Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Kaiji's mom is great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mary Annette
Jun 24, 2005

MonsterEnvy posted:

Kaiji's mom is great.

I barely know her but I can already see how her parenting style could've influenced our favorite dumbass slacker gambling genius.

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

I find it hard to believe Kaiji has a good relationship with his estranged mother (who he has probably stolen from or otherwise inconvenienced with his massive debts and gambling addiction

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
Kaiji's not a thief he's just kind of a bum. He probably just doesn't want to see his mom because he feels bad about letting her down but never does anything about it. He knows he's pretty disappointing.

No Wave fucked around with this message at 05:18 on Dec 18, 2018

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Hell he was never in debt before he stupidly co signed on that loan. He was just kind of a loser.

There is nothing saying he has a bad relationship with his mother either.

Magissima
Apr 15, 2013

I'd like to introduce you to some of the most special of our rocks and minerals.
Soiled Meat
I mean Kaiji's also a legit gambling addict so I could potentially see him stealing from her or at least borrowing money and losing it. Anyway his mom seems cool and I hope his sister shows up too and they have a mini family reunion :3:

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Magissima posted:

I mean Kaiji's also a legit gambling addict so I could potentially see him stealing from her or at least borrowing money and losing it. Anyway his mom seems cool and I hope his sister shows up too and they have a mini family reunion :3:

I don't see him stealing from his mom. And given his mom's reaction when she sees him return it does not look like they have a bad relationship. Heck she's excited they are being spied on.

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

MonsterEnvy posted:

I don't see him stealing from his mom. And given his mom's reaction when she sees him return it does not look like they have a bad relationship. Heck she's excited they are being spied on.

Yea, his moms a trip

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord

MonsterEnvy posted:

Kaiji's mom is great.

came here to post this

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord
I don't remember the beginning of the manga very well but I do remember that in Kaiji Gaiden (an early "what if kaiji didn't go to espoir" oneshot story) he tricks money out of his parents and friends. Fukumoto seems somewhat regretful of this oneshot though.

Current Kaiji has a strong moral compass, and assumes responsibilities even too much sometimes, so yeah I don't see him stealing from his parents. He is a lazy underachiever and definitely has a gambling problem, I think he seems somewhat reasonable now in the Prize Money Escape arc only because he's still in Survival Mode.

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

Symbolic Butt posted:

I don't remember the beginning of the manga very well but I do remember that in Kaiji Gaiden (an early "what if kaiji didn't go to espoir" oneshot story) he tricks money out of his parents and friends. Fukumoto seems somewhat regretful of this oneshot though.

Current Kaiji has a strong moral compass, and assumes responsibilities even too much sometimes, so yeah I don't see him stealing from his parents. He is a lazy underachiever and definitely has a gambling problem, I think he seems somewhat reasonable now in the Prize Money Escape arc only because he's still in Survival Mode.

At the beginning of the manga Kaiji lived in a lovely shack and was resentful of the wealthy to the point where his main vocation was vandalizing luxury cars.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Yeah but he has flaws too.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?
Yeah, Kaiji's going to have a really hard time making a happy ending for himself because of his flaws. He's incredible when he's under pressure--when his back is to the wall he's hyper-perceptive and thinks with the kind of focus and intensity that can drill through steel plates. But when he isn't under that kind of pressure, he just completely lets go. He's more alive when his life's on the line.

The natural conclusion of which is that he's going to keep taking absurd risks forever. He'll get away from it for a while, but he'll never truly be able to quit.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Maybe not. It's possible having tons of money will allow him to rest easy.

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

MonsterEnvy posted:

Maybe not. It's possible having tons of money will allow him to rest easy.

lol

halleys comet
Feb 29, 2012
Kaiji ends up a crazed hyoudou style billionaire but instead of sadistically torturing poor people with twisted gambles he tries to get them to sadistically torture him with twisted gambles

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

The Lord of Hats posted:

Yeah, Kaiji's going to have a really hard time making a happy ending for himself because of his flaws. He's incredible when he's under pressure--when his back is to the wall he's hyper-perceptive and thinks with the kind of focus and intensity that can drill through steel plates. But when he isn't under that kind of pressure, he just completely lets go. He's more alive when his life's on the line.

The natural conclusion of which is that he's going to keep taking absurd risks forever. He'll get away from it for a while, but he'll never truly be able to quit.
Well the obvious endgame is that he finally takes on Kazuya's dad.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Teiai is a horrible company and Hyoudou does deserve to lose everything.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

halleys comet posted:

Kaiji ends up a crazed hyoudou style billionaire but instead of sadistically torturing poor people with twisted gambles he tries to get them to sadistically torture him with twisted gambles

That would give Tonegawa a new and exciting set of middle management problems...

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

lmfao they censored the human derby. also release Kaiji S3!!!

Petiso
Apr 30, 2012

That was a sweet ending, I'm going to miss watching this series weekly.

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

i wanted to see dancemaster tonegawa in all his glory

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord
kaiji's mom is the best

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

Symbolic Butt posted:

kaiji's mom is the best

Yeah. I was laughing at her wrecking Kaiji last chapter but this was even better.

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

Symbolic Butt posted:

kaiji's mom is the best

She's epic.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

ARE YOU STUPID!?

IS SHE STUPID!?

Can Of Worms
Sep 4, 2011

That's not how the Triangle Attack works...
Kaiji's mom is secretly a genius, just like Kaiji.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

For some reason season 2 makes me really crave a nice, cold Asahi Super Dry.

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord
I wonder now if Kaiji's mom is aware that he's been in some deep gambling poo poo and is just playing along with him to make him feel better. The pachinko bit in her Kaiji imitation felt like a hint of that.

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Can Of Worms posted:

Kaiji's mom is secretly a genius, just like Kaiji.

Shes a dummy whos a genius when put in a tight spot just like her son

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
And thus the power of bad timing hits Kaiji.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

What chapter of Kaiji do I pick up on if I just finished the anime.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

GorfZaplen posted:

What chapter of Kaiji do I pick up on if I just finished the anime.

You are on the 3rd part. Kaiji 3 Tobaku Datenroku Kaiji

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Oh poo poo!!!!!!! New Kurosawa!!!

https://mangadex.org/chapter/559699

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord
oh man I forgot how great kurosawa was

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

its been so long i thought you were talking about tonegawa

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NutritiousSnack
Jul 12, 2011

Pewdiepie posted:

resentful of the wealthy to the point where his main vocation was vandalizing luxury cars.
I wonder why