Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
So Miata's are good then?

I can never tell with AI. Like I always liked Volkswagens, but I've learned I'm an idiot for ever liking Volkswagens.

At least the hive mind and I agree that Chrysler and Fiat are pieces of poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?

Krispy Wafer posted:

So Miata's are good then?

I can never tell with AI. Like I always liked Volkswagens, but I've learned I'm an idiot for ever liking Volkswagens.

At least the hive mind and I agree that Chrysler and Fiat are pieces of poo poo.

Miatas are the unofficial AI mascot.

VWs get some hatred for being German and solving non-issues with complexity, but they're decent cars. The whole wiring harness coolant poo poo and the diesel emissions trickery didn't help.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
the Mk 4 Golf platform stuff was unreliable garbage, they're a lot better now

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

My 83 Rabbit (Golf) was super awesome and reliable and tough as hell, my brother's 2002 Beetle not so much. Got a "great deal" on it when it was 2 years old with like 20k miles, ended up needing to eventually replace the engine, wiring harness, all sorts of other little poo poo that added up to a lot. Sunk more into it than he paid for it, and still had random electrical issues until he sold it at a massive loss.

potee
Jul 23, 2007

Or, you know.

Not fine.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

My personal favorite "feature" on the Mk4 was the wax sealant that was chemically similar to crayons, and in hot weather made the whole car smell like a Crayola factory.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

Enos Cabell posted:

2002 Beetle
random electrical issues

https://www.myturbodiesel.com/wiki/coolant-migration-on-vw-from-defective-coolant-reservoir/

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Enos Cabell posted:

My 83 Rabbit (Golf) was super awesome and reliable and tough as hell, my brother's 2002 Beetle not so much. Got a "great deal" on it when it was 2 years old with like 20k miles, ended up needing to eventually replace the engine, wiring harness, all sorts of other little poo poo that added up to a lot. Sunk more into it than he paid for it, and still had random electrical issues until he sold it at a massive loss.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

potee posted:

My personal favorite "feature" on the Mk4 was the wax sealant that was chemically similar to crayons, and in hot weather made the whole car smell like a Crayola factory.

Is that what this is? My Mercedes smells like crayons in the summer and I always figured it was the plastic offgasing.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Oh man, I don't think my brother or his mechanic ever figured that out but it sounds like exactly what he was dealing with.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Hah yeah, was just adding my anecdote to support half of that claim. I'm too gun shy to give them another chance for a while though, my next ride is probably a Volvo V60.

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

For the love of god someone please post non-car content. PLEASE!

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

Chaotic Flame posted:

We're here now. This is our hell.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

Chaotic Flame posted:

Sir this is a car subforum.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Chaotic Flame posted:

I think Adiabatic needs to get on changing the Miata to the OFFICIAL car of AI.

For those of you just stopping by, E60/E61 BMWs (primarily the 535i) make a great, reliable grocery getter.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

I drove a 99 Grand Am for 12 years. It was both BWM and BWL.

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

Adiabatic posted:

Sir this is a car subforum.

AND A SMALL COKE

anybody need anything else?

NO THAT WILL BE ALL THANK YOU

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Really bummed that the thread missed the getting yeeted to Pet Island train that seemed to be on the table for a bit when the conversation went to horses

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

What you need to do is find some PI poster who is being BWM (preferably with horses) then bait them into trying to defend themselves in this thread.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

aphid_licker posted:

Really bummed that the thread missed the getting yeeted to Pet Island train that seemed to be on the table for a bit when the conversation went to horses

I was just about to give this back to BFC, but you're right, PI is probably better.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
This thread is going to get weird when it eventually makes it to TCC.

Crack is GWM compared to coke.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

Krispy Wafer posted:

This thread is going to get wired when it eventually makes it to TCC.

Crack is GWM compared to coke.

FTFY.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

I see it's time to start discussing how to finance a horse boat wedding.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Call me old fashioned, but I don't think a horse should ever marry a boat

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

This is what happens when you allow goon marriages.

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Motronic posted:

I see it's time to start discussing how to finance a horse boat wedding.

Just sell cocaine! You can even keep a little bit for your own use! Win-win-win!

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

potee posted:

Is that what that was?!

UCS Hellmaker
Mar 29, 2008
Toilet Rascal
Bwm getting a cat from a pet store (also morally wrong)

Gwm taking in the stray that has been hovering around the house and living in your old dog house. Then finding out it's litter trained and spayed.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

I bought some bitcoin using Wisebanc but then I realised it was a scam. (self.personalfinance)

submitted 28 minutes ago by Ofros
https://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/aj2k5t/i_bought_some_bitcoin_using_wisebanc_but_then_i/

quote:

Back in November I decided to try buying some bitcoin after seeing a post about it on facebook, the minimum purchase was £250 so I was hesitant but I eventually decided to give it a try, but the next day I logged in to my account and I still had exactly £250 in my account so I instantly knew something was off, I kept checking it and still kept seeing it's exactly £250, which doesn't seem right, it should be going up and down over time so I realised it was a scam. I looked all over their website to find a contact number or email but I couldn't see any contact information to attempt getting my money back, it's been since November and I still have done nothing about it because I have no idea where to start, can you please give me advise on how I go about getting my money back? Thanks in advance.

Somebody should ask which he figured out was a scam, Wisebanc or bitcoin.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
I wonder how many "stray" cats are kidnapped each year.

We took in a cat that had been living in our backyard for weeks. Years after he died, we met the neighbor from two doors down who told us about their orange tabby that went missing one day.

Oops.

(we gave him a good life though!!!)

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

I wonder how many "stray" cats are kidnapped each year.

We took in a cat that had been living in our backyard for weeks. Years after he died, we met the neighbor from two doors down who told us about their orange tabby that went missing one day.

Oops.

(we gave him a good life though!!!)
If only there were some way to provide identification and recovery information for pets.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
I don't think cats should ever go outside except under direct supervision, but for those that do, collars are too dangerous. They can lynch themselves even with a breakaway collar.

This guy was chipped, but like most cats, his chip data had never been updated since the humane society.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
https://www.cnbc.com/2019/01/23/how-much-money-americans-think-you-need-to-make-to-be-rich.html

quote:

To be considered “rich,” most Americans say you need an annual income of about $100,000.

The science is in!

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

:frogsiren: :thermidor: :frogsiren:

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

I don't think cats should ever go outside except under direct supervision, but for those that do, collars are too dangerous. They can lynch themselves even with a breakaway collar.

This guy was chipped, but like most cats, his chip data had never been updated since the humane society.
I've known probably dozens of outdoor cats over the years. As long as they're spayed or neutered, I don't see a problem with having a collared/chipped cat outside. I've literally never heard about issues with collars. In the city, I'd be less likely to consider letting a cat outdoors, but in the suburbs or especially out in the country it's kind of weird not to.

Hoodwinker fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Jan 23, 2019

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
Malamutes are expensive when they get hit by a car

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

I always like it when AI visits. Hi AI. At least our cash pits snuggle us in mostly non-lethal ways.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

I always like it when AI visits. Hi AI. At least our cash pits snuggle us in mostly non-lethal ways.

Even better, this is a BFC thread that's wandering around the forums this week.

howdoesishotweb
Nov 21, 2002

Hoodwinker posted:

I've known probably dozens of outdoor cats over the years. As long as they're spayed or neutered, I don't see a problem with having a collared/chipped cat outside. I've literally never heard about issues with collars. In the city, I'd be less likely to consider letting a cat outdoors, but in the suburbs or especially out in the country it's kind of weird not to.

gently caress outdoor cats cause they kill birds and piss in our sandbox

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

Petition to change thread title to "As preventative maintenance, get a new cat every 2 years" while we visit PI.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:
HOLY poo poo I've missed this thread I couldn't find it for the last three weeks and I was like "WHERE HAS ALL THE BAD WITH MONEY GONE?"

I found it only when someone told me that they moved it to loving AI.

edit: and in the time since I came here it's now moved to goddamn pet island.

At least now I have it bookmarked.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
"people in The Country do it" is like the biggest warning sign it's wrong.

Indoor cats are perfectly happy, live MUCH longer, and don't get terrible diseases, eaten by predators, hit by cars, hosed with by people, etc. If a cat is whining to go outside, it's bored and under stimulated. (or it spent a lot of its life outside... Pandora's box was opened)

Cats are also horrible for their environment as they kill everything and each other.

Indoor cats are best cats.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sepherothic
Feb 8, 2003

quote:

Oregon horse appeals dismissal of lawsuit against former owner
The Animal Legal Defense Fund is pressing ahead with a 2018 lawsuit on behalf of the horse, now named Justice, against the horse’s former owner.
The lawsuit sought $100,000 in damages to cover future treatment.

https://www.oregonlive.com/news/2019/01/oregon-horse-appeals-dismissal-of-lawsuit-against-former-owner.html

BWM : Buying a litigious horse.