Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AGGGGH BEES
Apr 28, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Despite the endless whining from tankie retards (some in this very thread, even) about the Venezuelan opposition being backed by the CIA, no one has ever produced even one single shard of evidence that this is the case. The US has largely ignored Venezuela other than passing sanctions on specific members of the PSUV (and arresting some of them periodically in the US when they get caught drug trafficking or laundering money).

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

AFancyQuestionMark posted:

Probably. That still doesn't mean Maduro is anything more than a corrupt strongman or that there is an urgent need to defend the PSUV online.

I agree, I keep my mouth shut on Venezuelian domestic politics and rail on how us intervention is bad on general principle, which pretty much everyone on the planet can observe 👍👍👍

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

In the grim future, there is only commerce.

Squalid posted:

Was this still taken from a video streaming somewhere? I see Diosadado Cabello is calling for a vigil tonight outside Miraflores. I'd like to see more of the pro-government rally.

It was more the assumption that the state media was trying to spin anti-government rallies as pro-government rallies.

(or vise versa)

Fill Baptismal
Dec 15, 2008
You don’t have to defend the regime that’s starving thousands just because Trunmp said a mean thing about them! You’re allowed to think both are bad, I promise, it’s fine.

THS
Sep 15, 2017

AGGGGH BEES posted:

Despite the endless whining from tankie retards (some in this very thread, even) about the Venezuelan opposition being backed by the CIA, no one has ever produced even one single shard of evidence that this is the case. The US has largely ignored Venezuela other than passing sanctions on specific members of the PSUV (and arresting some of them periodically in the US when they get caught drug trafficking or laundering money).

how would I have evidence of clandestine operations and secret money changing hands? All we can do is infer that they were involved in 2002 and historically have been involved in every single other moment of state instability in the past in South America. I don’t need a smoking gun to tell you that US intelligence agencies are providing support against a South American leftwing regime that they hate.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

karthun posted:

Your data ends in 2013 for some strange reason.

I expect his death that year would be a factor.

DoctorStrangelove posted:

And then it massively surged immediately after he died with no radical change in policies.

The drop in oil prices was a major factor in that. Chavez should have diversified more, but Venezuela's economy overrelied on oil long before he came to power.

Freedonkeys
Jan 7, 2010

AFancyQuestionMark posted:

Probably. That still doesn't mean Maduro is anything more than a corrupt strongman or that there is an urgent need to defend the PSUV online.

Support of a country in opposition to US imperialism is absolutely necessary. The alternative is to sit silently as a series of sanctions are passed which weaken a country until the point in which a coup or military intervention can be staged which is what has happened to Venezuela over the past few years. This is a cycle that repeats itself and well meaning American liberals go along with it every time.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Freedonkeys posted:

Support of a country in opposition to US imperialism is absolutely necessary. The alternative is to sit silently as a series of sanctions are passed which weaken a country until the point in which a coup or military intervention can be staged which is what has happened to Venezuela over the past few years. This is a cycle that repeats itself and well meaning American liberals go along with it every time.

Wait, you think sanctions are what destroyed Venezuela's economy?

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

THS posted:

The US treats South America like its own personal playground and is run by unhinged Republicans so Venezuela is going to get CIA fuckery and, if it escalates into destabilizing violence, military intervention - whether anyone here approves of that or not. The US is a central topic of discussion here because it’s the world spanning imperial hegemon and absolutely will get involved if there’s even the slightest pretext to do so. It always does.

And it always makes things worse.

Ask them about libyan slave markets where people are drugged and vivisected for their kidneys.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Agean90 posted:

I agree, I keep my mouth shut on Venezuelian domestic politics and rail on how us intervention is bad on general principle, which pretty much everyone on the planet can observe 👍👍👍

:same:

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

When you fall, get right back up again.

Freedonkeys posted:

The sanctions on Venezuela have been essentially all targeted at the actual leadership and not the economy of Venezuela, again if the US had an interest in turning Venezuela into a Mad Max hellscape where people are shivving each other for a liter of guzzoline we could have sanctioned the PDVSA at any time.

beer_war
Mar 10, 2005

Chuck Boone posted:

Live stream of Maduro speaking right now: https://www.pscp.tv/w/1BRJjXWPgoWKw

Listened to him for a few minutes and he just called Lenín Moreno a "nazi-fascist".

He's generally talking about everything *but* the current situtation in Venezuela.

karthun
Nov 16, 2006

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Majorian posted:

Why would his death be factor on poverty rates?

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

karthun posted:

Why would his death be factor on poverty rates?

It isn't, but it is the reason why the piece entitled, "Venezuelan Economic and Social Performance Under Hugo Chávez, in Graphs," ends with 2013.

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

Der Waffle Mous posted:

It was more the assumption that the state media was trying to spin anti-government rallies as pro-government rallies.

(or vise versa)

I assumed it was supposed to be a pro-Maduro protest somewhere else in the city? It weird picture though, I admit I'm kind of suspicious it is and old photo from years ago.

Chuck Boone posted:

Live stream of Maduro speaking right now: https://www.pscp.tv/w/1BRJjXWPgoWKw

I guess the speaking in such a small space is a security thing and not that surprising. That crowd doesn't look that confident though, their faces all look creased with concern. I assume there are no big pro-Maduro rallies ongoing anywhere?

Pharohman777
Jan 14, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Freedonkeys posted:

Aren't the sanctions against venezuela meant to prevent PSUV members from getting to their ill-gotten wealth and to stop companies from purchasing Venezuelan debt? Venezuela is already putting its infrastructure up as collateral and the russians and chinese already own stuff in Venezuela thanks to debt defaults. Russia and china are acting as loan sharks.

https://www.state.gov/e/eb/tfs/spi/venezuela/
This is all the sanctions against Venezuela.

karthun
Nov 16, 2006

Majorian posted:

It isn't, but it is the reason why the piece entitled, "Venezuelan Economic and Social Performance Under Hugo Chávez, in Graphs," ends with 2013.

And why did you pick this specific article with data that ended in 2013? Is it because you don't think that Maduro is part of Chavez's legacy?

karthun fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Jan 23, 2019

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

IT WOULD NOT BE DIFFICULT MEIN FUHRER!

Majorian posted:

The drop in oil prices was a major factor in that. Chavez should have diversified more, but Venezuela's economy overrelied on oil long before he came to power.

Oil production was declining throughout Chavez's career. Also other oil dependent economies were able to survive the same shock to the oil markets. Oil prices have recovered from the 2014 shocks but the Venezuelan economy has only worsened.

fnox
May 19, 2013

See the problem Venezuelan posters in this thread have with most international leftists is that they have done absolutely loving nothing but complain about any possible attempt to alleviate our situation despite repeated cries for help. We’re having to rely on Trump of all loving people to get anything done, because nobody on the left wants to help. I don’t know what else are you expecting us civilians to do against a military dictatorship.

And for the record, to clarify my political posture in terms of Latin American affairs: I hate Bolsonaro, I hate Trump, I don’t like any Latin American president, matter of fact I don’t like strong presidencies, I like parliamentary democracies such as the one in Sweden. Venezuela has had 40 years of corrupt fuckers running it, none of them are reedemable, it’s just that Maduro has had the audacity of stealing the most out of all of them while somehow convincing a whole load of people he cares for the poor.

I am not convinced that Juan Guaido is going to solve everything, and ultimately I don’t give a gently caress if the US is planting him or not; all I want is for this suffering to end, so that someday I may return to my country, and all I have for certain is that so long as Maduro remains in power, that will never happen.

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

fnox posted:

And for the record, to clarify my political posture in terms of Latin American affairs: I hate Bolsonaro, I hate Trump, I don’t like any Latin American president, matter of fact I don’t like strong presidencies, I like parliamentary democracies such as the one in Sweden. Venezuela has had 40 years of corrupt fuckers running it, none of them are reedemable, it’s just that Maduro has had the audacity of stealing the most out of all of them while somehow convincing a whole load of people he cares for the poor.

fnox posted:

Maduro is worse than Pinochet by any metric. loving, please, find me one thing that Maduro has done right, one.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

fnox posted:

See the problem Venezuelan posters in this thread have with most international leftists is that they have done absolutely loving nothing but complain about any possible attempt to alleviate our situation despite repeated cries for help.

How, exactly, are we supposed to help? It seems to me that the best thing we can do is oppose the U.S. making the situation worse, because I guarantee you, our government will not make it better.

Mukip
Jan 27, 2011

by Reene

THS posted:

In the current environment of right-wing governments surrounding Venezuela and the Trump administration backing this, you’re an absolute fool if you believe this won’t be a regression to the reactionary oligarchs who are far, far worse than Maduro.

People are starving in Venezuela. If a rightwing government puts food on the table, through whatever means, then it will be better than Maduro. You are seriously underestimating what a high benchmark you are setting with the phrase, "worse than Maduro". People would rather not they and their children starve, above all other considerations.

Giggle Goose
Oct 18, 2009
Christ some of you people are wild. It is perfectly possible to both hate Trump and hope that the people of Venezuela stop loving starving to death and dying from the lack of basic medical supplies. You ask me, anybody who can do at least those two things right there is already a far better leader than Maduro or his thieving compatriots.

fnox
May 19, 2013

Majorian posted:

How, exactly, are we supposed to help? It seems to me that the best thing we can do is oppose the U.S. making the situation worse, because I guarantee you, our government will not make it better.

By zipping it and letting us take our chances with whoever the gently caress else isn’t Maduro. You think we’re too stupid to decide for ourselves.

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Mukip posted:

People are starving in Venezuela. If a rightwing government puts food on the table, through whatever means, then it will be better than Maduro. You are seriously underestimating what a high benchmark you are setting with the phrase, "worse than Maduro". People would rather not they and their children starve, above all other considerations.

This was the same rationale used by the west against people like ceaucescu, all it did was wipe away one old and doddering idiot and replace him with gangsters and sharks. The people in romania kept on starving and it became one of the poorest countries in the world. Repeat with Libya, repeat with Iraq, and so on.

CAPS LOCK BROKEN fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Jan 23, 2019

THS
Sep 15, 2017

I bet a lot of Iraqi expats were saying anything is better than Saddam.

Pharohman777
Jan 14, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
One reason that chavez is blamed for the current crisis is what he has done to Venezuela's oil industry that has set it up for ruin.

Venezuelan oil is VERY heavy and expensive to make and needs a ton of reinvested profits to sustain production via drilling new holes and such, and then there is is needed expertise to refine the oil.

After the 2003 strike where workers with heavy oil expertise were fired, forcing Venezuela to use US refineries that could process the oil into a useable form.

The other thing is from 2007 onward, chavez took a ton of the oil profits that were meant be used to drill new holes for more oil and used it for his social programs. Analysts back in 2007 were saying this has a horrid idea.

http://www.energytrendsinsider.com/2007/03/22/what-planet-are-they-from/

Wells have been drying up for a while now, and the steep decline in production is hurting Venezuela even more. Normally this would be constantly counteracted by drilling for new wells, but...

Pharohman777 fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Jan 23, 2019

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

fnox posted:

By zipping it and letting us take our chances with whoever the gently caress else isn’t Maduro. You think we’re too stupid to decide for ourselves.

No one here is keeping you from going out and protesting. What we're saying is that the U.S. shouldn't intervene, and that we shouldn't assume that Maduro will be replaced by someone better.

karthun posted:

And why did you pick this specific article with data that ended in 2013? Is it because you don't think that Maduro is part of Chavez's legacy?

I picked it because it was the first thing that popped up when I Googled "hugo chavez poverty." Whether or not I think Maduro is part of Chavez's legacy, it's pretty clear that most Venezuelans remember Chavez relatively fondly. As of 2017, 79% of Venezuelans viewed him as the best president in their country's history, according to an independent think tank. To me, that suggests that most Venezuelans don't view Maduro as an integral part of Chavez's legacy.

Furia
Jul 26, 2015

Grimey Drawer
It’s funny how it’s always the gringos that come here shrieking to us about intervention and Chile like that’s the only other alternative

No wait I don’t think funny was the word I was looking for. Idiotic? Jingoistic? NeoImperialist? All of before I think

karthun
Nov 16, 2006

CAPS LOCK BROKEN posted:

This was the same rationale used by the west against people like ceaucescu, all it did was wipe away one old and doddering idiot and replace him with gangsters and sharks. The people on romania kept on starving and it became one of the poorest countries in the world. Repeat with Libya, repeat with Iraq, and so on.

Romania has a HDI of 0.811 and the National Anticorruption Directorate is held as a model of anti-corruption agencies in the EU.

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

Furia posted:

It’s funny how it’s always the gringos that come here shrieking to us about intervention and Chile like that’s the only other alternative

yes, look on the bright side, there's also Iran, where US meddling ushered in a theocracy
can't wait for "the christian republic of venezuela"

Norton the First
Dec 4, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Whole lotta narcissistic US posters in this thread.

Giggle Goose
Oct 18, 2009

Furia posted:

No wait I don’t think funny was the word I was looking for. Idiotic? Jingoistic? NeoImperialist? All of before I think

Yeah sorry y'all you know the rules. Ain't nobody really human except for a small subset of the white American male population.

karthun
Nov 16, 2006

Majorian posted:

No one here is keeping you from going out and protesting. What we're saying is that the U.S. shouldn't intervene, and that we shouldn't assume that Maduro will be replaced by someone better.

I picked it because it was the first thing that popped up when I Googled "hugo chavez poverty." Whether or not I think Maduro is part of Chavez's legacy, it's pretty clear that most Venezuelans remember Chavez relatively fondly. As of 2017, 79% of Venezuelans viewed him as the best president in their country's history, according to an independent think tank. To me, that suggests that most Venezuelans don't view Maduro as an integral part of Chavez's legacy.

I'm not asking what you think the Venezuelans think, I'm asking what YOU think about Chavez's legacy and do you think that Maduro is part of it? You can say no.

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

Norton the First posted:

Whole lotta narcissistic US posters in this thread.

They suffer from whitesaviorisis, poor things.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

karthun posted:

I'm not asking what you think the Venezuelans think, I'm asking what YOU think about Chavez's legacy and do you think that Maduro is part of it? You can say no.

Maduro's part of his legacy to some degree, but it's misleading to just outright say, "Maduro is part of Chavez's legacy." You have to contextualize it more than that. Maduro has hardly just been a posthumous cipher for Chavez's zombie-brain.

fnox
May 19, 2013

Majorian posted:

That second part of your post just shows that you have zero, and I mean zero understanding of the situation, as Maduro is absolutely part of Chavez legacy to the point of running originally as “Chavez’ son” but anyway.

The problem here is that you don’t possibly understand how bad things are. Whatever you think may happen with a right wing government is already occurring, seriously, just take one loving look at the country and you can see that really the worst we can get is just more of the same.

And again, unless you have something to propose as a of solution to the crisis, just step aside, you’re in the way of the only people doing anything.

Furia
Jul 26, 2015

Grimey Drawer

It is impossible to point out Maduro is a rich wing dictator and reject US intervention. This is a science fact that this two positions are intrinsically linked

e: tried to quote self, hosed up original post. Full version next page

Furia fucked around with this message at 14:48 on Jan 24, 2019

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

Really was not expecting to hear Ceaucescu apologia today.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

karthun posted:

Romania has a HDI of 0.811 and the National Anticorruption Directorate is held as a model of anti-corruption agencies in the EU.

quote:

Romania ranks 102 out of 137 countries in the quality of transport infrastructure. Hamstrung by poor planning and weak public administration, Romania is the only EU country that was not able to use the flood of structural funds it has received since accession. Romania received 15.4 billion euros during the period 2007-2013, and another 17.6 billion euros during 2014-2020, for investment in infrastructure. For a country with a GDP that averaged 140 euros billion between 2007 and 2017, 33 billion euros is certainly not insignificant. It should have been better utilized.

Over a quarter of Romania’s population lives on less than US$5.50 a day, the highest poverty rate in the EU. The poor, most of whom live in rural areas, remain disconnected from the drivers of economic growth: half of the poorest 40 percent of Romanians do not work, while another 28 percent live off subsistence agriculture.

Romania’s education system is failing its children: 40 percent of Romanian students are functionally illiterate—meaning that while they can technically read and write, they cannot apply those skills meaningfully in their lives. One in five kids drops out of school—among the highest dropout rates in the European Union.

This isn't a thread about romania, but its clear that Americans are addicted to WWII-style subversion of governments they find undesirable, with disastrous results. As I have said probably dozens of times in this thread, the habit is to apologize for all the dirty poo poo done to latin america while pretending like the current destabilization isn't an intervention in the same mold.