Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

salt shakeup posted:

What the gently caress is this?

A joke that you completely misread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Super Rad
Feb 15, 2003
Sir Loin of Beef
Jokes makin jokes...

Minorkos
Feb 20, 2010

i don't think goons are ready for the hot new racist bug man meme

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

haha its funny because they said a racist thing without meaning it lol the internet!

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
Artifact hit 1150 players last night. Will it go sub-1k???

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

It will go sub 1k by February 1st

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games
Fat Gabe is just getting the numbers as low as he can so that the glorious comeback will be as glorious as possible.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Artibuff and Drawtwo put out open letters basically saying the game is hosed unless Valve are willing to make One Last Push, and a really big one. Both basically say what everyone else has been saying all along about making the game f2p and to add some sort of ranked mode that doesn't involve buying tickets to play. For more specific tl;dr, Artibuff suggests a single-player event where you play against Roshan and a seasonal battlepass. DrawTwo doesn't add anything people haven't already been saying, but seems a lot lot lot less optimistic about the whole situation:

"Far more important than @PlayArtifact's Twitter activity (or lack thereof) is the fact that we still haven't received any updates from Valve on the fabled "million dollar Artifact tournament". One of the most obvious ways to draw new players into the Artifact scene would be to get pro gamers from other card games to start talking about and streaming the game, and the announcement of a Valve-sanctioned tournament would almost assuredly accomplish that. The troubling part about this is that there is a 0% chance that Valve isn't aware of how much it would benefit the community to announce this tournament."

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

I too would love to have a million dollar tournament for a game where there are like 16 and a half players and I am one of them

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great
this is great news because by the time the billion million bucks tournament rolls around i'll be the only eligible participant left, not because i bought or played the game (let's not be silly) but because i accidentally left the game's steam store page open for too long as i was skimming funny customer reviews.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Those articles were terrible. More deluded nonsense from people pretending that the game is fun for almost anyone to play. And I don't mean bearable or skill-testing, I mean fun.

The game has lost 98% of its players who bought the game. I would bet almost all of these quitters did not bother earning their free packs after the December patch, because they do not enjoy playing the game, because it is not fun.

There are thousands of games with progression and reward systems and people play the ones that are fun. Artifact is not fun. It will not be played.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

No Wave posted:

Those articles were terrible. More deluded nonsense from people pretending that the game is fun for almost anyone to play. And I don't mean bearable or skill-testing, I mean fun.

The game has lost 98% of its players who bought the game. I would bet almost all of these quitters did not bother earning their free packs after the December patch, because they do not enjoy playing the game, because it is not fun.

There are thousands of games with progression and reward systems and people play the ones that are fun. Artifact is not fun. It will not be played.

Yeah I didn't even know there were free packs but I haven't even launched this game since the day I bought it, played 3 matches, and realized I wasn't in control of the combat phase at all and never launched it again. I didn't even learn that there were no free packs until about a week after I stopped playing.

moush
Aug 19, 2009

Rage Your Dream
They're just desperate because they put so much time into the website banking on the future.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

moush posted:

They're just desperate because they put so much time into the website banking on the future.
Accurate. In a reddit thread somebody made fun of that 3 month old article that said "Why Artifact Will Be the Biggest E-Sport" article, then the guy who wrote it replied and bragged that it got him a job writing for an Artifact website and it doesn't matter whether he meant what he wrote or not.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

No Wave posted:

Accurate. In a reddit thread somebody made fun of that 3 month old article that said "Why Artifact Will Be the Biggest E-Sport" article, then the guy who wrote it replied and bragged that it got him a job writing for an Artifact website and it doesn't matter whether he meant what he wrote or not.

Now THIS is Artifact

also yeah pretty much all the Reddit comments were saying how both articles were about attracting new players, but the game already had 200k+ people pay the 20$ upfront and 98% of them left. Why bother trying to attract new players with F2P when you can't keep but 2% of the ones you've already got?

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

Artibuff and Drawtwo put out open letters basically saying the game is hosed unless Valve are willing to make One Last Push, and a really big one. Both basically say what everyone else has been saying all along about making the game f2p and to add some sort of ranked mode that doesn't involve buying tickets to play. For more specific tl;dr, Artibuff suggests a single-player event where you play against Roshan and a seasonal battlepass. DrawTwo doesn't add anything people haven't already been saying, but seems a lot lot lot less optimistic about the whole situation:

"Far more important than @PlayArtifact's Twitter activity (or lack thereof) is the fact that we still haven't received any updates from Valve on the fabled "million dollar Artifact tournament". One of the most obvious ways to draw new players into the Artifact scene would be to get pro gamers from other card games to start talking about and streaming the game, and the announcement of a Valve-sanctioned tournament would almost assuredly accomplish that. The troubling part about this is that there is a 0% chance that Valve isn't aware of how much it would benefit the community to announce this tournament."

also lol: richard garfield was doing his standard idea pump and dump if this rumor is true

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NDKN_f6nq08&t=6902s

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

I think Valve would have to do way more than making it f2p and such. Like, they have to go f2p but I don't think it'll do much to bring people back. At this point, they'd need to rework a bunch of mechanics, cards, do a big balance pass, and so on.

They'd also need to start communicating more. That Twitter hasn't said a thing for over a month. But it's Valve, so, I doubt that'll happen.

And people got lovely when I said this game wouldn't last twelve months! It hasn't even lasted twelve weeks!

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:

deep dish peat moss posted:

Yeah I didn't even know there were free packs but I haven't even launched this game since the day I bought it, played 3 matches, and realized I wasn't in control of the combat phase at all

What do you mean?

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Pointing a guy at a guy and watching him swing, which is fun.

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I CANNOT HELP BUT MAKE THE DCSS THREAD A FETID SWAMP OF UNFUN POSTING
plz notice me trunk-senpai

No Wave posted:

Yeah I think people underestimate how many people wanted this monetization scheme to work but the game is just boring.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

I'd be surprised if they haven't either a) written it off and begun work on Artifact: Rebirth or b) written it off entirely by now.

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I CANNOT HELP BUT MAKE THE DCSS THREAD A FETID SWAMP OF UNFUN POSTING
plz notice me trunk-senpai
https://isartifactdead.com

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!

oof, Shadowverse. The deepest cut.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Richard Garfield actually wanted it to be less popular than shadowverse. It was part of his grand vision

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
They should nerf axe again

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

From my understanding Richard Garfield has like one (I imagine it's more)success and about a billion failures? Wow better let him design my new big game! Oh no he's leaving? That's so damaging because he's the most smartest designer ever he can't be replaced.

No Wave posted:

Nope fun only loosely has to do with success. The game appearing to be dead (I mean it is dead, but appearance matters) probably hurt more then not being fun. Gamers will consume the slop given to them, but sadly this slop cost money and Valve wasn't willing to put the effort into hitting critical mass.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Reality Winter posted:

What do you mean?

The game picked what units attacked, what spaces they attacked, and who blocked them instead of letting me make strategic decisions on my own

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Duck and Cover posted:

Nope fun only loosely has to do with success. The game appearing to be dead (I mean it is dead, but appearance matters) probably hurt more then not being fun. Gamers will consume the slop given to them, but sadly this slop cost money and Valve wasn't willing to put the effort into hitting critical mass.
I just don't think that's true. Games only have to be fun for a short time and then some people just play them forever regardless of how much they suck later. You at least liked Coldlight Oracle, is there a single card in this game you like at all?

The only terrible game that's really popular is imo Overwatch but idk. I'm not smart enough to understand that phenomenon.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

I think for all the defending of the monetization that people do because "IT'S JUST LIKE A REAL CARD GAME" Artifact has an awfully high number of things that you would never be able to do in a real card game. Like, can you imagine trying to calculate arrow aggro in each lane for each unit each round using something like a coinflip? Or trying to roll for creep placement each round? I don't think it's coincidence that the RNG that would be a mega pain in the rear end in a real-life card game is also the RNG components that people hate the most that are unique to Artifact

No Wave posted:

The only terrible game that's really popular is imo Overwatch but idk. I'm not smart enough to understand that phenomenon.

Overwatch got popular for the same reason Fortnite or League are popular - it's own popularity. People saw how big it was getting and wanted to be a part of it. People came in to be the next big streamer, big competitive player. That high demand also brings in people who aren't traditionally in it for the gameplay - Overwatch generates tons of fanart, tons of cosplays. The huge amount of content generation means that it reaches a lot more people, who then look into the game, and the cycle continues. It's a way to be a part of a community where you're almost guaranteed to get noticed because of the brand recognition. It's way more appealing to be a part of a huge community that supports the content of people within it. On the flipside, look at DotA. There's barely any fanart, or cosplay, or anything like that. Dota's all about playing the game, the community around it is really lovely and isn't fun to be a part of at all. Same with Artifact - Valve have done an incredibly bad job of trying to build a community that makes people want to be a part of. Dota still lives on because it's the ultimate skilltest in the genre, and without visible MMR and ranked matchmaking I'm pretty sure you'd see the playerbase absolutely plummet. Artifact is exactly that - Dota without MMR. If the game is impossibly difficult and infinitely complex and has a high cost to get into and the community around the game isn't fun why the gently caress would anyone keep playing?

RazzleDazzleHour fucked around with this message at 04:25 on Jan 24, 2019

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

No Wave posted:

Bright colours and flashing lights make things appealing to children, and busty ladies make it extra appealing to manchildren.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

Overwatch got popular for the same reason Fortnite or League are popular - it's own popularity. People saw how big it was getting and wanted to be a part of it. People came in to be the next big streamer, big competitive player. That high demand also brings in people who aren't traditionally in it for the gameplay - Overwatch generates tons of fanart, tons of cosplays. The huge amount of content generation means that it reaches a lot more people, who then look into the game, and the cycle continues. It's a way to be a part of a community where you're almost guaranteed to get noticed because of the brand recognition. It's way more appealing to be a part of a huge community that supports the content of people within it. On the flipside, look at DotA. There's barely any fanart, or cosplay, or anything like that. Dota's all about playing the game, the community around it is really lovely and isn't fun to be a part of at all. Same with Artifact - Valve have done an incredibly bad job of trying to build a community that makes people want to be a part of. Dota still lives on because it's the ultimate skilltest in the genre, and without visible MMR and ranked matchmaking I'm pretty sure you'd see the playerbase absolutely plummet. Artifact is exactly that - Dota without MMR. If the game is impossibly difficult and infinitely complex and has a high cost to get into and the community around the game isn't fun why the gently caress would anyone keep playing?
Fortnite and LoL are fun games (until they're not) even if I don't play them.

Hearthstone has no community or fanart or anything, it's just had periods (at this point long behind them) of being fun.

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
Ignore my doomerism, I don't think better things are possible
Recreate Hearthstone with a little more depth and complexity, and a client that looks like it was built in this decade. That’s all Valve needed to do. Finding a way to make it cheaper would just be a bonus.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I think Dota is actually fun in a way that Artifact is not. It lets you live the fantasy of being the raid boss or making a huge game-changing play with a well placed ability or co-ordinated team effort. I think Artifact largely fails to recreate that - no matter how stacked your heroes get they just smack whatever happens to land in front of them each turn.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

No Wave posted:

Fortnite and LoL are fun games (until they're not) even if I don't play them

Overwatch came out before both Fortnite and PUBG by a while, so if you wanted to play an FPS your alternative was what...Call of Duty or Counter Strike? It's not hard to see why "Team Fortress 2 But By Blizzard" got a huge following. The game also has ways for people who are not inherently good at FPS games to still contribute, with healers and tanks or heroes who just don't even need to aim.

If you would ask me if the game was good when it came out I probably would have said yes, I had a lot of fun with it. I eventually quit once I realized how loving boring it was to shoot Reinhardt shields all game every game or how literally every person playing wanted to be the next Genji/Hanzo/Widow pubstar

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

Let's just all play Dota chess

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

ZenVulgarity posted:

I'm already in the NADotachess discord

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

Irony Be My Shield posted:

I think Dota is actually fun in a way that Artifact is not. It lets you live the fantasy of being the raid boss or making a huge game-changing play with a well placed ability or co-ordinated team effort. I think Artifact largely fails to recreate that - no matter how stacked your heroes get they just smack whatever happens to land in front of them each turn.

It doesn't even really feel like Dota. It feels like a card game with a Dota coat of paint as opposed to capturing the feel of Dota but with cards.

And the Dota coat of paint is hardly shining and fantastic. The art's all so static and uninteresting.

Whoever it was who said that Artifact should've been some weird 3v3 card game was on the money.

ZenVulgarity posted:

Dota Chess is fun and all but the balance is shocking (I'm yet to lose with Troll/Warlock) and it takes way too long to actually get a game going. I'm also reasonably sure some heroes just don't work and certain functions don't really work either. It also seems pretty safely solved.

Milkfred E. Moore fucked around with this message at 06:52 on Jan 24, 2019

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Matchmaking issues aside I really like autochess, a strictly drafting based game is a neat idea. Big fan of Druid/Beasts.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Actually overwatch is good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

No Wave posted:

I just don't think that's true. Games only have to be fun for a short time and then some people just play them forever regardless of how much they suck later. You at least liked Coldlight Oracle, is there a single card in this game you like at all?

The cards in Artifact aren't all that interesting but I found the game play itself was. It felt deeper, but the layers of RNG and lack of card/hero balanced kind of kills it.

Blizzard likes to make aggressively alright games that target markets that aren't presently being sufficiently served. See Hearthstone, Overwatch, Diablo. Hearthstone had to compete with what? Bad MTG computer games? Overwatch took over TF2s market because TF2 was getting old. I mean old doesn't necessarily mean bad just means people have kind of played enough of it and are willing to try something "new" (but not too new). Path of Exile existed but https://steamcharts.com/app/238960#All (there's also a stand alone client but this is a visible metric).

I didn't play Overwatch because I thought it'd be the best team based shooter. I played it because I knew it'd do well and probably be mildly amusing. At release I felt the game was on the border of making things too hard to kill; they continued that trend and I stopped playing. The lootboxes/lovely events also kind of kills it for me. I hate games trying to manipulate me into playing more than I want.

Duck and Cover fucked around with this message at 08:23 on Jan 24, 2019