Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

If I'm recalling the livestream Alexis did about it correctly, ultimately the Long is going to gently caress with you more over time, preventing you from playing it safe and slowly accumulating assets before pushing forward like you can in the base game. It's there to put some level of difficulty back in the game once you think you have it figured out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ragnar34
Oct 10, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Started playing Sunless Sea and the similarities are there. Yo, Sunless Sea needs more money in it. Maybe it's just the early game (I wouldn't know) but every mission needs about double payout for me to get anywhere. I don't know if I'm supposed to just draw a triangle between London and the two nearest cities for hours and hours or what, but if that's the deal, then this is what dev improvement looks like because Cultist Simulator managed to move the unfun grind to the midgame AND they appear to be fixing that. I checked out some mods to see if anyone eased up the money grind somehow, but the only easy modes out there are more tranformative than I'd like. I do appreciate that mod that gives you "my dude" as an option for mode of address.

But the writing is def there. It's got that signature neo-Romanticism that keeps me coming back to Cult Sim, but grimy instead of dreamy. You'd think the overhead camera would be the worst option, but you can really feel the sea under the deck.

Sinteres posted:

If I'm recalling the livestream Alexis did about it correctly, ultimately the Long is going to gently caress with you more over time, preventing you from playing it safe and slowly accumulating assets before pushing forward like you can in the base game. It's there to put some level of difficulty back in the game once you think you have it figured out.
This sounds like more busywork to me, which isn't what the game needs imo, but, I'm sure somebody wants it.

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

Ragnar34 posted:

Started playing Sunless Sea and the similarities are there. Yo, Sunless Sea needs more money in it. Maybe it's just the early game (I wouldn't know) but every mission needs about double payout for me to get anywhere. I don't know if I'm supposed to just draw a triangle between London and the two nearest cities for hours and hours or what, but if that's the deal, then this is what dev improvement looks like because Cultist Simulator managed to move the unfun grind to the midgame AND they appear to be fixing that. I checked out some mods to see if anyone eased up the money grind somehow, but the only easy modes out there are more tranformative than I'd like. I do appreciate that mod that gives you "my dude" as an option for mode of address.

But the writing is def there. It's got that signature neo-Romanticism that keeps me coming back to Cult Sim, but grimy instead of dreamy. You'd think the overhead camera would be the worst option, but you can really feel the sea under the deck.

This sounds like more busywork to me, which isn't what the game needs imo, but, I'm sure somebody wants it.

Focus on exploration and on doing as as many port reports as possible. The more of the map you can uncover each trip, the better. Ideally you'll want to try and get several missions done each trek. Once you've discovered some new locations you'll find decent trade opportunities where you can cheaply buy things that you can sell for a much better price elsewhere. London's most useful exports are 1: mushroom wine and 2: prisoney's honey. If you bring some mushroom wine you may very well find places that'll pay decently for them.

That said, you likely shouldn't set trade as your main focus. Trading should generally be treated as a side business, something you do because you had free cargo space and were heading in that direction anyway.

Trade hint 1:
Bring mushroom wine to the far south and bring coffee back.

Trade hint 2:
Polythreme is eager for Stygian Ivory, the Chelonians sell it for cheap

Trade hint 3:
The surface offers practically free supplies, plenty of sunlight, and a deep interest in Darkdrop Coffee

e: Sailing into the unknown is the surest way to treasure.

vetinari100
Nov 8, 2009

> Make her pay.

ThaumPenguin posted:

Focus on exploration and on doing as as many port reports as possible. The more of the map you can uncover each trip, the better. Ideally you'll want to try and get several missions done each trek. Once you've discovered some new locations you'll find decent trade opportunities where you can cheaply buy things that you can sell for a much better price elsewhere. London's most useful exports are 1: mushroom wine and 2: prisoney's honey. If you bring some mushroom wine you may very well find places that'll pay decently for them.

That said, you likely shouldn't set trade as your main focus. Trading should generally be treated as a side business, something you do because you had free cargo space and were heading in that direction anyway.

Trade hint 1:
Bring mushroom wine to the far south and bring coffee back.

Trade hint 2:
Polythreme is eager for Stygian Ivory, the Chelonians sell it for cheap

Trade hint 3:
The surface offers practically free supplies, plenty of sunlight, and a deep interest in Darkdrop Coffee

e: Sailing into the unknown is the surest way to treasure.

Yeah, try to visit as many ports as possible on a single trip. Try to get the feel for how much fuel and supplies you'll need, and buy it all in London (exception - fuel at Iron Republic and Mt. Palmerston, and supplies on the southern coast). Also turn off your lamp - it will significantly cut your fuel consumption. Learn which SAY options give you free food. Avoid fighting anything bigger than a Jillyfleur until you get a bigger ship. When you fulfill a commission from the Admiralty, do not turn the Strategic Information in immediately to the Admiral - wait until you get another, combine them into Vital Intelligence and turn that in instead. Fulfill the Merchant Venturer's requests. Look for opportunity at Salt Lions. Buy a Mirrorcatch Box or two if you see it. Try to work on Tireless Mechanic's quest as soon as possible.

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

Also there's a fallen spire where piratical monks will pay very well for wine

TGG
Aug 8, 2003

"I Dare."
Also try out Sunless Skies, it'll be out of Early Access soon and It's just Sunless Sea in space but a little more streamlined. Instead of just one big sea you have several different areas you can transit through, each with a different feel/stories/horrors/wonders. It's also a bit easier overall, better trading, solid storytelling and in my opinion better combat.

vetinari100
Nov 8, 2009

> Make her pay.

ThaumPenguin posted:

Also there's a fallen spire where piratical monks will pay very well for wine

Eh, this and other trading options are worth it only if you do it in bulk, and for that you need a bigger ship - preferably the Merchant Cruiser. Based on Ragnar34's comment I guess he's in the very early game.

Here's something I wrote a couple years back:

My tips for quick cash in a new playthrough:

General tips:

• TURN THE LIGHTS OFF! Sailing with the lights on massively increases your fuel consumption and makes it easier for the monsters to spot you. Both terror and nightmares are easy to deal with. Only turn your lights on when you are a) attacking, b) around 80 terror, c) OCD like me and want to „light up“ the islands.
• Fight Megalopses and Bats for food, Pirate Steam Pinnaces for cargo, run away from anything else. If you can stay out of its firing arc, you could theoretically take down a Pirate Frigate. Everything you kill lowers your terror a bit (this is not explained anywhere).
• With the exception of the Magician and the Campaigner, do not recruit officers in London. You can get them cheaper or for free at other islands.

Specific walktrough for the first run:

In London:

• Sell the tutorial book, accept the commission from the admiralty (it will be either Gaider’s Mourn or I&M), agree to take the tomb-colonist to Venderbight, read the news. Talk to your starting officer to find out where they want to go. Do not buy anything.
When sailing:
• Sail north to Hunter’s Keep, wait for SAY before docking (this is usually a good idea), have lunch with Cynthia to get Salt’s attention. Do not use the news.
• Head north to Venderbight. Depending on your past, you either get echoes straight away, or will have to do a quest. It's more difficult for the philosopher and the priest. Visit the curator and get the quest for the colors.
• Sail east from Venderbight. The map is randomized, but islands are always grouped in certain regions. Explore a 2x3 tile region (2 east and 3 south from Venderbight). See this map if it’s not clear. (scroll down, it's the region due east from London) You should have enough fuel and supplies to do this if you sail with your lights off. This way, you discover Gaider’s Mourn, Demeaux Island, Salt Lions, Pigmote Isle, Shepherd Isles, Abbey Rock and Station III. Always try to have SAY before docking. Get port reports everywhere. Fulfill your commission.
• At Salt Lions do the Salt’s Rites. You need SAY and Salt’s attention. At Shepherd Isles recruit the Navigator. At Abbey Rock use up your Beginner’s Luck. You get either a Strategic Information or a Revelatory Chart and some stuff. Hit up Cumean Canal (1 tile south from London) and Mutton Island. Stop at a Lightship just outside London to give them news.

In London:

• Ignore the Bruiser for now. You should get enough fuel from your reports.
• Go to the University, sell the Extraordinary Implication and any Outlandish Artefacts you may have acquired.
• Give your port reports to the Admiralty. Try to pass Shepherds Isles as fact (you get fuel either way, you just lose out on 10 echoes if you fail). Get another commission. Do NOT give them Strategic Information.
• If you have two Strat. Information, use them in your hold (right click). Combine them using whatever you have, preferably Memories (Zee-ztories and Moves are harder to come by). You should have enough secrets to boost your Mirrors to 40 with the Navigator. Give the Vital Intelligence to the Admiral. Give him also any Moves and Charts you might Have. If you have only one SI, hold on to it, until you get two.
• Carouse in the docks.
• You should have enough fuel that you don’t need to buy more. Buy supplies (5 should be enough, buy slightly more if you’re cautious).
For your second run, have 20 free cargo space. Go to Salt Lions via Hunter’s Keep (have lunch with Cynthia again). Do the Salt’s Rites again and bring Sphinxstone to London. Try to hit up as many ports as possible on your way there and back. You can skip Station III unless you have a longbox.

You should now have enough to buy a house and a will (do more Sphinxstone Runs if not). If you want, you can now sell everything and retire. Choose the legacy that will give 50% of your money to your next character. Or continue with your current captain.

TGG posted:

Also try out Sunless Skies, it'll be out of Early Access soon and It's just Sunless Sea in space but a little more streamlined. Instead of just one big sea you have several different areas you can transit through, each with a different feel/stories/horrors/wonders. It's also a bit easier overall, better trading, solid storytelling and in my opinion better combat.

I really loved what I played of Skies, but I can't help but like the setting of Sea more. I guess ships on a claustrophobic underground ocean appeal to me more than trains in space. I also liked the feeling of having a home and history in Fallen London, while in the Skies I felt more like a newcomer somewhere on a frontier. Granted, I haven't played past the Reach, maybe the other areas have a different feel to them. I can't wait for the 31st!

vetinari100 fucked around with this message at 15:57 on Jan 9, 2019

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

That's a great writeup but I'd just want to make clear that when it came to trading wine with the pirate monks, that was meant as one of those things you should do whilst on the way to somewhere else

Like if I know I'll be heading in that direction anyway, I just bring five casks of wine with me. I don't think I've ever set sail exclusively to sell wine in bulk

Based on the map layout it might also be somewhere inconvenient, in which case I rarely visit

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
I highly highly recommend editing your save and bumpingthe speed of your ship. Even the devs admit they turned it down slow for tension but it just ended up being tedium. I also tuned the fuel a bit because i care more about the story than the crazy quest grind loop. And the "something happened" timer down to two mins. Also remember i found a port of like, tiny mice or something that offered free food after i helped with the war? That was great.

Doodmons
Jan 17, 2009
Advice for playing as a Dancer:

When you get the forgotten poem, make sure you spend the time to read it ASAP - you need to do that to get access to the Dream verb and you need to be able to Dream to cure an Affliction. It's easy to forget and Affliction can crop up surprisingly quickly, so make sure you're prepared.

The very early game is super hard. Contract At The Gaiety Club is probably the shittiest job in the game. What you should do is dance away, making sure to put extra effort in whenever you can afford it, until you have met Sulochana, the Marquess and Lord Munday - they're the three contacts you can get out of it - and then just let yourself get fired. Hop between the Marquess and Lord Munday, using the Talk verb as needed to hold the other one so they don't count down. They will eventually either tire of you or ask to marry you - if you agree to marry them, that's a game over with a minor victory condition, so if you want a proper victory you'll have to let them go. They will usually ask you to put either a Health, Passion, Reason or Funds as a bonus into the work - sometimes, even if you do this they still gain a Boredom because aristocrats are loving assholes, so don't worry about it. It may feel like you're being exploited, but remember that like any good stripper you're the one exploiting them. Drain the two aristocrats for all they're worth and then discard them.

Meanwhile: it's time to begin training your stats. Health is super super tight early game but eases off a little bit once you're not working at the Gaiety. My advice is to suck it up and train some Vitality to get an additional Health card as soon as humanly possible. You will probably have to hold Gaiety in the Work verb and any benefactors in the Talk verb to avoid timing them out while you do this, but boy do you need every Health card you can get in the early game as a Dancer. Prioritise getting Health, then Passion. You can leave reason for later. I always try to get Steely Physique, Fevered Imagination and Profound Scholarship before moving on with my life because I'm a filthy poopsocker, but this is optional.

Once you've binned out of the Gaiety, it's time to start getting a real job as a Dancer that isn't just stripping for aristocrats. Speak to Sulochana about the Temptation: Change you should have gotten from reading the poem, and she'll invite you to speak to her at her place - the Ecdysis Club. Explore the Ecdysis Club with Sulochana and get a job there. It pays twice as much as the Gaiety and only uses up a single Health or Passion card - but you can also pay with Influences like spare Vitality - or even negative ones like Dread, Restlessness or Fascination. Any influence you use to dance at the Ecdysis is consumed, so this is an excellent way to get rid of Restlessness, Dread and Fascination. Sadly, the Ecdysis does close for 30s or so after each time you work, so once you're free of the aristocrats it's time to get started on your Painting or manual labour to get the Glimmering and Vitality you need to pump your stats. Important: Dancing with Health or Passion in the Ecdysis Club has a medium chance of irreversibly turning those cards into Scars. These are worth more points for the Change victories but are otherwise useless - this is permanent stat loss. Don't sweat it if you gain one, but make sure to dance at the Ecdysis with your Scar instead of your Health/Passion from now on, so as not to gain more. You don't need to use more than one card.

Once you're out of the Dancer salt mines, continue with the late early game as you would with any other Legacy. Begin cleaning out Morland's and Oriflamme's, meeting every acquaintance, learning the Lores, getting the stats and advancing through the House.

The Change Victory:

The Change Victory is a little weird. That one card is actually two actually three victory conditions in one. It has a pair of aspects attached to it, called the New Form and the Old Form. Which victory condition you win is determined by how much of each aspect you have by the time you win - more Old Form is the Moth victory condition, where you transform into a Carapace Cross, and more New Form is the Heart condition where you turn into an immortal giant heart. If you have exactly the same in both when you win, you win the secret victory condition where you become favoured by the Meniscate and enter the House of the Moon - which has some very interesting deep lore implications.

The Change victories are very different to the Forge/Lantern/Grail ones where you have to get to the Sixth Mark and then do a ritual with 36 power. Instead, the Change victories revolve around a cycle of doing occult dances at the Ecdysis Club using your Temptation: Change card and increasingly large amounts of Moth or Heart aspect to unlock the ability to astral project as an animal, then going on expeditions with that animal tagging along to advance on the path. Whether you do the Temptation: Change dance at the Ecdysis using lots of Moth or lots of Heart is what determines whether you gain New Form or Old Form at each step. This is where the Health and Passion Scars come in. Health is worth Heart, Passion is worth Moth but each type of Scar is worth more, which is useful for getting to the big numbers needed at the later stages. Your only other source is influences, which largely revolves around hitting up the Mansus or doing Augury with Lantern followers. There are six expeditions which you must do to advance your victory card - they are always the repeatable expedition which comes up last in the deck. A way of skipping this (particularly for the last expedition to Port Noon, which would otherwise require milling through the Peacock Door to get a million Vagabond's Maps and combining them for Port Noon Anecdotes) is to chat to Sulochana with the appropriate Secret Histories lore card (eg, chat to her with a Furtive Truth card and she'll give you Kerisham every time - which is the card needed for the first victory step).

Successfully go on these expeditions without forgetting to bring your animal card along like I always do and then dance your Temptation at the Ecdysis with increasingly large amounts of aspect to win.

vetinari100
Nov 8, 2009

> Make her pay.

Bhodi posted:

I highly highly recommend editing your save and bumpingthe speed of your ship. Even the devs admit they turned it down slow for tension but it just ended up being tedium. I also tuned the fuel a bit because i care more about the story than the crazy quest grind loop. And the "something happened" timer down to two mins. Also remember i found a port of like, tiny mice or something that offered free food after i helped with the war? That was great.

I'd say that the reward for the Tireless Mechanic's quest takes care of the first two issues. I agree that you should decrease the SAY timer, especially if you increase the ship speed. Default is 60 seconds, I'd say half of that is appropriate.

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

vetinari100 posted:

I'd say that the reward for the Tireless Mechanic's quest takes care of the first two issues. I agree that you should decrease the SAY timer, especially if you increase the ship speed. Default is 60 seconds, I'd say half of that is appropriate.

I wish SAY dynamically changed based on your engine/overall ship speed

and that the countdown didn't reset whenever you dock

I've spent far too much time puttering around waiting for it to count down

Avasculous
Aug 30, 2008

NewMars posted:

I have a simple way to upgrade the UI for this game: get rid of all of it and do something completely different.

I just started playing this, and I'm sure this has been discussed to death, but is there any rationale for lacking some really obvious interface improvements?

Like why not put all of the staple cards at least in set locations, instead of vomiting them into this messy jumble that I have to constantly try and fail to organize?

Is it just to lean really hard on the arcane bureaucracy theme?

Ragnar34
Oct 10, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Avasculous posted:

I just started playing this, and I'm sure this has been discussed to death, but is there any rationale for lacking some really obvious interface improvements?

Like why not put all of the staple cards at least in set locations, instead of vomiting them into this messy jumble that I have to constantly try and fail to organize?

Is it just to lean really hard on the arcane bureaucracy theme?

Empty loving quote. And I'm sorry, but mystique should never be more than one card. Just find a way to streamline the separate timers.

Bhodi posted:

Also remember i found a port of like, tiny mice or something that offered free food after i helped with the war? That was great.

"I'm not certain I heard you correctly."

I appreciate all this advice. I'm currently saving up for a new boat, and at this point I think the hardest part is going to be deciding which one. I think it's either merchant vessel or the corvette, and I just have to work out whether I'd like more cargo space or more firepower. I think I'm leaning toward firepower, since apparently trade isn't that great. And I'd like to be able to fight all these lifebergs and hosed up sharks. And then a new gun! I like the one with 2 second stagger, the one that says "It makes the most tremendous bang. Not what you'd call an elegant weapon, but it does make the most tremendous bang."

You know what, yeah, probably the corvette. It costs less anyway, and while on paper the merchant vessel will let me spend much longer at sea, I have to keep coming back to London anyway to lower my terror. Or maybe I'll get those new quarters, as was suggested. It looks like I'd never have to buy it again once I get it.

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

The corvette will keep you alive long enough to get the merchant freighter later on

I cannot stress the benefits enough of having twice the firepower and quadruple the health

Ragnar34
Oct 10, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Still talking Sunless Sea: The trip to and from the east is fuckin rough if you do it too early. We ate like three people on the way home, and by all rights I should have lost the game to mutiny. But the corvette did just fine.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Huh, they changed how the Inspector start works, as long as you're an inspector, the cultist you're hunting counts as a Rival. and if you put 'em in jail another one will emerge, that never used to happen. I like it.

You can set traps in exploration zones for rivals too? Huh!

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

A time traveling adventure everyone can enjoy

Is there any way to see what one might need during an expedition? I keep getting caught in infinite loops where I don't have what I need to progress, so my entire group fruitlessly smashes themselves against it until they're all dead. It's almost always what ends a run for me. IIRC, you can see a general idea of what qualities you need, but it's sometimes not good enough.

Ayn Randi
Mar 12, 2009

Grimey Drawer
without using spoilers you won't know what obstacles are on a given expedition before you start it, but once you launch it each obstacle (listed along with your total aspects at the bottom of the explore window) should tell you which aspects combat it. it used to be 1 aspect point = 10% chance of passing with guaranteed success at 10 but i believe there is still now a chance of failure no matter what. failing a curse obstacle won't stall progress but others will requiring more funds or possibly killing a follower depending on the type of obstacle

Ayn Randi fucked around with this message at 09:04 on Jan 13, 2019

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Ayn Randi posted:

without using spoilers you won't know what obstacles are on a given expedition before you start it, but once you launch it each obstacle (listed along with your total aspects at the bottom of the explore window) should tell you which aspects combat it. it used to be 1 aspect point = 10% chance of passing with guaranteed success at 10 but i believe there is still now a chance of failure no matter what. failing a curse obstacle won't stall progress but others will requiring more funds or possibly killing a follower depending on the type of obstacle

Note also that followers USUALLY do not die immediately anymore though, which takes some of the sting out of that failure. Instead they get wounded, and if you heal them they come back stronger.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Ayn Randi posted:

That's why you always send a pawn in first, as a sacrificescout.

Avasculous
Aug 30, 2008
I finished 2 of the base game ascensions (Enlightenment, Sensation).

I don't know about Power, but It's kind of surprising and disappointing that these 2 are completely identical. Having no abilities attached to them makes them nothing more than a list of objectives, which would be fine, except that they are the exact same objectives in the same order.

This goes for the Lore you dedicate to as well. Besides color, I think literally the only difference between them is which cultist you can promote to the highest level.

I still enjoyed it, but I'm surprised he's expanding the game in ambitious new directions without fleshing out these things first. It seems obvious for example that Enlightenment should give you bonuses to Research (which is grindy as hell now anyways) and have collecting Lore as an objective. And for the Cult lores, even small bonuses to different things would go a long way to adding replayability.

Ayn Randi posted:

Success chance caps at 90%.

The reason to be cautious about sending probing expeditions is curses. If you fail their check and can't quickly come up with the correct Influence, curses permanently reduce one of your stats.

Technowolf posted:

That's why you always send a pawn in first, as a sacrificescout.

Pawns are valuable members of the organization that play a critical role in its operations by feeding the Spider Door.

You should send in more expendable cannon fodder, like the ancient demigods that will only be on the table for 3 minutes unless you give them endless busywork.

Ragnar34
Oct 10, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
I like to send hirelings.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Power has you consume lots of money instead of human life because you're paying for materials to burn yourself. Literally burn yourself, until only the strongest parts of you remain.

The Change victory is actually several in one and way WAY different, you don't eat any people (or money) at all, but it does require a lot of knowledge about expeditions.

The Bramble
Mar 16, 2004

A major update to CS is releasing today. Headline feature is a "new game +" mode after you acheive a major victory that, among other things, includes rival, already-ascended Longs that do their best to stop your progress. Lots of new art and words.

http://weatherfactory.biz/january-1-ancient-mariner/

Can't wait to dive back in!

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

The Bramble posted:

A major update to CS is releasing today. Headline feature is a "new game +" mode after you acheive a major victory that, among other things, includes rival, already-ascended Longs that do their best to stop your progress. Lots of new art and words.

http://weatherfactory.biz/january-1-ancient-mariner/

Can't wait to dive back in!

This is a little muddled. The major victories are the new game+ mode, following on from the standard Lantern/Grail/Forge victories.

And guess who's going to have to play through one of those to get to the new content. :v:

Dalaram
Jun 6, 2002

Marshall/Kirtaner 8/24 nevar forget! (omg pedo)
Is there a lore explanation for why the only available victories are through lantern, forge, and grail? Or is it just that they haven’t quite figured out the mechanics of building ascensions for the other paths in game?

pedro0930
Oct 15, 2012

Dalaram posted:

Is there a lore explanation for why the only available victories are through lantern, forge, and grail? Or is it just that they haven’t quite figured out the mechanics of building ascensions for the other paths in game?

They are adding more victories. For example in the Dancer DLC they added Heart and Moth victories.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Dalaram posted:

Mostly because they're based on the three most popular reasons you'd found a cult: power, pleasure, or ultimate knowledge. "Change" is a lot more nebulous a concept.

I'm not sure what an Edge victory would be but it would probably involve turning yourself into a super soldier since its chief deity is just literally a Colonel.

ZeusJupitar
Jul 7, 2009

Speedball posted:

Mostly because they're based on the three most popular reasons you'd found a cult: power, pleasure, or ultimate knowledge. "Change" is a lot more nebulous a concept.

I'm not sure what an Edge victory would be but it would probably involve turning yourself into a super soldier since its chief deity is just literally a Colonel.

Not sure about the final result, but the Colonel's cultists are charged with assassinating those Long who try to make it on their own without an hour as a patron. That's why they hide away in Port Noon.

Gato
Feb 1, 2012

I had a file where I was pretty close to a Lantern victory so I was able to press on to the NG+ content last night.

New content trip report:
- You start off with a few perks which made getting off the ground a lot easier. In the first few actions the game gave me my Cult (same as the previous run), a tier 3 cultist, a level 12 (!) Lantern lore, a decent supply of Funds and access to the first 3 doors of the Mansus. Time doesn't start passing until you've unlocked all the action tiles, which is nice.

- The Long stalker does a good job keeping you under extra pressure without overwhelming you. If you're curious, it works by constantly generating 'plot tokens' every minute or so, then attacking you when it gets 3. You can send followers to spy on it which tells you what kind of attack it'll use, and you can then send other followers to try and delay it. However you can only remove one of its tokens per attack i.e. you can only ever slow it down. Once it does attack you can send another follower to stop it, but if you do stop it the Long gets a boost to one of its 3 stats. As far as I can tell there's no risk to your followers, but you do lose access to them for a while. It looks like the name of the game will be working out which attacks you can safely endure in order to stop them getting too strong. Most of the early game attacks haven't been too unpleasant but there's a very nasty one where they send HMRC an auditor after you which drains Funds continuously for a while, which nearly lost me the game early on.

- The victory conditions look like they're going to be arcane and pretty tricky. I've only managed the first step which required me to get a time-limited Key from the Season of Temptations then use it on the Peacock Door. I'm currently stuck on the second step which is to combine another Key with a level 15 Lantern influence, which is trickier than it sounds since they're both time-limited and getting through the Peacock Door is a massive faff now you can't find a Frangiclave randomly.

- Alex Kennedy's candle obsession strikes again - there's some new creepy events involving someone/something called the Chandler which really pile on the Fascination. Between that, the Season of Temptations giving Fascination and all the Lantern influences I'm trying to gather I'm swimming in Fascination. The White Door is now a pretty good way of getting Dread since you can get Restlessness or a level 6 Winter influence, for a 2/3 chance overall of getting something which decays to Dread.

Also, two general tips for anyone who hasn't got to grips with the Follower/Expedition changes from the last few months:
- People were complaining about success chances capping at 90% previously, but the flip side to this is that it's a lot safer to send tier 2 (Disciple) cultists on jobs or Expeditions since the penalty for failure is your follower getting wounded rather than killed. It's made the early game a lot smoother since you no longer have to get to send two of everything on Expeditions, plus the Spider Door is a lot more available even if you don't have tier 3 Grail/Edge followers to get prisoners.

- You can give followers gifts to give them a very small stat boost. Since you can boost their primary stat to 6, it should theoretically be possible to promote anyone to tier 3 if you can get the corresponding level 15 influence, not just people with the same aspect as your cult. I haven't had a chance to try this yet though.

Avasculous
Aug 30, 2008

Gato posted:

- You can give followers gifts to give them a very small stat boost. Since you can boost their primary stat to 6, it should theoretically be possible to promote anyone to tier 3 if you can get the corresponding level 15 influence, not just people with the same aspect as your cult. I haven't had a chance to try this yet though.

Unless he just changed this, you still can't promote followers with other aspects to tier 3, even if you get the aspect score high enough. It's annoying, because it's one of the things in the game with no feedback message- the ritual finishes, and they're not promoted.

I think it's also literally the only mechanical difference between the lores.

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

I enjoy the sight of humans on their knees.
That was a joke... unless..?

Speedball posted:

Lay siege to the walls of Mansus (yes, I know that it has none) and fight your way in by force.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
A lack of walls would not stop any soldier worth their salt from laying siege.

Gato
Feb 1, 2012

Ok I need a break this is getting ridiculous

Lantern NG+ spoilers:
so combining the Key of Dreams with a level 15 lantern influence gets you the Allure, which lasts 180s. Talking to a Maid-in-the-Mirror with the Allure takes 90s and gets you a Witness, which lasts 120s, but you lose the Maid. So you have to essentially chain-summon Maids so you can Talk to them constantly to keep accumulating Witnesses but if you need to use your Talk or Work tiles for anything else you're screwed and if the timer runs out on the Allure you have to start from square one. you can renew the Allure with Fascination but that's not too reliable. plus every single Maid I have summoned has rebelled, adding another 40s on argh

Also the Long attacks are getting really unpleasant. I narrowly avoided losing Health permanently, but avoiding the attack automatically makes the Long stronger. this is hard, and I'm not sure if it's fun or just infuriating.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

Avasculous posted:

I think it's also literally the only mechanical difference between the lores.

There's a new one!

Forge+ spoilers:

You can convince Echidna to give you the key without eating anyone... if you're running St. Hydra's. Which makes sense on a mechanical and a lore level. Neat!

Also, on the victory requirements:

Am I reading this right that I need a max Forge lore and a max Knock lore? I don't think anything else is going to take too long to get, Carcass Spark excepted, but those two are going to take forever.

The Long's not been too much of a pain yet. The scariest thing it's done so far is mug me, but now I'm piling up the funds that's lost its sting.

Not sure I want to stick around to see what it escalates to. :tinfoil:

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

Gato posted:

I'm not sure if it's fun or just infuriating.

It's an AK game, so probably the latter.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

I'm painting my Shaper's Guidance

Christ knows what sort of that would look like :stare:

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

I'm on the board of directors of Glover and Glover. Is that new? I make money hand over fist but while working there's a magnet slot for notoriety, in other words, I need to keep my nose clean. Hm.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i think that's been in for a good while at the least even if it wasn't in from launch, i know i was benefiting from it forever ago. it basically is a mad dash to get as much cash as you can before something inevitably goes bad.

on an unrelated topic, i've been messing with being a dancer and i hope i'm doing what i'm supposed to? i'm focusing on heart, turned 2-3 health into +heart scars, vomited up a snake, and assume maybe i need to go up to the next tier of dancing by auditioning with my physique to get things further along the way. i can pretty reliably hit 11 heart with my dances as a baseline but i figure i need more going on. almost feel like i'm spinning my wheels a little but at the least the occult funmoney and occasional books from doing it have been somewhat lucrative.