Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

My interpretation is that literally everything of note for the Baffles interactions in the end phase has the same timing, that of "during the end phase."

In every other case, simultaneous effects are done so that first player does all his in the order of his choosing, then the second player does theirs in any order of their choosing.

If we extend that to the baffles timing, then one should be able to choose the order, and the Tavson token-stacking thing works. So does QD shooting after people remove tokens (if the QD player is second).

The game state thing doesn't matter in this interpretation.

It's probably a good idea to put the rule interpretation out there, whatever you guys decide, because triple Upsilons is a Big Thing right now. You're going to see it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS
I need an idea for a good imp aces list for an upcoming tournament, preferably not Soontir/Whisper/Redline, but I do love me some Soontir.

EnjoiThePureTrip
Apr 16, 2011

ConfusedUs posted:

It's probably a good idea to put the rule interpretation out there, whatever you guys decide, because triple Upsilons is a Big Thing right now. You're going to see it.

What is this list?

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

EnjoiThePureTrip posted:

What is this list?

Here's a big reddit thread.

https://www.reddit.com/r/XWingTMG/comments/aiari0/blog_triple_upsilons_and_the_rule_of_four/

There's a blog linked at the top, and at the bottom lots of discussion about how to deal with it. Lists are in the comments, too. There are a couple variations.

It's always Dormitz, usually Tavson + cheapest generic. All have Hyperspace tracking data. The goal is to set up at i6 and dive bomb the enemy from across the board on turn 1.

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!

ConfusedUs posted:

There's apparently some reading of the rules--which I am not pretending to have adequately researched or fully understand, mind you--that says all game state effects (like removing tokens) happen first.

This isn't necessarily going to solve the debate on this issue, but this isn't a reading of the rules sort of thing. It's actually under the Ability Queue section of the rules reference, game effects occur before card effects.

Both Baffles and the rules for removing tokens share the same timing of "During the end phase".

Edit: this is the basis of why you can't link or otherwise insert an extra action before you get the stress from a red action. The game effect of "you get a stress token after you take a red action" has to resolve before the "take an extra action after this action" part. So you're stressed before you could resolve the action.

As to whether removing tokens counts as a game effect or not...I can't imagine it isn't, but boy is that going to create issues, as we're seeing. Tavson is kind of just cute, though, since you can't dupe actions and it's charge limited. End phase coordinate is pretty awesome.

Slab Squatthrust fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Jan 22, 2019

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
Soontir Fel (52)
Juke (4)

Darth Vader (70)
Predictive Shot (4)
Fire-Control System (3)
Proton Rockets (7)

“Duchess” (42)
Juke (4)
Fifth Brother (12)

Total: 198

View in Yet Another Squad Builder 2.0

or maybe

Soontir Fel (52)
Juke (4)
Stealth Device (8)

Darth Vader (70)
Predictive Shot (4)
Fire-Control System (3)
Proton Rockets (7)

“Duchess” (42)
Juke (4)
Proton Bombs (5)

Total: 199

Or maybe:
Soontir Fel (52)
Outmaneuver (6)

Rexler Brath (84)
Juke (4)
Fire-Control System (3)

“Duchess” (42)
Juke (4)
Proton Bombs (5)

Total: 200

TheCenturion fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Jan 22, 2019

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

I've been flying, and loving, Soontir/Duchess/Rexler. It's my preferred Extended format list.

Soontir + Predator
Duchess + Predator + Fifth Brother
Rexler + Lone Wolf

198 points

It gets annihilated by Soontir/Redline/Whisper. I lose about 70% of those. However, I am pretty sure most of the stuff in that list is going up in points and the list won't exist after next week, while mine probably will. I've not encountered any other list I couldn't handle, although Luke/Wedge/Thane all with pTorps is pretty rough.

I'll answer a couple of questions ahead of time:

Q: Why Lone Wolf instead of Juke on Rexler?
A: Proton Torps. The only ship in my list that can take more than one pTorp per round is Rexler. I'll offer him up and let him take most of the torpedoes. He'll lose his shields and then be fine. Without Lone Wolf I was getting into hull, and crits hurt. With it, I rarely get into hull.

Q: Isn't that bid too low?
A: You're going to have to learn how to fly without moving last on your i5s. Luckily, Soontir cares more about moving last than the other two, and only has to worry about other sixes. Poe is his biggest threat, and I can usually make him spend his actions on repositioning rather than offense. It takes bad luck to lose Soontir to that. For the other two, Rexler honestly DGAF about going first or last. He'll get behind someone eventually. Duchess is a disgusting blocker if she goes first. Both get passive modifications and end up with (the equivalent of) focus/evade every turn anyway.

Q: I really want a bigger bid. What should I drop?
A: In order: Predator on Duchess, then Predator on Soontir. If that's still not enough for you, fly a different list.

ConfusedUs fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Jan 22, 2019

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

The Gate posted:

This isn't necessarily going to solve the debate on this issue, but this isn't a reading of the rules sort of thing. It's actually under the Ability Queue section of the rules reference, game effects occur before card effects.

Both Baffles and the rules for removing tokens share the same timing of "During the end phase".

Edit: this is the basis of why you can't link or otherwise insert an extra action before you get the stress from a red action. The game effect of "you get a stress token after you take a red action" has to resolve before the "take an extra action after this action" part. So you're stressed before you could resolve the action.

As to whether removing tokens counts as a game effect or not...I can't imagine it isn't, but boy is that going to create issues, as we're seeing. Tavson is kind of just cute, though, since you can't dupe actions and it's charge limited. End phase coordinate is pretty awesome.

Okay cool, thanks for the explanation.

Now, do we have a list of what are "game effects" vs what are not?

My guess is that "game effect" is anything caused by the core rules, which is different from anything caused by a card.

(If so, both QD and Tavson still work since you'd have to remove tokens before triggering baffles)

Funzo
Dec 6, 2002

I still like flying Whisper/Dutchess/Soontir, but yeah, that's going to be prohibitively expensive after the points changes I think. As mush as I love Whisper with Darth, I think I'm going to have to come up with something else.

canyonero
Aug 3, 2006
Is Resistance Han the best counter to Triple Upsilons?

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

canyonero posted:

Is Resistance Han the best counter to Triple Upsilons?

Han Yolo and Boba crew are both hard counters.

They also hate any list that can lose one or two ships, but still have enough firepower to whittle them down. Not many 3-ship lists can do it, but most four ship lists and pretty much all lists with 5+ can.

I don't see it winning any major tournaments, but it'll be a pretty good gatekeeper list to keep jank away. (Which is sad)

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013

ConfusedUs posted:

I've been flying, and loving, Soontir/Duchess/Rexler. It's my preferred Extended format list.

Soontir + Predator
Duchess + Predator + Fifth Brother
Rexler + Lone Wolf

198 points

It gets annihilated by Soontir/Redline/Whisper. I lose about 70% of those. However, I am pretty sure most of the stuff in that list is going up in points and the list won't exist after next week, while mine probably will. I've not encountered any other list I couldn't handle, although Luke/Wedge/Thane all with pTorps is pretty rough.

I'll answer a couple of questions ahead of time:

Q: Why Lone Wolf instead of Juke on Rexler?
A: Proton Torps. The only ship in my list that can take more than one pTorp per round is Rexler. I'll offer him up and let him take most of the torpedoes. He'll lose his shields and then be fine. Without Lone Wolf I was getting into hull, and crits hurt. With it, I rarely get into hull.

Q: Isn't that bid too low?
A: You're going to have to learn how to fly without moving last on your i5s. Luckily, Soontir cares more about moving last than the other two, and only has to worry about other sixes. Poe is his biggest threat, and I can usually make him spend his actions on repositioning rather than offense. It takes bad luck to lose Soontir to that. For the other two, Rexler honestly DGAF about going first or last. He'll get behind someone eventually. Duchess is a disgusting blocker if she goes first. Both get passive modifications and end up with (the equivalent of) focus/evade every turn anyway.

Q: I really want a bigger bid. What should I drop?
A: In order: Predator on Duchess, then Predator on Soontir. If that's still not enough for you, fly a different list.

Thank you, I'll try that out. I already had it in mind that Rexler is there to basically be the un-ignorable big bad threat, and soak up damage, so that part makes sense to me. I'm going to try this out and possibly fly it in (my very first ever) regional at the end of February.

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!

ConfusedUs posted:

Okay cool, thanks for the explanation.

Now, do we have a list of what are "game effects" vs what are not?

My guess is that "game effect" is anything caused by the core rules, which is different from anything caused by a card.

(If so, both QD and Tavson still work since you'd have to remove tokens before triggering baffles)

That's my assumption, there's nothing technically listed about it that I'm aware of. On the other hand, if it's *not* the core game rules, we have zero indication of what is a game effect instead.

So yeah, RAW I think both of those Baffles tricks work. I doubt that it's intended, though, so we might see an FAQ or errata hopefully.

Then again, the double tap at I7 works RAW and is completely abusive and silly, and they approved that instead of just saying "no". So who knows?

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
Guys, I need loving help here. My dumbass local league tournament is Saturday,and is hyperspace format. Here are the bonus rules, which gives you extra ballots in the prize draws.

quote:

List Building Bounties
Have no I6 or I5 pilots in your list
Inlcude 2 Large base ships (can be claimed more than once)
Include 2 Medium base ships (can be claimed more than once)
Have no upgrade cards in your list
Fly a matching\thematic squad

"Example of thematic\matching squads: Black, Inferno, Red, Gold, Cavern... All pilots have to have a matching squad name
somewhere on their pilot cards or titles"

Game play Bounties (can be claimed once per game)
Destroy opponent's Marked ship (more explanation on this coming)*
Destroy a ship with a bomb or mine effect
Fly your ship off the board
Deal 2 or more face-up cards in one attack
Take a CRIT from overlapping an obstacle

Marked ship is basically you assign it to an enemy ship at the start of game. When that ship dies, it gets a bonus attack at init 0 and stays on the board.

For my lovely fiance I gave her a Gold squadron

BTL-A4 Y-wing - •Evaan Verlaine - 67
•Evaan Verlaine - Gold Three (36)
Expert Handling (2)
Ion Cannon Turret (6)
Proton Torpedoes (9)
R3 Astromech (3)
Seismic Charges (3)
Veteran Turret Gunner (8)

BTL-A4 Y-wing - •“Dutch” Vander - 70
•“Dutch” Vander - Gold Leader (42)
Expert Handling (2)
Ion Cannon Turret (6)
Proton Torpedoes (9)
R3 Astromech (3)

BTL-A4 Y-wing - Gold Squadron Veteran - 62
Gold Squadron Veteran - (34)
Expert Handling (2)
Ion Cannon Turret (6)
Proton Torpedoes (9)
R3 Astromech (3)

Total: 199/200

View in the X-Wing Squad Builder

Which gives her at two ballots, plus a good chance of the bomb kill.

I'm thinking this

T-70 X-wing - Black Squadron Ace - 57
Black Squadron Ace - (50)
Heroic (1)
R2 Astromech (6)
Integrated S-foils (Closed) (0)

T-70 X-wing - Black Squadron Ace - 57
Black Squadron Ace - (50)
Heroic (1)
R2 Astromech (6)

T-70 X-wing - •Poe Dameron - 83
•Poe Dameron - Trigger-Happy Flyboy (68)
Heroic (1)
R2 Astromech (6)
Black One (2)
Ferrosphere Paint (6)

Total: 197/200

Which gives me one ballot?

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Beyond is Finster's mad vision of Earth transformed.
What is the canonical R4 Poe build? Just Torps, R4, Black One?

I want to do a 2-ship list with either Han or Rey's Falcon.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
Do 4 Scum falcons :madmax:

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

TheCenturion posted:

Thank you, I'll try that out. I already had it in mind that Rexler is there to basically be the un-ignorable big bad threat, and soak up damage, so that part makes sense to me. I'm going to try this out and possibly fly it in (my very first ever) regional at the end of February.

I only bait with Rexler if there are unavoidable alpha strikes on the board. If he makes it to the late game at full health, you probably win, if only on points. Very few single ships can put a dent into focus/evade/3 greens. Dodge one arc, soak the other, snipe until they're dead. If they start playing the K-turn game with you, you definitely win.

I prefer to bait with Duchess, who can do some really crazy turn-and-run scenarios. Ailerons + turn + barrel roll can get you into all sorts of weird positions.

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

canyoneer posted:

Do 4 Scum falcons :madmax:

I assume it's tournament legal to use any of the Falcon models as a stand-in for the scum Falcon?

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Finster Dexter posted:

I assume it's tournament legal to use any of the Falcon models as a stand-in for the scum Falcon?

Technically, no. Each of the models is associated with a specific name (Customized YT-1300 vs Scavenged YT-1300, etc) and is thus considered a completely different ship.

I can't imagine anyone throwing a fit, though.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013

ConfusedUs posted:

I only bait with Rexler if there are unavoidable alpha strikes on the board. If he makes it to the late game at full health, you probably win, if only on points. Very few single ships can put a dent into focus/evade/3 greens. Dodge one arc, soak the other, snipe until they're dead. If they start playing the K-turn game with you, you definitely win.

I prefer to bait with Duchess, who can do some really crazy turn-and-run scenarios. Ailerons + turn + barrel roll can get you into all sorts of weird positions.

Fair enough. I've never flown a striker, so I better lay hands on one and start practicing.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

Looks like we're going to break the 200 player mark at PHX system open

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

TheCenturion posted:

Fair enough. I've never flown a striker, so I better lay hands on one and start practicing.

The Ailerons will screw you up a fair bit at first, but it’s an even bigger issue for whoever you’re playing against. Ease into them with Duchess, but the true comedy lies with Countdown and Pure Sabaac.

KongGeorgeVII
Feb 17, 2009

Flow like a
harpoon
daily and nightly.

ConfusedUs posted:

Technically, no. Each of the models is associated with a specific name (Customized YT-1300 vs Scavenged YT-1300, etc) and is thus considered a completely different ship.

I can't imagine anyone throwing a fit, though.

The problem isn't the models, it's getting enough cardboard bases. They aren't in the conversion kits so you actually need to buy 4 scum falcons anyway or at least borrow from friends.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

For playing on my laptop: Vassal or TTS?

soulfulspinster
Aug 2, 2012

bunnyofdoom posted:

For playing on my laptop: Vassal or TTS?

Fly Casual, it's a freeware that's not updated often but it's the easiest to use of the three.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

soulfulspinster posted:

Fly Casual, it's a freeware that's not updated often but it's the easiest to use of the three.

It’s also horrifically buggy (unless it’s improved recently)

Funzo
Dec 6, 2002

I finally got TTS up and running today for X-Wing. I think I have the basics figured out but holy poo poo are the camera controls garbage.

Cobbsprite
May 6, 2012

Threatening stuffed animals for fun and profit.

Funzo posted:

I finally got ... the basic ... garbage.

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats
Honestly, all ways of playing X-Wing on a PC are hot garbage

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
Vassal is the least... hot... of the garbage, for my money. Playing vs AI is never going to be brilliant, and TTS costs money so gently caress that.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

So there's a small tournament coming up at my LGS and I'm thinking of running this. Any criticisms?

T-65 X-wing - •Luke Skywalker - 76
•Luke Skywalker - Red Five (62)
R4 Astromech (2)
Supernatural Reflexes (12)
Servomotor S-foils (Open) (0)

T-65 X-wing - •Wedge Antilles - 60
•Wedge Antilles - Red Two (52)
Outmaneuver (6)
R4 Astromech (2)

ARC-170 Starfighter - •Norra Wexley - 64
•Norra Wexley - Gold Nine (55)
Proton Torpedoes (9)

Total: 200/200

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Floppychop posted:

So there's a small tournament coming up at my LGS and I'm thinking of running this. Any criticisms?

R4 Astromech (2)

Outmaneuver (6)
R4 Astromech (2)

Proton Torpedoes (9)

Um could you tone it down a bit and make the list a little more lovely so I can maybe win a game.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Floppychop posted:

R4 Astromech (2)

Outmaneuver (6)
R4 Astromech (2)

Proton Torpedoes (9)

Outmaneuver is a trap on wedge.

Drop both R4s and Outmaneuver, give Wedge a torp. Blow poo poo up.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

Last year's system open in Phoenix was one of the first big showings of Ghost/Fenn, with 2 in the final match.
This year I hope it's not crowded with triple upsilons.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

canyoneer posted:

Last year's system open in Phoenix was one of the first big showings of Ghost/Fenn, with 2 in the final match.
This year I hope it's not crowded with triple upsilons.

I expect a bunch, and maybe a couple in the cut, where they'll burn out against actual Real Good players.It's not Ghost/Fenn level, thankfully. There is counterplay, and that counterplay, after the literal first round, is mostly to play as fast as possible. Tripsilons wins on time more than anything.

But regardless of its final performance, it will wreck the mid tables. It's comparable to quad TLTs in terms of how effective a gatekeeper it will be.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

Also, here's the system open rulings document for Phoenix this weekend.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B5zZd3xeZTfPQzZsRDB3QlQ1VmFsOTdpMFpfTVFZZVBVemNj/view?usp=sharing

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!
Good stuff. Happy to see they made token removal it's own step and clarified the end of turn actions.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Hmmmm, should I run triple t70s (Poe + 2 black squad aces) or triple t65s (Wedge, Luke, Garven)? (Notes: All have to be same squadron, and hyperspace restrictions)

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

I feel like the timing of circular tokens is wrong; it should be before any other "during the end phase" effects.

But if it's clearly stated like this, it's no big deal for me.

Have you posted this publicly anywhere that actually matters (lol SA is dead), like FFG forums or reddit, where you can take/answer questions to further clarify things prior to the event?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

ConfusedUs posted:

I feel like the timing of circular tokens is wrong; it should be before any other "during the end phase" effects.

But if it's clearly stated like this, it's no big deal for me.

Have you posted this publicly anywhere that actually matters (lol SA is dead), like FFG forums or reddit, where you can take/answer questions to further clarify things prior to the event?

It got emailed to all the attendees, and most of the sticky ones are based off rulings from PAX.