Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Do you currently have a prepaid utility meter?
This poll is closed.
Yes - both gas and electric 32 4.71%
Yes - gas only 4 0.59%
Yes - electric only 33 4.85%
Yes - plus prepaid water (this exists and is terrible) 0 0%
No - Direct Debit/Standing Order 336 49.41%
No - utilities are included as part of my tenancy/cohab/basement goonery 65 9.56%
No - I'm off-grid or still get a coal man 6 0.88%
No - my house is powered by Pressurized Boiling Hot Takes 67 9.85%
Pissflaps - via some sort of treadmill arrangement 137 20.15%
Total: 680 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

Guavanaut posted:

Wait actually

I love that Scotland is just like "Yup, communism please. Don't need to think about it"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

mehall posted:

I love that Scotland is just like "Yup, communism please. Don't need to think about it"

halp i'm male leave and conservative

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Guavanaut posted:

Wait actually

*sad Dic Penderyn*

How is don't know an option if HAD to is the question? I suspect those votes would be evenly split between "ashamed to admit I'd choose communism", "ashamed to admit I'd choose fascism" and "literally can't make a decision unless the tabloid tells me what to think"

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Corbyn should bring back that Cameron line that the press thought was incredible despite obviously wanting the opposition leader to resign

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Guavanaut posted:

Wait actually

*sad Dic Penderyn*

You're kidding yourself if you think "don't know" doesn't indicate embarrassed fash

Or at the very least the people who'll happily sit around doing nothing or calling for decorum while fascism is on the rise

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

cakesmith handyman posted:

How is don't know an option if HAD to is the question? I suspect those votes would be evenly split between "ashamed to admit I'd choose communism", "ashamed to admit I'd choose fascism" and "literally can't make a decision unless the tabloid tells me what to think"
Liberals, bourgeois social fascists and other wall dwellers.

Also ashamed to be 25-49 years old.

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

I MAKE FUN OF QUEER STORYGAMES BECAUSE I HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO DO WITH MY LIFE THAN MAKE OTHER PEOPLE CRY

I can't understand these kinds of games, and not getting it bugs me almost as much as me being weird
Why is Lib Dem the highest one?

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Glinner would check "don't know" before going on to draft a dozen new tweets about why communists are bad and we need to allow fash to say their piece.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

based on everyone involved with this i assume its terrible

https://twitter.com/paulwaugh/status/1088049908828000257

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

Rockopolis posted:

Most Lib Dem voters would believe that they could influence the communist party with their good old fashioned commen sense arguments and bring it back to the middle.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Rockopolis posted:

they all live in lib dem marginals and vote lib dem to keep the tories out

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

The newsgaurd expose is here. Somewhat damning but it does get criticised for not putting CNN and WSJ as fake news, which is not something that would ever happen from a US-based business really. Or even Fox, far too many people would go mental and boycott them. They do mark Breitbart and Drudge as fake news for what it's worth.

And of course, the criticism itself was written by:

quote:

Whitney Webb is a staff writer for MintPress News and a contributor to Ben Swann’s Truth in Media. Her work has appeared on Global Research, the Ron Paul Institute and 21st Century Wire, among others. She has also made radio and TV appearances on RT and Sputnik. She currently lives with her family in southern Chile.

Which is pretty loving dodgy too.

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 13:34 on Jan 23, 2019

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

https://twitter.com/joncstone/status/1088051513883348995

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Need something added to every OP. DWP have been told not to tell sanctioned people about this.

If you get sanctioned then to prevent your housing and council tax benefits falling like a house of cards, and in some case get access to a utility bill fund, call your local council for a "Nil Income Form".

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Renaissance Robot posted:

Glinner would check "don't know" before going on to draft a dozen new tweets about why communists are bad and we need to allow fash to say their piece.
Communists want to steal all your children's genitals and reallocate them at random, and they want these guys in every women's bathroom. #mumsnet

e: ^^ I've put it in the list of useful stuff for Feb OP

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Rockopolis posted:

The poll is a lie. 61 + 5 + 35 is 101%.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Oh gently caress me. ATOS are the ones running the court’s computer system.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

learnincurve posted:

lol

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Party Boat posted:

Patisserie Valerie's owner was a brexit backer and is crooked as gently caress
But you repeat yourself.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

learnincurve posted:

Any outsourced government computer system is probably run by them or Capita. It's great.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

VideoGames posted:

The poll is a lie. 61 + 5 + 35 is 101%.
Lib dems always overestimate their support.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends

learnincurve posted:

The amount of times I've gone to a court complex and the people there say "we've sent stuff to print and it never does" and then I hook my laptop up via a cross over connection, bring up the web interface, print something off and tell them to bother their IT staff never gets old

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
Lol remember when the NHS spent over £10bn on a new computer system then scrapped it

Public sector is v good at computers :downs:

Surprise Giraffe
Apr 30, 2007
1 Lunar Road
Moon crater
The Moon

Maugrim posted:

Since I don't think anyone else has replied to this -

First, good on you for rehoming!

Second, yeah this is normal. The first cat we adopted did exactly this, it took a week and a half for him to stop hiding in corners but once he came out he became the loveliest lap cat in the world.

He's stressed out in an unfamiliar environment so lurking in a dark corner is comforting for him. He's likely to come out at night while you're asleep to do a bit of exploring and eat the food you've put out. Once he clocks that you're a regular, reliable source of food he'll start to get attached and be less likely to run off once you let him out. If he came with a blanket or something, put that nearby so there's a familiar smell.

And definitely keep him indoors for at least a couple of weeks as you say - it's not cruel as long as he has regular food and daily fresh water. Since he's a solo cat the house is now his exclusive territory, once he's had time to explore it on his own terms he should be pretty happy with this.

e: Hope you've got a clean litter tray down too...

Thanks a lot for this. He ate a bit overnight like you said and has at least been peering out from his hiding place, so looks like he'll eventually come round. We left his blanket nearby and hell have plenty of time to explore :3:

Chucat
Apr 14, 2006

quote:

Tim Farron, the former Lib Dem leader, wishes May a happy Cumbria day. He invites her to join him at a reception afterwards to sample Cumbrian food.

John Bercow, the speaker, describes Farron as a “one-man tourist board”.

May says, while Cumbria has good produce, so does Berkshire.

Lib Dems lol

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

https://twitter.com/LouiseRawAuthor/status/1087830660906139651

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe

oh no Tim what are you doing

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Bardeh posted:

oh no Tim what are you doing

Ober please give this Goon a sixer for mind poison

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Rarity posted:

Ober please give this Goon a sixer for

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Convex posted:

Lol remember when the NHS spent over £10bn on a new computer system then scrapped it

The perfect way for this to end would be for the scraps of the system to be picked up for free and bodged into a working system by a private company and then sold back to the NHS for even more money than we already spent on it.

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

I MAKE FUN OF QUEER STORYGAMES BECAUSE I HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO DO WITH MY LIFE THAN MAKE OTHER PEOPLE CRY

I can't understand these kinds of games, and not getting it bugs me almost as much as me being weird

learnincurve posted:

Most Lib Dem voters would believe that they could influence the communist party with their good old fashioned commen sense arguments and bring it back to the middle.
Wouldn't "Fascist" be higher in that case?

Jose posted:

they all live in lib dem marginals and vote lib dem to keep the tories out
But there's only a dozen lib dem seats...oh, I get it. The sample size is too small to produce meaningful results.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Rarity posted:

loving :cumpolice: trying to hold good posters down :argh:

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 20 hours!

Rarity posted:

:cumpolice:

What ya gonna do when they cum for you...

E: f, b

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

Convex posted:

Feature creep should be a firing hanging offense.

Given the absolutely craptacular results of any IT system that's supposed to be rolled out nationwide at once in many different countries, it would be better to go build a model system in a single site/hospital/department branch/… with provisions for forwards-compatibility with additional information that other sites may wish to enter. When that works, roll it out step by step.

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
the :cumpolice: will never take me alive

Obliterati
Nov 13, 2012

Pain is inevitable.
Suffering is optional.
Thunderdome is forever.

Convex posted:

They don't have the funding to hire their own IT staff: outsourcing is a political choice forced on them on behalf of govt donors and relatives, though it's also true they have absolutely no idea how to negotiate (I know a procurement guy who recently told me about his brainwave in which a contactor who doesn't bother to do the job doesn't get [all] the money, an innovation he presented like it was the goddamn Moon Landing). Given that these contractors generally have no business that isn't UK govt as outfits like Capita are well-known as synonyms for failure, a semi-competent negotiator could essentially threaten them with bankruptcy but they have no grasp of the power differential.

As always in the UK, it is a mixture of top-level corruption and incompetence

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral
https://twitter.com/tompeck/status/1088066746190315520
Our very successful British institutions.

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
at a friends flat and the power just went out cause the coin operated meter ran out of credits. the only heating in the building is electric. imagine it goes out in the night when its impossible to get more coins. how the gently caress is this legal

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

https://twitter.com/AnandWrites/status/1088067217403637761

LOL Bono. What a twat

bump_fn posted:

at a friends flat and the power just went out cause the coin operated meter ran out of credits. the only heating in the building is electric. imagine it goes out in the night when its impossible to get more coins. how the gently caress is this legal

Because only people have those meters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Renaissance Robot posted:

You're kidding yourself if you think "don't know" doesn't indicate embarrassed fash

Or at the very least the people who'll happily sit around doing nothing or calling for decorum while fascism is on the rise

Yeah in any fash society it’s like 90% collaborators which means your gran, the baker, your accountant, big Dave... all complicit and fully to blame.