Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Proteus Jones posted:

You can do that, you can also have it create a “home screen” icons that launch the appropriate shortcut. They’re just like any other app icon, just instead of an app they launch specific shortcut scripts.

Oh well poo poo that’s super handy too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Shortcuts is(are?) quickly becoming my favorite feature for iOS. It doesn’t hold a candle to stuff you can do on Android of course, but people are doing really interesting stuff with it.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Proteus Jones posted:

I actually use a Shortcut (previously Workflow) that uploads the most the recent photo in the Photos library to my Imgur account (although you can also upload anonymously) as a jpeg, adds timg tags and copies to the clipboard so I can paste it into Awful.

Here's the actual script (I actually used the script to upload the screenshots one of which is cropped). You can also change the first step in the script to pick an image manually rather than picking up the most recent image.

This is great. Can we get it in the OP?

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

TheMightyHandful posted:

I get an error everytime i try and upload a photo that I've taken then cropped on the phone - uncropped photos work fine

I've been working on and off on this, so maybe it'll be fixed one day? Though with the shortcut getting passed around, I'm almost tempted to just rip it out completely and point people to that shortcut.

TraderStav posted:

Everytime in my limited sample size (at least a dozen or two)

Awesome, good to know!

Red_Fred posted:

Yeah something is wonky for me with the auto dark theme. Sometimes it triggers but it’s in pretty bright light but if I turn the only light off it doesn’t trigger. Unless I’m not understanding how the slider works?

Could it relate to True Tone?

It works entirely off of screen brightness. If you open Control Center and fiddle with the screen brightness, you should see Awful toggle dark mode as you go up and down. The slider in Settings is where it toggles dark mode; if the slider is 20% in from the left, Awful should be in dark mode when your device's screen brightness is at or below 20%. (I did see your later post where you mention it working when you slide around in Control Center, but I thought I'd write out how it works in case it's helpful.)

I have True Tone enabled and it works ok for me? Though I've turned off the "automatically dick with brightness" setting so it's definitely worth looking into.

dantheman650 posted:

In the last week, I’ve been getting network errors when navigating to the next page of a thread a significant percent of the time. When I exit the app and restart it loads just fine. Not sure if it’s a server issue or app bug. I wish I had more helpful info, but it’s the first time I’ve had this issue in years of using this app (a massive thank you to everyone who has put in hard work - it’s my most used app by a large margin)

That's no good. I'll make a note of it. Normally I would suggest trying to hit the Forums in Safari when the app throws up network errors, to see if it's the app or just general connectivity, but if it works after a force quit then I think that shows it's the app? Lemme know if anything else comes up.

MarcusSA posted:

I know this is dumb and would probably never work correctly but!!!

I would love it if we could “download” a thread for offline viewing. I travel a bit and it would be cool to be able to catch up on threads I haven’t had a chance to read for a few days (I’m looking at you r/relationships thread)

I get that it probably be a nightmare to do but hey I figure shoot for the moon!

Thanks love app.

There's actually a really lovely version of this already implemented. Awful caches any posts you load for about a week. So if you go into a thread and mash the next page button a few times, you'll have those pages cached for offline viewing. You won't get images, your "last read" marker doesn't work, and embedded tweets/videos won't work, but it's something!

I do have a proper offline mode on my list so I'll +1 it there.

Zenostein posted:

I imagine it works the same way Lightroom and the photos app on osx work, where the edits, until exported, are just a list of changes in a database. That seems more likely than your phone duplicating everything you edit in case you later want to revert to the original.

Yep.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

pokeyman posted:

There's actually a really lovely version of this already implemented. Awful caches any posts you load for about a week. So if you go into a thread and mash the next page button a few times, you'll have those pages cached for offline viewing. You won't get images, your "last read" marker doesn't work, and embedded tweets/videos won't work, but it's something!

I do have a proper offline mode on my list so I'll +1 it there.

You are awesome!

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
Embdedded tweets are back to opening in browser and not in twitter regardless of whether I have the switch toggled

I've been trying to consider why exactly because there hasn't been an awful app update, and it's flipped a couple of times now from Works to Doesn't. Twitter has updated, but...

maybe the URL parsing getting screwed up or not recognized by smartlinks or w/e it's called?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Subjunctive posted:

I get stuck on the preview screen loading a lot, but pressing Post goes through instantly, and in the browser the preview display comes up immediately, so idk. Latest beta and iOS.

I’ve noticed another part of the pattern here: when it happens, the Preview pane is white, even when I’m in dark mode.

Also, when I return to the app after a while I often find that the text size setting is ignored until I move to another thread.

Possible link: webview setup erroring out before it completes correctly? (Maybe not wiring up the spoiler click handler either?!?)

I’ve blocked off 2 hours at work to look at it this week, because if I don’t do something involving code I’m going to cry. I predict it will be just long enough to get my environment set up!

Goreban Dallas 2.0
Jan 4, 2019

Gunshow Poophole posted:

Embdedded tweets are back to opening in browser and not in twitter regardless of whether I have the switch toggled

I've been trying to consider why exactly because there hasn't been an awful app update, and it's flipped a couple of times now from Works to Doesn't. Twitter has updated, but...

maybe the URL parsing getting screwed up or not recognized by smartlinks or w/e it's called?

Also cannot tap anywhere on a tweet to go right to the twitter app. I have to click the embedded like or ‘x people are talking about this’ hyperlink within the tweet itself.

This is on iOS 12.1.2.

heehee
Sep 5, 2012

haha wow i cant believe how lucky we got to win :D
thanks for fixing the preview/post bug

i can’t tap on people’s usernames or spoilers a lot of the time now though. on iphone 8 plus ios 12.1.1

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

"Winning is great, sure, but if you are really going to do something in life, the secret is learning how to lose. Nobody goes undefeated all the time. If you can pick up after a crushing defeat, and go on to win again, you are going to be a champion someday."
(Wilma Rudolph)

heeheex2 posted:

i can’t tap on people’s usernames or spoilers a lot of the time now though. on iphone 8 plus ios 12.1.1

Yeah, I know I’ve +1’d this a bunch but I would love to +1 it again, especially because force-closing the app does NOT always fix the problem on my iPhone X. (I’d say that works about 40% of the time for me now.)

teacup
Dec 20, 2006

= M I L K E R S =
Spoilers are not working at all, iphonexs max on latest iOS. Force closing has done nothing.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

teacup posted:

Spoilers are not working at all, iphonexs max on latest iOS. Force closing has done nothing.

Weird, mine has suddenly started working flawlessly the last few days at least. Also, I can pull up user name information again. I’m on iPad Pro, latest i0S. Haven’t checked on my MAAAXXXX since I don’t usually read SA on the phone.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

teacup posted:

Same, on iPhone 8. Spoilers are completely non-functional even after force closing. I restarted the phone and that seemed to work but when I loaded the next page it was broken again.

Niemat
Mar 21, 2011

I gave that pitch vibrato. Pitches love vibrato.

jokes posted:

Same, on iPhone 8. Spoilers are completely non-functional even after force closing. I restarted the phone and that seemed to work but when I loaded the next page it was broken again.

I am also having this issue on iPhone 8 even after force closing

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

They still come and go for me on my X. I wish I could offer more useful information for you.

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

"Winning is great, sure, but if you are really going to do something in life, the secret is learning how to lose. Nobody goes undefeated all the time. If you can pick up after a crushing defeat, and go on to win again, you are going to be a champion someday."
(Wilma Rudolph)

Endless Mike posted:

They still come and go for me on my X. I wish I could offer more useful information for you.

Grace Baiting
Jul 20, 2012

Audi famam illius;
Cucurrit quaeque
Tetigit destruens.

jokes posted:

Try 3D-touching some combo of spoiler'd text and the "•••" at the bottom-right of a post. When my powerful finger press has penetrated the invisible spoiler defenses once, the issue doesn't seem to recur at least until leaving the instance Awful is evicted from memory (or maybe just switching pages or threads?).

+1 to the issue of an in-thread quote link not properly displaying the linked page. I see a brief flash of the correct page and then it blanks the thread; it looks like the posts just get deleted from the thread view, since I can pull the now-blank to scroll the pull-for-next-page symbol onscreen. If the destination page isn't in Awful's cache (e.g. to the OP of a long megathread that I haven't read in months), it does seem to load the target page correctly; [EDIT: the following 1.5 sentences are untrue!] and I THINK all intra-page links display their same-page destination correctly. But it appears to happen mostly/exclusively when the link targets a different page that I have recently read. (I haven't checked with cross-thread links that target pages I have read recently.)

Also there's a small graphical annoyance that I've noticed cropping up relatively recently. I keep Dark Mode on 24/7 (yeah that's right, I'm edgy :smuggo:) and if Awful is recovering a thread view after being evicted from active memory, it forgets the page background is in Dark Mode and it makes the scroll thumb black to perfectly camouflage in with the Dark Mode posts. Easiest workaround I've found is to use the in-thread quick settings at bottom-left to toggle Light Mode then back to Dark Mode. I think the preview-post screen also appears as Light Mode during this state? Not 100% positive but they seem related.

Thanks 4 listening, Awful coding superstars!

Grace Baiting fucked around with this message at 04:46 on Jan 23, 2019

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret
Spoilers, clicking profiles, Tweets, etc., are still maybe 50/50 as I had posted about a while back. Sometimes they work, sometimes they don’t. Usually I can reopen a thread and spoilers will work, either by going back to the parent forum or my bookmarks, but sometimes that doesn’t work. :shrug:

iPhone 8, current iOS, blah blah blah

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Proteus Jones posted:

Weird, mine has suddenly started working flawlessly the last few days at least. Also, I can pull up user name information again. I’m on iPad Pro, latest i0S. Haven’t checked on my MAAAXXXX since I don’t usually read SA on the phone.

LOL

So now *none* of the things I said started working, work anymore.

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde

fartknocker posted:

Spoilers, clicking profiles, Tweets, etc., are still maybe 50/50 as I had posted about a while back. Sometimes they work, sometimes they don’t. Usually I can reopen a thread and spoilers will work, either by going back to the parent forum or my bookmarks, but sometimes that doesn’t work. :shrug:

iPhone 8, current iOS, blah blah blah

I have the latest app version and iOS version and I’ve never had any of this happen once

I’m using an iPhone 6 - I can’t imagine it’s hardware related but just to help diagnose this

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

In case it helps narrow things down, I'm on an iPhone SE, latest iOS/Awful and I've not had any problems like that with Awful.

Grace Baiting
Jul 20, 2012

Audi famam illius;
Cucurrit quaeque
Tetigit destruens.

Grace Baiting posted:

Also there's a small graphical annoyance that I've noticed cropping up relatively recently. I keep Dark Mode on 24/7 (yeah that's right, I'm edgy :smuggo:) and if Awful is recovering a thread view after being evicted from active memory, it forgets the page background is in Dark Mode and it makes the scroll thumb black to perfectly camouflage in with the Dark Mode posts. Easiest workaround I've found is to use the in-thread quick settings at bottom-left to toggle Light Mode then back to Dark Mode. I think the preview-post screen also appears as Light Mode during this state? Not 100% positive but they seem related.

A variant on this -- I had opened an external link while in YOSPOS and reopened Awful after it was evicted from memory. Awful reloaded the external webpage but when I returned to the thread, the theme was regular non-YOS Dark Mode with camouflaged scroll thumb, and this time I couldn't open the quick Settings bottom-left popup. The other two bottom-of-screen popup buttons worked fine: the thread sharing bottom-right popup and the page selector/reload popup both worked without issue. Reloading the thread fixed the theme back to YOSmode and also restored the usability of the quick Settings popup.

iPhone 8+, iOS 12.1, Awful v3.46 from App Store.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

MarcusSA posted:

I know this is dumb and would probably never work correctly but!!!

I would love it if we could “download” a thread for offline viewing. I travel a bit and it would be cool to be able to catch up on threads I haven’t had a chance to read for a few days (I’m looking at you r/relationships thread)

I get that it probably be a nightmare to do but hey I figure shoot for the moon!

Thanks love app.

I would love this.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

TraderStav posted:

I would love this.

:same:

I’ve got a few threads I’ve let get into the several hundreds (and more) and since I’m back and forth across the Atlantic a fair bit, an offline mode would be great for me to catch up with some of those.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Yeah it’s been a feature many have brought up over the years, I totally get pokeyman not wanting to try and stir that hornet’s nest. Some sort of fuckery would need to be happening behind the scenes.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

The Dave posted:

Yeah it’s been a feature many have brought up over the years, I totally get pokeyman not wanting to try and stir that hornet’s nest. Some sort of fuckery would need to be happening behind the scenes.

With all of the twitter embeds, images, and such it seems like the best option would be to have a program render the whole thread page by page and print to PDF or something similar. Clickable links would even be amazing too so I could just use that to work through old threads. I'm nearly finishing my binge through the Tech Relics thread and that would have been a great way to work through it.

That being said, I'm not sure this should be an Awful App feature but a standalone.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Pokeyman make sure when you implement it that you make it error out if the thread title contains "Trump" so we don't DDOS the forums.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

TraderStav posted:

With all of the twitter embeds, images, and such it seems like the best option would be to have a program render the whole thread page by page and print to PDF or something similar. Clickable links would even be amazing too so I could just use that to work through old threads. I'm nearly finishing my binge through the Tech Relics thread and that would have been a great way to work through it.

That being said, I'm not sure this should be an Awful App feature but a standalone.

There's a couple things to consider:

- Does it persistently update itself or are you just saving the point you initiate save for later
- If it does, at what regularity does it scrape the thread for new content
- How does that affect your unread count with the forums themselves?

It's not like it's impossible it just really takes the scope of the app past a mobile view of the forums.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

The Dave posted:

There's a couple things to consider:

- Does it persistently update itself or are you just saving the point you initiate save for later
- If it does, at what regularity does it scrape the thread for new content
- How does that affect your unread count with the forums themselves?

It's not like it's impossible it just really takes the scope of the app past a mobile view of the forums.

Stop me if this isn't the right place to discuss this.

1. Makes the most sense to save it at the point you indicate from both a programming standpoint and user experience
2. See #1, it's an archive at point-in-time, so it doesn't do it
3. Have a few options, if left unchecked it marks the last available message it scans (assuming there's an option to do pages X - Y) as the last message, or after it does its thing it goes back and marks the first message as read. Not sure the utility in the latter though since you now have this great archive version you don't need a full thread of unread messages. Think this could easily be handled with some options.

stuffed crust punk
Oct 8, 2004

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
The app failing to load the page when i tap to navigate to a quoted post is keeping me from seeing the piss tape rn

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

Gunshow Poophole posted:

I think what you're seeing is Awful passing the URL off to iOS, which then decides whether to open in Safari or in Twitter based on some logic I don't fully understand. I think that logic considers whether you've recently tapped "Open" on the lil app banner that shows up on top of some websites and/or whether you tap "Open in Safari" in the status bar after a URL opens in not-Safari?

Subjunctive posted:

I’ve noticed another part of the pattern here: when it happens, the Preview pane is white, even when I’m in dark mode.

Also, when I return to the app after a while I often find that the text size setting is ignored until I move to another thread.

Possible link: webview setup erroring out before it completes correctly? (Maybe not wiring up the spoiler click handler either?!?)

I’ve blocked off 2 hours at work to look at it this week, because if I don’t do something involving code I’m going to cry. I predict it will be just long enough to get my environment set up!

I've often seen the first page after coming back to the app gets rendered in the wrong dark/light mode too, which may be related to the text size thing.

Did you manage to get the project building? I'm always happy to make that easier, want to reduce friction as much as I can.

Goreban Dallas 2.0 posted:

Also cannot tap anywhere on a tweet to go right to the twitter app. I have to click the embedded like or ‘x people are talking about this’ hyperlink within the tweet itself.

This is on iOS 12.1.2.

I looked into this briefly and I completely failed to understand what was going wrong here. But it's definitely worth having on the list. If it helps, you can tap the date of the tweet to open the tweet itself.

heeheex2 posted:

Ain't fixed poo poo, it's just a transient bug. Actually, they both are.

IllegallySober posted:

Yeah, I know I’ve +1’d this a bunch but I would love to +1 it again, especially because force-closing the app does NOT always fix the problem on my iPhone X. (I’d say that works about 40% of the time for me now.)

Fair enough, and good to know re: force-closing not helping much.

An update from my end: I'm still totally lost as to what's going on.

Grace Baiting posted:

Try 3D-touching some combo of spoiler'd text and the "•••" at the bottom-right of a post. When my powerful finger press has penetrated the invisible spoiler defenses once, the issue doesn't seem to recur at least until leaving the instance Awful is evicted from memory (or maybe just switching pages or threads?).

+1 to the issue of an in-thread quote link not properly displaying the linked page. I see a brief flash of the correct page and then it blanks the thread; it looks like the posts just get deleted from the thread view, since I can pull the now-blank to scroll the pull-for-next-page symbol onscreen. If the destination page isn't in Awful's cache (e.g. to the OP of a long megathread that I haven't read in months), it does seem to load the target page correctly; [EDIT: the following 1.5 sentences are untrue!] and I THINK all intra-page links display their same-page destination correctly. But it appears to happen mostly/exclusively when the link targets a different page that I have recently read. (I haven't checked with cross-thread links that target pages I have read recently.)

Thanks 4 listening, Awful coding superstars!

This is all good stuff, and +1'd on the list, and you're welcome! Listening is literally the least I can do, and here I am doing it a solid once every 1-4 weeks!

Proteus Jones posted:

LOL

So now *none* of the things I said started working, work anymore.

Yeah :sigh:

Keith Atherton posted:

I have the latest app version and iOS version and I’ve never had any of this happen once

I’m using an iPhone 6 - I can’t imagine it’s hardware related but just to help diagnose this

Stare-Out posted:

In case it helps narrow things down, I'm on an iPhone SE, latest iOS/Awful and I've not had any problems like that with Awful.

It can't hurt, thanks!

The Dave posted:

I think we can do it well and respectfully, especially if it's just a few pages of posts at a time. It's more of a code thing; the only ways I can see doing it would require a ton of work.

TraderStav posted:

I've never thought of that but it's a really cool idea!

carry on then posted:

Pokeyman make sure when you implement it that you make it error out if the thread title contains "Trump" so we don't DDOS the forums.

Yeah that's the main thing to figure out. Wouldn't be too hard to make a lil queueing system, download a thread one page at a time at approximately the rate of a fast human skimmer (so like a page or two per minute).

Regular Nintendo posted:

The app failing to load the page when i tap to navigate to a quoted post is keeping me from seeing the piss tape rn

Please hold, your piss is important to us

Nude
Nov 16, 2014

I have no idea what I'm doing.
To add: I'm on the iPhone 8 12.1.2, and spoiler wise never had a problem.

stuffed crust punk
Oct 8, 2004

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

pokeyman posted:

Please hold, your piss is important to us

You're all right pokeyman

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
iPhone 8, 12.1.3, spoilers still broken here.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

I was having a minor issue accessing the 3 dot menu on a post but was able to bring it up via repeated taps or a long press. I’ve had similar success for spoiler and user pop up issues as well. Could the trigger box for these items be getting scaled weirdly for some reason? It seems like there’s a sweet spot that is more easily hit by the repeated tapping and/or long press.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Warbird posted:

I was having a minor issue accessing the 3 dot menu on a post but was able to bring it up via repeated taps or a long press. I’ve had similar success for spoiler and user pop up issues as well. Could the trigger box for these items be getting scaled weirdly for some reason? It seems like there’s a sweet spot that is more easily hit by the repeated tapping and/or long press.

I’m experiencing this as well. The three-dot menu works fine but I can’t bring up the user menu for the life of me.

The man called M
Dec 25, 2009

THUNDERDOME ULTRALOSER

Is it okay for me to be that annoying gently caress who says that filter by tag still isn’t fixed after every update?

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
Bug report: IOS 12.1.2 on an iPhone XR using the latest beta. So here’s a weird one that I’m not sure has been mentioned before. If you tap on someone’s name and view “their posts” you can use the pager to go back and forth and you can jump to a specific page by tapping jump, but if you use “last post” it stops filtering by their posts but leaves the pager in a state where it thinks you still are filtering by their posts.

Crime on a Dime
Nov 28, 2006
can only see PMs from january this year, is there a limit to how far you can scroll back?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Crime on a Dime posted:

can only see PMs from january this year, is there a limit to how far you can scroll back?

The main private message page only shows the last 50 PMs initially, and the app doesn't support clicking through to the full list.

quote:

NOTICE: Only showing the last fifty messages to keep things fast, click here to list them all!