that after doing it once you don't really feel much impetus to ever do it again, even improved as it is. It does sink some resources to do, but I don't think overlooking them would be balance-shattering, either.

A lot of the rewards have been getting better -- when TC4 first came out I distinctly remember it had almost all the work and none of the prizes. Alone, or VS unmodded minecraft, they're quite good, but I agree the amount of work doesn't always match progression even at the best of times. Golems are a good example: just to get something that can chop trees for you, you need to research and set up alchemy, then infusion, then golems. Lots of in-between research, resource sinks, constructions and magic constructs to make, and then you need biothaumic minds just to make a golem smart enough to know how to chop down trees (???) and finally you construct it at a somewhat pricy press, pump in liquid essentia you need a whole infrastructure to distill, and finally plant some mystic seals you had to infuse and alchemize.

Meanwhile the Bonsai trees mod can do this unsupervised, quieter, and more compact for 5 clay and 1 hopper. Tinker's Construct gives you cheap-as-free axes at the cost of some clay, gravel, sand, and about 20 iron ore, all of which you can get and assemble within maybe 15-20 minutes of starting a new world. Astral Sorcery can do it faster, bigger, and better a short way in for pretty cheap resources, and you'll be absolutely swimming in wood forever.

It's not quite fair to judge it against other mods in terms of balance, but I still have a soft spot for it. The aesthetics might be the best I've seen, at least vying with a select few like The Betweenlands. I think with a few tweaks and some nicer endgame items, it'd be downright fantastic.

All that said, I'd kill for Astral Sorcery's astral journal to be written more like Thaumcraft's thaumonomicon. Thaumcraft will get a bit flippant in the journal and talk about burning your eyebrows off but it doesn't mind speaking in plain "immersion breaking" rules of how things work. Astral Sorcery's text tries so drat hard to be diegetic and lore-based that it'll completely blow past actually explaining the mechanics. I'll read a page for a new item three times and finally just have to look it up on a wiki to see what it does. Something will have four pages of explanation and 95% will be about "ah you see the light reflects but also shatters and is reassembled to infuse the nature of item with the starlight that's been refracted through the constellation's power, but beware this can be mitigated by mundane interference sources", and then you look it up and go "oh okay it's an automatic tree farm".

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

At the very least it would be nice if Astral Sorcery's book was a little clearer on marking the nodes and making it clearer which way to approach it from. Compared to the two other "big" magic mods, Thaum and Botanica it's the worst by far. Even simpler books like the ones you get from like IE or RFTools or even something _really_ simple like Totemic are all easier to use, if not quite as fancy looking.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003
I like how flexible golems are but it's true they're too much work to make, both in preparation and in the actual resources needed.

Happy Hedonist
Jan 18, 2009

Project Ozone 3 was just uploaded. Some interesting terrain generation options are included. I'm not sure if there is an intended way to play or what.

https://minecraft.curseforge.com/projects/project-ozone-3-a-new-way-forward

I'm going to give it some time, at least until there is a stable release.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

So is Astral Sorcery pretty much the "all in one" magic mod of choice nowadays? I tried it a while ago and it seemed like it was just passive buffs, unless I misread the whole thing.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

Happy Hedonist posted:

Project Ozone 3 was just uploaded. Some interesting terrain generation options are included. I'm not sure if there is an intended way to play or what.

*copies the mod list to notepad++ to see how many there are* Holy loving god, 279 of them. Wonder how nightmarish the loading times are gonna be...

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Evil Mastermind posted:

So is Astral Sorcery pretty much the "all in one" magic mod of choice nowadays? I tried it a while ago and it seemed like it was just passive buffs, unless I misread the whole thing.

It's not really an "all in one" mod or anything, but it has some seriously nice utility stuff. The most recent release adds a Path of Exile style perk board to replace the old character attunement system. The rituals aren't new, but they are very cool. For example, one ritual suppresses all mob spawns in a huge radius (2-3 times my render distance on Progress), another grants creative flight in a decent area, and so on. It's also got good looking particle effects.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Ambaire posted:

*copies the mod list to notepad++ to see how many there are* Holy loving god, 279 of them. Wonder how nightmarish the loading times are gonna be...

It's so long that there's a mod to let you play Pong on the loading screen while you wait. It also has a pop-up on startup that whines if you don't give the instance at least 6 gigs of RAM.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

It's so long that there's a mod to let you play Pong on the loading screen while you wait. It also has a pop-up on startup that whines if you don't give the instance at least 6 gigs of RAM.

It outright requires 6 gigs? Sounds unplayable. Last I heard the advice was to never go past 4 gigs because the garbage collection gets too bad and performance starts to drop like a rock.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

McFrugal posted:

It outright requires 6 gigs? Sounds unplayable. Last I heard the advice was to never go past 4 gigs because the garbage collection gets too bad and performance starts to drop like a rock.

That hasn't been true for a while. I give mine 8 gigs and I was able to run PO3 just fine.

Maguoob
Dec 26, 2012

Happy Hedonist posted:

The "intended" way is Garden of Glass, but they do give extra options (e.g. noodle). The default minecraft world is also pretty brutal with how often blood moons are.

Also this is the easy mode version of Project Ozone 3, Titan and Kappa modes have not yet been released.

Edit: It appears that compressed hammers aren't in, but normal hammers work on compressed versions (compressed cobblestone becomes compressed gravel). For those that are wondering, yes, this pack uses Ex Nihilo for resources.

Maguoob fucked around with this message at 05:21 on Jan 23, 2019

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.

McFrugal posted:

8gb allocation is pretty much the standard for big 1.12 packs. 6 if you're not using a texture pack.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
Thaumcraft 2 may also have been my last preferred version because you could actually automate research :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

Happy Hedonist posted:

It should be stable AF right now, honestly, they've tested the ever loving poo poo out of this pack to ensure there's no quest bugs or any issues at all.