Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

BraveUlysses posted:

you can rent one pickup, if it's available

With all the procedures of renting a car, and all the speed of someone going through the steps the first time ever. Doing the same at uhaul? Better have reserved it two weeks ago. We have several 40 foot vans available! :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

hello i am noted divided highway state route 2 between Concord and 128 where there is a posted speed limit of 45 and left lane drives 70

Yep, that and route 1 between Boston 95. It's almost as if the police like having a readily available potential revenue stream of "lawbreakers" to tap into whenever they need a new cruiser.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

euphronius posted:

What is the highway between Buffalo and Toronto? That’s The fastest highway I’ve ever been on in terms of how fast people were going. Maybe some portions of I 95 too

QEW - Queen Elizabeth Way

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
When I'm going southeast into Chicago on 90 people drive really fast if conditions allow and it owns.

Like 80-90 mph left lane and at least 70-75 middles after the expansion was done a few years ago.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!

BloodBag posted:

With all the procedures of renting a car, and all the speed of someone going through the steps the first time ever. Doing the same at uhaul? Better have reserved it two weeks ago. We have several 40 foot vans available! :v:

I've rented a pickup from Uhaul on at least two occasions and only bothered to reserve it the night before. :confused:

I've also rented their cargo van (same price as pickup) when I was picking up a bunch of flooring and logistically it was better than the pickup - kept it all nice and dry.

But, yeah the checkout process still sucked. What the hell are they typing into their computer for 20 minutes when you rent a goddamn vehicle that you already reserved?

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Probably playing ADoM and passing it off as their mainframe terminal.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

Jiminy Christmas! Shoes! posted:

I've rented a pickup from Uhaul on at least two occasions and only bothered to reserve it the night before. :confused:

I've also rented their cargo van (same price as pickup) when I was picking up a bunch of flooring and logistically it was better than the pickup - kept it all nice and dry.

But, yeah the checkout process still sucked. What the hell are they typing into their computer for 20 minutes when you rent a goddamn vehicle that you already reserved?

Renting a uhaul van owns for moving random poo poo

Sits on Pilster
Oct 12, 2004
I like to wear bras on my ass while I masturbate?
Uhaul chat: I have been wanting to buy a basic cargo trailer to use with my wife's GX470 when we need to haul poo poo but the cost to rent one at Uhaul is so drat low that the payback makes it unjustifiable.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Sits on Pilster posted:

Uhaul chat: I have been wanting to buy a basic cargo trailer to use with my wife's GX470 when we need to haul poo poo but the cost to rent one at Uhaul is so drat low that the payback makes it unjustifiable.

The uhaul trailers are heavy and durable as poo poo, they're good if you have something with a high towing capacity like that but compared to a small aluminum utility trailer that you're trying to tow behind something small they're way too heavy.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice
Those U-Haul cargo vans are awesome and the checkout process for me has always been super quick. You know, after you wait 10-15 minutes for the dude who runs a U-Haul rental business on the side out of his boxing gym or shipping company/Ethiopian bootleg dvd store to get his poo poo together and find the keys.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Looks like ford is building a pickup/ute off the CD6 platform

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a25998560/ford-confirms-new-small-pickup/

moon demon
Sep 11, 2001

of the moon, of the dream
Pickups on every platform imo

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

chupacabraTERROR posted:

Pickups on every platform imo

In the US in 2020/2021ish, ford's lineup will be

Cars:
mustang

SUVs:
ecosport
escape
baby bronco
edge
explorer
bronco
expedition
mach 1

Trucks:
CD6 ute
ranger
f-150
f-250/350

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

Powershift posted:

In the US in 2020/2021ish, ford's lineup will be

Cars:
mustang

SUVs:
ecosport
escape
baby bronco
edge
explorer
bronco
expedition
mach 1

Trucks:
CD6 ute
ranger
f-150
f-250/350

You're missing the Focus Active, which is likely going to be as much of an SUV as the XC70 or the Audi Allroads.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Twerk from Home posted:

You're missing the Focus Active, which is likely going to be as much of an SUV as the XC70 or the Audi Allroads.

Trump's tarrifs killed the US focus Active

https://www.autonews.com/article/20180831/OEM04/180839958/ford-scraps-plan-to-import-focus-active-amid-u-s-china-trade-war

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

I _entirely_ missed that. Holy poo poo, that should have been a great value vehicle all around.

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

The next oil crisis can't come soon enough.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

Disgruntled Bovine posted:

excuse me but it is my my given right to back my 22' long, three and a half ton vehicle into every other thing in the parking lot

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

PT6A posted:

It sounds like Mazda has the makings of a credible competitor to the Golf R, if they choose to do it.

Also I don't give a poo poo what anyone says, AWD is loving great and worth paying money for. I got in the R last night in the middle of a snowstorm with absolute confidence, and had nary a single problem getting home. I've never driven FWD in the snow to be fair, but I would sure as poo poo have been making GBS threads myself in my old Mustang.

Isn't golf r still running lovely haldex which is mostly fwd anyway?

Elem7
Apr 12, 2003
der
Dinosaur Gum

Disgruntled Bovine posted:

People keep saying that whenever Ford's abandonment of cars comes up and I can't help but wonder if y'all are actually paying attention. Oil prices are low currently and with it looking like a global recession is coming/already here they aren't likely to go up to the stratospheric levels seen in 2008 or when the recovery really started to pick up steam(for rich people). Fracking killed $100 a barrel oil, at least for now, it's not like Ford isn't capable of checking oil prices and trends.

Also the mileage difference between between modern CUVs and sedans isn't that great nowadays, I mean outside of car commercials how many people are really making a decision based off a couple MPG?

fridge corn posted:

It is but it's not 2005 anymore where, it'll do a 50/50 split not the near useless 90/10 split seen in some older cars that just wanted an AWD badge.

Elem7 fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Jan 23, 2019

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Proud Christian Mom posted:

excuse me but it is my my given right to back my 22' long, three and a half ton vehicle into every other thing in the parking lot

I'm laughing because there were full sized pickups and SUVs parked in the "compact vehicles only" row at the airport today.

smooth jazz
May 13, 2010

I donated 10 bucks to a Savagegeee livestream to ask what the best new car for no squeaks and rattles under 40k usd. He said Golf R and new Avalon.

What do goons say?

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

I say you got ripped off, the Golf R is $40,395 which any mathematician can tell you is over $40k.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

smooth jazz posted:

I donated 10 bucks to a Savagegeee livestream to ask what the best new car for no squeaks and rattles under 40k usd. He said Golf R and new Avalon.

What do goons say?

Our advise is cheaper lmao

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

BraveUlysses posted:

Our advise is cheaper lmao

you get what you pay for though :D

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
You can just answer the question yourself by going to a dealer and driving cars though?

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer

Elem7 posted:

it's not like Ford isn't capable of checking oil prices and trends.

Hahaha, just like last time they'll keep shoveling trucks as long as they can. Full steam ahead, never mind the icebergs!

At the beginning of November 2018, Ford had 303,565 trucks available for sale, which amounted to an 89-day supply. Hint: that's not exactly super great.

smooth jazz
May 13, 2010

Throatwarbler posted:

You can just answer the question yourself by going to a dealer and driving cars though?

All my car interiors are nice and tight when new but loosen up over time. Legacy, Focus ST, Audi S4...
Wondering if there's better.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

Every now and then I briefly consider checking out the Golf R since it really is sort of a perfect ideal car.

Then I remember that it's a $45k Golf.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Nidhg00670000 posted:

Hahaha, just like last time they'll keep shoveling trucks as long as they can. Full steam ahead, never mind the icebergs!

At the beginning of November 2018, Ford had 303,565 trucks available for sale, which amounted to an 89-day supply. Hint: that's not exactly super great.

They also sold over 900k trucks in the Us last year, with an average transaction price of $46,700.

There are 6 brands including ford that sold more than 900k vehicles last year. Hyundai only sold 679k vehicles, Volkswagen 354k

BMW, Mercedes, and Audi combined sold 887,265.

Also

https://www.autonews.com/article/20180416/RETAIL01/180419881/inventories-stay-high-but-days-supply-levels-drop

quote:

Automakers collectively reported an estimated 4,065,600 unsold vehicles in U.S. inventories on April 1, representing a 69-day supply. Trucks accounted for about 69 percent of unsold inventory at 2,786,800 units

nice, nice.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Wheeee posted:

Every now and then I briefly consider checking out the Golf R since it really is sort of a perfect ideal car.

Then I remember that it's a $45k Golf.

Me too, me too. It is a really nice Golf, though. It's really more like an Audi S3 hatchback wearing a VW badge.

But 45k is still a lot of scrilla and there's a lot of cars you can buy for 45k, especially if you consider lightly used.

Elem7
Apr 12, 2003
der
Dinosaur Gum

Nidhg00670000 posted:

...and that has what to do with abandoning sedans and oil prices? Would it be better if they had 303,565 Fusions available for sale?

The entire industry is facing a global downturn, supplies across the board are likely to go up from here, doesn't have anything to do with Ford abandoning cars.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

Elem7 posted:

...and that has what to do with abandoning sedans and oil prices? Would it be better if they had 303,565 Fusions available for sale?

The entire industry is facing a global downturn, supplies across the board are likely to go up from here, doesn't have anything to do with Ford abandoning cars.

This time around it looks like they're cutting production earlier and deeper though, so there won't be as many "economic crash specials" out there as there were in 2008-2009.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

I don't think 17M cars sold a year is a sustainable figure. They've hit it the last 3 years as people borrow cheap money to buy new cars, purchases that they probably put off for a while. I just don't think it's sustainable, especially with the cost of many new cars out there. I also think there's a subprime auto lending bubble ready to pop if the economy takes a downturn which would further put a dent in the market. I'm also talking out of my rear end, so who knows.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Guinness posted:

Me too, me too. It is a really nice Golf, though. It's really more like an Audi S3 hatchback wearing a VW badge.

But 45k is still a lot of scrilla and there's a lot of cars you can buy for 45k, especially if you consider lightly used.

And if you're considering lightly used you can snag a mk7 R for $30-35k all day.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

fridge corn posted:

Don't know, but I've lost traction under acceleration... one time? so far in snow and ice, so if this is just lovely good-enough AWD, then god only knows what an excellent AWD would be like.

And I mean, yeah, it's a $45k Golf (is it in the US? If so, you guys are getting ripped off because it was a CAD$45k car in Canada and our exchange rate is trash), but if the badging/branding of the car is the primary issue with the price, I don't really give a gently caress.

Morphix
May 21, 2003

by Reene

smooth jazz posted:

All my car interiors are nice and tight when new but loosen up over time. Legacy, Focus ST, Audi S4...
Wondering if there's better.

just buy a lexus and be done with it

you can get a 2015-16 RX 350 L/Certified for less than $28k that will outlast you, who cares what the loving thing looks like, inside it's comfy and that's where you'll spend most of your time anyway, and maintenance will be non-existent compared to anything else in the price range and you get to enjoy a luxury vehicle without worrying about it making GBS threads the bed on you.

Morphix fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Jan 24, 2019

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

PT6A posted:

And I mean, yeah, it's a $45k Golf (is it in the US? If so, you guys are getting ripped off because it was a CAD$45k car in Canada and our exchange rate is trash), but if the badging/branding of the car is the primary issue with the price, I don't really give a gently caress.

With delivery fees, a US 2019 Golf R has an MSRP of 41,290 with a 6MT or 42,390 with the DSG before any add-ons or taxes. And they apparently sell for basically MSRP.

So not quite 45k I guess, but near enough to not make a difference.

Morphix
May 21, 2003

by Reene

I mean look at it. It's not great. It's not exciting. It just exists. But for less than $30k, what other interior in the automotive world, will hold up as well as a loving lexus? ...yes I helped my mom buy one of these off lease l/certifieds, and honestly, once the updated bodystyle ones go off lease, im probably gonna pick one up as well. The lexus CPO experience is the poo poo. Like I'm not trying to sell lexus here or anything, but you get a 2yr free waranty and you can buy a basic warranty for like $1500 and boost it to 6 years. But it's a lexus, so stick with the free 2 yr. Oh and your bank will give you new car rates on l/certifieds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

If Lexus could somehow keep up with Audi on making decent turbo V6 engines and do away with the lovely spaceshipy design and predator grilles with updated internal/infotainment tech I would be all over it.

But as it stands Lexus always seems old and dated compared to the competition. This makes me an Audi guy. I think an S4 or S5 sportback is the perfect car for me. Or alternatively an A6.

Otherwise I’m enjoying my new 2019 Jetta. I may trade it in for a new GLI in 2 years because I’m really starting to feel the floaty suspension and lack of power at higher RPMs.

When I look at the new Golf R I’m impressed but then I remember a new Camry V6 XSE costs about the same and gives me way more car for the money and I likely wouldn’t notice the difference.