Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

meltie
Nov 9, 2003

Not a sodding fridge.

FuturePastNow posted:

A Constellation of questionable reliability landing on Kermit Weeks' tiny grass runway:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xRwSKmFoFa8&t=450s

SLEEK AND ELEGANT LINES

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Dual engine out on a 787 during landing.

https://simpleflying.com/ana-dual-engine-failure-on-landing/

quote:

As usual, the pilots deployed the thrust reversers after touchdown to slow down the aircraft. Shortly thereafter they noticed that both Rolls-Royce Trent 1000 engines had shut down. At this point the crew let the aircraft roll down the runway. It came to a complete stop after 8,030 feet.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

meltie posted:

SLEEK AND ELEGANT LINES

Fight me

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

:stare:

Well that’s something.

Funding Trents. GE may be failing but gimme those GEnx fans every day.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Jealous Cow posted:

:stare:

Well that’s something.

Funding Trents. GE may be failing but gimme those GEnx fans every day.

The whole Trent 1000 debacle makes me wonder how much the British government is going to pump into RR to keep them alive, especially with brexit. Or maybe specifically for the purpose of having a them succeed despite themselves in light of brexit.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Finger Prince posted:

The whole Trent 1000 debacle makes me wonder how much the British government is going to pump into RR to keep them alive, especially with brexit. Or maybe specifically for the purpose of having a them succeed despite themselves in light of brexit.

Like british airways they'll probably become a spanish company or whatever.

Pidgin Englishman
Apr 30, 2007

If you shoot
you better hit your mark

meltie posted:

SLEEK AND ELEGANT LINES

Scientist baffled: History's most wrong opinion still present

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

Finger Prince posted:

Given how they've handled themselves in the last couple years, I'm pretty sure any effort by the British government to rescue Rolls-Royce again would set the company on fire and cause the entire executive staff to turn into frogs or something.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.

Pidgin Englishman posted:

Scientist baffled: History's most wrong opinion still present

the original L-049 constellation (and its military precursor, the C-69) is an attractive, well-proportioned plane, though the triple tail is admittedly a bit weird and it would probably look better without the center fin.

the stretched versions get progressively worse looking, culminating with the L-1049 and its later proposed variants, which are big deformed flying donkey dongs

Tsuru
May 12, 2008
Yes yes show us more 1049/1649 pictures to teach us how misguided we are

(Don't ever stop)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=taU6qu5pXBo

Tsuru fucked around with this message at 09:47 on Jan 23, 2019

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Same icing issue as the 777 at Heathrow or mystery computer bug? Latter more likely and more scary.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Ola posted:

Same icing issue as the 777 at Heathrow or mystery computer bug? Latter more likely and more scary.

lovely engines. Like I'm pretty sure the only reason they're etops rated still is political pressure.
(if I find out what it actually was, I'll post what I can).

Finger Prince fucked around with this message at 13:05 on Jan 23, 2019

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib
Piper Malibu went down in the waters north of the Island where I live in the English Channel. This would not be huge news but a premiership footballer was on it.
https://twitter.com/BBCGuernsey/status/1088062124729999360
It reeks of a grey market charter, maybe Wingly.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Finger Prince posted:

lovely engines. Like I'm pretty sure the only reason they're etops rated still is political pressure.
(if I find out what it actually was, I'll post what I can).

If etops got pulled from the trents would fleets repower with GEnx? What other options are there?

That would be huge for GE and finally doom RR’s aviation division.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
British engines: just as reliable on planes as they are in cars and motorcycles :v:

Compare this to my namesake engine, which is so goddamned reliable it's specifically excepted from certain single-engine restrictions in the Canadian Air Regulations.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Some of the Trent 1000s are already limited to ETOPS-60

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
Imagine paying that much for brand new shiny airplanes and then, oops, turns out they're basically useless! Sorry!

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Jealous Cow posted:

If etops got pulled from the trents would fleets repower with GEnx? What other options are there?

That would be huge for GE and finally doom RR’s aviation division.

Technically they could, the 787 was designed so that you could even intermix engines if you needed to. Same mounts and all that. The problem is GE wouldn't be able to build enough for the demand, and that's not even getting into contractual obligations. So the more likely scenario is Rolls making any promise they can to the regulator (who likely has a political motivation to accept those promises) to keep their certification, and making whatever promises to airlines they can to keep them sweet up to and including footing all the bills, and hoping that expense will be covered by cheap government backed loans or something (who again have political motivation to keep Rolls afloat through this brexit business).

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
I am pretty sure most Trents are sold through a performance based model so yeah RR is on the hook for a lot of service work and also steep downtime penalties, and those contracts are going to be hard to break for the airlines.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

I am pretty sure most Trents are sold through a performance based model so yeah RR is on the hook for a lot of service work and also steep downtime penalties, and those contracts are going to be hard to break for the airlines.

Unless RR can't deliver at all.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

hobbesmaster posted:

Unless RR can't deliver at all.

right, but that point in time is still hundreds of millions of pounds away

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

right, but that point in time is still hundreds of millions of pounds away

Which will be worth what, :20bux: in April?

PhotoKirk
Jul 2, 2007

insert witty text here

Pure sex.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?
Majestic even

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Inasmuch as the one on the bottom looks like an aroused version of the one on top :v:

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel

Sagebrush posted:

the original L-049 constellation (and its military precursor, the C-69) is an attractive, well-proportioned plane, though the triple tail is admittedly a bit weird and it would probably look better without the center fin.

the stretched versions get progressively worse looking, culminating with the L-1049 and its later proposed variants, which are big deformed flying donkey dongs

The long one looks better.

sandoz
Jan 29, 2009

computer, can I get a longer connie

no, looooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooonger

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

There is no problem that cannot be solved through sufficient application of lasers and friendship.
You're all forgetting the ugliest sister.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!

Ardeem posted:

My entire life, my image of Connies has been of an EC-121, because that's what they have at the Military Air Museum at Forbes Field. That also means, i've been inside a connie. :-)

marumaru
May 20, 2013

Lightbulb Out posted:

The long one looks better.

this opinion is correct

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
Wingtip tanks :discourse:

PhotoKirk
Jul 2, 2007

insert witty text here

Ardeem posted:

Thicc.

Dr_Strangelove
Dec 16, 2003

Mein Fuhrer! THEY WON!

vessbot posted:

Doubled not halved :rock:

Good god, Nitro was a terrible band.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Makes me nauseous.

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel
I grew up seeing a Super Connie @ EAA every year so I don't think anyone can convince me they're not super cool.

meltie
Nov 9, 2003

Not a sodding fridge.

I actually think it's a really beautiful aircraft but the quote was just too :kiss: to ignore :)

meltie fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Jan 24, 2019

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
I've always liked the super connie and it has nothing to do with the fact that my grandpa flew them for TWA :colbert:

monkeytennis
Apr 26, 2007

Toilet Rascal

ReelBigLizard posted:

Piper Malibu went down in the waters north of the Island where I live in the English Channel. This would not be huge news but a premiership footballer was on it.
https://twitter.com/BBCGuernsey/status/1088062124729999360
It reeks of a grey market charter, maybe Wingly.

His WhatsApp messages were played on the news and he was saying stuff like “I’m on a plane that sounds like it’s falling apart”. I know he’s not an expert but obvs the media are all excited about it.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Every propeller plane sounds like it’s falling apart, to the unrefined palate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

marumaru
May 20, 2013

Youtube has been recommending me a billion short takeoff/landing videos now and I came across this one again

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZP-9mWqFh3c

I seriously love that big ramp it has to climb before the strip.