Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Blind Rasputin posted:

I actually wondered after seeing it if SAM missiles utilized so,e sort of flachette technology to destroy planes, if they don’t they sh ups because it looked loving rad.

Not all SAMs of course, but many have a prox fuze where they either pre-planned detonate even if they are on path to hit the aircraft directly or they sometimes have a system such that if they sense they're getting closer and closer, but then the distance widens (i.e. about to overshoot or fly past), the warhead will detonate. This is typically done in a less fantastic way than portrayed in the movie, using something like a scored/pre-cut blast-frag sleeve in the missile.

Here's an example warhead from the missile fired from a Buk (SA-11/17) system.

Here's an old video of Patriot PAC-2 family missiles doing something similar
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2k-pBXw9kR0

Others require an actual strike on the target to trigger detonation. The Stinger missile currently works that way, though they are being upgraded to have a proximity fuse. Stingers self-destruct after a set travel distance so as to not have supersonic javelins full of sensitive components and explosives flying blindly well beyond their intended engagement range.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

mlmp08 posted:

Here's an old video of Patriot PAC-2 family missiles doing something similar
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2k-pBXw9kR0

The music is just awful.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
It fills me with awe. :colbert:

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
Here's what it'll do to an airliner cockpit.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

That air crew is super dead before impact

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

They found Mayalysa flight 17?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Blind Rasputin posted:

They've had the wreckage for a while, its how they were damned certain what brought it down.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

Blind Rasputin posted:

You're thinking of Malaysia Flight 370

Ultimate Shrek Fan
May 2, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Yea, that one is the one that """Ukranian Rebels""" brought down.

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?

AlexanderCA
Jul 21, 2010

by Cyrano4747

Godholio posted:

Here's what it'll do to an airliner cockpit.

Nuh-uh it was shot down by ukranian su25, Putin said so.
- actual Dutch fascist traitors :geert:

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

:yikes:

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

AlexanderCA posted:

Nuh-uh it was shot down by ukranian su25, Putin said so.
- actual Dutch fascist traitors :geert:

My brother-in-law bought this dumb narrative hook, line & sinker, because it was sold by a former commercial pilot and conspiracy theorist on YouTube in Germany.

That a SU-25 wasn't designed to operate at 30,000 feet, or intercept something flying at 800kph head-on with its cannon didn't matter.

Generation Internet
Jan 18, 2009

Where angels and generals fear to tread.
Didn't Russia also change their version of events like 5 times? I thought they ended up on "yeah it was a SAM but it was a Ukrainian SAM" or something

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

Duzzy Funlop posted:

My brother-in-law bought this dumb narrative hook, line & sinker, because it was sold by a former commercial pilot and conspiracy theorist on YouTube in Germany.

That a SU-25 wasn't designed to operate at 30,000 feet, or intercept something flying at 800kph head-on with its cannon didn't matter.

Your sister married a dumb motherfucker.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?
Dude's a lawyer, valedictorian, speaks four languages fluent and is smart as hell.

Education doesn't vaccinate against gullibility and "I'M JUST ASKING QUESTIONS" - stupidity, though.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Duzzy Funlop posted:

Dude's a lawyer,

Checks out

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

The dumbest fucks around when I worked the helldesk at uni for beer money were 1. medical professors 2. law professors. Sure there were some dumb pieces of ambulatory meat in other departments but those two stood out like the end of a hockey stick plot.

e: lest we forget, a certain presidential candidate who is pretty much one of the greates neurosurgeons ever and also believes the Bible literally. I just look on them as some variation of idiot savants these days.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Duzzy Funlop posted:

Dude's a lawyer, valedictorian, speaks four languages fluent and is smart as hell.

Education doesn't vaccinate against gullibility and "I'M JUST ASKING QUESTIONS" - stupidity, though.

Lawyer means nothing, and Valedictorian just means they can regurgitate info well.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

Force de Fappe posted:

e: lest we forget, a certain presidential candidate who is pretty much one of the greates neurosurgeons ever and also believes the Bible literally. I just look on them as some variation of idiot savants these days.

And that dumb fucker went to Yale.

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene
lol their are some genuinely loving stupid lawyers at my school who have drunk some type of kool aid and can barely communicate with regular human beings. Not because they're discussing complex topics mind you. It's because they're fully loving detached from reality

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?
Being a lawyer is %50 knowing what papers to file and when and %50 actually filing them. 80% of that is done by your office's para-legals.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Scratch Monkey posted:

Being a lawyer is %50 knowing what papers to file and when and %50 actually filing them. 80% of that is done by your office's para-legals.

Nah, not really. It depends largely on your field of work.

Kawasaki Nun posted:

lol their are some genuinely loving stupid lawyers at my school who have drunk some type of kool aid and can barely communicate with regular human beings. Not because they're discussing complex topics mind you. It's because they're fully loving detached from reality

I tried to warn you. It gets worse.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Anyone who thinks lawyers can't be dumber than poo poo hasn't spent enough time around them

CommieGIR posted:

Lawyer means nothing, and Valedictorian just means they can regurgitate info well.

The people, especially at public schools, who tend to be the best students are the ones who work the hardest. The language thing is impressive though

Richard Bong
Dec 11, 2008

Milo and POTUS posted:

Anyone who thinks lawyers can't be dumber than poo poo hasn't spent enough time around them

The people, especially at public schools, who tend to be the best students are the ones who work the hardest. The language thing is impressive though

Valedictorian is a mix or work ethic and intellect. You can’t be lazy and get it, and you can’t be dumb and get it.

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

Mr. Nice! posted:

Nah, not really. It depends largely on your field of work.

I tried to warn you. It gets worse.

Their detachment smacks of opportunity imo.

Tryzzub
Jan 1, 2007

Mudslide Experiment

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006
Seriously, shut the fuck up.

:dukedog:
That picture gave me a weird feeling that I really hate, and therefore hate you and the person that wrote that.

Tryzzub
Jan 1, 2007

Mudslide Experiment

Nystral
Feb 6, 2002

Every man likes a pretty girl with him at a skeleton dance.

:barf:

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

lol @ the tank name.

https://twitter.com/1stArmoredDiv/status/1088054289770135552

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Took me a second to read the barrel. "Dropped as a baby"

Hizawk
Jun 18, 2004

High on the Lions.

Long time ago (ten years), we put bring yellow tape on the back of our LAVs in huge lettering and named them. Maaaaatttt Daammonnn was the lead callsign, Bangbus, and Tim Hortons.

Richard Bong
Dec 11, 2008
My last name takes just a little fiddling to be a another word for erection. I put that on my turret chicken plate with some vinyl letters.

A sergeant major saw me in the turret at camp victory and yelled “what the gently caress is that doing on there?”

“It’s my name, I ran out of letters sergeant major!” I replied as sincerely as I could.

He looked at my name tape, showed no emotion, said nothing, and walked away. I couldn’t tell if he was trying not to laugh, thought I was an idiot, or both.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

This is good:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4dn6ZVpJLxs

Musk is a tremendous idiot.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Pretty sure you have to pay your child support because it's the law. Also, how lovely of a father do you have to be to get no visitation at all?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Sometimes you just need to live in a lovely state.