Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

ninjewtsu posted:

So how am I supposed to play rexar, other than "try and fail to grab up every merc camp"

Controlling man and bear at the same time is interesting but I'm struggling to see what I'm really even supposed to be trying to do during fights. Either I keep rexar back and my team complains about how I don't do anything, or I play a little more aggressively and rexar gets gibbed instantly

How to Rexxar:
  • Play defensively with Rexxar. He has zero escape potential and might be the easiest character in the game to gank when overextended. If someone tries to go in on him, throw the bird and run away.
  • Use Misha as a harassment tool. If the enemy engages on her at all, use her stun to reposition her behind them and throw some axes if you can.
  • When Misha is at 70%, heal her. Back off with Misha when she gets to about 40%.
  • Pop Angerey Bear to get boss, secure kills, or during a teamfight. Do not take Boar Ult.

How to Build:
  • Easy Prey on maps where you can solo bosses, Flare otherwise.
  • Animal Husbandry. Avoid Rexxar Death at all costs once you have this - it's the primary reason that Rexxar can remain viable in the late-game.
  • Aspect of the Beast. More stuns more better.
  • Bestial Wrath. Combined with the damage output of Bestial Wrath making Misha actually threatening and the stun spam from Aspect of the Beast, Misha becomes something that the enemy team has to deal with.
  • Dire Beast. Burst damage good, especially when tied to a spammable stun.
  • Your Choice. All are good situationally. If you're never getting focused and you like getting kills, take Thrill of the Hunt. If you're up against a heavy Physical team, take Primal Intimidation. If the enemy team has a lot of dive and/or correctly identified that your 1k bonus health from Animal Husbandry means kneecapping you is priority number 1, take Feign Death.
  • Your Choice. Spirit Bond owns if the enemy team can't/won't stop Misha or if teamfights are long, drawn-out affairs. Frenzy of Kalimdor is good for if your primary purpose is bogging people down in teamfights so they can't do anything useful. Hardened Skin is 75 Armor and is handy for all of the reasons why you would think it would be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Star
Jul 15, 2005

Guerilla war struggle is a new entertainment.
Fallen Rib
Never seen someone recommend going flare at lvl 1 before?

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

I like this game :)

Prove it bitch

Noir89
Oct 9, 2012

I made a dumdum :(

ninjewtsu posted:

So how am I supposed to play rexar, other than "try and fail to grab up every merc camp"

Controlling man and bear at the same time is interesting but I'm struggling to see what I'm really even supposed to be trying to do during fights. Either I keep rexar back and my team complains about how I don't do anything, or I play a little more aggressively and rexar gets gibbed instantly

Heres a nice guide on how to rexxar:

https://youtu.be/NDSKNr6MSiw

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.
The playerbase must be going down fairly quickly, because I've started getting a much wider range of mmr in my games.

I had one game yesterday where it seemed like they enemy team didn't understand that my abilities (Mephisto) always pierce multiple people. It was on the Nuke map, and 2-3 enemies would just constantly try to channel the nuke while I threw Skull Missile after Skull Missile into them. I did 82,000 damage in a 14 minute 0 death win. The next closest person in the entire game was 30,000.

They also literally did not send a person bottom to contest Illidan pushing the lane until after he had destroyed the fort and was pushing the keep.

Elysium fucked around with this message at 15:00 on Jan 23, 2019

Eraflure
Oct 12, 2012

Star posted:

That's because it's situational like most talents. Look up a better build or start from that one, then experiment.
Better yet: wait for a Rexxar buff/rework.

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

ninjewtsu posted:

You are a stun/slow bot. Don't try to 1v1 or merc (unless you are the most viable mercer on your team). Sit in offlane, Q the wave, and play near your towers/team until 10.
During teamfights keep the bear out of enemy attack range and once someone overextends punish with W->Q (enemy) or save them the same way (ally).
If the bear isn't at full HP use E on cooldown.

Kith posted:

How to Rexxar:
  • Play defensively with Rexxar. He has zero escape potential and might be the easiest character in the game to gank when overextended. If someone tries to go in on him, throw the bird and run away.
  • Use Misha as a harassment tool. If the enemy engages on her at all, use her stun to reposition her behind them and throw some axes if you can.
  • When Misha is at 70%, heal her. Back off with Misha when she gets to about 40%.
  • Pop Angerey Bear to get boss, secure kills, or during a teamfight. Do not take Boar Ult.

How to Build:
  • Easy Prey on maps where you can solo bosses, Flare otherwise.
  • Animal Husbandry. Avoid Rexxar Death at all costs once you have this - it's the primary reason that Rexxar can remain viable in the late-game.
  • Aspect of the Beast. More stuns more better.
  • Bestial Wrath. Combined with the damage output of Bestial Wrath making Misha actually threatening and the stun spam from Aspect of the Beast, Misha becomes something that the enemy team has to deal with.
  • Dire Beast. Burst damage good, especially when tied to a spammable stun.
  • Your Choice. All are good situationally. If you're never getting focused and you like getting kills, take Thrill of the Hunt. If you're up against a heavy Physical team, take Primal Intimidation. If the enemy team has a lot of dive and/or correctly identified that your 1k bonus health from Animal Husbandry means kneecapping you is priority number 1, take Feign Death.
  • Your Choice. Spirit Bond owns if the enemy team can't/won't stop Misha or if teamfights are long, drawn-out affairs. Frenzy of Kalimdor is good for if your primary purpose is bogging people down in teamfights so they can't do anything useful. Hardened Skin is 75 Armor and is handy for all of the reasons why you would think it would be.

This is all correct. Recently the buff to the level 7 Q talent that increases slow amount and duration has made me try it out and I really like it. Aspect is good but you won't get much value out of it if the enemy team is focusing your bear. If you take the Q talent you switch from needing to brawl to doing your W->Q combo and pulling the bear back and it makes the target barely unable to move for almost 5 seconds.

WITCHCRAFT
Aug 28, 2007

Berries That Burn

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Not using Pajama or Xeno. Not interested. :colbert:

Star
Jul 15, 2005

Guerilla war struggle is a new entertainment.
Fallen Rib
Mega patch https://heroesofthestorm.com/en-us/blog/22863339/heroes-of-the-storm-balance-patch-notes-january-23-2019-2019-1-23/

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
They removed all the maps but Junction. Bold!

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Buffs almost all around. Especially for Cain, Meph, Leoric, and Murky.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
Changes are all pretty minor and most buffs are aimed at talents that nobody takes. Overall impact will probably be small.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Star posted:

Having no method of escaping ganks doesn't matter when you've got an early warning system and you can just retreat as soon as you see someone 2 screens away. Besides, as great as Easy Prey is, it's not worth picking up unless you're able to solo bosses safely - Rexxar doesn't need it to take any other kind of camp, so it's best to cover your primary weakness instead.

Kith fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Jan 23, 2019

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Easy Prey is for if Rex is your solo laner. In that case, your team should warm you when the other guys are rotating. That said I think Animal Husbandry is a poor talent. Only need to be ganked once and then you’re out a talent.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Or you could just not die and throw a 5,000 health nuisance at enemies whenever you feel like it. Spirit Bond in particular synergizes well with Animal Husbandry because it includes the extra health when calculating the healing.

Kith fucked around with this message at 03:27 on Jan 24, 2019

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
why pick talents at all imo. just don't die and be better than the other team

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Taskmaster 2023 Second Place Winner

Grimey Drawer
Grubby did that with Maiev.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

is there a video of that

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Charles Bukowski posted:

Grubby did that with Maiev.

That was Rich.

ninjewtsu posted:

is there a video of that

There was one, but it's been taken down since.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

Bogart posted:

why pick talents at all imo. just don't die and be better than the other team

:neomatrixwhoa:

WITCHCRAFT
Aug 28, 2007

Berries That Burn
Vision talents are really good if you're playing a serious match. Flare is especially good because of how long it persists. Placed well, the enemy team will never get a drop on yours during the objective. You can try to bait them into attacking you, and your team will be 100% sure when the enemy team commits. You'll never fall to a counter bait/gank.

If you are playing with randos, regardless of game mode, vision talents are like you just skipped that talent tier. If it is not on the screen immediately surrounding an allied hero, assume they can't see it at all. The only time I ever ping more than once at a time is when someone on my team makes a HUGE blunder and map vision shows why they need to retreat. Of course, the people that ignore map vision in the first place aren't going to care that you ping them. But it's a learned reflex from years of being abused by MOBAs. I can't stop myself.

Mind over Matter
Jun 1, 2007
Four to a dollar.

Flare is also great for loving up enemy Zeratul and Valeera players. The good ones will work around it and adapt to it, but I've had plenty of Rexxar games where judicious use of Flare basically turned the stealth hero into a non-presence. Reveal them on the approach again and again and again.

MisterZimbu
Mar 13, 2006
Just tried league after this game died

Holy poo poo. How can anyone play that? Everyone in the low MMRs is a smurf, there's 140 heroes to learn, each ability is about 30 paragraphs of tooltip text, the dogshit UI makes learning any of this even more impossible (not exposing the role or even the name of your teammate's hero on champ select? nice), and the monetization's even worse than hots.

I't rather play loving Dota at this point.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC
League seems to be more like a game where instead of learning many characters, you find a few in each role and just stick with them. As for roles in draft, aren't they always directly opposed? So the enemy hero across from your jungler on the draft screen is the enemy jungler. Of course, nothing stops the team from negotiating different picks, because sometimes the person that queues into bottom doesn't want it, for example. So they can just agree that the top pick will go bottom and vice versa. The game also gives new players more free heroes than HotS does, IIRC, though you have to gradually unlock them. Hero prices seem either the same or lower compared to HotS according to my quick math, and they seem to do regular sales and price reductions. Buying rune pages is terrible though, and you definitely get less currency for playing than in HotS especially considering how much more time the game takes to play. One QoL change I would love for LoL would be to be able to see the hero ability window from the draft/select screen. I basically gave up on ARAM because as a new player, I know nothing, and getting a random hero and not being able to see what they do kinda sucks.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

You could wonder why Dota every became so popular to begin with, it never was accessible gameplay-wise. LoL made some things easier but generally continued that trend.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

if you were a warcraft player, dota was a lot simpler. it's not a normal person coming to dota from nothing, it's a real time strategy player coming to dota.

MisterZimbu
Mar 13, 2006
Dota2 actually showed the heroes' role (though I think they took that out for some reason at some point?), which is all I really care about at the start so we can make a decent team comp.

Of course, I tended to only play Single Draft when I did play so that definitely softened the learning curve.

quote:

As for roles in draft, aren't they always directly opposed? So the enemy hero across from your jungler on the draft screen is the enemy jungler.

There doesn't seem to be queuing by role in blind pick, which is all I have unlocked for another forever or so.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

MisterZimbu posted:

Dota2 actually showed the heroes' role (though I think they took that out for some reason at some point?), which is all I really care about at the start so we can make a decent team comp.

Of course, I tended to only play Single Draft when I did play so that definitely softened the learning curve.

There doesn't seem to be queuing by role in blind pick, which is all I have unlocked for another forever or so.

Oh yeah. Blind Pick is basically QM. You shouldn't worry too much about it imo, especially as a new player. You can declare what you want in chat and hover your pick. Depending on your skill level, this won't matter, or if it does, everyone else will probably also be doing it. Draft mode let's you set preferred roles and you all get thrown into a specific slot.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

dota's far more flexible than league so the role thing isn't as set in stone. it's one of many reasons it's a lot harder to get into.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Yeah. Personally I find the rigidness of the LoL roles a bit off putting, mostly because it doesn't seem clear as to WHY some characters are better in certain lanes than others, or why support has to be bottom, for example. Also, the game acknowledges the community role system with its draft system, but characters aren't sorted by those roles in the character collection screen, instead having class markers like "marksman" or whatever. With the game being so rigid, it really should just straight up let people filter by actual role. Also the tutorial should probably better explain this kind of stuff. I shouldn't have had to look up outside the game wtf ADC meant, considering how important the role is.

It's frustrating to see a game much older than HotS having such similar issues at teaching new players. HotS went out of its way to simplify the genre and still couldn't be bothered to really teach new players how to play properly.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
I still don't understand why some characters are better suited to their lane. Like, in HOTS, you could make a case for Tassadar double-soaking on Blackheart's, but that's a special case. Why shouldn't I play Jinx in mid versus Leona in top?

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Bogart posted:

I still don't understand why some characters are better suited to their lane. Like, in HOTS, you could make a case for Tassadar double-soaking on Blackheart's, but that's a special case. Why shouldn't I play Jinx in mid versus Leona in top?

Yeah I don't get it either. Why did top become the lame for tanky solo laning and mid for mages and assassins? Why is bottom the lane where support and ADCs live? Why does support have to generally stay down there? The only role that makes sense to me is Jungle since it seems to be pretty straight forward in terms of what you want the character to be able to do and why.

Orthodox Rabbit
Jun 2, 2006

This game is perfect for empty-headed dunces that don't like to think much!! Of course, I'm a genius... I wonder why I'm so good at it?!

ToastyPotato posted:

Yeah I don't get it either. Why did top become the lame for tanky solo laning and mid for mages and assassins? Why is bottom the lane where support and ADCs live? Why does support have to generally stay down there? The only role that makes sense to me is Jungle since it seems to be pretty straight forward in terms of what you want the character to be able to do and why.

I used to play league like 500 years ago but from what I remember

Top was for solo laning because it was the furthest from everything else on the map so you needed them to be self-sufficient
Mid was the shortest lane so it was the safest, back then mages had no mobility. It also meant they had an easier time rotating top or bottom to gank
Bottom was for adc because it was closest to dragon and support was there to baby sit the adc because at least back then adc's were meant to just farm gold for 40 minutes to buy items and then smash apart the enemy team so you wanted to stick someone with them who could both make sure they stayed alive but also didnt need to steal and gold

nowadays its probably just that way because its the way everyone used to do it and moba players absolutely hate change. And of course absolutely none of this is explained anywhere and you only learn it via getting yelled at by your team over and over again for do something wrong

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

That actually makes a lot of sense. But yeah, just thinking about the characters that I have tried/seen, it definitely seems like there isn't nearly as much need for that kind of rigid assigning of roles. I mean I have seen builds for some characters that have options for support, adc and mid, if not at least 2 of those three. I also didn't really know that supports weren't supposed to be killing minions until I saw it explained in a video or stream or something. Granted, at my low level, the other person laning bot with me didn't seem to care or notice.

Playing a little LoL and watching a bunch of LoL and DotA does make the whole constant team fight aspect of HotS waaaaay more noticeable. Also, everyone seems to die faster in LoL. I really wish Blizz would give HotS one more serious push, but whatever.

Orthodox Rabbit
Jun 2, 2006

This game is perfect for empty-headed dunces that don't like to think much!! Of course, I'm a genius... I wonder why I'm so good at it?!

ToastyPotato posted:

Playing a little LoL and watching a bunch of LoL and DotA does make the whole constant team fight aspect of HotS waaaaay more noticeable. Also, everyone seems to die faster in LoL. I really wish Blizz would give HotS one more serious push, but whatever.

It might be different now but when I played LoL most matches were decided by a single team fight. So it was about 40 minutes of laning/farming/small skirmishes until you had one big team fight (that happened usually because someone got caught overextended) that decided the match. The was the biggest thing that I immediately liked about HotS is that even if the match was decided by a single team fight, that fight was only 20 minutes in vs 40 minutes in League.

Orthodox Rabbit
Jun 2, 2006

A small thing I always really appreciated in HoTS, that was really only possible because of the shorter match times, was the lack of a surrender option. People mash the surrender button in LoL pretty much on cooldown and theres pretty much no faster way to have your team start bickering

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

One other reason that mid was most likely the AP lane: so junglers could donate the second and third blue buff to them, because they benefitted greatly from the mana regen and cooldown reduction.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

From my limited LoL experience, there is usually a team fight or two halfway into the game or so over one of the river bosses, unless some people got ganked hard and the other team gets an easy grab. Team fighting still mostly seems to be an endgame thing, though I wouldn't say it is down to just one fight, at least at scrub tier levels. Mostly it seems to be about the ganks, and the occasional 2v2/3v3 fights.

Mierenneuker posted:

One other reason that mid was most likely the AP lane: so junglers could donate the second and third blue buff to them, because they benefitted greatly from the mana regen and cooldown reduction.

Ah. Yeah those buffs are another thing I feel like were not really explained well (or maybe at all?) by the game. That was another thing I found out from a video.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WITCHCRAFT
Aug 28, 2007

Berries That Burn
I think I burned myself out on playing a bunch of heroes because of the boardgame Christmas event. Every time I had "capture 8 camps" I would play Illidan, Rexxar, or Sonya. Every time I had spell damage I'd play Kael, Li Ming, or Gul'dan. Every time I had attack damage I'd play Valla or Tychus. Every time I had siege damage I'd play Hammer or Zagara.

I have almost 9000 triangles from all the chests I opened. Had nearly 30k gold before I bought Barko Polo. I don't even want to spend any of it getting barbie dress up outfits for my little blizzard mans.

But I fell in love with Abathur again. He is the only hero I can use to drag my team kicking and screaming towards a 25+ minute victory. End up with 300k+ siege damage, have 2-3 times more XP than the next highest person on your team. Take two forts/keeps while the enemy takes one with objective. Not losing a single fort by 20 minutes. Your team is always ahead on XP by an entire talent tier, even when they lose teamfights your team wins the long game.

I haven't gotten such angry whispers in ages. People get SO MAD after being handed an automatic win. No hero in any other MOBA compares.

Weave essence. Lay waste. gently caress bitches.

:brainworms: