Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Pride had become concerned about funding because of the police ban so this story isn't over. I mean, the issue of Pride funding is literally a perennial story so it wasn't going away anyway...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Seriously, I'm 160 lbs. and 6'2" right now, not some major achievement on my part because it's not like I work out much or anything, I just seem to have a high metabolism or something. Especially if I'm working long hours, I have to make sure I eat enough.

I used to weigh around 190 but it turns out not drinking a six-pack or equivalent every day is a major aid to weight loss!

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Declan Keogh wrote an article in NOW claiming they were under pressure to allow TPS back into the parade in some form because they had funding contingent on a better relationship with law enforcement? I think I missed the exact connection, but the claim is Pride TO is not doing well financially.

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret
https://twitter.com/emmapaling/status/1087849231858192384

Grifting family tries grifting.

apatheticman fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Jan 23, 2019

vincentpricesboner
Sep 3, 2006

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

infernal machines posted:

Declan Keogh wrote an article in NOW claiming they were under pressure to allow TPS back into the parade in some form because they had funding contingent on a better relationship with law enforcement? I think I missed the exact connection, but the claim is Pride TO is not doing well financially.

I totally understand the historical reasons why you wouldn't want cops in the parade, and I'd agree with whatever the council ends up deciding, but I honestly don't think its going to be part of the path to improve relations between LGBT and the police in the future. It was pretty cool that a few years ago you had openly gay cops that were able to march in uniform. Thats important.

I know I've already brought up this trope several times, but my baseball team is 90% firefighters and paramedics with a few cops, and half of the players are gay or lesbian and two of the cops are lesbians as well. They were all really disappointed by the police ban. But, we also live an hour away from Toronto (even though most of them work in Toronto) so what do we know.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes
"Black market cannabis oils" get the gently caress outta here perpetuating criminal stigmas for a cheap political jab besides there's only one leader kid that matters in ontario politics and that's horwath junior

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ejT22bDEdtI

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
I don't think proximity to Toronto is particularly relevant to understanding the issue.

To be more clear, improving the relationship between LGBTQ communities and law enforcement is not in any way contingent on the police being allowed to march in uniform, or really any action on the part of the community. This isn't a both sides thing.

While it's no doubt cool for queer officers to get to march in uniform, it would be even cooler for TPS to take a decade long string of disappearances more seriously than "sometimes gay men just wander off". That's the kind of thing that makes for an actual difference in the relationship between a community and law enforcement.

infernal machines fucked around with this message at 04:14 on Jan 23, 2019

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Seeing a Ford grin above a ripped torso is really weird.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

zapplez posted:

I totally understand the historical reasons why you wouldn't want cops in the parade
kinda getting the impression you don't

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

Risky Bisquick posted:

Wow rude. Bulk season means get your GOMAD on my man.

I fed my latest infant zergling soybeans/broccoli/eggs/raspberries/random whole wheat grains today. Thank you food guide for opening my eyes as to what is cool and good. Eat well CanPol

Lucky, mine is still cultivating mass on the raw milk diet, drinks it till she pukes

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

zapplez posted:

I totally understand the historical reasons why you wouldn't want cops in the parade, and I'd agree with whatever the council ends up deciding, but I honestly don't think its going to be part of the path to improve relations between LGBT and the police in the future. It was pretty cool that a few years ago you had openly gay cops that were able to march in uniform. Thats important.

I know I've already brought up this trope several times, but my baseball team is 90% firefighters and paramedics with a few cops, and half of the players are gay or lesbian and two of the cops are lesbians as well. They were all really disappointed by the police ban. But, we also live an hour away from Toronto (even though most of them work in Toronto) so what do we know.

There were "historical" reasons from just last year.

vincentpricesboner
Sep 3, 2006

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Pinterest Mom posted:

kinda getting the impression you don't

Would you want to prevent black cops from marching in a MLK parade too?

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Not my community, not my call.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Lobok posted:

There were "historical" reasons from just last year.

Right? Almost like being able to march in the parade wasn't really reflective of the actual dynamic between LEO and LGBTQ

zapplez posted:

Would you want to prevent black cops from marching in a MLK parade too?

In uniform specifically? I think that would be up to the organizers, but it's not unreasonable.

If police as members of an organization don't like being excluded from community events, maybe instead of getting upset, they should turn a critical eye to how they interact with said community. Just, like, hypothetically.

infernal machines fucked around with this message at 04:22 on Jan 23, 2019

vincentpricesboner
Sep 3, 2006

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Pinterest Mom posted:

Not my community, not my call.

Do you represent the LGBT community?

I just think in 10 years from now, the relationship between LGBT and police will be worse if we keep things like this, versus the alternative. I want younger LGBT people in the crowd to see a gay cop marching and feel like if they need help they will have someone they can talk to, to report a crime or get advice, who is the same orientation as them.

I really think gay cops should be able to march in uniform. I understand not wanting the gay-supporting but straight cops not being allowed to march... but gay cops?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Why is the onus on Pride to make concessions or amends?

What do you think a uniform represents, like, conceptually?

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

priznat posted:

Seeing a Ford grin above a ripped torso is really weird.

Eviscerates both nature AND nurture arguments.

what the hell is going on there.

MagicCube
May 25, 2004

zapplez posted:

Do you represent the LGBT community?

I just think in 10 years from now, the relationship between LGBT and police will be worse if we keep things like this, versus the alternative. I want younger LGBT people in the crowd to see a gay cop marching and feel like if they need help they will have someone they can talk to, to report a crime or get advice, who is the same orientation as them.

I really think gay cops should be able to march in uniform. I understand not wanting the gay-supporting but straight cops not being allowed to march... but gay cops?

Perhaps the police should try actually doing their jobs and not throwing a tantrum every time they can't march in uniform in a privately run parade? Don't you think they should take a hard look at how they behave now and change their behaviour, when they could then be welcomed back? Why should they get the benefit of the doubt after how many years of being complete fuckups?

vincentpricesboner
Sep 3, 2006

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

MagicCube posted:

Perhaps the police should try actually doing their jobs and not throwing a tantrum every time they can't march in uniform in a privately run parade?

At the end of the day I am not a cop so I dont really care that much. Just trying to provide some different perspective in this forum as I actually have a bunch of friends that are police/fire/ambulance and most of them are LGBT...

I still think honestly at the end of the day gay cops being allowed to march is a net good and will only improve things.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

Powershift posted:

Glitch in the matrix is my educated guess

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

zapplez posted:

At the end of the day I am not a cop so I dont really care that much. Just trying to provide some different perspective in this forum as I actually have a bunch of friends that are police/fire/ambulance and most of them are LGBT...

I still think honestly at the end of the day gay cops being allowed to march is a net good and will only improve things.

So assuming this is something you care about, ask them directly, given the TPS's handling of the Bruce MacArthur investigation and specifically the eight or more disappearances in the gay village in the preceding five years, how have the police demonstrated a positive and supportive relationship with the Toronto LGBTQ community such that they should be able to march shoulder to shoulder with them in Pride?

Gay or straight they're all wearing the same uniform.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

Powershift posted:

I've met a few kids of alcoholics who refuse to touch booze.

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret
Pride has always been political if they want to keep cops away good.

Maybe that'll spur some discussion as to why that is.

Calgary got in some poo poo for the same thing, they also blocked the UCP from marching as well. The consensus from that being you have to earn your right to march in the Pride parade and not just use it as a "look how hip we are" with no actions behind your words.

Postess with the Mostest posted:

I've met a few kids of alcoholics who refuses to touch booze.

To quote Maynard (pbuh)

You're such an inspiration for the ways
That I'll never ever choose to be

vincentpricesboner
Sep 3, 2006

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

So assuming this is something you care about, ask them directly, given the TPS's handling of the Bruce MacArthur investigation and specifically the eight or more disappearances in the gay village in the preceding five years, how have the police demonstrated a positive and supportive relationship with the Toronto LGBTQ community such that they should be able to march shoulder to shoulder with them in Pride?

Gay or straight they're all wearing the same uniform.

We are really arguing different things. I'm not arguing that there isn't good reasons for the community to be upset historically (or even recently) with the police (there are and thats a good reason if you want to exclude groups). Im arguing that gay cops should be allowed to march and them being banned is a net bad.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

They're not banned.

They can't march in uniform. That is not banned, it's nothing remotely like being banned. If they think they've been banned they are misinformed.

They can show up in their civvies and party like it's 1999.

infernal machines fucked around with this message at 04:47 on Jan 23, 2019

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Postess with the Mostest posted:

I've met a few kids of alcoholics who refuse to touch booze.

She's still getting in on the family business though.

vincentpricesboner
Sep 3, 2006

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

They're not banned.

They can't march in uniform. That is not banned, it's nothing remotely like being banned. If they think they've been banned they are misinformed.

They can show up in their civvies and party like it's 1999.

So a float with proud gay cops wearing hot pink tshirts with a sign saying gay cops, would be permitted?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Maybe, TBH I have no idea. You could email Pride TO and ask.

But everything thus far has been incredibly explicit that they are only being prevented from marching in uniform and that TPS, as an organization, has not been invited.

infernal machines fucked around with this message at 05:07 on Jan 23, 2019

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

The Cheshire Cat posted:

She's still getting in on the family business though.

I really can't see how she'd have time for signage with all the working out and the holistic health and lifestyle coaching business.

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

IM STILL SPENDING MONEY FROM 1888
police get really uppity about parades, they fuckin love them, the cops policing the santa clause parade are loving psychopaths, not letting them march in a parade is like one of the worst things you can do to a cop lol

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..
Parades are claims to public space. It is understandable that cops get upset over it, but the reasons they get upset are also the reasons why it is right to exclude them.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
Zapplez, are you LGBT-identified? If not, your opinions and the opinions of everyone else who is not LGBT about who should and shouldn't be allowed to march in the Pride parade are completely irrelevant, so you can take a well-earned break from sharing them with the rest of us! This is, at most, an issue for the LGBT community to debate amongst themselves, not some kind of situation where everyone gets a say.

Martian Manfucker
Dec 27, 2012

misandry is real

PT6A posted:

Zapplez, are you LGBT-identified? If not, your opinions and the opinions of everyone else who is not LGBT about who should and shouldn't be allowed to march in the Pride parade are completely irrelevant, so you can take a well-earned break from sharing them with the rest of us! This is, at most, an issue for the LGBT community to debate amongst themselves, not some kind of situation where everyone gets a say.

he's an equal opportunity bootlicker, some of his favourite boots to lick are gay

vincentpricesboner
Sep 3, 2006

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

PT6A posted:

I have sucked more than a few dicks in my day, if you must know before I am allowed to have an opinion.

But only letting LGBT people talk about issue like this is stupid. I wouldn't expect us to have virtually zero discussion on aboriginal issues as there is only one aboriginal poster in this thread.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
The idea of the hair vulture sucking dicks is hilarious.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

zapplez posted:

I have sucked more than a few dicks in my day, if you must know before I am allowed to have an opinion.

But only letting LGBT people talk about issue like this is stupid. I wouldn't expect us to have virtually zero discussion on aboriginal issues as there is only one aboriginal poster in this thread.

I didn't say you aren't allowed to discuss LGBT issues if you aren't LGBT, I said you're not allowed to act as if your opinion on who should be allowed to march in Pride is relevant. However, if you identify as gay or bi, then have at it. A lot of people in the LGBT community may disagree with you, but at that point your opinion does matter and mine does not.

vincentpricesboner
Sep 3, 2006

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Arivia posted:

The idea of the hair vulture sucking dicks is hilarious.

Pretty crazy that my avatar isn't a selfie but just some old dude some sensitive poster bought for me on the CanPol thread about five years ago.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

zapplez posted:

Pretty crazy that my avatar isn't a selfie but just some old dude some sensitive poster bought for me on the CanPol thread about five years ago.

No I firmly believe that you are actually Rex Murphy, the Man of Bad Opinions.

Also as another queer person you yourself have Bad Opinions and the apparatus of oppression should not be allowed to march along those they oppress

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

zapplez posted:

Your avatar is Rex Murphy.

How do you not know that's Rex Murphy?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vincentpricesboner
Sep 3, 2006

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Your avatar is Rex Murphy.

How do you not know that's Rex Murphy?

I've lived most my life trying to avoid watching bad CBC videos of angry old men yelling at the sky?