Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What type of plants are you interested in growing?
This poll is closed.
Perennials! 142 20.91%
Annuals! 30 4.42%
Woody plants! 62 9.13%
Succulent plants! 171 25.18%
Tropical plants! 60 8.84%
Non-vascular plants are the best! 31 4.57%
Screw you, I'd rather eat them! 183 26.95%
Total: 679 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

Beardcrumb posted:

Pretty sure you can snip them off no probs. Should see more leaf growth after that point too.

So this is weird. Just noticed that one of the bulbs opened up and the thing inside looks alien. I mean it looks normal like in the pictures, but it’s just weird and oddly smooth. I also see the beginning of a new leaf poking through one of the old sheaths(?). I think I’ll just leave it be for now :shrug:.

Plants are weird.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

I bought this tiny monstera the other week like this, not looking too great but surviving. The part above the red line I drew was already chopped off like that.

Will new leaves ever grow from this end again if I just leave it as it is? From what I understand it’s a dead end right? These seem to grow in a line in succession.

If I want to clone this plant is the red line the proper place to cut it?

(I know I should repot this or add more soul but I’ve been busy.)

Boris Galerkin fucked around with this message at 08:03 on Dec 12, 2018

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

Small update: i was totally wrong about that monstera because there’s a green thing sprouting out from the part that was chopped off 😀. Also, one of those flower bulbs on the philodendron just … disappeared. It looks like the stem that was connecting it to the plant just withered and the whole thing fell off. I guess nature does have a way to deal with it :shrug:

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

What are these weird growths on my parlor palm?

I feel like they just appeared out of no where and the tallest ones are about 3/4 the height of the plant.

Big Nubbins
Jun 1, 2004
It’s giving you flowers because It’s a healthy happy plant! You should see some tiny ones once the buds open. I don’t recall if they’re fragrant or not.

My parlor palm needs some TLC as it’s got wooly aphids and not looking its best.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

Shame Boner posted:

It’s giving you flowers because It’s a healthy happy plant! You should see some tiny ones once the buds open. I don’t recall if they’re fragrant or not.

My parlor palm needs some TLC as it’s got wooly aphids and not looking its best.

Oh wow, that’s cool. Are those little ball things the flowers then?

Big Nubbins
Jun 1, 2004

Boris Galerkin posted:

Oh wow, that’s cool. Are those little ball things the flowers then?

They're the flower buds, yes. They're not terribly showy once they bloom, but cool nonetheless. They seem to appear overnight, as you said, once the flower head starts to unfurl. I think you might have a female plant there, but it's tough to tell until the flowers open. Fun fact: the inflorescence of the parlor palm can be eaten raw or cooked like asparagus.

Female flowers

Male flowers

Big Nubbins fucked around with this message at 15:19 on Dec 28, 2018

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I thought plants were both female and male :shrug:. This is exciting to look forward to though!

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Boris Galerkin posted:

I thought plants were both female and male :shrug:. This is exciting to look forward to though!

Most are. Some, like the gingko, are only one.

e: Looks like the parlor palm isn't only male or female like the ginkgo, but it has male and female flowers. Pine cones are like that too.

Stultus Maximus fucked around with this message at 16:07 on Dec 28, 2018

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

Now I’m wondering if it’s flowering all of a sudden because I moved it up next to a south facing window the other day? I have it tucked away in a spot where it doesn’t get too much sun, plus it’s winter and cloudy all the time. There was a day this week where it was partially clear so I moved all my plants up against the south facing (glass) doors to soak up whatever they can get.

E: I don’t really know much about plants if you couldn’t tell. For some reason I thought plants only flowered in spring.

E2: Now that I think of it this plant has been growing a lot lately. It’s like every week there’s a new shoot or two unfurling with new leaves.

Boris Galerkin fucked around with this message at 16:21 on Dec 28, 2018

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED
Is it flowering because its happy or because its stressed and how do you tell?

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
I tried growing an oak some time ago from an acorn but some drat deer or something ate the plant. Well now I got another acorn my fiancé found this autumn where a buncha oaks grow, but I forgot about it and it's been indoors for months now in a dry climate and it has dried up and cracked at the base. Is this viable anymore?

TheMightyHandful
Dec 8, 2008

Pretty happy with 6 months growth on my philodendron cutting!

Amara
Jun 4, 2009
Is there a guide for indoor air-filtering plants that do okay in relatively dim and cool conditions? I don't care about pretty much any properties except that 1) it improves air quality and 2) it grows even with indirect light during the day and only a little fluorescent light in the evening. And I guess a few different ones for some variety?

Nosre
Apr 16, 2002

Spider plants are supposedly air filterers and ridiculously forgiving

TheMightyHandful
Dec 8, 2008

Amara posted:

Is there a guide for indoor air-filtering plants that do okay in relatively dim and cool conditions? I don't care about pretty much any properties except that 1) it improves air quality and 2) it grows even with indirect light during the day and only a little fluorescent light in the evening. And I guess a few different ones for some variety?

https://greatist.com/connect/houseplants-that-clean-air

spider plant and mother in law's tongue are hardy as hell.

Marchegiana
Jan 31, 2006

. . . Bitch.
There's also the unkillable pothos

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Boy, I wish we had one of those doomsday machines...
Peace Lilly

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002
ZZ plant

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

TheMightyHandful posted:

https://greatist.com/connect/houseplants-that-clean-air

spider plant and mother in law's tongue are hardy as hell.

Yeah this one links to the NASA study. Pretty much all of those want indirect light, being plants whose original habitat is the floor of tropical rainforests.

Note that "dim" should still be "there's a window nearby", not in a windowless bathroom or something.

TheMightyHandful
Dec 8, 2008

Marchegiana posted:

There's also the unkillable pothos

Definitely unkillable!

Amara
Jun 4, 2009
Hmm I did see that site as well. Guess I'll start with a few plants and see how they do.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

Amara posted:

Hmm I did see that site as well. Guess I'll start with a few plants and see how they do.

Get a pothos and feel like you have the greenest thumb it's great

Lacrosse
Jun 16, 2010

>:V

I bought a bird's nest fern today and I am in love with it. It's so photogenic.

I have a dark corner I intend to put a plant light in and I really wanted one of those swiss cheese plants to put there until I read that it's toxic to cats. Unfortunately I have two plant eating monsters at home that are dummer than a box of rocks, so much so that one of them bit the top off one of my super spiny cactus. I saw this birds nest fern at a plant shop in Seattle and bought it the instant I found out it was safe for pets. Got it home and the cats want to eat the absolute heck out of it, so I'm probably going to have to take it to work to save it from them.

I have a poor neglected rubber tree that's about 6 feet tall and has about as many leaves on it which I'll probably put that in the corner instead after I get it a new pot. It's too big for the 10" pot it's in, but I'm having trouble finding a larger ceramic pot to transplant it into since all the local garden centers purge their gardening stuff during the off-season. I might hit up Tacoma Boys because they have a nice selection of pretty pottery but I die of sticker shock every time I look at the price for one of those. I mean, I could get an ugly $10 plastic pot but I want something nice to look at if it's going to be in my living room.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

Do they actually clean the air? I mean, does 1-2 plants make any difference in an entire cubicle/apartment? I can’t imagine it would.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Boris Galerkin posted:

Do they actually clean the air? I mean, does 1-2 plants make any difference in an entire cubicle/apartment? I can’t imagine it would.

My understanding is "maybe, technically, sort of"

There seems to be some disagreement in the literature, and the effects are never reported to be very impressive. Here is a lecture with math that I don't understand: http://nas-sites.org/builtmicrobiome/files/2016/07/Michael-Waring-FOR-POSTING.pdf

The conclusion is that even an entire living wall will only have negligible effects on air quality.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

Fitzy Fitz posted:

My understanding is "maybe, technically, sort of"

There seems to be some disagreement in the literature, and the effects are never reported to be very impressive. Here is a lecture with math that I don't understand: http://nas-sites.org/builtmicrobiome/files/2016/07/Michael-Waring-FOR-POSTING.pdf

The conclusion is that even an entire living wall will only have negligible effects on air quality.

That’s interesting, thanks. I mean even if they don’t clean anything perceivable house plants are still great. My rooms look so much more comfortable and homey with them.

Also that tiny monstera I posted on this page where I thought that nothing would grow from the circled part? Yeah a new thing just grew out of it, through the dead stuff and now it’s a whole leaf and it’ll probably start unrolling this weekend.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

There's always the NASA clean air plants study, great to use as an excuse to buy another plant.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/NASA_Clean_Air_Study

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

The NASA study is the main one cited in all the pop plant articles. It's a really generous reading of some very specific findings.

https://www.gardenmyths.com/garden-myth-born-plants-dont-purify-air/
https://www.lung.org/about-us/blog/2017/02/do-houseplants-really-improve-air-quality.html

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Yeah but it's still a great excuse to buy more plants

TheMightyHandful
Dec 8, 2008

"another study posted:

Our results suggest that active interaction with indoor plants can reduce physiological and psychological stress compared with mental work. This is accomplished through suppression of sympathetic nervous system activity and diastolic blood pressure and promotion of comfortable, soothed, and natural feeling

There are other benefits to plants inside too, on balance even more plants are good

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002
My variegated, blunt tipped jade plant flowered for the first time! I tried to get a picture, but it was too sunny outside behind it. It was my only jade to flower this year. Not bad considering how pot bound and neglected he was.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

kid sinister posted:

My variegated, blunt tipped jade plant flowered for the first time! I tried to get a picture, but it was too sunny outside behind it. It was my only jade to flower this year. Not bad considering how pot bound and neglected he was.

Don't they usually flower because they're extremely stressed? Or am I mistaken

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

So I live in this apartment building, and the landlord owns three houses next door, which he also rents out, and has the gardens all joined together.

Since moving in, I've been doing a bit of gardening here and there, but the grounds have generally been pretty neglected. (The landlord hasn't really had a property manager for nearly two years now). So, about two weeks ago, I agreed to take on the gardening (for pay) as a side job. The landlord is pretty happy to throw a bit of money at things (he quoted something like $200 a week as a budget for plants. In addition, he has a chunk of money to put into his pet project of building a small creek and network of ponds through the front yard, and putting in a hedge out front.

So far I've tackled two garden beds:

Shed garden before

Shed garden after

I put in a combination of kinnikinnick and heather as a border, and these neat recycled car tire "bricks" as edging. (They're hollow and have an edge so you just stomp them in.) I also put in some bulbs and a snowberry, and found some yarrow growing in amongst the grass which I kept.

Dry garden (not likely to be irrigated in summer) before:

Dry garden after:

Those central plants are bog rosemary, which the nursery guy insisted would be drought tolerant. My local plants book says they grow in bogs, so I'm less sure, but we'll see! The rest are hens-and-chicks and stonecrop, both of which should survive PNW winters as well as dry summers. I still want to add edging, but need to check in with the landlord, since apparently he has *feelings* about borders on garden beds. (He also owns a rototiller, and I think some of his feelings go along the lines of "can I just rototill the gently caress out of it if I think it's messy Y/N?")

I'll try and post updates as I go.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

And yes, that is a buddleia, and yes I really want to persuade the landlord to allow me to kill it with extreme prejudice.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

I wish my landlord would pay me to do that. Put in some blueberries imo.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

A few months ago people were talking about growing new jade plants. I thought I'd post a picture of the one I started growing last summer. It started as a leaf fallen off of a coworker's plant. I stuck it in some dirt on my office windowsill and 7 months later it's doing quite well. The big leaf on the right is the original leaf. I'm looking forward to it getting a trunk.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Has anyone grown Pilea peperomioides? It was on a back-to-school list of good dorm plants that don't need a lot of light, water, or, really, attention. The specific blurb was "Simply adorable – this compact houseplant thrives in low light, has round leaves, and grows slowly." This from a local nursery I trust implicitly with any plant they sell.

I bought one for my son's bedroom, which is south-facing, has a nice big window, and gets a good amount of light indirect. But the thing went from this:

to a shadow of itself in a couple of months, more like this (not my photo):

All of its leaves turned black and fell off within a week or two of moving in, and now it's down to the bare central stem and a handful of tiny green baby sprouts around it.

I usually have much, much better luck with houseplants, so this is confounding me. I've been watering it conservatively, which seems to have been the right move. Am I better off shearing off the pups and propagating new plants, or is there life in the (not-so-)old thing yet? I can move it so it gets more or less light.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

Fitzy Fitz posted:

I wish my landlord would pay me to do that. Put in some blueberries imo.

Oh yeah -- this is the berry patch to be:

There are raspberries already (coming through the fence from the neighbours). We'll probably put in a few more (need to support them properly though). The landlord is also keen for a large strawberry patch in there, and a bunch of blueberries. I may try and source some more interesting berries, like haskap and Saskatoon, but there'll definitely be blueberries.

I still need to decide what to do with that kale -- I think some of it is perennial. Also that's a garlic patch I planted last year before I'd formally taken this on, and I would like to harvest them. I may try and make part of the bed be a kale patch long-term.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

Hirayuki posted:

Has anyone grown Pilea peperomioides? It was on a back-to-school list of good dorm plants that don't need a lot of light, water, or, really, attention. The specific blurb was "Simply adorable – this compact houseplant thrives in low light, has round leaves, and grows slowly." This from a local nursery I trust implicitly with any plant they sell.

I bought one for my son's bedroom, which is south-facing, has a nice big window, and gets a good amount of light indirect. But the thing went from this:

to a shadow of itself in a couple of months, more like this (not my photo):

All of its leaves turned black and fell off within a week or two of moving in, and now it's down to the bare central stem and a handful of tiny green baby sprouts around it.

I usually have much, much better luck with houseplants, so this is confounding me. I've been watering it conservatively, which seems to have been the right move. Am I better off shearing off the pups and propagating new plants, or is there life in the (not-so-)old thing yet? I can move it so it gets more or less light.

Possibly dumb question, but does that pot have drainage holes? If not, that could be the issue.

Also, here's a blog I found with a detailed troubleshooter just for this species: https://www.pilea.com/blog/common-pilea-foliage-problems