Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

Sanguinia posted:

They might have some legal obligations under their employment contracts? Like "If we call you in you have to work regardless of if we're paying you or we can fire you at will regardless of any other protections from firing you may enjoy as a benefit of this contract."

You seem to be under the mistaken impression that people like TSA employees, or indeed pretty much anyone in the country who's not already rich, actually have employment contracts. That luxury is reserved for CEOs and other golden parachute types. The proles instead get to sign noncompetes and mandatory arbitration agreements binding them to the employer while the employer is obligated to do jack and poo poo.

With that said, I find it likely that at some point here competent judges are going to start treating this as constructive dismissal and start opening the door for immediate unemployment claims at the least.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009

i am harry posted:

I think the tweets by that rep are about prisoners forced into slavery, not govt employees

I think he's just a loving idiot.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Charliegrs posted:

I think he's just a loving idiot.

I think that's going too far. Dude clearly misspoke and apologized.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Mr Interweb posted:

I dunno, I didn't even get through the whole first tweet before I saw where it was going and started to cringe. And I'm no genius!

Whenever someone starts with the phrase "never in the history of our country" there's about a 90% chance they haven't checked and are about to make a fool of themselves.

Unoriginal Name
Aug 1, 2006

by sebmojo

Mr Interweb posted:

Perhaps hes a loving idiot who misspoke and apologized

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
https://twitter.com/robrousseau/status/1087941685592686592

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

https://twitter.com/AOC/status/1087902584600514561

Feeling conflicted by my hatred for gamers and like for AOC

AOC strikes me as the type of person who plays on Final Destination with no items.

Not sure if that's someone I want leading America to single payer health care.

Zisky
May 6, 2003

PM me and I will show you my tits

The inability if the Right to acknowledge the greatness of American logistics in the middle of the 20th Century is amazing.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
A much higher top marginal tax rate is extremely my thing mainly because think of all the cool stuff that was built in the 50s.

We haven’t publicly built cool things as a nation in like 40 years

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Stereotype posted:

A much higher top marginal tax rate is extremely my thing mainly because think of all the cool stuff that was built in the 50s.

Infrastructure is bad for quarterly earnings.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Stereotype posted:

We won 1/1 major wars, went 1/2 in minor wars, landed on the moon, and built the interstate highway system with a 90% marginal tax rate. Tax the gently caress out of capital gains and we'll end up visiting Alpha Centauri in 4-12 years and funding cold fusion.

DiggityDoink
Dec 9, 2007

Stereotype posted:

We havent publicly built cool things as a nation in like 40 years

Yeah we could actually have a New Green Deal and M4A! Both of which will involve building a bunch of new poo poo even thought it doesn't seem like it in the first place.

Think of all the new clinics, solar panel/windmill/nuclear plants (yeah i'm a nuke guy), EV vehicles.

DiggityDoink fucked around with this message at 10:40 on Jan 23, 2019

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

Unoriginal Name posted:

Perhaps hes a loving idiot who misspoke and apologized

It's literally what the person who bought me my account over 10 years ago told me, and I had no reason to question it then. It was also a pretty common lovely joke back in the day. This wasn't fun but I'm happier knowing that bit of SA trivia isn't quite as bad as I was led to believe? I mean I'd have edited it out but 20 people quoted it so oh well.

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

Mr Interweb posted:

AOC strikes me as the type of person who plays on Final Destination with no items.

Not sure if that's someone I want leading America to single payer health care.
She strikes me as someone who enjoys playing random stages with items on, and then when some gamer chud comes in and scoffs, she womps him repeatedly on Final Destination no items until he slinks away in shame, and then she goes back to having fun with her friends.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

mistaya posted:

It's literally what the person who bought me my account over 10 years ago told me, and I had no reason to question it then. It was also a pretty common lovely joke back in the day. This wasn't fun but I'm happier knowing that bit of SA trivia isn't quite as bad as I was led to believe? I mean I'd have edited it out but 20 people quoted it so oh well.

What thing had robots not yet mastered in 1999

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Herstory Begins Now posted:

What thing had robots not yet mastered in 1999

The ability to love :roboluv:

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

theflyingorc posted:

3 is good, sorry.

4 not so much

I need to go back and replay New Vegas the problem was that I got it near launch when it was a buggy unplayable piece of poo poo and I quit because it crashed every 5 seconds

Fallout 3 was the worst Fallout game until Fallout 4 came, which was the worst Fallout game until Fallout 76 came out.

And of these 3 games, only Fallout 76 is so bad it deserves a special place in Hell.

Fallout 4 comes close with its fake dialogue system which is completely exposed with a mod that let's you see your actual responses.

It's like they forgot how to make a game.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

There's a reason his name is Rudolph and it's not because he's a reindeer.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

DiggityDoink posted:

EV vehicles.

This is my pet peeve. Also, what was the original tweet? It was deleted.

Raised By Birds
May 5, 2013

KillHour posted:

Something along the lines of "political hyperbole and high taxes aren't how we won WWII."

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The pinnacle of cloud computing.

KillHour posted:

"WW2 was won by the sacrifice of thousands who believed in freedom, not a 70% tax."

Tax rate aside, I doubt the millions of Russians that got lend/lease equipment believed in freedom.

nimby fucked around with this message at 12:33 on Jan 23, 2019

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

nimby posted:

Tax rate aside, I doubt the millions of Russians that got lend/lease equipment believed in freedom.

Tax rates not aside, part of the reason we could subsidize war spending for half the planet was because of sensible tax policy.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

https://mobile.twitter.com/RawStory/status/1087921855091101696

quote:

I don’t think that we are going to listen to her on much of anything, particularly anything that we will leave into the hands of a much, much higher authority,” Sanders said, “And certainly not listen to the freshman congresswoman on when the world may end.”

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

He deleted the tweet, another casualty of WW2.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
Holy loving poo poo.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
Climate change we leave in the hands of God.

Locking up the poor and people who have skin colours we don't like, God's terrible at that and needs our help.

Oh, and tax cuts. God doesn't know poo poo about tax cuts, what an idiot.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

I think the most aggravating obnoxious thing this Administration loving does is cite God and Jesus for loving every stupid loving thing they do. I know that's the GOP's general gimmick, but I really feel like this admin in particular does it if they so much as schedule a press conference

Shut the gently caress up and do your job. And stop using Jesus to defend your insane inhumane policies.

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

“Leave it to God” is the final version of the Republican reply of “we don’t care”. Global warming? Leave to God! Poor kids get cancer? Leave it to God!

I just wonder how kids in school learning this poo poo in 25 years are gonna feel after they read this in history class, then head out to lunch to have the “cockroach and cricket surprise” protein supplement plop down on their plate. Yep, we could’ve done something about this, but we left it to God and he hosed up. :shrug:

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
What if god wants all those people crossing our border?

I mean if god wanted a wall right there wouldn’t he have created one. Checkmate.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Dicks out for the buttigieg i guess

https://twitter.com/PeteButtigieg/status/1088016937718874112

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Boris Galerkin posted:

What if god wants all those people crossing our border?

I mean if god wanted a wall right there wouldn’t he have created one. Checkmate.

Ah, but God helps those who help themselves, and therefore the American People electing Donald J. Trump as their Emperor-King was in fact God's divine hand at work. Wrap it up liberailures :agesilaus:

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS

Ripoff posted:

I just wonder how kids in school learning this poo poo in 25 years are gonna feel after they read this in history class, then head out to lunch to have the “cockroach and cricket surprise” protein supplement plop down on their plate. Yep, we could’ve done something about this, but we left it to God and he hosed up. :shrug:

You're very optimistic to think that history education won't be left to god as well in 25 years.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?

nimby posted:

"WW2 was won by the sacrifice of thousands who believed in freedom, not a 70% tax."

The sacrifice of thousands vs having a small percentage less millions to spend.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 13:22 on Jan 23, 2019

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
how is this a real photo

christ she's like a bootleg halloween porch mannequin with the eye paint application all screwy

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

I'm good... I Haven't slept for a solid 83 hours, but yeah... I'm good...

Lipstick Apathy

Dammit Pete you should have stayed in Indiana to try to flip the governors mansion blue. You are 500 times better then Gregg and if he runs again I’m going to be furious.

... still have my support though.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
There's no way in hell he'll win, so it could raise his prominence for a statewide run.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Interesting biography. I for one think eight years of executive experience as a mayor is actually sufficient. Platform isn't listed on his site though? Or at least like an outline. Can anyone break down generally where he is politically?

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Roadie posted:

You seem to be under the mistaken impression that people like TSA employees, or indeed pretty much anyone in the country who's not already rich, actually have employment contracts. That luxury is reserved for CEOs and other golden parachute types. The proles instead get to sign noncompetes and mandatory arbitration agreements binding them to the employer while the employer is obligated to do jack and poo poo.

With that said, I find it likely that at some point here competent judges are going to start treating this as constructive dismissal and start opening the door for immediate unemployment claims at the least.

Federal employees are very often under employment contracts, negotiated by their unions. They aren't the "gently caress you" things foisted on private sector workers because collective bargaining means that professional negotiators were involved and everything was vetted by attorneys on both sides. The bargaining agreements often do have dispute resolution processes which go through arbitration but as far as I know those are never of the mandatory secret with no appeal to the courts type of deal.

The agreements are already being used as part of court challenges. So far the only ruling I've heard of was a court declining to issue an injunction to prohibit the government from requiring ATCs and other essential employees to come in to work (not because the case was unlikely to succeed but because court was unable to really figure out how such an injunction would play out), but as this drags on there will be more cases heard and eventually one of them will catch and have an injunction issued.

I suspect that the IRS employees being forced back to work might be the ones who win first because their work is really really not what falls under the narrow exceptions in the law covering shutdowns and we already know what happens when they don't work because they weren't working until recently.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
36% approval
59% disapproval

Border wall worth the shutdown
28% worth it
71% not worth it

https://twitter.com/ThePlumLineGS/status/1088047024036036608