Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

snorch
Jul 27, 2009
I've got the PO Speak and it's tons of fun to just spend an hour or two just plugging away at beats and sounds. I'd say if you're interested, absolutely get one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Rolo posted:

I have a Yamaha digital piano that I’ve been using as, well, a piano but it also has a digital out that I’ve hooked to my iPad to have some fun with different effects and recordings.

I’d like to toy with a beat machine to eventually add but don’t want to spend a lot just to try it out. You guys like Teenage Engineering/Pocket Operators? They seem like a fun inexpensive way to test the water.

E: The arcade one is my favorite sounding.

I have the 10 series and the Tonic and they're super fun.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Sweet! I was eyeballing the Speak so if I can figure out the Arcade that’ll be my next one.

Question two, is there an easy way to run the 3.5 port/out of a PO into an iPad for recording? I’m assuming I can’t run it straight into the headset jack and I’ll need some kind of powered interface?

osker
Dec 18, 2002

Wedge Regret

Rolo posted:

I have a Yamaha digital piano that I’ve been using as, well, a piano but it also has a digital out that I’ve hooked to my iPad to have some fun with different effects and recordings.

I’d like to toy with a beat machine to eventually add but don’t want to spend a lot just to try it out. You guys like Teenage Engineering/Pocket Operators? They seem like a fun inexpensive way to test the water.

E: The arcade one is my favorite sounding.

The PO-32 Tonic is an incredibly fun drum machine which can have the voices replaced via audio data transfer. Folks post their patches on youtube and soundcloud, so you don't have to buy the software which generates the patches (MicroTonic).

Edit: something to know, the Tonic has 4 voice channels for the drums. The Speak has 1 channel for that cool vocoder and 1 for the drum track. The single channel drum machine in the speak accepts the same Tonic patches. In vase you have not gotten acquainted with the PO-33 Knockout, it is a sampler if you have drum samples you already like to use.

Regarding question 2, the output is headphone levels so an ipad with a line in will pick it up. I set pocket operators to 75% volume for recording as i have had clipping with 100% volume.

osker fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Jan 21, 2019

DragQueenofAngmar
Dec 29, 2009

You shall not pass!
personally I don’t jive well with the POs, not a very popular opinion online but I found the pattern length pretty short and chaining patterns a bit awkward for the format, since if I need a full songs worth of percussion I’d probably make it on a more convenient piece of hardware/controller/in a daw. definitely really good value for the price in terms of available sounds and control over shaping them, I just prefer something like the volca beats for quick live jams because the interface is more intuitive for me. probably still worth picking one up to try as they’re so cheap though, and maybe I just need more time with mine to get it to click

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Regarding the Mac vs PC thing, I want to give my tale of woe. I mean, it wasn't all bad; In 2007, I took recording arts at a local technical college, and got a MBP with Logic Express 7. I loved it. I loved Logic so much, it was so refreshing from what I had been using, which was FL Studio. I guess I really appreciated the normal workflow, vs FLS' weird flow. Anyway, I upgrade to Logic Pro 7, which then because Logic Studio, finally upgrading to Logic Studio 9, with a Mac Pro back in 2010. I have a Firestudio 2626. This is my dilemma... I want to upgrade to Logic X, but I can't unless I get a new interface, which I'm not willing or able to do right now. Why do I need a new interface? Because Logic X requires a version of OS X that, if I get it, will not be compatible whatsoever with my interface. So... I can update my OS, get the new Logic, and have to use headphones via my onboard Core Audio card, or I can not get Logic X, miss out on the new features (and Alchemy :negative:), but retain the ability to use instruments and my studio monitors via my Firestudio.

Had I gone PC, way back in the day, I would have been more inconvenienced while going through school, as being able to use Logic at home was amazing, but I'd likely not have been blocked by being unable to update.

Software-wise, I strongly recommend Reaper. It's wonderful, cheap (full commercial license is like... $160, but it also has a non-hindering demo mode), and constantly updated, and is fairly solid nowadays. It's extremely customizable, allowing you not only to create your own shortcuts and hotkeys for procedures, but you can even go into photoshop or any image editor, make your own button design, add that button to Reaper's dashboard controls, and assign it to literally any function or chain of functions you want, thus allowing you to kind of create your own DAW look and feel.

It's so nice. And it's cross-platform!

So yeah, Logic is wonderful, but be prepared to have to pay to upgrade your equipment years down the road, maybe sooner than you might want. I know I'm complaining now, in 2019, over gear I bought almost 10 years ago, but this all actually started back in 2014, and I've just rolled with it since. So, I had bought gear that, while new at the time, was rendered 'legacy' and unusuable with OS upgrades ~4 years after.

Rupert Buttermilk fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Jan 21, 2019

ricecult
Oct 2, 2012

These questions may not be answerable until the volca modular comes out, but honestly the only huge drawback for me is it's lack of cv outs (other than sync). How hard do you think that would be to put into a volca unit? I'm sure they're all different but they use similar cases, would there be enough room to put jacks in? Would it be feasible for this kind of circuit?

I'm on the fence with it, because it does seem limited in certain ways, but it does also seem like I could use it with some of my other gear that uses those arduino style patch cables (olegtron 4060, koma field kit, if I ever get a moog werkstatt or bastl). Does anyone know if the voltages and such would work between all these units?

BeigeJacket
Jul 21, 2005

ricecult posted:

These questions may not be answerable until the volca modular comes out, but honestly the only huge drawback for me is it's lack of cv outs (other than sync). How hard do you think that would be to put into a volca unit? I'm sure they're all different but they use similar cases, would there be enough room to put jacks in? Would it be feasible for this kind of circuit?

I'm on the fence with it, because it does seem limited in certain ways, but it does also seem like I could use it with some of my other gear that uses those arduino style patch cables (olegtron 4060, koma field kit, if I ever get a moog werkstatt or bastl). Does anyone know if the voltages and such would work between all these units?

I'm on the fence about the modular because I haven't heard any sounds I like coming from it in the videos that have been released thus far.

I know this is a cliched comment, but the random beeps and boops are borinnnnngggg. The modular music I like is Tangerine Dream, and other hairy Germans, making the foundations of the venue shake with these massive dramatic, pulsating sequences.

The Drum looks cool, I'm gonna get that one.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer
Y'all the new Humble Book Bundle is a whole bunch of books about computerized music from MIT Press. It seems extremely Our Thing.

here

sadus
Apr 5, 2004

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

So yeah, Logic is wonderful, but be prepared to have to pay to upgrade your equipment years down the road, maybe sooner than you might want. I know I'm complaining now, in 2019, over gear I bought almost 10 years ago, but this all actually started back in 2014, and I've just rolled with it since. So, I had bought gear that, while new at the time, was rendered 'legacy' and unusuable with OS upgrades ~4 years after.

I drove like 12 hours back in the day to buy Logic Platinum, before Apple bought Emagic and killed PC support. Tried a G5 with the IBM CPUs which was the biggest waste of money in my life. I will never forgive Apple!

Sexy Randal
Jul 26, 2006

woah
Sonic Lab has a review of the new OPZ and Nick looks so bummed throughout it lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pg4eg4XJGAY

BeigeJacket
Jul 21, 2005

Sexy Randal posted:

Sonic Lab has a review of the new OPZ and Nick looks so bummed throughout it lol

That clever little Swedish gizmo looks loving incomprehensible.

DragQueenofAngmar
Dec 29, 2009

You shall not pass!

BeigeJacket posted:

I'm on the fence about the modular because I haven't heard any sounds I like coming from it in the videos that have been released thus far.

I know this is a cliched comment, but the random beeps and boops are borinnnnngggg. The modular music I like is Tangerine Dream, and other hairy Germans, making the foundations of the venue shake with these massive dramatic, pulsating sequences.

this video is a bit more musical than the sort of grindy stuff that korg tends to put in new release vids: https://youtu.be/3CWGOwYRtdg
just one sequence but it at least shows some of the harmonies and modulation and what all’s in the synth. im waiting to see how it looks in a few months after more people have a chance to play with it

the drum does look really really cool

So Math
Jan 8, 2013

Ghostly Clothier

BeigeJacket posted:

I had pretty much the same idea for it since I already have some Bastl stuff. The Kastl in particular would benefit from that free LPG that's left open on the volca's default wiring since it has no volume control at all.

The manuals are already posted for the new volcas, and it's worth noting that the volca's tiny jacks are all set up for +-3.3 volts (0-3.3 for the envelopes), and off the top of my head I think the Bastl is 0-5 volts (Bitranger 0-9? Popsynth ???). You'd want to be careful about what's controlling what if you're bypassing the intended conversion on the way in, but the way both use a stereo cable for CV is definitely complimentary.

I kind of want two volca modulars.

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

BeigeJacket posted:

That clever little Swedish gizmo looks loving incomprehensible.

I thought that before i got mine. It just doesn't film well, though, it's not only extremely intuitive but it really eggs you on to build something out like nothing I've used, and you can take it everywhere.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Trig Discipline posted:

Y'all the new Humble Book Bundle is a whole bunch of books about computerized music from MIT Press. It seems extremely Our Thing.

here

I'm almost positive I have an older edition of that Virtual Music book, as well as I think the C-sound one, but for $15 that's a hell of a pile of book.

osker
Dec 18, 2002

Wedge Regret

Sexy Randal posted:

I wanted one, but the interface, IOS only access to a display, and incomprehensible exclusion of a sampling module made the 600$ a tough sell.

WorldWarWonderful
Jul 15, 2004
Eh?

osker posted:

I wanted one, but the interface, IOS only access to a display, and incomprehensible exclusion of a sampling module made the 600$ a tough sell.

I was a bit unimpressed with mine at first, figuring updates would compensate, but as I discovered the device more and more it has exceeded all my expectations. As with all TE gear there are limitations but there are ways around it or ways to compensate for it. It’s a very dense device. That being said if it didn’t slide easily into my pocket I’d probably have a different opinion.

For whatever it’s worth I never use the screen and haven’t found a need to yet.

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

come post with us, forever and ever and ever
Did the Elektron boys get ergot poisoning or something.
E: Elektron volca sample
https://www.elektron.se/products/modelsamples/

Startyde fucked around with this message at 14:39 on Jan 22, 2019

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

Startyde posted:

maaaaaaybe

Let me know, goon discount. Bought new from the perfect circuit in Burbank.

stillvisions
Oct 15, 2014

I really should have come up with something better before spending five bucks on this.

Sexy Randal posted:

I'm glad it's found an audience, but that audience is definitely not me. I think all of their things would hit a brick wall in my workflow when I make a four bar loop and have no idea what else to do with it. Or at least I keep telling myself that to not buy an OP-1.

augias
Apr 7, 2009

stillvisions posted:

I'm glad it's found an audience, but that audience is definitely not me. I think all of their things would hit a brick wall in my workflow when I make a four bar loop and have no idea what else to do with it. Or at least I keep telling myself that to not buy an OP-1.

Of all the sequencing hardware ive owned the opz was the only one that actually made it easy, logical, and intuitive to chain sequences into whole song patterns. Cant speak for the other machines

snorch
Jul 27, 2009
:siren: http://jexus.id.uw.edu.pl/WCOG_Synth_Patches/ :siren:

Saw this on reddit. My An1x is going to be screaming in beautiful pain tonight.

snorch fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Jan 22, 2019

osker
Dec 18, 2002

Wedge Regret

WorldWarWonderful posted:

I was a bit unimpressed with mine at first, figuring updates would compensate, but as I discovered the device more and more it has exceeded all my expectations. As with all TE gear there are limitations but there are ways around it or ways to compensate for it. It’s a very dense device. That being said if it didn’t slide easily into my pocket I’d probably have a different opinion.

For whatever it’s worth I never use the screen and haven’t found a need to yet.

Maybe you can help, if i needed to sequence a 32 note loop, do i have to break that up across 2 patterns, or is there a means of sequencing more than 16 notes?

The chained patterns is how the pocket operators work, but when it comes to the opz everyone starts talking about note duration and im like wtf ppl, just tell me if i can do more than 16 notes.

augias
Apr 7, 2009

osker posted:

Maybe you can help, if i needed to sequence a 32 note loop, do i have to break that up across 2 patterns, or is there a means of sequencing more than 16 notes?

The chained patterns is how the pocket operators work, but when it comes to the opz everyone starts talking about note duration and im like wtf ppl, just tell me if i can do more than 16 notes.

Yeah you can edit your 16 step pattern to be x2 x3 or x4 substeps. Then you need to record your sequence live, because i havent found a way to enter notes into the substeps aside from tapping live, or the step component fuckery

E: this can be across the entire pattern, or by individual track. So pattern 1 can have a 32 step kick track and a 16 step snare track, and a 64 step sample ttack But when you chain to the next pattern i think it just goes to the next pattern as soon as the shortest track ends? Cant ramember.

augias fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Jan 23, 2019

WorldWarWonderful
Jul 15, 2004
Eh?

augias posted:

Yeah you can edit your 16 step pattern to be x2 x3 or x4 substeps. Then you need to record your sequence live, because i havent found a way to enter notes into the substeps aside from tapping live, or the step component fuckery

E: this can be across the entire pattern, or by individual track. So pattern 1 can have a 32 step kick track and a 16 step snare track, and a 64 step sample ttack But when you chain to the next pattern i think it just goes to the next pattern as soon as the shortest track ends? Cant ramember.

Basically this. I set the track resolution to eight (track+shift+eight) and record live and it lets you cram pretty much whatever you want in there.

Another trick I use is multiplying steps where there are no notes to spread melodies out more. Don't forget to mix up things like your note modifier step components, conditional triggers, and jump components for just about all your needs. Here's an example of something I did a few days ago and hopefully I can explain it well:

1) I set the resolution to the slowest playback possible and live record a melody over the first eight trigs on the melody track.
2) Place a step component on trig 8 that jumps back to the start, and set a spark that makes it play twice before continuing playing the pattern.
3) Live record a melody over trigs 9 through 16 and repeat step 2 for those.
4) Have a bassline set to play at the longest resolution, but have the mixer track ONLY affect the bassline and change its key corresponding to the melody halfway through.
5) Plop down random note modifier components and sparks to add variety.

In theory I can have four completely different melodies (live recorded over trigs 1-4, 5-8, 8-12, 13-16) and program conditions at the end of each mini-sequence that jump to any set (https://www.teenageengineering.com/guides/op-z/step-components - look at the jump component) and with the conditional trigs decide when I want each part to play.

Edit: To be clear, changing the resolution doesn’t change anything except how fast the track cycles through the sixteen trigs. It doesn’t extend the length of the pattern. Fake it by recording live or using the plugins, and don’t forget to use the trig modifiers to add a little more variation.

WorldWarWonderful fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Jan 23, 2019

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

WorldWarWonderful posted:

Basically this. I set the track resolution to eight (track+shift+eight) and record live and it lets you cram pretty much whatever you want in there.

Another trick I use is multiplying steps where there are no notes to spread melodies out more. Don't forget to mix up things like your note modifier step components, conditional triggers, and jump components for just about all your needs. Here's an example of something I did a few days ago and hopefully I can explain it well:

1) I set the resolution to the slowest playback possible and live record a melody over the first eight trigs on the melody track.
2) Place a step component on trig 8 that jumps back to the start, and set a spark that makes it play twice before continuing playing the pattern.
3) Live record a melody over trigs 9 through 16 and repeat step 2 for those.
4) Have a bassline set to play at the longest resolution, but have the mixer track ONLY affect the bassline and change its key corresponding to the melody halfway through.
5) Plop down random note modifier components and sparks to add variety.

In theory I can have four completely different melodies (live recorded over trigs 1-4, 5-8, 8-12, 13-16) and program conditions at the end of each mini-sequence that jump to any set (https://www.teenageengineering.com/guides/op-z/step-components - look at the jump component) and with the conditional trigs decide when I want each part to play.

Edit: To be clear, changing the resolution doesn’t change anything except how fast the track cycles through the sixteen trigs. It doesn’t extend the length of the pattern. Fake it by recording live or using the plugins, and don’t forget to use the trig modifiers to add a little more variation.

This entire poo poo sounds like 800% more hassle than just arming a track and hitting record, maybe followed by clicking on ‘quantize’ and picking a value, and makes me so glad I never sipped the Teenage Engineering flavor-aid.

edit: to be clear, it just seems like their entire workflow is a solution in search of a problem that was solved 30 years ago with the invention of arpeggiators and midi.

osker
Dec 18, 2002

Wedge Regret
Im willing to put up with these limitations on a pocket operator, but im totally willing to to spring 200 bucks more for a deluge. I already hosed my brain up using using RPN calculators, so unless they can at least get a po33 level sampler for the 599 they can eat my rear end.

WorldWarWonderful
Jul 15, 2004
Eh?
I guess. This isn’t something I’d recommend as a first synth or for someone not looking to leave their comfort zone. I’ve a Monomachine and octatrack that do everything I need to when I’m at home, but if I’m lying in bed or on the couch or really, anywhere else, I have something that slides easily into the front pocket of my jeans or jacket pocket. I was pretty cool on it the first few weeks but like any synth, once you get used to the work flow it’s pretty easy to dial in what you want. If I just wanted another synth I could have easily picked up a deluge or analog four.

I mean, you literally can arm a track and record AND quantize on an OPZ. There is nothing to stop you from doing that. I’m just not going to complain that there’s all this extra stuff I can take advantage of. Someone asked if there was a way to do something and there was a solution.

WorldWarWonderful fucked around with this message at 03:42 on Jan 23, 2019

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

come post with us, forever and ever and ever
I think a lot of dudes just remember stuff like the MMT, QY, Galaxy+, back when it was hard, and think hey this used to be easy. I was semi interested in the Z for video but there’s a lot less there than I hoped.
Those two sonicstate videos on the OPZ are fantastic for Nick watching, he was done about two mins in :v:

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."

Top Hats Monthly posted:

I have never gotten Aphex Twin, which makes me sad because he owns a Yamaha GX-1, which I will also own someday

Aren't there only like 5 still in existence?

I just built a new computer and installed Live 10. I really like the new wavetable synth but it's still not as good a Serum.

My desk-space is limited and I still haven't gotten around to installing all of the VSTs I usually use so I'm just using my JDXI for 90% of my sounds and using it as a controller with the other 10% being samples/drums/FM bass.

Anyways since I just setup my studio for the first time in like a year does anyone want to do another Synthgoon comp album?

I was thinking we could do another BonerJam comp album if anyone else is interested. I feel like the JDXI would be perfect for it and I'm really digging into this keyboard.

So Math
Jan 8, 2013

Ghostly Clothier
I'm down.

E:

snorch posted:

Always happy to get some more DX7 patches. Incidentally, who is WCOG, besides the World Congress of Gastroenterology?

So Math fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Jan 24, 2019

snorch
Jul 27, 2009
His other alias, WC Olo Garb.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

quote:

Always happy to get some more DX7 patches. Incidentally, who is WCOG, besides the World Congress of Gastroenterology?

https://youtu.be/VV062iZ711E

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

Should I get a cz 101

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

quote:

who is WCOG?
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=bXV4RsEy8b8

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

quote:

who the bloody gently caress is WCOG?!?
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=uUuRrwot3PY

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002
That last one is why I’m simultaneously incredibly aroused and saddened by that patch dump.

Aroused because now I have the patches used in that video, saddened because I’ve had an ebay alert for a Kawai SX-240 for almost ten years now, but still have never been able to snatch one. :smith:

Clavavisage
Nov 12, 2011

A MIRACLE posted:

Should I get a cz 101

Yes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

W424
Oct 21, 2010

snorch posted:

I grabbed the jexus dx7 sounds but mostly interested in how his story concludes in bio part 2.
I must have watched most if not all of his videos in my worst hoarding phase, roughly at the same time frame he was making them.

Good thing I got sick of piles of synths and moved on.. to loving eurorack.