Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

DynamicSloth posted:

That is a condition that will never be met because an actual wall would cost more then 5.7 billion. All Trump does is sign this bill and say "actually I'm going to find a way to build a wall with this money" he doesn't have to actually change how the money is allocated he just points at an existing portion of wall, say "there's the wall I'm building with that 5.7 billion" and laugh as the fact checkers give him the same number of pinocchios they give @AOC for quoting Keynes.

Clyburn also didn't say poo poo about DACA, I'd take the deal for permanent DACA but there's no reason to think that's the Democrats' position.

You're right, the wall is impossible. This whole thing has in fact been very stupid and has involved a bunch of parties steadily driving themselves into a corner of their own making. Even if he can't finish the wall he needs some sort of progress towards it, and although people keep saying he can point to pre-existing wall I doubt that will fly since what the right wing pundits and his base ultimately want is a new monument to white supremacy. poo poo if that had a chance at working they'd have already done that.

Clyburn's proposal's dumb but it's not going to be a win for Trump because it doesn't meet the parameters he needs to get the right wing pundits off his back.

edit: i dunno here's a cat video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2J1ynsuWcNQ

TGLT fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Jan 23, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747
What's stopping Trump from just taking those non structure funds and demanding a border wall be built anyway? It's still the right play but I could see Trump just doing the illegal building just because nobody has the power to stop him.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Fart City posted:

I’m sure he’s conflating those sad prototypes sitting lonsomely in the desert as “production.”

The chuds bought it; that's all he cares about.

Whatever happened to that GoFundMe they were putting together to Build The Wall?

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

The thing about McConnell is that he's never said or done anything that isn't 100% in bad faith. He's human refuse.

friendbot2000
May 1, 2011

Fritz Coldcockin posted:

The chuds bought it; that's all he cares about.

Whatever happened to that GoFundMe they were putting together to Build The Wall?

GoFundMe shut it down and returned the money iirc

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Why not just let Trump have his state of the union? Every public speech is another opportunity for him to start sundowning in the middle of it and start screaming for his mother. This isn't a rally, it's not like he's going to enjoy it. but he will enjoy doing anything in his power to go behind Pelosi to have his speech. Pelosi seems equally petulant in all this IMO, yes a real and true Both Sides. Trump and co. would be dreading this speech if Pelosi never said he couldn't do it.

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

I can't remember why I'm mad at you...

Crow Jane posted:

Problem with that is Destruction also represents creation, and chuds suck at anything creative

Make him a Creationist.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

I've never met Mitch but I hate him more than anyone since he adds literally nothing positive to this world so I don't really agree with his massively hypocritical statement.

What an absolute waste of time.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Deified Data posted:

Why not just let Trump have his state of the union? Every public speech is another opportunity for him to start sundowning in the middle of it and start screaming for his mother. This isn't a rally, it's not like he's going to enjoy it. but he will enjoy doing anything in his power to go behind Pelosi to have his speech. Pelosi seems equally petulant in all this IMO, yes a real and true Both Sides. Trump and co. would be dreading this speech if Pelosi never said he couldn't do it.

lol what a bad take

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Fart City posted:

I’m sure he’s conflating those sad prototypes sitting lonsomely in the desert as “production.”
Probably a combination of the prototypes and places where there were already existing barriers or barriers being replaced as part of previous security planning; there is a substantial amount of fencing and walls at specific places along the border that he'd probably happily claim as part of 'his' wall.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Deified Data posted:

because he's terribly unpopular and they should gently caress with him as much as possible. why let him lie in the chamber you control?

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Deified Data posted:

Pelosi seems equally petulant in all this IMO, yes a real and true Both Sides.

With all due respect: are you on glue?

The Super-Id
Nov 9, 2005

"You know it's what you really want."

Grimey Drawer

Deified Data posted:

I think she's right to use any and all opportunities to stall the normal process of government until Trump ends the shutdown. It is in his best interest to make it seem like the shutdown is not a big deal.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

"why not back down and give Trump what he wants?" is certainly not what i expected from anyone in this thread

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Deified Data posted:

Because he has shut down the government and he now has the sheer, poisonous gall to stand in front of them and go "this is fine, everything's fine and bigly and yooge" and Pelosi shouldn't stand for it.

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747

Deified Data posted:

You should have deleted your post when you realized this. Trump and the Senate Republicans (and the outgoing GOP house for that matter) are the only ones to blame for the current shutdown. Pelosi flexing her power or not wouldn't change this shutdown by a day.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

Deified Data posted:

Because this is a good opportunity for checks and balances to actually be demonstrated.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Fart City posted:

That and the fences that have already been there for years at entry points and urban areas.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

I haven't been paying attention: are we still on for Thursday's vote or has Mitch hosed that?

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

How the gently caress do you give a "State of the Union" when the government is shuttered besides anything other than "poo poo's hosed"? And you want to let him claim everything is bigly and great to his idiotic base?

Really?

Deified Data posted:

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

the rumor that trump's people were writing a SOTU speech for a rally is incredible and an absolute best-case scenario for dems

he'll be throwing a tantrum, immediately go off script, and all the news will be how nuts it was

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
I'm sure a sociopath who literally doesn't care at all who gets hurt from his actions will learn the right lesson if he gets what he wants as a result of taking 800,000 people's livelihoods hostage....

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Fritz Coldcockin posted:

This. The kids who used to torment me in elementary/middle school could smooth-talk their way out of trouble every. loving. Time.

Even better if you dared to resist in any way they would often rush to tell authority figures, casting themselves as the victims.

loving 10 year olds understand how to muddy up their bullying to take advantage of the "both sides, can't assign any blame" narrative, yet the media still falls hard for it with conservatives.

CuddleCryptid posted:

And no audience members except for sitting reps and senators. No families, no outside parties. Y'know, for security.

Makes sense really. Wouldn't want to make anyone extra work without pay unless absolutely necessary.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
At the very least Trump should be the only one miced, no reaction audio at all.

Rex-Goliath posted:

I haven't been paying attention: are we still on for Thursday's vote or has Mitch hosed that?

We're still on for some kind of vote but there's a lot of uncertainty over what exactly will happen or what dirty tricks Mitch will pull to try to shift blame.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!
I'm actually wondering if Pelosi suggested not having it specifically so he *would* insist on having it live, and make an rear end of himself.

friendbot2000
May 1, 2011

https://twitter.com/chelseaperetti/status/1087757743081943040

Ahahahaha I actually have heard this Christian Prayer before and anyone who utters it needs to be marooned on a deserted island that is sinking due to rising ocean levels.

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

Deified Data posted:

Government business can't be conducted until the government is open. The SOTU speech is government business. Once Trump starts acting like an adult and re-opens the government, he can give his big boy speech.

The shutdown started in December 2018 when the Republicans held both chambers of Congress. Now McConnell has refused multiple times to put a stop to the shutdown up for vote and Trump has said he'll veto anything without wall funding.

The Republicans are fully responsible for the shutdown.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

https://twitter.com/GreatDismal/status/1087899405192032256

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

Rex-Goliath posted:

Unless I missed something it should still be on. Which is why Clyburn floating another proposal is kinda dumb, should wait to see how the current batch shake out.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

friendbot2000 posted:

https://twitter.com/chelseaperetti/status/1087757743081943040

Ahahahaha I actually have heard this Christian Prayer before and anyone who utters it needs to be marooned on a deserted island that is sinking due to rising ocean levels.

American Christianity is rotten to the core. That is just the truth.

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

It’s gonna be pretty hard to watch Trump trash Pelosi while she sits directly behind him

friendbot2000
May 1, 2011

Nail Rat posted:

I'm actually wondering if Pelosi suggested not having it specifically so he *would* insist on having it live, and make an rear end of himself.

She seems to know exactly what pushes his buttons and does so repeatedly. Like calling him Donald lol

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Starks posted:

It’s gonna be pretty hard to watch Trump trash Pelosi while she sits directly behind him

that's not happening, which is what we're talking about right now?

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Shifty Pony posted:

Even better if you dared to resist in any way they would often rush to tell authority figures, casting themselves as the victims.

I remember getting shoved repeatedly until I fell backwards onto the ground and hit my head. My tormentor and I received the same punishment, despite the fact that I had a half-inch-long gash on the back of my head and was bleeding--after all, zero tolerance meant that all "participants" in a fight got the same treatment.

Ugh.

friendbot2000
May 1, 2011

Just a reminder, Donny and Melania's Anniversary was yesterday and there was not one word from him on it.

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747
The fact of the matter is Donald Trump could give the SOTU from the oval office, the senate floor, even from fuckin Trump Tower New York or Mar lago if he wanted to. This is specifically him trying to get Pelosi to back down because he's a lovely bully.

CmdrRiker
Apr 8, 2016

You dismally untalented little creep!

Discendo Vox posted:

That's a very long story. To vastly oversimplify things, the shutdown scenario has three parts:

1. A Constitutional provision that Congress has ultimate control over appropriations. This is so the President can't do things directly with state money (like take over the government).

This is reasonable.

2. The Antideficiency Act, a 1880s law that basically required that executive and other divisions of the federal government can't spend money that hasn't been allocated to them by congress. Government personnel were basically running up debts, and then expecting congress would cover them under threat of halting services.

This was, generally, reasonable. If this sort of coercive deficiency were permissible, it could otherwise permit unconstitutional violation of balance of powers by other means. The law has been revised several times, but to simplify, the original intention was basically that when they ran out of funding, agencies had to stop doing things that weren't essential to their function (think office parties) and couldn't intentionally run up debts.

These sort of "shutdowns" were anticipated to be case by case, a huge embarrassment for the officials involved, and temporary; there was not any larger "shutdown" structure. However, the language of the law was vague about scope, and it assumed that budgets would be renewed. A Congress that failed to fund things was conceived as too incompetent or insane to exist.

Note that even now, shutdowns are department-specific. We get these big shutdowns because we have big, cyclic general spending bills, and they occur more often because we use CRs.

3. USAG Ben Civiletti, Carter's USAG pick, issued guidance in 1980-81 that tried to resolve the ambiguity of the Antideficiency Act by interpreting it way more strictly. The whole furlough, work without pay, all non-essential personnel, etc language we have now stems from the attempt to grapple with these opinions.

These opinions weren't reasonable, and are the largest single point of issue in this mess. They were (as nearly as I can tell without digging through them) a good-faith move to respond to a series of earlier funding gaps caused by Carter getting into fights with the Democrat-controlled congress over particluar issues. The opinions were also written to guide federal response to two shutdowns: the first was an FTC funding gap during the Carter administration, and the second was a fight between Reagan and the Republican senate versus the Democratic House that effected pretty much the whole federal budget.

That said, there are other root problems:

1. The need for cyclic re-appropriation of budgets (especially by CR).
2. The insanity of small government Republicans (which, remember, reached a height of popularity with Reagan, creating a big norm shift in favor of shutdowns).
3. Line item versus omnibus spending bills.
4. Details of House and Senate rules on budget formulation that make single-issue gridlock much more likely - I haven't read up on these in years, but they're a major factor.

If we wanted to resolve this issue, I would in particular focus on modifying the rules of order and the Antideficiency Act to permit many executive branch funding lines to continue unchanged in the event that a reauthorization bill does not pass.

Isn't that what caused all of the issues in the first place? Unchanged funding determined by the Executive branch allows a loophole for non congressionally appropriated funding.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

eke out posted:

"why not back down and give Trump what he wants?" is certainly not what i expected from anyone in this thread

That's...not my point lol. "Why make the state of the union a fight at all, and give him a false sense of accomplishment when he inevitably gets to deliver it" is closer. Of course we can't go back on it now. I'm saying it was a dumb fight to start in the first place. I thought "Trump and the GOP are obstructing the government from functioning" was the narrative we were going for?

TulliusCicero posted:

How the gently caress do you give a "State of the Union" when the government is shuttered besides anything other than "poo poo's hosed"? And you want to let him claim everything is bigly and great to his idiotic base?

Really?

That's what he already does. All of the time. And they believe him.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

https://twitter.com/jonlovett/status/1088133799534157824

Yes, Obamabro.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

friendbot2000 posted:

Just a reminder, Donny and Melania's Anniversary was yesterday and there was not one word from him on it.
I highly doubt that they actually talk