Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

"I'm the boss of space. That's plenty."

Dawgstar posted:

A new year brings a new Scion update, and this part stuck out:

The backdoor second edition of Fireborn I always wanted! I'm not even kidding.

There's also Scion: Masks of the Mythos which is all about introducing the usual suspects into your game. And Demigod is currently in first drafts.

this sounds real cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Dragons I'm meh on. Mythos could be cool if it's drawing from the less-usual suspects or has a significant focus on the Dreamlands. Like, rules on being a Scion of Cthulhu: tired; rules on how a Bast Scion can take the Cats of Ulthar as Followers 5: Wired. It could also draw from the more recent work in the Lovecraft mythos space without nearly so much of the racism, or use Mythos gribblies as a jumping-off point to various other alternate or extended concepts.

I do hope that these things are rather modular rather than being "Demigod expects you to collect 'em all."

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Chernobyl Peace Prize posted:

Predator Kings are my favorite because I like Super-Amish Murder Machines With Spirit Backup as a thing

The Super Amish are the Ivory Claws. The Predator Kings are the ones who are unironic Red Talons, except the ones who made it to the Outback and are just super chill because no one gives a poo poo if they attempt to go murder any giant spirit they see.

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

Mors Rattus posted:

The Super Amish are the Ivory Claws. The Predator Kings are the ones who are unironic Red Talons, except the ones who made it to the Outback and are just super chill because no one gives a poo poo if they attempt to go murder any giant spirit they see.
They're both Super Amish about different things though, the Ivory Claws are definitely the "best not stop round heah, English" Amish while the Predator Kings are "I can't do myself it but you can drive me in a van if I make a show of being upset about it" Amish, both of which are valid.

One thing I was kind of surprised about, re-reading their entry in the 1e The Pure, is how by 1e Harmony rules, the more degenerate a Predator King gets, the more animalistic but also more willing to just ignore the ban on not using tools of man they are. And also the sample character who just is like "yeah I have an office job, I'll do penance on the weekends" because if you said any WtF antagonist was going to be a weekend warrior, I would NOT guess Predator Kings.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
After some thought, I've determined that the proper replacement for the Hollow Ones in a modern Mage: the Ascension game would be painfully earnest Tumblr mystics using highly individual magic systems they based off of patron trolls and We Know The Devil.

The trouble with the Hollow Ones is that they come across as both unserious and insincere. I think to make the gutter magick concept work you have to be able to roll with the goofiness. (This applies to Mage in general, I guess.)

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world
Gutter magic should just take place at the bottom tiers of all Traditions, because many of the newly-Awakened lack proper training or institutional support in the wake of recent Traditionalist defeats.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Predator Kings are the best. They just want to hang out and be cool Wolves all the time. They actually make way less sense than Red Talons because they still are born human.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Ferrinus posted:

Gutter magic should just take place at the bottom tiers of all Traditions, because many of the newly-Awakened lack proper training or institutional support in the wake of recent Traditionalist defeats.

I'd honestly be perfectly okay with "gutter magick is noticeably less powerful than other paradigms, but requires way less training/money/decades-of-study/celibacy/drug-use."

Probably someone else will disagree strongly, though.

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

Lord_Hambrose posted:

Predator Kings are the best. They just want to hang out and be cool Wolves all the time. They actually make way less sense than Red Talons because they still are born human.
They even call that out in The Pure! A lot of converts to the Predator Kings who are people that were frustrated or marginalized by human society. Hate your boss at your lovely 39.5 hr/week job (and the OTHER 39.5 hr/week job you're working to make rent)? Good news! You can kill him and anyone else you want because the weak should fear the strong, and indeed, you're welcome to sever from human civilization and go hunt spirit monsters.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world

They even call that out in The Pure! A lot of converts to the Predator Kings who are people that were frustrated or marginalized by human society. Hate your boss at your lovely 39.5 hr/week job (and the OTHER 39.5 hr/week job you're working to make rent)? Good news! You can kill him and anyone else you want because the weak should fear the strong, and indeed, you're welcome to sever from human civilization and go hunt spirit monsters.

And yet, if I killed and ate him, I’d be the one to... gain a ton of Essence points? Wait just one second here-

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

On the other hand, the Pure are basically straight up wannabe supremacist neo-nazis in outlook in many of their depictions.

Like, when you get past the bullshit their overall ideology is basically "One day we're going to bring Pangaea back to Earth (Hint: It was never on Earth. Another thing they were wrong about.) so we can put the humies back in their proper place!". Heck, their own book pretty much straight up called them willfully self-deluding scum. 1e even pointed out that even the Maeljin and their minions have a hard time even taking them seriously since they basically ducked out on anything like responsibility to the rest of the world all while calling the Forsaken the bad guys.

The stuff about taking in people who feel marginalized is just another way actual real life neo-nazi and supremacist groups work. It's step one to try and radicalize people so they feel like they belong. After that is the peer pressure and generally all the other stuff that makes it hard to disconnect from the group when the person has doubts.

Only it's taken to ridiculous parody levels since it's a game about motherfucking werewolves. So instead of some socially awkward dude going to a bunch of parties and being made to feel wanted and useful while slowly getting radicalized you instead get Larry the Incel being told that yes --- gnawing his boss's face off because he's jealous of his hot girlfriend is totally okay and not a bit deranged at all.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Jan 21, 2019

nofather
Aug 15, 2014

Mors Rattus posted:

The Ivory Claws are big on bloodlines but like I mentioned in second edition they seem to be more angling their powers and heritage towards riches and status. 'To hunt the Ivory Claws is to hunt a wealthy foe that wields humanity as a weapon, drawing on human resources and organizations to fight the Forsaken by proxy.' As opposed to everyone in the Pure being backwoods yokels.

The Predator Kings even got a bit more focus, with not being just about eschewing humanity but embracing the 'ancient cycle of life and death' that was so prominent in Pangaea. So while you can have your gayboy berserkers and smegma crazies, you can also have the atavistic thing from the dark dark beforetimes that brings echoes of a forgotten world with him when he hunts.

Neat stuff!

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

the joke is that there is literally a group of chill Mennonite Ivory Claws canonically just kind of hanging out in Ohio

nofather
Aug 15, 2014
Entirely reasonable for some pack to think humility and hard work are the path to godliness, just like some PKs might go post Apocalyptic biker, especially with Harmony not being so crippling.

Tribes are pretty varied in mindsets. I think there's an Iron Masters lodge that's devoted to killing all of humanity.

nofather fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Jan 22, 2019

Fantastic Alice
Jan 23, 2012

nofather posted:

So while you can have your gayboy berserkers and smegma crazies,

I have many questions and I'm not sure I want answers.

nofather
Aug 15, 2014

xanthan posted:

I have many questions and I'm not sure I want answers.

Nothing too exciting, just a Mad Max reference. The names of the different factions in Humungus' raiding party.

Gayboy Berserkers.

Smegma crazies.

nofather fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Jan 22, 2019

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Gods, mythical creatures, hacker names, and even superheroes are all known sources of decent shadow names but until this very second I hadn't considered: almost every single Transformer.

Naming yourself Starscream has very powerful energy.

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

bewilderment posted:

Gods, mythical creatures, hacker names, and even superheroes are all known sources of decent shadow names but until this very second I hadn't considered: almost every single Transformer.

Don't really know why but now the phrase "but are the Pandorans adequately toyetic" won't leave my brain and I need to work it into a game.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

bewilderment posted:

Starscream betrays, but Laserbeak determines command.

Warthur
May 2, 2004

Rand Brittain posted:

The trouble with the Hollow Ones is that they come across as both unserious and insincere. I think to make the gutter magick concept work you have to be able to roll with the goofiness. (This applies to Mage in general, I guess.)
Fair, they are pretty much literally the "we need to include an actual goth faction to appeal to our target demographic and make them feel super-special" splat.

Digital Osmosis
Nov 10, 2002

Smile, Citizen! Happiness is Mandatory.

bewilderment posted:

"Don't pick Starscream as a shadow name if you intend to stay loyal to your Cabal's leadership."

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Digital Osmosis posted:

"Don't pick Starscream as a shadow name if you intend to stay loyal to your Cabal's leadership."

Surely it's a scapegoat name a Guardian would take - you take on the role of Starscream to ensure that your 'Megatron' remains in power, be it your cabal leader, your caucus leader, or your Hierarch.

bewilderment fucked around with this message at 09:07 on Jan 23, 2019

Digital Osmosis
Nov 10, 2002

No, that would just ensure that you'd find proof that if you were the Hierarch you could make the Hieromagus manifest

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Higgledy-Piggledy Whale Statements

Digital Osmosis posted:

No, that would just ensure that you'd find proof that if you were the Hierarch you could make the Hieromagus manifest

I mean, if your shadow name isn't both an elaborate symbolic operation to support your cabal AND a vector for rapidly developing Hubris, you might as well just use a name you think is cool and not take the merit.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Shadow Name: Plato is a great pick.

Because Plato is Plato's wrestling name. It means burly. Naming yourself Plato is roughly equivalent to naming yourself Macho Man, except nerdier.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Mors Rattus posted:

Shadow Name: Plato is a great pick.

Because Plato is Plato's wrestling name. It means burly. Naming yourself Plato is roughly equivalent to naming yourself Macho Man, except nerdier.
A cabal where everyone's Shadow Name is an 80s wrestler would be loving :krad:

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Yawgmoth posted:

Shadow Name: Hornswoggle

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

Can you smell what the Omphalos is casting?

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Yawgmoth posted:

My Shadow Name is the Junkyard Dog. It has always been thus.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Time to freak out some vampires by introducing yourself as Gangrel.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Yawgmoth posted:

I'm an adamantine arrow wrestler that specializes in lightning magic.

My shadow name is The Shockmaster.

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008

Yawgmoth posted:

Ah, I too am an eternal 14 year old, locked in a temporal prison that is an endless repetition of the year 2003.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

God, if only.

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

There are years in this world that I might, if offered a chance, want to re-live. 2003 is not one of them.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

e: it me, an idiot

Mors Rattus fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Jan 24, 2019

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

Good post, wrong thread?

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

....yes.

Digital Osmosis
Nov 10, 2002

Yawgmoth posted:

the moros goes for undertaker and everyone just shrugs it off because he's rather dense

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
I played an extreme heavyweight in the d20 WWE game (I think he hit drat near 600lb) that was an albino who wore a white leotard with an eye pattern on the front and called himself STAREMASTER. His signature move was to just, fall on people. I called it the STAREDOWN. it was effective if lacking in flair.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Daeren
Aug 18, 2009

YER MUSTACHE IS CROOKED

Digital Osmosis posted:

the moros goes for undertaker and everyone just shrugs it off because he's rather dense

A bit late for the era but I would never gently caress with a mage named Mankind. Kicking their rear end would only make them more powerful. They'd be the sort of wizard who picks a fistfight with an entire pack of werewolves, does a few cool moves, gets mauled, survives, calls that a win, and you really can't argue it isn't.